Thai Govt Faces Growing Pressure: Flood

webfact

Perhaps laughing up their sleeves is the better expression to use. To quote yourself, "It is truly sad to see what hasn't been done, that should have been done, and was predicted by many." Indeed I agree 100% but don't just point your vindictive finger at Yingluck, all previous governments, including Abhisit's share the blame. You and others just find it politically useful to blame it all on her.

I heartily agree that all prior governments must share the blame - going back more than 20 years - for not providing proper infrastructure to mitigate flood damage throughout the country.

But I don't find it "politically useful" as you say, to blame it all on her. Not politically useful at all, as I have no influence on politics in this country. However, I can look at what has and has not been done, and rightfully criticize the lack of action of the current government to mitigate the floods as much as possible, given the existing infrastructure; and criticize their lack of organization and action to lessen the burden of those whose lives who have been so dreadfully disrupted by the floods.

"I heartily agree that all prior governments must share the blame ", then we are in agreement. I just feel it is wrong to dump all the blame on her shoulders. Even if she knew what to do, which I doubt, she could not achieve it in a few months. Abhisit has less excuse, he had longer to do something in and was certainly forewarned, after all this is a regular event.

Like the scorpion, you just couldn't resist your nature. Abhisit had allocated funds and the work is in process. OTOH if you want to distribute blame back over the last decade proportional to who had the most time in power............. :D

unlike the Australian tunnel web spider the scorpion only attacks when provokedlaugh.gif

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps laughing up their sleeves is the better expression to use. To quote yourself, "It is truly sad to see what hasn't been done, that should have been done, and was predicted by many." Indeed I agree 100% but don't just point your vindictive finger at Yingluck, all previous governments, including Abhisit's share the blame. You and others just find it politically useful to blame it all on her.

I heartily agree that all prior governments must share the blame - going back more than 20 years - for not providing proper infrastructure to mitigate flood damage throughout the country.

But I don't find it "politically useful" as you say, to blame it all on her. Not politically useful at all, as I have no influence on politics in this country. However, I can look at what has and has not been done, and rightfully criticize the lack of action of the current government to mitigate the floods as much as possible, given the existing infrastructure; and criticize their lack of organization and action to lessen the burden of those whose lives who have been so dreadfully disrupted by the floods.

"I heartily agree that all prior governments must share the blame ", then we are in agreement. I just feel it is wrong to dump all the blame on her shoulders. Even if she knew what to do, which I doubt, she could not achieve it in a few months. Abhisit has less excuse, he had longer to do something in and was certainly forewarned, after all this is a regular event.

Like the scorpion, you just couldn't resist your nature. Abhisit had allocated funds and the work is in process. OTOH if you want to distribute blame back over the last decade proportional to who had the most time in power............. :D

I don't buy any of that shared blame crapola. It is THIS government that has known what to expect for their entire time in office but chose to prioritize their agenda on much much less urgent matters. Some would say self serving matters not in anyway of benefit the country as a whole. Take a look at threads in the news section from two months ago. Alarm bells going off all over the place about what was coming. Yes these are historic levels of flooding but people have died needlessly and continue to be ill endangered by the incompetent and inadequate response of this government.

By the same reasoning I blame the Bush administration and whatever state and local governments that were in power at the time for the mishandling of the Hurricane Katrina effort.

Flood Relief Operation Command ( FROC ) -- you'd be better off calling it the Flood Relief Operation Group ( FROG ) under the current circumstances, you'd stand a better chance. " Not about preferential treatment but we need to protect the economic zones " -- PM. " We have given priority to Bangkok. We must protect it " -- Justice Minister. No priority or preferential treatment there then.....Rural ecomomies don't rate the same treatment then ? These people will just be left to pick up what pieces are left, if any, and try and rebuild their lives while the economic barons will be sitting high and dry in their luxury homes and apartments . " What, the limo got flooded ? Well go and buy a new one " :sick:

You have to look at it in economic terms. It is the taxes paid by the businesses in BKK, that supply the funds, to pay for the populist policy bribes, that induce the people of the north to vote for the idiots that are now in power.

Or, you could look at this way; if PTP weren't going to spend B410 billion on a rice subsidy scam, there might be some funds in Treasury for flood mitigation work, and perhaps even a little left over to improve the education system.

BTW Of the millions of people in BKK, I would safely say that 99.9999% do not own a limo, and that 99% don't own a car/pickup.

I was refering to the economic barons and their limo's, not your average everyday hard-working employees.....

If Bangkok is flooded, then everyone in the country loses -- this is where Thailand meets the rest of the world, where export deals for produce are hammered out, where the service industries all operate, where foreign companies run their regional operations, all of which benefit everyone indirectly.

It's also a major tourist hub, and the image of a flooded Bangkok will do nothing for the tourist industry as a whole, nor would the inundation of the airport. And it is much easier and cheaper to pump out some rai of rice paddy than to clean up the MRT after flood waters get in there.

It is absurd to suggest that Bangkok is being saved simply for the benefit of its residents.

" And it is much easier and cheaper to pump out some rai of rice paddy " -- you haven't got a clue really, have you ? If the rice farmer loses his crop, that means he's probably lost his total income for that year, not to mention his loss of staple food ( rice ) for the next year AND his seed for planting the following year. Maybe you could enlighten us as to where he can make any claim for compensation.....

Worst flooding in something like 35 years, government in power a little over 2 months, Bangkok still dry, and it's all the new government's fault and they are incompetent. Do I have that right?

Yes you do.

Thank you for bringing some sense to the table.

Thank you. I just wanted confirmation that I understood the idiocy of that line of argument. It seemed so stupid that I thought I might have misunderstood it. Apparently not.

unlike the Australian tunnel web spider the scorpion only attacks when provokedlaugh.gif

Not according to Aesop! BTW we have Funnel web and Trap-door Spiders, both nasty little buggers!

If Bangkok is flooded, then everyone in the country loses -- this is where Thailand meets the rest of the world, where export deals for produce are hammered out, where the service industries all operate, where foreign companies run their regional operations, all of which benefit everyone indirectly.

It's also a major tourist hub, and the image of a flooded Bangkok will do nothing for the tourist industry as a whole, nor would the inundation of the airport. And it is much easier and cheaper to pump out some rai of rice paddy than to clean up the MRT after flood waters get in there.

It is absurd to suggest that Bangkok is being saved simply for the benefit of its residents.

" And it is much easier and cheaper to pump out some rai of rice paddy " -- you haven't got a clue really, have you ? If the rice farmer loses his crop, that means he's probably lost his total income for that year, not to mention his loss of staple food ( rice ) for the next year AND his seed for planting the following year. Maybe you could enlighten us as to where he can make any claim for compensation.....

He can apply for compensation from the government, who will give him what they deem appropriate. This will be sourced from the taxes paid by the people of BKK, if there is any money left over after paying for the rice pledging subsidy scam which is supposed to support his income but which is really a Thaksin inspired criminal conspiracy.

Of course we could allow BKK to flood also, so there would be no compensation to give him because the economic engine has also ground to a halt. Although that might appeal to some distorted sense of "fair play", it really wouldn't help anybody, would it?

Flood Relief Operation Command ( FROC ) -- you'd be better off calling it the Flood Relief Operation Group ( FROG ) under the current circumstances, you'd stand a better chance. " Not about preferential treatment but we need to protect the economic zones " -- PM. " We have given priority to Bangkok. We must protect it " -- Justice Minister. No priority or preferential treatment there then.....Rural ecomomies don't rate the same treatment then ? These people will just be left to pick up what pieces are left, if any, and try and rebuild their lives while the economic barons will be sitting high and dry in their luxury homes and apartments . " What, the limo got flooded ? Well go and buy a new one " :sick:

You are ignoring the fact that there are millions of average folk in Bangkok as well as millions of poor people who are working their butts off, but barely keeping their heads above water.

Please re-read my post -- I am not referring to the average folk of Bangkok or the millions of poor(ly paid workers from the provinces ) who are doing their best to keep their heads above water, but to the ECONOMIC BARONS who seem to rate special treatment......thank you.

They put a plug (central bangkok) in the Chao Praya. The natural flow is blocked. What do you expect, the water has to go somewhere. They forgot that they needed bigger canals around Bangkok or thought it was too expensive. I can imagine people destroy the dykes to protect their houses.

This is a very true statement. I remember back 20 years or so, there were canals everywhere around Bangkok, but now they've all been filled in. The water has no where to flow. Except of course down the streets and alleys.

You have to look at it in economic terms. It is the taxes paid by the businesses in BKK, that supply the funds, to pay for the populist policy bribes, that induce the people of the north to vote for the idiots that are now in power.

Or, you could look at this way; if PTP weren't going to spend B410 billion on a rice subsidy scam, there might be some funds in Treasury for flood mitigation work, and perhaps even a little left over to improve the education system.

BTW Of the millions of people in BKK, I would safely say that 99.9999% do not own a limo, and that 99% don't own a car/pickup.

If 99% don't own a car, how come there are so many traffic jams?

How safely would you say that? There are over 2.5 million, cars, pickups/trucks and private minivans in Bangkok, so if that is 1% then the population of Bangkok according to you is around 250 million people. No wonder the place is sinking.

Edited by metisdead
Do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes.

How safely would you say that? There are over 2.5 million, cars, pickups/trucks and private minivans in Bangkok, so if that is 1% then the population of Bangkok according to you is around 250 million people. No wonder the place is sinking.

With the government policy of excise tax rebates for first-time car buyers, specifically aimed at all poor people who don't have a car yet, I'm sure we'll manage to double the number of cars in Bangkok and when k. Thaksin comes back he can solve the traffic jam problem again in six months time :D

You are ignoring the fact that there are millions of average folk in Bangkok as well as millions of poor people who are working their butts off, but barely keeping their heads above water.

Please re-read my post -- I am not referring to the average folk of Bangkok or the millions of poor(ly paid workers from the provinces ) who are doing their best to keep their heads above water, but to the ECONOMIC BARONS who seem to rate special treatment......thank you.

finnomick1 - just admit that you lost the argument. Of course it is better to save Bangkok. That's where most of the money is made. Maybe you need to take an Economics 101 course.

Yes the PM wants to protect Thailands economic zones.....what a joke. She only wants to protect immediate Thai interests. Hitech, where the owners are mostly foreigners, were hung out to dry. All show and no do..

Just curious, did any SC Assets projects get flooded?

Worst flooding in something like 35 years, government in power a little over 2 months, Bangkok still dry, and it's all the new government's fault and they are incompetent. Do I have that right?

No. This new government is merely ineffectual, as it has been on other issues. The flooding was bound to happen, and will continue happening in successive years until most of Bkk is under year-round standing fetid water. It's simply a bad site for a very large city. Time to move on to higher ground. The turtles in the trash-choked klongs don't mind, though

I plead guilty to exaggeration. My apologies - though the limo figure may be more accurate.

I plead guilty to exaggeration. My apologies - though the limo figure may be more accurate.

Yes, maybe so: 15 X 106 (BKK Pop) X 1 X 10-4 = 15 X 102 or 1,500 (limo owners). I wonder how many limos there actually are in Bangkok. Anyway, most of them would be owned by limo services ... except, perhaps, for the Shinawatra family and one or two others. Ah, wealth-envy ... isn't it great?

Edited by MaxYakov

smile.gif Good recovery mate!

smile.gif Good recovery mate!

I expected someone to remind me that there was a cheap piece of garbage (Hyundai?) about Corolla size called a Limo that was used a lot as a taxi around 10 years ago. Probably still a few working in BKK.:D

finnomick1 - just admit that you lost the argument. Of course it is better to save Bangkok. That's where most of the money is made. Maybe you need to take an Economics 101 course.

You don't really expect me to respond to your drivel..................................do you ?

Edited by finnomick1