Where Is It Flooding ?

anon7867763

Not wishing to hijack the thread, but just wanted to say a quick thank you for all the replies.

My wife has vetoed Chiang Mai as she is worn out with the travelling, and also the number of hospitals ( we have visited several in bkk in the past few months)

We will just have to sit tight and see how the situation develops over the next week or so. It could well be that we have the baby here in Sukhothai (which is my wife's home city.)

Cheers again

Edited by themikeymeister

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Northern Phraya Suren road - Khlong Samwa.

This is as of yesterday evening.

The lake at the private lake garden moo ban on Phraya Suren Soi 39 has been rising for a week or so, and Soi 39 is actually higher than the main Phraya Suren road, but it's high point is at the entrance to the moo ban.

The lake has now risen to that point, and the water is flowing down into Phraya Suren road, which is now definitely classed as flooded from the bridge over the Khlong (near the Tesco Express) at what would be Soi 37.

Panya Indra road was generally clear, a couple of large puddles at the time just. The area around Fashion Island was dry as a bone...

Khu Bon road east of the ring road was clear at the time, but an earlier poster is saying Wat Khu Bon (on the west side of the ring road) is now flooded...

Note: Walls may stop water initially... But as they're not built down to bedrock (difficult given how far down bedrock would be), water seeps through the soil under the walls. (Walls do slow down the process, but the water level will still rise behind the walls and other barriers). Once it starts to rise, it will continue until the water levels equalise. (unless you have a pump to pump it out as fast as it's seeping in).

(Have relocated to Pattaya myself - kids now going to the sister school here of their school in Bangkok and I think I'm probably here until their Bangkok school reopens).

Edited by bkk_mike

Phet Kasaem was dry from sai 4 east at least 10 km an hour ago, but since then we've had water rapidly rising in the area of our plant at the top of soi 126. We can audibly hear the water running down soi 126 outside our wall. Since the bottom of soi 126 floods first in a rain, I think that water will go quickly to Phet Kasaem.

As if we do not have enough to worry about, Vibhavadi is flooded, and this little note drops out of the other news.

"Small nuclear reactor on Vibhavadi is safe as the facility is much higher than the road."

<deleted>? Thais running a nuke reactor in a flooded area. Genius. I am leaving town tomorrow. Enough is enough. S

Edited by bonobo
changed font size

As if we do not have enough to worry about, Vibhavadi is flooded, and this little note drops out of the other news. "Small nuclear reactor on Vibhavadi is safe as the facility is much higher than the road."

<deleted>? Thais running a nuke reactor in a flooded area. Genius. I am leaving town tomorrow. Enough is enough.

S

This must be a top secret reactor since Thailand aint got any Nuclear reactors.

As if we do not have enough to worry about, Vibhavadi is flooded, and this little note drops out of the other news. "Small nuclear reactor on Vibhavadi is safe as the facility is much higher than the road."

<deleted>? Thais running a nuke reactor in a flooded area. Genius. I am leaving town tomorrow. Enough is enough.

Bit off topic, but the nuclear reactor is described here

http://www.tint.or.th/en/trr1.html

"TINT houses the first research reactor in Thailand. The full name of the reactor is Thai Research Reactor-1/Modification 1 (TRR-1/M1). It was first operated on 27 October 1962. The modification which began in 1975 brought the operation power up to 2 MW."

Bit off topic, but the nuclear reactor is described here

http://www.tint.or.th/en/trr1.html

"TINT houses the first research reactor in Thailand. The full name of the reactor is Thai Research Reactor-1/Modification 1 (TRR-1/M1). It was first operated on 27 October 1962. The modification which began in 1975 brought the operation power up to 2 MW."

Have they begun shutting the reactor down? I don't think they want to wait until the water reaches their upper lip to start that process.

A couple of sat pics for a comparison between 2008 and yesterday.... Seems like a heck of a lot more water than what was reported released in the 3 dams!! Open these and see if I'm wrong.... Does anyone have pics of the 3 dams in question? I'm interested in there present levels VISUALLY instead of what the RID writes in it's reports

post-54111-0-20498600-1320240673_thumb.j

post-54111-0-72004100-1320240707_thumb.j

Cambodia looks worst off than we are.

In Bangkae Phetkasem road is a disaster. Kanchanaphisek is closed also. Boromchachonnani and Phetkasem are done. That leaves only Rama 2 road as the only access to the south and west of bkk.

It took me half a day to get to my home in phutthamonthon sai 2 and back.

Can't drive because in some places the water is too deep, can't use a boat because in some places it is dry and not deep enough, and obviously can't use both.

Some people made the best of the situation, but in a week I guarantee the population will get depressed if the waters don't recede soon.

The water is moving south on Kanchanapisek. It will be in Bangbon within 1-2 days. Bangkae and nong kham didn't make it.

S

OMG!!!! better get to the airport!!!!

In Bangkae Phetkasem road is a disaster. Kanchanaphisek is closed also. Boromchachonnani and Phetkasem are done. That leaves only Rama 2 road as the only access to the south and west of bkk.

It took me half a day to get to my home in phutthamonthon sai 2 and back.

Can't drive because in some places the water is too deep, can't use a boat because in some places it is dry and not deep enough, and obviously can't use both.

Some people made the best of the situation, but in a week I guarantee the population will get depressed if the waters don't recede soon.

The water is moving south on Kanchanapisek. It will be in Bangbon within 1-2 days. Bangkae and nong kham didn't make it.

I wonder how much they can minimize the water flowing onto Rama 2 Road. Some parts are slightly elevated, but it certainly has some lower patches.

An extended period of being inaccessible will make problems everywhere much worse.

Heard from my village head that the water in my village swelled up quite a bit in the afternoon yesterday but has since gone down and stabilized. He assures me that I can still get my CRV down Watcharaphon Road, at least to my village. If things get too deep he'll call and tell me where the big truck will be shuttling us from. I'll get you guys an update after I go in.

Edited by tominbkk

Suwintawong (Highway 304) is pretty well flooded. I headed out to work, but couldn't make it out of the Moo Bahn. Large vehicles were moving along and pickups, but I saw no cars--except the one that was pushed into the Moo bahn because it had stalled. The bottom of the doors on pickup trucks were submerged.

I would assume that Ramkamheng and Romklao would also have water.

A couple of sat pics for a comparison between 2008 and yesterday.... Seems like a heck of a lot more water than what was reported released in the 3 dams!! Open these and see if I'm wrong.... Does anyone have pics of the 3 dams in question? I'm interested in there present levels VISUALLY instead of what the RID writes in it's reports

Cambodia looks worst off than we are.

mdechgan,

I think you'll find water per sq km more in Thailand.... VN doesn't look very good either!

Can anyone give me an update on Lad Prao/Suthisan area. I live Vipavadee 16 near Thai Rath and Thai Air.

I am away from BKK but I need to get back for work and family stuff. I am booked to come back Monday, but I can extend 2-3 days. I am worried that I won't get back in taxi if soi floods this weekend.

If the water is at Don Muang and Kasertsart, is my area next? I know that a crystal ball would help!!

Eddy

Did get an SMS this morning from a friend on Klong 2, Nayhon Nakyok rd. across from Montana Village. She had to evacuate last last week since the waters were over 1M high in her home.

Finally, some good news:

"Woke up this morning with good news from our Oma...

The water in downstairs of our house is getting dried. Only a few water left in the kitchen and downstairs toilet."

Thaivisa and the community +10.

Thai Government 0

Phet Kasaem soi 126 flooding at the top (north) end about 30 cm. There was a strong current heading down soi 126 all night. I don't know where it went. We did a recon about 3:30 am and the Phet Kasaem end was not flooded more than a heavy rain normally does. There was some flooding under the bridge just before sai 5, but passable.

Can anyone give me an update on Lad Prao/Suthisan area. I live Vipavadee 16 near Thai Rath and Thai Air.

I am away from BKK but I need to get back for work and family stuff. I am booked to come back Monday, but I can extend 2-3 days. I am worried that I won't get back in taxi if soi floods this weekend.

If the water is at Don Muang and Kasertsart, is my area next? I know that a crystal ball would help!!

Eddy

Eddy, I work at Lat Prao intersection and live on Soi Aree Phaholyothin. I came by taxi today and no problems, no water at all. Saphan Kwai area was dry though the khlong just past the intersection before you get to Chatuchak looked like it was near the top. I don't know about Suthisarn Rd or Lad Prao Rds themselves but Phaoloyothin was OK someways past Lad Prao intersection, although they said yesterday there was some flooding at Major Ratchayothin. The further you go up Phaholyothin or Viapwadee of course the more likely you're going to run into problems.

Eddy

Eddy, I work at Lat Prao intersection and live on Soi Aree Phaholyothin. I came by taxi today and no problems, no water at all. Saphan Kwai area was dry though the khlong just past the intersection before you get to Chatuchak looked like it was near the top. I don't know about Suthisarn Rd or Lad Prao Rds themselves but Phaoloyothin was OK someways past Lad Prao intersection, although they said yesterday there was some flooding at Major Ratchayothin. The further you go up Phaholyothin or Viapwadee of course the more likely you're going to run into problems.

useful thanks!

I know that klong...it's normally low.

Is there some kind of barrier that is stopping the water which wants to come down from Don Muang? I left BKK 7 days ago because Lad prao was 'due any day'. My neighbour says it is still dry so far.

Edited by pauleddy

This morning here in Don Muang when I went downstairs it seems like the water may have stopped rising, when I looked outside it looked water mark on the outside wall would suggest that the water might have decreased, I assume that the rate of decrease would be faster outside than in.

Heard from my village head that the water in my village swelled up quite a bit in the afternoon yesterday but has since gone down and stabilized. He assures me that I can still get my CRV down Watcharaphon Road, at least to my village. If things get too deep he'll call and tell me where the big truck will be shuttling us from. I'll get you guys an update after I go in.

Thanks again Tom. You are a trooper for hanging in there. Looking forward to your next update.

Hi. I just got into Bangkok midnight last night and bunk in with a friend in Ramkhampaeng.

I live in Ramintra Soi 5. Can anyone please advise me how to get into Ramintra Soi 5 or for that matter can I at least get on Ramintra Road at the entrance of Soi 5 or Soi 19. Is there any boat transport to my Moo Baan Patra?

This morning here in Don Muang when I went downstairs it seems like the water may have stopped rising, when I looked outside it looked water mark on the outside wall would suggest that the water might have decreased, I assume that the rate of decrease would be faster outside than in.

Good morning Bangkok,

i can concur i live klong 4 lam luk ka road,

the water has stopped rising now, and it looks to have gone down a wee bit,

but in khu bon yesterday my friends house took about 10 cm of water for the first time, so to me it seems that as lam luk ka goes down , khu bon goes up, its a bit of a balancing at this moment in time , me thinks.

anyway i got to work by pushing my new pcx through waist high dirty black water at lam luk ka , saw a big snake in the water, nice, but wow love this scooter, starts first time after being submerged in waist high water, i think i will now enter the Dakar in durance rally with my scooter, i feeling very brave and proud of myself,

my god i am living the dream, or maybe living in a dream, got to my school and they said, (what are you doing here?) nice,

I visited Bhumipol Dam on last weekend. Here's a picture of the dam and reservoir. I took the picture with my phone, so the quality isn't great, but the little white speck near the middle of the dam shows where the 260 meter level (full) is. The water is currently about 1/2 a meter below that mark.

6308036154_b193fce2ce.jpg

Here is the spillway below the dam. As you can see, they are not releasing much water.

6307521219_12c7cdfe55.jpg

Mods, perhaps the OP & all of the responses, including this one, can be moved to a different thread... perhaps titled "Conspiracy theories about the floods origin" <_<

Edited by otherstuff1957

I have returned from Major Rachayothin.

We have a problem.

Water is coming from Rachada-Pisek from the direction of Mae Nam Chao Praya.

This is what happened at Kaset a few days ago. Water started showing up on Ngam Wong Wan and it spread to Phahon Yothin. Dry patches between Kaset and Saphan Mai vanished overnight, and Kaset continued to flood.

Now the water has jumped from above to Sena all the way to Rachayothin. It's still in the pseudo-erotic phase (lapping at the intersection and the road surface is just starting to get wet). But, Rachada-Pisek in front of The Avenue is flooded curb to curb.

All is dry on RP across PY, and PY to Lad Prao is still dry. (Are we all clear on "dry" reports now? When there's water on one side of the street but not the other, sing it from the rooftops! Or, when somebody asks about a specific neighborhood, sound off!)

Now I'm going to make a prediction:

Water will spread and rise but it may not really advance for 24 hours. Friday noon, all bets are off. Saturday is when we might start getting our feet wet at Lad Prao intersection. Surfing will occur sometime between next week and American Thanksgiving.

Speaking of Lad Prao, I haven't been to Chok Chai 4 or Big C Imperal for awhile and I really don't want to go. Can people between Rachada-Pisek and The Mall Bangkapi sound off?

post-32175-0-49826600-1320287674_thumb.j

post-32175-0-11807100-1320287678_thumb.j

post-32175-0-29080800-1320287682_thumb.j

post-32175-0-38414400-1320287686_thumb.j

post-32175-0-46761200-1320287690_thumb.j

post-32175-0-15207100-1320287706_thumb.j

post-32175-0-83636800-1320287712_thumb.j

post-32175-0-31948500-1320287715_thumb.j

post-32175-0-81965700-1320287721_thumb.j

post-32175-0-59655400-1320287730_thumb.j

post-32175-0-90949700-1320287733_thumb.j

post-32175-0-76242800-1320287737_thumb.j

post-32175-0-20257500-1320287741_thumb.j

post-32175-0-67831900-1320288563_thumb.j

Glad to see you are OK and back online. Thanks again for the phone updates.

Watch out for those snakes. There are 15 green Mambas on the loose in Pak Kret.

hope your ok too,

me thinks you are in the right place , at this moment in time, sorry to here about your house, but lets hope the water does not hang around for to long, as the water in lam luk ka goes down , in three or four days time khu bon should start to go down,

anyway who really knows anything, but keep safe,and keep dry,

Edited by scott1999

The flooding map is now showing Highway 7 as being under water, can anyone confirm this ?

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=218138482391059342984.000492e56b7863b0ebfb7

Don't know about Nr.7, but this map is not accurate at this time. There is flooding down past Cheang Wattana/Ram Inthra and down to Kaset intersection/Yeak Ratchayothin