Trying To Identify This Fish

Lopburi99

I have been told a certain fish sold at vendor markets here in Lopburi (and elsewhere I assume) is high in Omega 3 oil content. The shiny looking fish is about 5-9" long and it's head is always pointing down, very distinctive and odd looking. I've heard it referred to as 'ba tu' but I can't find anything about on the web. I was told it was a good substitute for fresh salmon, which is an Omega 3 rich fish. I can't even find a photo of one anywhere so unless somebody posts one I'll take a photo the next time I am at the market. Once I identify it I can check into it's nutritional value.

I've never seen it live or being prepared at the market, it is always packaged in plastic film on styrofoam about 2-3 per package.

I just found out my favorite fish which we have been buying fresh at market and eating almost daily is actually (red) tilapia. Unfortunately I have read from various sources tilapia is higher in Omega 6 (not the good Omega) than it is in Omega 3. It is also rated high in cholesterol, and if that isn't bad enough, one source claims it has blood clotting issues - definitely NOT the fish for me with my heart disease! Therefore I am trying to find out more about batu.

Edited by Lopburi99

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Try Saba fish also, very tasty and high oil content. Meat is very firm almost like a land animal, with thick bones so no chance of swallowing any.

its the silver and black striped fish that's usually about 8".