Looking For Adsl Solution

Temp

Looking for a good ADSL solution is not very easy I think. I have some questions about this. One of the largest problems is finding a condo where it is possible to have a private fixed TOT line.

1. Are there any ISP's that offer more than 512/256 within TT/T or True network.

2. If I need a TOT line for higher bandwidth which areas of Bangkok would it be possible to get a TOT line?

Needless to say I would very much like to hear from people that have 1,5-2mbps ADSL, what kind of telephone company/ISP combination they have and their approximate location. Also of interest would be the quality of this combination in terms of advertised bandwidth vs. actual international bandwidth. I know this is an issue in Thailand and have read quite a bit about it now.:o Quality of course depends on their actual congestion ratio, network equipment and so on so getting info with working combinations is the best way.:-)

Cheers

I am prepared for a lot of tweaking and I would have the best equipment for this available as I will be running a linux router.:o

Do not think I haven't done research and ask because I am lazy. The problem with most posts is that they tell about combinations that are not working. The particular situation that is not working might or might not apply to all users and all districts because line quality is different, number of users in an area is different. Also I am having trouble finding an ISP that will give you more than 512kbps when not using a TOT line and I am having problems finding condos that will let you have a private TOT line.:-) KSC for example will only let you have 1mbit unless you have a TOT line, then they offer 2mbit. CSLoxInfo offers 4mbit if you have a TOT line, but in other cases they offer only 512kbps. From what I've read I'd rather not have True as the ISP I guess.:D

The most important though is that I would like to know about the best working combinations of telephone line/ISP in Bangkok because there are so many factors involved that the best way is to look at the result and not hard to find factors. This might also differ from area to area in Bangkok so that is why I would like to know apprx. locations to look for a condo in order to have the best chance of getting half good internet.

Cheers

You could use IpStar on Thaicom satellites if you have the money for it. For me it has to much retrictions but it works if you can not get a fixed line. But it is possible to get 2Mb/2Mb with satellite....price :D

http://www.ipstar.com/en/sp_Thailand.asp

http://www.csloxinfo.com/broadband/ipstar4_en.asp#1

In Korat where i am staying i pay my neighbour 200 Baht a month for connecting my ADSL on his fixed line, this was for me the cheapest solution. Maybe you can ask around where you are going to live. ADSL Maxnet Life 1024/512 kbps you can get for 4000 baht but it is better you take the home package Speed 512/256 at 790 Baht because there is not much difference in the speed.

When i am in Belgium i use VDSL 9 Mbps/400 Kbps, maybe one day Thailand is ready for this. for now whe can only dream about this. :o

Temp I think we all understand your desire to locate acceptable accomodations where you can be served with the best ADSL service. If this were some Western countries I would say that it would be fairly easy to obtain reliable information allowing you to make an informed decision. The reality of the current situation here is that service (reliability, performance, domestic throughout, international throughout, customer service, billing) is highly variable, day in, day out.

Based on the limited research I did, I would recommend the following:

- start to look at apartments, ask the agent/landlord/owner if there is a fixed line, ask for the provider's name and the number for the line. With the number you can check service availability with ISPs/DSL providers. If there is no line currently, or if the current ones are used to capacity, ask if a new one can be installed, preferrably by TOT.

- talk to potential, future neighbors. A first-hand, local reference is usually the best you can do.

- visit http://www.adslthailand.com/ , if can read/write Thai you should be able tot get all the information you need. If not they do have an English forum, and lots of good links.

- finding accomodations close to the serving exchange will help to insure the best available speeds (between your computer and the DSLAM, after that your location is not a factor). You can locate telephone exchanges, and telephone service offices on the ThinkNet MapMagic CD + Large Paper Map Bangkok 2004-2005 199 Baht, which is available in most bookstores and a variety of other retail outlets where maps are sold. I cannot vouch for the accuracy of this map, nor can it help you determine the exact street served by a particular exchange.

I think you are looking for a first hand reference here? Perhaps from someone already living in a certain apartment building who has good service. Can anyone help, maybe with a PM to Temp?

I do know that people who live in the Omni building (condos/apartments/serviced apartments, Sukhumvit Soi 4), and in Saranjai Mansions (apartments/condos on Sukhumvit Soi 6) do have ADSL, however I cannot vouch for the speeds and performance.

Good luck, I honestly do not think you will have a problem finding a place but you may not be able to do that until you are in Bangkok and able to spend a week or so looking for an acceptable place.

First hand references are most welcome for sure.

Also maybe something is going to happen soon about international bandwidth? From what I have read so far it would seem that domestic bandwidth is quite ok. Add to this the (recent maybe, I haven't watched closely for that long) offers for 4mbit ADSL and the fact that I was also able to find 6/6mbps and 10/10mbps VDSL all of a sudden. Add to this the information here:

http://www.rediff.com/money/2005/aug/01band.htm

and maybe one can see things starting to move. Is there was a sudden improvement in the international bandwidth that would mean there would be domestic bandwidth to handle that increase hopefully.

(As for conspiracy theories.:o Maybe the recent crackdown on DVD/CD piracy and Internet pr0n is intended to clean the local web and scare pirates so it will not look so bad when easier accessible from the outside. Just a thought nothing serious.:-) )

From reading the map here: http://iir.ngi.nectec.or.th/internet/map/current.html

it would seem that Asia Infonet has by far greater bandwidth both to NIX and to IIG than it's competitors and looks like an interesting choice. However when trying to locate offers from this comapny one ends up at True's websites so I guess Asia Infonet is the company handling the network related side of things for True. Even though many here are having problems with True this strongly suggests they may be a viable alternative. Any comments?

Asia Infonet = True. Sorry.

My suggestion is to take a crapshot with a TOT line and the 4Mb package with CSLoxinfo. At least you'll have a direct 200MB fiber optic link to SingTel.

melus offers sound and succinct advice. This would be the Home Plus 4096 package from CSLoxInfo, for 2,400 baht per month (exclusive of 7% VAT). The key is having an existing TOT fixed copper telephone line, or getting one installed. I am not sure what the installation fees are, but my monthly TOT line fee is 214 (200 + 7% VAT) baht per month. Others have reported paying 100 baht per month for a TOT fixed line. Both my TOT fixed line and my CSLoxInfo ADSL accounts are in my landlords name. They include the original TOT bill for the number assigned to me with my monthly rental invoice. I pay the CSLoxInfo ADSL bill, which for me is 1,070 baht per month (inclusive of VAT, I have the Home Plus 1024 package)), directly to CSLoxInfo in cash at the nearest office. Either I get an email from CSLoxInfo and/or the landlord gives me the paper bill they received in the mail. I pay in advance, so I paid for service for Nov. 1 - 30 on Nov 10 (this month) and the bill was due by Nov 20.

Note that in all cases, excepting a single-unit, your line will be terminated and re-connected somewhere within the apartment/condominium complex, typically at or near their telephone switch. Any connections in the line reduce the potential DSL speed, and the in-house wiring distances need to be considered, in addition to the distance to the serving exchange.