Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Ubuntu 11.10 Is Released And Nobody Is Upgrading?

Richard-BKK

I did an upgrade last Friday. I am running AMD 64Bit on a Vaio

I have and a few problems that have greatly helped in my Linux self training.

• My display returned to 2D (Nvidia 310M Graphics) but an update to the x-swat PPA latest driver fixed that.
  • One major problem with QBittorrent caused by an old PPA trying to load 2 versions at the same time (Many thanks to , Christophe Dumez of Qbittorrent for helping to sort that
  • A problem with VLC caused by trying to get Banshee working (eventually abanded Banshee as I would rather have VLC.

Overall I like Oneiric it. There are a few changes that will take a little getting used to. I have grown to like Unity since its first release having down several tweaks, but may one day try the Gnome 3 interface now it is a part of the standard PPA

My one remaining annoyance is that mounted drives are no longer shown on the desktop. I know many people did not like that and I have found no end of posts of how to reomove it in Natty and other builds, but none as to how to get it back in Oneiric. Before you ask reversing the steps used in natty to hide the drive is not an option oin oneiric

Upgrading as we speak....

And the network is the noticeable issue so far. Both wired and wireless is corrupt/not working.

My wireless network disconnected during the upgrade phase which was not surprising, but as soon as I had done the reboot to complete instllation all worked well

Upgrading as we speak....

And the network is the noticeable issue so far. Both wired and wireless is corrupt/not working.

My wireless network disconnected during the upgrade phase which was not surprising, but as soon as I had done the reboot to complete instllation all worked well

The Wireless network interface required the NDIS wrapper, I am trying to get that configured again. The wired I have no clue. Dead.

The Wireless network interface required the NDIS wrapper, I am trying to get that configured again. The wired I have no clue. Dead.

Nope. Didn't help. Completely dead. Lots of errors. Firmware etc.

So, after spending the better part of the Tuesday trying to upgrade from 11.04 to 11.10 the verdict is........A SACK OF <deleted>. I wont even attempt sorting out everything, that's how bad it is.

I'll be surprised if the release itself is as flaky as the upgrader, but even so its pretty much piss poor. I'll wipe the entire installation and start from scratch....

Installed it on my home pc while bored.

Not a fan of unity or gnome 3.

XFCE is alright but have problems with one of my most used programs (qbittorrent opens but the windows is never visible).

Installed the gnome-classic-replacement and while almost being the good old gnome it misses some major functionality.

Next time im bored at home I think a reinstall of 10.10 is in order.

Installed it on my home pc while bored.

Not a fan of unity or gnome 3.

XFCE is alright but have problems with one of my most used programs (qbittorrent opens but the windows is never visible).

Installed the gnome-classic-replacement and while almost being the good old gnome it misses some major functionality.

Next time im bored at home I think a reinstall of 10.10 is in order.

On my system, Qbittorrent appeared to open but then shut down.

Starting it from a command prompt showed some problems, which as posted earlier turned out to be due to multiple versions of Boost library (1.42 and 1.46) installed)

After two days of numerous attempts and troubleshooting I can pretty much conclude that this release is by far the worst piece of shit that Ubuntu has ever released. Being a Ubuntu user for 3 years I am used to a certain standard, but this just isn't good enough. It stinks like yesterdays diapers. My options now are a) back to an earlier release or B) try another distribution. I am tempted to go for b.

My advice to Ubuntu would be to learn your "dBase"-lesson...

Did a fresh install on a new hd last friday, everything runs good not notice any problems. Unity was the first thing to throw out, don´t like it. Trying Gnome 3 but use XFCE as desktop enviroment.

How does one do this (ie. change from Unity to Gnome)? Under 11.04, the "System settings" menu option is available under the Power-control menu, but I do not see such an option with 11.10.

I made the "mistake" of updating one of my laptops last night; typically I wait to upgrade at least a month or so (sometimes longer) after a new release is made available. I do this for obvious reasons... let everyone else sort out the kinks.

Edited by Gumballl

Did a fresh install on a new hd last friday, everything runs good not notice any problems. Unity was the first thing to throw out, don´t like it. Trying Gnome 3 but use XFCE as desktop enviroment.

How does one do this (ie. change from Unity to Gnome)? Under 11.04, the "System settings" menu option is available under the Power-control menu, but I do not see such an option with 11.10.

I made the "mistake" of updating one of my laptops last night; typically I wait to upgrade at least a month or so (sometimes longer) after a new release is made available. I do this for obvious reasons... let everyone else sort out the kinks.

Just install the shell and it will be available when you log in.

sudo apt-get install gnome-shell

Just install the shell and it will be available when you log in.

sudo apt-get install gnome-shell

Thanks; I did what you suggested. I also gave a stab at installing gnome-session-fallback. With either interface, gnome (shell) or gnome-classic, I am not at all satisfied with what Canonical has done with their distro. It seems that they are more interested in setting up Ubuntu to be a "kiosk" style system, similar to Windoze. I suspect that when Ubuntu 11.04 (and 10.04 LTS) has reached end-of-life, I will need to revert to Red Hat or Centos to work in a familiar environment that I have grown accustomed to.

P.S. It could be that my system got a botched installation of 11.10. I'm surprised that I am unable to locate any place to configure my font preferences, or add additional launchers to the gnome panel. When I launch a terminal, the menu-bar is huge (12 font); there appears to be no way to make it smaller.

P.S. It could be that my system got a botched installation of 11.10. I'm surprised that I am unable to locate any place to configure my font preferences, or add additional launchers to the gnome panel. When I launch a terminal, the menu-bar is huge (12 font); there appears to be no way to make it smaller.

If you want to replace/configure fonts and similar the easiest way is to install the tweak tool.

sudo apt-get install gnome-tweak-tool

You start the tool by simply launching:

gnome-tweak-tool

I agree with your opinion regarding the kiosk-style, I am already looking at candidates that could be a replacement for Ubuntu, RedHat could be one of them, SuSe another. My biggest issue is that I have a lot of software that doesn't run on all distributions.

Edited by Forethat

Mac user here who usually runs Gentoo Linux via VirtualBox...

Had the occasion to try and retrieve some files from an external HD formatted as ext3. The software available on Mac OS X simply wasn't up to the task; very slow, many errors, a real horror show.

Tried doing the copy using both Gentoo and Fedora via VirtualBox but that was agonizing slow too (talking about 500KB/s here, yikes!)

So I figured I'd just boot using my Gentoo Live CD's. That was a major case of fail too... couldn't boot! Ditto with Fedora! Arggh!

Then I tried Ubuntu 11.10, 64-bit. OMG! It's like I'm booting with alien technology over here! Just an absolutely awesome experience; everything works right out of the box, and this is on a MacBook Pro, a machine that historically doesn't get a lot of love from Linux vendors. Had to do a little fumbling around with the interface to find a terminal, but that took all of maybe a couple of minutes, and my file copy is on it's way presently, and at the native speed of the slower disk (22MB/s), and all from a Live CD!

I should note I first tried the 32-bit version (the website says it's recommended) but it froze on the first screen (language selection).

FWIW, if you ever need to do similar from a Mac, you'll need to be sure that if the destination drive is HFS, that it's formatted with journalling off, otherwise you can't write to the volume.

Spent a whole day trying to work this out.

Thinking of installing Mint Debian on XP machine myself, read that it's user friendly n all. Anybody have any experience/comments with Mint? Is it better than Ubuntu?

I've been running mint debian on my laptop since they first released it, without too many problems, there was an update that completely broke my nvidia-glx installation but that was all.

It's pretty good, and now they have the update packs to prevent the problem that I and many others experienced. It's worth a shot. I still use the debian testing repositories instead of the default update repositories but I do enjoy a challenge as you learn a great deal in the process of fixing it.

If you're not certain then try it in virtual box under XP before committing.

I just had one look at Unity and decided I'm not touching that distro again.

I'm a KDE user, maybe that explains it.

Stay or come back to 11.04

Don't upgrade except if you are on a tablet or a mobile device

11.10 sees the apogee of Unity :( and the end of Gnome 2. There's no "Ubuntu classic" anymore. You can try Gnome 3 but it's a total mess. They didn't make a default for KDE so you will have to make it run per yourself and make it cohabitate with Unity 2D, good luck with that.

Ubuntu is going badly recently, with frenetic crazy updates every months, and it seems everyone there have switched to a tablet or a mobile phone, so they totally forgot the people still using a workstation.

I just had one look at Unity and decided I'm not touching that distro again.

I'm a KDE user, maybe that explains it.

Stay or come back to 11.04

Don't upgrade except if you are on a tablet or a mobile device

11.10 sees the apogee of Unity :( and the end of Gnome 2. There's no "Ubuntu classic" anymore. You can try Gnome 3 but it's a total mess. They didn't make a default for KDE so you will have to make it run per yourself and make it cohabitate with Unity 2D, good luck with that.

Ubuntu is going badly recently, with frenetic crazy updates every months, and it seems everyone there have switched to a tablet or a mobile phone, so they totally forgot the people still using a workstation.

I have been using Unity since Natty.

At first I thought it was horrible and tried to stick with my Gnome 2.. I tried Gnome 3 and found it worse than Unity, and I also tried Kubuntu and while it looked easy, I found it very counter intuitive and unfriendly. so in desperation I stuck with Natty.

Soon I found several tweaks for Natty that added nice things such as right click ability to menu items and learnt a few of the hot keys. Now I love it, All my main applications are a single click from the desktop, and anything I need occasionally I just tap the windows key and start typing the name in to dash and I am presented with the right option without wading through various menus wondering where it is.

Last Friday I installed Oneiric on a friends laptop. He is new to Ubuntu but wanted to give it a try..

He did not like the look of my Unity Interface and wanted something more."XP like" He has been an XP user for many years and very competent with computers and is not keen on Windows 7

Mint was out for various reasons, and after viewing different options on my machine he elected for Kubuntu. BAD CHOICE.

He found it very difficult to work with and find things. Within an hour he had decided he hated it. I showed him how to install Gnome Desktop with Unity and he was away. He admits it is easy to use and find things. The software centre and Dash are very easy to use and without help he added applications he wanted such as Skype and VLC.

He is still dual booting in to Windows 7 for some applications but is now confidently using Ubuntu for many things and likes the speed and performance. The only thng stopping him using Ubuntu more is problems getting his 3G modem to work, (Ubuntu Bug) which hopefully we will sort out next weekend.

So to end it all. Give Unity a chance. It is still a work in progress with a few rough edges, BUT on the whole the Ubuntu team has done a great job.

Window managers such as kde, gnome, enlightenment, xfce, have nothing to do with debain, which ubuntu is based on.

Agreed, but it has a lot to do with the user experience and the reason why most users choose one distro or another.

Most of us have spent the earlier part of our computing experience with Windows and when changing to a new operating system this will effect what we want.

It is not only about ergonomics but also about the learning curve required to become productive.

For me Unity took a bit of time to get used to, but now I think it was worth it. If I had come from Windows 7 instead of XP (via gnome 2) it may have been a different story. I was never a fan of XP or any of the other windows GUIs. Until Linux OS2 Warp would have had my vote as the best OS of the day from a user experience perspective. Lack of support for drivers and software is what killled it as there was no real open source community to suppport it.

Before anybody says anything, I have never even sat at a Mac so that does not enter in to my opinions.

Edited by thaimite

Having problems with Ubuntu after doing the upgrade, I cannot access anything beside chrome browers from the unity desktop, and chrome is now a very small window that cannot be maximize even with F11. From the advice of my friend in far away land, I tried going into one of the TTY (F3) and it would not allow the login, it accept the login name not not the password. How can I get my computer back working properly?

I stopped doing upgrades every 6 month. Its too annoying for me and needs too much time. I still use "10.04 LTS - Lucid Lynx" and am happy with it. OK sometimes i miss a feature thats already in the newer versions, but thats OK. I will wait update to "12.04 LTS" in April 2012. Never tried Unity but i am very curious about it. Hope i will like it :)

Hello fellow linux users,

all comments here very interesting. I am a linux newbie, using toshiba NB305 with RAM upped to 2Gb. Have triple-installed Win7 starter (default) (in 150 Gb partition), Mint 11 (in 60Gb) and now Ub 11.10 (12Gb).

Many more competent people than myself recommended to stick with Ub 10.04.3, but it lost wireless connectivity during upgrades on a few trial installations. Incompatible with atherion wireless driver???

The simplest solution to my problem was to make sure Ub 11.10 (the 697Mb torrent version, running from a usb stick) was working, format the 10.04.3 partition, and install 11.10.

For me, 11.10 was unexplored territory but very functional . Need to install BUM (sudo apt-get install bum) to turn off some startup applications, as 11.10 startup manager hides things! Also installing htop was recommended, as apparently system monitor hogs resources... not sure how to exterminate system monitor, which is is presumably scoffing strawberries in the background.

Mint11 runs very well on my netbook after a few tweaks, and can recommend it.

Win 7 starter- well, default O/S on toshiba NB305, have an emergency reinstallation disk on 16Gb usb. Presently MSE antivirus seems to be pretty good, viruses (or my attempts to eradicate them) killed two previous laptops.

I purge totem, brasero etc, just use VLAN/VLC.

Word is that computers are moving more towards touch-type interfaces, and new computers to be setuo with Win8 will be incompatible with linux??? Maybe just a dirty rumour...

There are issues with Ubuntu and certain brands of PC, For example I had problems with Ubuntu 11.04 on my Dell most significantly was"pointer freezing" either touch pad or mouse on notebook. I dumped it, I installed 11.10 and the same problems, Freezing at boot , allows to enter password then freezes, If you look at Ubuntu forums you will see lots of Users having same problem with no real solution. So I have stuck with Win 7 ,even if it is a copy, using "Remove WAT" bit of software that stops the black screen and warning message.