Ubuntu 11.10 Is Released And Nobody Is Upgrading?

Richard-BKK

I got it now - Mark Shuttlewort, CEO of Canonical that releases Ubuntu, wants to go Mobile, hence he needs an interface that would work with touch controls and on smaller screens, and from that angle Unity looks very promising.

I hope they can manage dual boot on Android devices, that would be exciting - full Linux with all the libraries and multiuser environment on a tablet. Tegra 3 hardware can totally pull it off.

I disagree that KDE is very difficult to use, it's the most Windows like desktop there in both layout and navigation plus a bunch of extra options. XFCE is also pretty much like Win XP without visual effects.

Unity? I don't know where to start, literally. Unmovable, unyielding dash, no right click options - get me the h3ll outta there!

I upgraded from 11.04 to 11.10 on the first day of release on on old(ish) dual core desktop and it has been absolutely fine. I tried Gnome 3 but it was a mess so I have stuck with Unity, which I actually like since learning a few shortcut keys and getting used to opening seldom used applications by opening Dash and typing the first couple of letters of the applications name.

It's a different way of working, but good once you get into the groove!

I upgraded from 11.04 to 11.10 on the first day of release on on old(ish) dual core desktop and it has been absolutely fine. I tried Gnome 3 but it was a mess so I have stuck with Unity, which I actually like since learning a few shortcut keys and getting used to opening seldom used applications by opening Dash and typing the first couple of letters of the applications name.

It's a different way of working, but good once you get into the groove!

As I have stated in other posts, after a few tweaks and some experience with Unity I find it a very good way of working.

One of my "Must Have" tweaks is to add right click sub-menus to the launcher icons.

See this link for some ideas of how to do this. For me having a single Libre Office Icon with writer, and Calc etc on a right click list or being able to do updates, and modify PPAs from the Software centre lens is a great time saver

You won't have any choice but to upgrade as all previous versions will lose updates/support.

If, like me, you've been disappointed with how much version 11.04/11.10 has changed, you might like to try 'Pardus'. It's created and maintained by a division of the Turkish government so it gets regular updates and is extremely polished in performance and appearance.

http://distrowatch.c...ribution=pardus

I'm another who spent a lot of time trying to get 11.04 to run last spring, then went back to 10.10. No more keeping up with the new releases, maybe in the future when my version gets dead-ended. I didn't like Unity, didn't see any advantages to adapt to the new interface except to keep in fashion. Does everything have to look like a damned Apple product?

Also Ubuntu install gets my laptop wrong. I have Compaq CQ40 (there's about a dozen versions!), and Ubuntu always took about 5 min to boot up. I finally put some energy into investigating it after my few days of farting around with 11.04, and after studying the system logs and looking up the problem on the net I discovered Ubuntu install mis-categorized my hard drive controller. When booting up, Ubuntu would try to access my hard drive as whatever it though it was, and kept trying for maybe 5 minutes, then would give up and load a generic driver and all would go well (NOTE: Ubuntu install had no problems recognizing my controller, partitioning etc went smooth and quick). It also didn't like my laptop's wifi, so that took some extra effort as well.

On a positive note, Ubuntu is so widespread that nearly any problem you have someone else had as well, and there's a good chance your solution is on the internet.

You won't have any choice but to upgrade as all previous versions will lose updates/support.

not completely accurate - the only ubuntu i ever install (for clients, and for my own testing) are LTS versions, although i am hesitantly waiting to see what the next LTS version looks like. 10.04 is currently guaranteed support until mid 2013 (desktop) and 2015 (server), and starting with 12.04 they guarantee 5 years on both desktop and server versions. you are right about one thing, there is a lot more out there in the linux world than ubuntu!

Edited by dharmabm