Abhisit Blames Thai Govt For Misjudging Flood Threat To Nava Nakorn

webfact

Can someone please tell me why the previous admin did nothing post flooding last year to alleviate this problem this year? The rest is all academic..

The previous administration did as much as the many administrations before it, and I predict, as much as the current administration will do.

Well there's the key then isn't it? No matter which direction the wind is blowing and what direction the high waters come from it's all for naught in the current state of affairs and everything else is sadly a moot point..

Well economically this should have been done during high times

AKA Thaksin 1 when the economy was good without question.

There is a global crisis and a major project like this was not in the cards.

This is not a minor public works thing like drainage systems for a town, but something more akin to the PTP election plan of filling in everything SOUTH of Bangkok to prevent the SEA from flooding Bangkok....Everyone said that was absurd, but the scale and funding needed for this, and the pay offs to many parties to allow their little fiefdoms to be land modified, and the half a generation time span needed to actually do this is way way beyond the reach of Abhisit's 2.5 year time in office.

Now if the Japanese and other manufacturers want to chip

or start leaning on the governments here to FIX THINGS

to protect their ventures, this might be what gets the huge amount of cash flowing.

This kind of project dwarfs by logarithmic measures the Trains project on the drawing board.

Well I think we've found common ground (dry I hope) the same can also be said for the current admin as well regardless of past Thaksin related admins in the cabinet it all comes down to both sides graft, corruption and nepotism holding the country back in long term plans and solutions of solving problems that mostly effect the lower class..

Personally I think a system of very deep tunnels under every road (and I'm not talking of typical sewer systems) but much larger capacity (basically a controlled underground river system) with gating and pumping stations to control flow rates is the only real solution but in concert with other up country applications such as one member mentioned straitening out the river in some places but only used for overflow volumes to expedite water flow to the gulf.

Dredging, widening it's all expensive but the need is getting more critical and the cost is going up so delaying the inevitable is only going to lead to more cost, more loss of life and property and continual rebuilds none of which is any cheaper.

Edited by WarpSpeed

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I think we've found common ground (dry I hope) the same can also be said for the current admin as well regardless of past Thaksin related admins in the cabinet it all comes down to both sides graft, corruption and nepotism holding the country back in long term plans and solutions of solving problems that mostly effect the lower class..

Personally I think a system of very deep tunnels under every road (and I'm not talking of typical sewer systems) but much larger capacity (basically a controlled underground river system) with gating and pumping stations to control flow rates is the only real solution but in concert with other up country applications such as one member mentioned straitening out the river in some places but only used for overflow volumes to expedite water flow to the gulf.

Dredging, widening it's all expensive but the need is getting more critical and the cost is going up so delaying the inevitable is only going to lead to more cost, more loss of life and property and continual rebuilds none of which is any cheaper.

Do you mean like this? http://www.nationmul...k-30142049.html (Nov 2010)

Bangkok Governor MR Sukhumbhand Paripatra yesterday unveiled a fiveyear plan to invest Bt16 billion to build four giant drainage tunnels to tackle the city's flood problems.

"They will be like underground highways for floodwater to reach the Chao Phraya River and the sea with the speed of draining four standardsize swimming pools in one second," said Sukhumbhand.

Edited by whybother

Can someone please tell me why the previous admin did nothing post flooding last year to alleviate this problem this year? The rest is all academic..

The previous administration did as much as the many administrations before it, and I predict, as much as the current administration will do.

Well there's the key then isn't it? No matter which direction the wind is blowing and what direction the high waters come from it's all for naught in the current state of affairs and everything else is sadly a moot point..

Well economically this should have been done during high times

AKA Thaksin 1 when the world economy was good without question. Today... bubkis!, There is a global crisis and a major project like this was not in the cards with governments available funding. Soon to get worse with 25% of several markerts of export being killed as they tried myopically to save the rice pledging harvest scheme in the country side.

This is not a minor public works thing like drainage systems for a town, but something more akin to the PTP election plan of filling in everything SOUTH of Bangkok to prevent the SEA from flooding Bangkok....

Everyone said that was absurd, but the scale and funding needed for this, and the pay offs to many parties to allow their little fiefdoms to be 'land modified', and the half a generation time span needed to actually do this, is way way beyond the reach of Abhisit's 2.5 year time in office.

Now if the Japanese and other manufacturers want to chip in,

or start leaning hard on the governments here to FIX THINGS

to protect their ventures, this might be what gets the huge amount of cash flowing. This kind of project dwarfs by logarithmic measures the Trains project on the drawing board.

It should have / could have been done in 1942 after the big flood then......

It is Abhisit's duty as opposition leader to provide checks and balances to the government and to provide critical views of the government when needed. At least that is what taypayers who are paying his salary expect from him.

I don't like Abhisit and his style of management at times, but at least he is doing job unlike the opposition last year when they rarely attended parliamentary sessions (wasting taypayers' money) but preferred instead to use extra-parliamentary forces a.k.a. the red shirts.

this is a point i think has been missed in this entire debate. Where is chuan when you need him?

Bangkok Governor MR Sukhumbhand Paripatra yesterday unveiled a fiveyear plan to invest Bt16 billion to build four giant drainage tunnels to tackle the city's flood problems.

"They will be like underground highways for floodwater to reach the Chao Phraya River and the sea with the speed of draining four standardsize swimming pools in one second," said Sukhumbhand.

This was one of the most useful suggestion in the whole debacle.

I would definitely back this guy for PM any day.

Perfect no. But he can think ahead, and on his feet at a full run when needed.

A major part of this is control of watersheds up country being haphazard, and too many' large works' have been built on watersheds and catchments and this has blocked the natural flow, and exit of large amounts of water. Each large project needs to be understood in the regional water situation and canals or other works designed to aid water control worst case, and then people with authority put in charge, but not politically beholden regularly.

Unless this is addressed as a total system, top to bottom, and someone with clout, experience and national authority is given control to lay down the law, and even order army security interventions, to make sure things get built properly, then this will happen yet again and again.

Making extra canals under streets is a good emergency egress measure, but also the sources of the problem upcountry need be adressed. And this has the political side affect of creating many jobs upcountry for close to 10 years.

Edited by animatic

It is Abhisit's duty as opposition leader to provide checks and balances to the government and to provide critical views of the government when needed. At least that is what taypayers who are paying his salary expect from him.

I don't like Abhisit and his style of management at times, but at least he is doing job unlike the opposition last year when they rarely attended parliamentary sessions (wasting taypayers' money) but preferred instead to use extra-parliamentary forces a.k.a. the red shirts.

this is a point i think has been missed in this entire debate. Where is chuan when you need him?

Oh, Abhisit has been speaking calmly and authoritatively.

But his opponents, and those in TV that hate him, run with the simplest sound bite, not the whole discussion, and then try to beat him senseless with it grossly out of context of course. Oh he should just shut up is heard regularly here if he opens his mouth... yet even Yingluck consulted with him publicly.

We had floods when he was in office and he did nothing except try to get his picture taken at every chance. He can't get over the fact that he was voted out of office. He still wants to be a powerful force, but he's a nobody. Born with a silver spoon in his mouth, spoiled, and part of the Bangkok elete. He should accept the fact he's a nobody and let the government do what they are elected to do. Something he never did.

Yes, government opposition is a bad thing.

Sure sounds like it, good to see but it is only a local solution it needs to be coupled with other projects upstream..

Sadly it would have been much cheaper and less complicated if it had been envisioned before all the pavement had been laid down :( .. The chaos to do this in the current environment is going to be dreadful :( ..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Sure sounds like it, good to see but it is only a local solution it needs to be coupled with other projects upstream..

Sadly it would have been much cheaper and less complicated if it had been envisioned before all the pavement had been laid down :( ..

Correct in one Warp...

As I previously posted in another thread, all this should have / could have been done after the big flood of 1942 - using old technology of course ... AND Bangkok would have been a very good Venice of the East if all prevailed. I miss all the convenient waterways and khlongs that were VERY abundant in the not-so-distant-past. Helluva lot better than pavement by far!!!!

Sadly it would have been much cheaper and less complicated if it had been envisioned before all the pavement had been laid down :( ..

Correct in one Warp...

As I previously posted in another thread, all this should have / could have been done after the big flood of 1942 - using old technology of course ... AND Bangkok would have been a very good Venice of the East if all prevailed. I miss all the convenient waterways and khlongs that were VERY abundant in the not-so-distant-past. Helluva lot better than pavement by far!!!!

Well not to argue your agreement but my proposal, as is the article, calls for underground river drainage systems that run UNDER the pavement.. I'm not so much for adding more dirty khlongs it would be ok if they took care of their waterways but sadly that doesn't happen here and they just become filthy, putrid, disease ridden sewers. Up country, now that's a bit different scenario.