A Question For Those Of You Who Live On Koh Samui

I'm interested in the difference in the cost of living between Koh Samui and Bangkok and quality of life.

I'm assuming Samui is less stressful and less congested, with more open space. You have the sea and the beaches but how does it stack up on things like supermarkets and general shopping and nightlife? Is internet/wifi widely available, what about cable TV?

Is there anything you miss about BKK?

Of particular interest to me as well are accommodation/studio or one bed apartment or long term hotel rates v Bangkok.

Cost of eating out/pub food/street food and budget restaurants

What sort of prices do you pay for a bottle of local beer in bars?

Do you think life is much cheaper there?

Would be interested in any info/views and comments

Cheers

the grass is already greener on the other side !

Samui is alot more expensive then Bangkok , and most ' working ' people here never stop going on how they wish they lived in Bangkok

but it all depends on what you are after, and how you wish to spend your time....

I agree with Boater and I have lived in Bangkok, now living on Samui..

Samui is quite a bit more expensive. Mostly caused by 3 factors. 1 - everything has to travel over the sea to get here. Expensive. 2 Scale of economy. Millions of people live in Bangkok - not that many here. 3 Tourist destination only. Tourism is the only cash cow here.

Plus side for Bangkok - taxis, costs, infrastructure.

Plus side for Samui - beaches, fresh air, quality of life. and not having to breath toxic smog. Oh - and a much wider choice of 7/11's and FamilyMarts in a small area. :whistling:

the grass is already greener on the other side !

Samui is alot more expensive then Bangkok , and most ' working ' people here never stop going on how they wish they lived in Bangkok

but it all depends on what you are after, and how you wish to spend your time....

yes, the grass is always greener...

samui is more expensive perhaps, but count me amongst those working class expats who would absolutely not under any circumstances, consider living in bangkok. perfectly happy here and looking forward to the apparent mass exodus of those who live here but wished they lived in bkk, or anywhere else for that matter.

There are two big Tesco Lotus outlets, a Big C and a Makro on the island. 7-11's and Family Marts are on every corner of the island. Restaurants can be had from good and simple street food or holes in the walls to very expensive and exquisite places. You might want to have a look at my Samui info and weather blog to get a general idea about things to do around the island, especially in this post that recaps a trip around the island and check out the restaurant section which reviews various end of the scale of restaurants around the island (and elsewhere for that matter).

In general, life on Samui may be more expensive compared to Bangkok but it's a very different life style on the island. Best would be to visit and just check it out for a few days or a week or so. Accommodation can also be had in various degrees of budget and comfort!

Thanks for the replies. I would like to spend time on Samui but don't really want to add to my living costs,

Maybe in another life! :rolleyes:

Well i don't really agree with these posts. Samui is only as expensive as you make and believe me you can still live here very cheap. Its really a case of lifestyle as to how expensive you make it

Edited by carmine

Thanks for the replies. I would like to spend time on Samui but don't really want to add to my living costs,

Well i don't really agree with these posts. Samui is only as expensive as you make and believe me you can still live here very cheap. Its really a case of lifestyle as to how expensive you make it

Only very cheap?? Come on now...come clean here surely you mean ridiculously cheap? I reckon it can be done for free for example....ermm.gifhuh.gif

I'd agree, and while cheap, you can still live comfortable enough and with a belly full of great local cuisine while enjoying the free delights that many people would envy, like sunset walks on the beach, morning swims, jungle treks. Just chilling on your balcony listening to nothing but nature, priceless in my book....unless you like to down 10 beers to complete the scene, that's an extra 350 Bahtbiggrin.gif

Not for free but Carmine has a point and plenty of my restaurant reviews of local places show that you can eat very cheap and very good around the island. Combined with being able to shop in a couple of big shopping complexes where there's no BS about prices as there is on local markets, you can indeed life fairly inexpensive on Samui, if you're willing to give it a go.

Not for free but Carmine has a point and plenty of my restaurant reviews of local places show that you can eat very cheap and very good around the island. Combined with being able to shop in a couple of big shopping complexes where there's no BS about prices as there is on local markets, you can indeed life fairly inexpensive on Samui, if you're willing to give it a go.

[/quoteap

We have been here 3 weeks now and the prices are not bad, though i do not know the prices in bangkok, and you have to look around to find cheap places to eat like the new huts food and drink is cheap,even cheaper in happy hour.

large chang 70 baht we paid more for a small one,food is good to 50 to 70 baht and lots of it. this pic is happy hour.nice beach to sit on, sea is fine to swim in, cheap food and drink what more can you ask for???????????

[/quoteap

We have been here 3 weeks now and the prices are not bad, though i do not know the prices in bangkok, and you have to look around to find cheap places to eat like the new huts food and drink is cheap,even cheaper in happy hour.

large chang 70 baht we paid more for a small one,food is good to 50 to 70 baht and lots of it. this pic is happy hour.nice beach to sit on, sea is fine to swim in, cheap food and drink what more can you ask for???????????

Nice to see you have made yourself at home at the ' New Cock Happy ' bar :lol:

He's made a massive mistake here.....carmine will be down there sharpish sinking Chang and practising his geordie accent......."Doingok's bill!"

Georgie accent!! :whistling: I could have a better stab at afrikaan

He's made a massive mistake here.....carmine will be down there sharpish sinking Chang and practising his geordie accent......."Doingok's bill!"

Georgie accent!! :whistling: I could have a better stab at afrikaan

nowt like a geogie accent wor lass loves the place, whey aye man give the place a go its belter man lol

I don't think its expensive here, but then again I've only spent a few days here and there in Bkk as a tourist so 1. I wasn't paying much attention to prices and 2. I was drunk most of the time anyway.

I would say it depends on your current lifestyle. Until last month I was paying 10,000 baht for a brand new secure studio condo with free wifi. Now I'm paying 14,000 for a nice 1 bed bungalow about 30 yards from a beautiful beach.

Beers are 30/35 baht in 7/11 - I guess that's the same as Bkk. In bars I'll pay 60/70/80 baht and in the clubs 100 baht. I don't think this is dear at all, not compared to my home, but I don't know how it compares to bkk.

A bowl of noodles here costs 30/40 baht. We generally only eat thai food my missus spends probably 100 bath / day at the market on average, if we go out a meal for 2 with drinks will be between maybe 200 and 400 baht, depending on what kind of place we fancy and what we eat.

It costs me between 100 and 200 baht to put gas in the bike each week.

1 added cost is obivously getting to and from the island.

You could live somewhere for less, or equally more. You might drink more or less than us, and you might eat differently than us but maybe these figures will help.

cant think of one thing that is cheaper here than BKK even the sea food. based on cost of living bangers way cheaper. but the traffic i could not handle.

no air con malls to visit and the difference in price to get to swampy about 11,000 baht return.

dont know anybody who left BKK to come here, but know quite a few gone from here to BKK and prefer it. horses for courses i guess.

cant think of one thing that is cheaper here than BKK even the sea food. based on cost of living bangers way cheaper. but the traffic i could not handle.

no air con malls to visit and the difference in price to get to swampy about 11,000 baht return.

dont know anybody who left BKK to come here, but know quite a few gone from here to BKK and prefer it. horses for courses i guess.

Cheaper than BKK:

Fresh air.

Less stress.

Beach.

Did I mention the free vodka at the Russian restaurant.

I get seafood under 100 baht /dish in my favourite restaurant, sign in Thai, no English menu.

Why do I need air con malls, I'm male.

Why do I need to go Swampy, travel via KL for half the price.

I would never have a horse in BKK. ;)

Just face it some people like malls, some likes beaches.

Edited by PoorSucker