The Thai Flood Situation Is Critical, So Why Not Tell People?

george

While it's easy for all the "arm chair quarterbacks" to blame the current government, the real blame falls on every government in Thailand for the past 20+ years for not taking the proper steps to avoid a situation such as this in a country that is known to have floods every year. For allowing those with money, prestige and political connections to destroy nature to the point where forests have been cleared for resorts and private mansions, where construction of houses and factories were allowed in areas that previously served to help alleviate the flooding, and half a dozen, or more, other conditions that all lead up to this event.

I agree that the current government is not handling the situation well in many ways, but can any of us state for a fact that Abby & the Dems could have, or would have, handled it any better? This situation was like a slow burning fuse on a bomb during the build up to the elections, which then exploded just weeks after Yingluck and Company took over. With this being Thailand, and the typical Thai mind set, a disaster of this magnitude would have the head of just about any government spinning and wondering what to do next.

This disaster is going to have long term, and far reaching consequences. The best any of us can hope for is that once it's past it isn't just forgotten about, but that serious studies will be done, followed by the necessary steps, to prevent something of this magnitude from every happening again. If the Thai don't have the experts to show the way (and I personally believe the do - if the gvt will only listen to them), then bring in experts from outside. Forge about losing "face" and for once think about saving lives, property, business, and the country as a whole. But, TIT, where "face" is much more important than any life, business or property.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

it is obvious that the Thai flood situation is critical. The people that are concerned and that have the financial means will have already left or have made plans to evacuate. Just what is the government expected to do in this case? BKK has an approximate population of 10 million and the metropolitan area has approximately 15 million people. It is impossible to evacuate and relocate this many people. Imagine ifonly a few million people in Bangkok had to relocate out of the city. Where would they go? How would they be housed and cared for? How would the evacuation be managed? Ever seen a Thai mob in panic mode? Does anyone want to contemplate tens of thousands rushing evacuation trains and buses? What happens if Bangkok shuts down? Thailand cannot manage, nor withstand a shutdown of Bangkok. The country would erupt in civil disorder.

One can wag a finger at "officals" , but the unfortunate partt of catastrophe management is that it is often better to leave large populations where they are and to try and calm the public. I hope Bangkok is spared as the results would devastate the country and result in unpleasant social conditions that could make life very difficult for foreign residents. I've experienced the terror and unpredictability of large population panic and I don't wish that experience on anyone.

Break out your amulets and pray that Bangkok is saved.

Thats one of the first sensible things i have seen you post, and i find myself actually agreeing with you... Guess you changed your brand of morning coffee or something today ;)

Perhaps, it is you MH that has had an epiphany.

I, for one, am not buying into this panic apocalypse CJ. If have not seen a 'Thai mob in panic' and I don't expect to. What I see on Thai TV every day is people handling this very well in the flooded provinces. Why would it be any different with the Bangkokians? I'm not disputing that this is an economic disaster. But I believe the worst will come, however, after the flood waters have subsided and the people have returned to their devastated homes and lives.

There will be high unemployment, scarcity and a general malaise. Perhaps a substantial number of investors will pull out, making matters even worse, economically. It will be another notch down in the standard of living for the ordinary Thai citizen who is already not doing that well by Western standards. The apocalyptic high-drama is more suitable for Thai soap operas.

Edited by MaxYakov

it is obvious that the Thai flood situation is critical. The people that are concerned and that have the financial means will have already left or have made plans to evacuate. Just what is the government expected to do in this case? BKK has an approximate population of 10 million and the metropolitan area has approximately 15 million people. It is impossible to evacuate and relocate this many people. Imagine ifonly a few million people in Bangkok had to relocate out of the city. Where would they go? How would they be housed and cared for? How would the evacuation be managed? Ever seen a Thai mob in panic mode? Does anyone want to contemplate tens of thousands rushing evacuation trains and buses? What happens if Bangkok shuts down? Thailand cannot manage, nor withstand a shutdown of Bangkok. The country would erupt in civil disorder.

One can wag a finger at "officals" , but the unfortunate partt of catastrophe management is that it is often better to leave large populations where they are and to try and calm the public. I hope Bangkok is spared as the results would devastate the country and result in unpleasant social conditions that could make life very difficult for foreign residents. I've experienced the terror and unpredictability of large population panic and I don't wish that experience on anyone.

This is such BS american thinking.. Lie to the public, create a disaster because you didn't inform people of the real situation to save face, treat the general population like a bunch of idiots. No, this is Thailand, not the US. dry.gif

You have never lived in the US, obviously. There, it's the flip side of this Thai disaster. Everything is overblown and overcovered. If a water pipe breaks, you'll have five or six TV news helicopters circling the scene all day and all but comparing things to a break at Hoover Dam. The Thai govenment has indeed screwed up the management of this flood beyond all imagination. But it's almost worse to live in a country that thinks you need to be protected from everything ranging from airports that turn their entrances into an application for a nudist colony to cities that ban hamburgers because their percentage of fat is too high. That's one of the reasons I'm here, instead of there. Americans don't lie; they hype.

Yeah that's right, don't tell anybody and blame it on the weather radar that can't blame back. What a ridicules statement, "my weather radar is old and that caused the flood". But what will they do with the people that got caught and didn't panic do to a lack of information. TIT

Lack of information? All Thai news channels are updated 24/7 with maps, helicopter-overviews, on-site reports etc etc. You expect government officials to be at your doorstep telling you what to do?

Informing people doesn't create panic, it lets people prepare and save their property. This is such moronic style of thinking that I cant believe you even suggested it. All one has to do is look at how that's turned out time and time again in the US.

The people have been informed. Our area in CBD have been warned for 2 weeks now. Why do you think the shelves are empty? But the case is even the government doesn't know what gate which will burst first. Where the water will make its first entry. So what's the best solution? Start the evacuation of the whole capital city?

Informing people doesn't create panic, it lets people prepare and save their property. This is such moronic style of thinking that I cant believe you even suggested it. All one has to do is look at how that's turned out time and time again in the US.

The people have been informed. Our area in CBD have been warned for 2 weeks now. Why do you think the shelves are empty? But the case is even the government doesn't know what gate which will burst first. Where the water will make its first entry. So what's the best solution? Start the evacuation of the whole capital city?

the solution is more to do with which gates they will open first or in other words which area will be scarificed to save another area ,theres no way they are going to broadcast that kind of information in case it starts a riot (which it would)

but some areas are more valuable (to the government ) than others and when 1.2 billion Cubic metres of water arrives , some gates will have to be opened

i would guess those choices have already been made ,and anyone in an area that has been warned of "possible" evacuation should probably get ready ASAP

While it's easy for all the "arm chair quarterbacks" to blame the current government, the real blame falls on every government in Thailand for the past 20+ years for not taking the proper steps to avoid a situation such as this in a country that is known to have floods every year. For allowing those with money, prestige and political connections to destroy nature to the point where forests have been cleared for resorts and private mansions, where construction of houses and factories were allowed in areas that previously served to help alleviate the flooding, and half a dozen, or more, other conditions that all lead up to this event.

I agree that the current government is not handling the situation well in many ways, but can any of us state for a fact that Abby & the Dems could have, or would have, handled it any better? This situation was like a slow burning fuse on a bomb during the build up to the elections, which then exploded just weeks after Yingluck and Company took over. With this being Thailand, and the typical Thai mind set, a disaster of this magnitude would have the head of just about any government spinning and wondering what to do next.

This disaster is going to have long term, and far reaching consequences. The best any of us can hope for is that once it's past it isn't just forgotten about, but that serious studies will be done, followed by the necessary steps, to prevent something of this magnitude from every happening again. If the Thai don't have the experts to show the way (and I personally believe the do - if the gvt will only listen to them), then bring in experts from outside. Forge about losing "face" and for once think about saving lives, property, business, and the country as a whole. But, TIT, where "face" is much more important than any life, business or property.

Of course the long term situation is not just the fault of this government.

The issue now, is how THIS government and in particular the PM,is dealing with the situation.

And, as you even admit, the answer is, not very well.

This is about the immediate and how we (Thai people and us who chose to make Thailand our home) can overcome such a tragic disaster.

the solution is more to do with which gates they will open first or in other words which area will be scarificed to save another area ,theres no way they are going to broadcast that kind of information in case it starts a riot (which it would)

but some areas are more valuable (to the government ) than others and when 1.2 billion Cubic metres of water arrives , some gates will have to be opened

i would guess those choices have already been made ,and anyone in an area that has been warned of "possible" evacuation should probably get ready ASAP

My guess is, if you live in the same area as a PTP party member, you will be ok... if you live in the same area as a Democrat party member, be afraid, be very afraid...

Is this article from last year?

this article is from last year, the year before and the year before that and that previous year........

I have been living here for 28 years now, flooding exists since the beginning of 'mankind' here in Thailand.....

only half hearted things are done and the rest is just prayers....!!!!

maybe this is a wake up call for the Thai government this time......

Is this article from last year?

this article is from last year, the year before and the year before that and that previous year........

I have been living here for 28 years now, flooding exists since the beginning of 'mankind' here in Thailand.....

only half hearted things are done and the rest is just prayers....!!!!

maybe this is a wake up call for the Thai government this time......

That seems to be the attitude beyond the government, at least in the anecdotal evidence I've seen. My extended Thai family, my housekeeper and her family, Thais at work--they are all sort of ho-humming this. Comment just a few minutes ago: "Why are you so worried? Water come into the house only up to your knee. You can swim, can't you?" The fatalism, here, sometimes hits me like an avalanche.

While it's easy for all the "arm chair quarterbacks" to blame the current government, the real blame falls on every government in Thailand for the past 20+ years

No. It's all George Bush's fault.

You forgot the Neocons.

And the most powerful Banker Jake Goldstein the man behind the Rothschild's and Soros He wants to buy up all Bangkok cheap.

The issue now, is how THIS government and in particular the PM,is dealing with the situation.

This is about the immediate and how we (Thai people and us who chose to make Thailand our home) can overcome such a tragic disaster.

There are many here going around just throwing dirt, for the sake of scoring political points on an internet forum (as one poster had pointed out earlier), or to gloat and being able to say som na na.

You have raised a good point about the main issue, that is how the current government is dealing with the situation. While we may think that they are mis-handling it badly, I wouldn't be so soon to judge as none of us have perfect information, or knowledge of the facts or even of the strategic and tactical plans and for all we know, hidden political agendas. In terms of crisis, every decision made will have pros and cons. Is it better to flood out for eg Rangsit than Sukhumvit? Is it better to have 1 meter of flood water over 1,000 square kms or 2 meters over 500 sq kms?

What is fair to say is that the volume of water is unprecedented and has caught the relevant authorities (including the Government) by surprise. I would bet that any government any where in the world, would struggle to contain such a crisis and would therefore undoubtedly be criticised by some quarters.

Why was not more water released from the dams earlier? Obviously for fear of insufficient water during the coming drought months - a decision has to be made but sadly it turned out to be the wrong decision. Why? Were the meteorologists not able to predict record levels of rainfall? Whether they were able to or not should not then reflect on the government but on these so called experts. Heads should roll when the situation eventually becomes manageable.

How are we to know that any other (Thai) government would be able to do a better job? After all, they would still be advised by the same "experts". In any case, I've always said that the Thais could not organise a p**s up in a brewery (and I'm sure anyone who have worked here would agree) so criticising the government is akin to actually criticising the Thais.

There are many here going around just throwing dirt, for the sake of scoring political points on an internet forum (as one poster had pointed out earlier), or to gloat and being able to say som na na.

You have raised a good point about the main issue, that is how the current government is dealing with the situation. While we may think that they are mis-handling it badly, I wouldn't be so soon to judge as none of us have perfect information, or knowledge of the facts or even of the strategic and tactical plans and for all we know, hidden political agendas. In terms of crisis, every decision made will have pros and cons. Is it better to flood out for eg Rangsit than Sukhumvit? Is it better to have 1 meter of flood water over 1,000 square kms or 2 meters over 500 sq kms?

What is fair to say is that the volume of water is unprecedented and has caught the relevant authorities (including the Government) by surprise. I would bet that any government any where in the world, would struggle to contain such a crisis and would therefore undoubtedly be criticised by some quarters.

Why was not more water released from the dams earlier? Obviously for fear of insufficient water during the coming drought months - a decision has to be made but sadly it turned out to be the wrong decision. Why? Were the meteorologists not able to predict record levels of rainfall? Whether they were able to or not should not then reflect on the government but on these so called experts. Heads should roll when the situation eventually becomes manageable.

How are we to know that any other (Thai) government would be able to do a better job? After all, they would still be advised by the same "experts". In any case, I've always said that the Thais could not organise a p**s up in a brewery (and I'm sure anyone who have worked here would agree) so criticising the government is akin to actually criticising the Thais.

A staggeringly high over-whelming majority of Thais think she and her government are doing a <deleted> job with her actions regarding the flood (there are poll results that can verify this if you'd like them posted)... so defending the government's poor performance is akin to actually criticizing the Thais.

Edited by Buchholz

<snip>

Oh cut it out. Criticising the government is NOT the same thing as "criticising Thais". You are just trying to shut down legitimate criticism of the government by crying "racism!!!". Its a rubbish argument and grandstanding at its worst.

Criticism of the government is a legitimate, ordinary and essential part of the democratic process. People are ENTITLED to criticise the government. Since this is the only way to make them lift their game, anyone with half a brain in their head will take the government to task when they screw up. Let's have a pop quiz: Do people in YOUR country criticise the government?

Re. the rest of your comments, you've obviously never been to a brewery with some Thais. Or maybe you are hanging around with the wrong kind because that is something they are very good at :D

I spoke to a senior government official. He told me "the situation is critical." He had seen the data, he said, but said the government didn't want to release it for fear of "panicking people". I think many here would rather be forewarned.

As per usual the almighty governing elite consider that the ordinary man and woman in the floods and the streets should be told nothing as it would sully the elite leaderships image. This attitude from a government that professes equality and a fairer society.

Noticeable that the mighty motor mouths of this current administration are in the main silent, indeed one wonders as to why that may be, no doubt the power struggles and the political Machiavellian plots and the jockeying for financial gains are going on in the background.

The government sits on the sidelines observing the mayhem as did those delightful mesdames at the time of the French revolution observing the dispatch of the nobility by the guillotine, Now however it is the ordinary Thai man and woman and their children who are the metaphorical nobility in the metaphorical tumbrels riding to their metaphorical execution courtesy of an inept Thaksin family dynasty establishment campaign.

It is said, "that a country gets the government it deserves."

As has now been proven this administration is indeed totally self serving and inept, clueless as how to act when disasters were seen to be approaching thus when disaster arrives it is to late to mitigate and lessen the impact of that disaster in this case the flooding of Thailand.

I am interested in what you would have done to have corrected this flooding problem. The worse flooding in 50 years and you seem to have the answers but are keeping them a secret, just telling us what the present government has done wrong. Mother Nature is all powerful and mere men have failed to control her when she acts up. The flooding we are seeing now is nothing that could have been seen in anyone's crystal ball.

People are losing everything they own, even family members, while others play politics. Go out and help with the sandbags and donate some money to the international red cross instead of complaining

Edited by robokop

youd find an excuse for Taksins lot even if he ordered army to shoot down a million people or move people to death camps like pol pot. Sorry your absolutely totally misguided bah.gifbah.gifbah.gif

A staggeringly high over-whelming majority of Thais think she and her government are doing a &lt;deleted&gt; job with her actions regarding the flood (there are poll results that can verify this if you'd like them posted)... so defending the government's poor performance is akin to actually criticizing the Thais.

Please, please don't post that particular statistic of yours a sixth time.

Given the scale of the flooding, it is not surprising that the majority of Thais would think ANY government is doing a &lt;deleted&gt; job - that's not necessarily saying that they are incompetent because even competent governments all over the world have at one time or another succumb to one natural disaster or another.

I'm not defending the government here. I'm just sick and tired of the endless criticisms. What's the point? Make the water go away faster? Just a waste of bandwidth making such posts calling the govt incompetent, buffoons etc. Feel so strongly about it? Go stand on a street corner and tell everyone who bothers to listen. Or go protest in front of parliament house.

Me and many others come to this forum to get updated news - not to be constantly reading rubbish posts.

<snip>

Oh cut it out. Criticising the government is NOT the same thing as "criticising Thais". You are just trying to shut down legitimate criticism of the government by crying "racism!!!". Its a rubbish argument and grandstanding at its worst.

Criticism of the government is a legitimate, ordinary and essential part of the democratic process. People are ENTITLED to criticise the government. Since this is the only way to make them lift their game, anyone with half a brain in their head will take the government to task when they screw up. Let's have a pop quiz: Do people in YOUR country criticise the government?

Re. the rest of your comments, you've obviously never been to a brewery with some Thais. Or maybe you are hanging around with the wrong kind because that is something they are very good at :D

Did you take my comment to mean Thais pissing up in a brewery? I wrote "Thais could not organise a p**s up in a brewery". Unless you've actually worked with Thais and have not just retired here on your pension, you are unlikely to understand.

A staggeringly high over-whelming majority of Thais think she and her government are doing a &lt;deleted&gt; job with her actions regarding the flood (there are poll results that can verify this if you'd like them posted)... so defending the government's poor performance is akin to actually criticizing the Thais.

Please, please don't post that particular statistic of yours a sixth time.

Given the scale of the flooding, it is not surprising that the majority of Thais would think ANY government is doing a &lt;deleted&gt; job - that's not necessarily saying that they are incompetent because even competent governments all over the world have at one time or another succumb to one natural disaster or another.

I'm not defending the government here.

<snip>

After a paragraph of defending the government, you start the next paragraph with saying you're not defending it.

OK. Fine. You're in the 11 percentile who don't think she and her government are doing a &lt;deleted&gt; job with the flood.

p.s. it's not "my" statistic, it's Thailand's.

oh yes the Thaksin Family Dynasty were the ones that left the taps on causing the floods. The red shirts are hindering efforts to help. What dribble. There was a previous government who had a lot more time to plan ahead and put measures in place for the likelyhood of extreme floods but they did nothing sat back with the attitude we will get around to it tommorrow if tommorrow ever comes.

Goodness, so the current gov't could have done nothing better than they have done and it's all the fault of the previous gov't that was in power for a couple of years with two major Red Shirt protests stuck right in the middle.. of course it can't possibly have been looked at during the what 5 or 6 years that the various Thaksin gov'ts were in power before that as well could it?

Your argument is actually quite insulting to anybody with an IQ above 80

you mean anyone with an IQ over 40-50 dont you which seems to be general level of Taksin supporters

Guess they underestimated the number of propellers needed in the water to speed up the flow of water.laugh.gif

Yes it seems that way, I don't see the humor in it though <_< .. You taking joy in the failure.

if you dont laugh at it youd cry about sheer stupidity

Guess they underestimated the number of propellers needed in the water to speed up the flow of water.laugh.gif

Yes it seems that way, I don't see the humor in it though <_< .. You taking joy in the failure.

Might laugh in hind sight but just now there is too much suffering and peoples lives unsettled to see any humor in those comments or yours..

The Thai army together with hundreds of volunteers has launched a massive rescue operation in Nava Nakorn, but it risks being overwhelmed by the sheer scale of problem.

Hmmmm and some here would have you believe the military is not being utilized and if they were they could hold back the Red Sea :whistling: ...

"I fear to say that this is the end result of mistrust and the military overstepping their bounds in the past.

If they were open and trustworthy with the country's best interest in mind which includes allowing democracy

to take hold and respecting the will of the voters then the Thai people would not be caught in the middle of a situation of distrust.."

That would be you then?:lol:

Edited by OzMick

The Thai army together with hundreds of volunteers has launched a massive rescue operation in Nava Nakorn, but it risks being overwhelmed by the sheer scale of problem.

Hmmmm and some here would have you believe the military is not being utilized and if they were they could hold back the Red Sea :whistling: ...

"I fear to say that this is the end result of mistrust and the military overstepping their bounds in the past.

If they were open and trustworthy with the country's best interest in mind which includes allowing democracy

to take hold and respecting the will of the voters then the Thai people would not be caught in the middle of a situation of distrust.."That would be you then?:lol:

And?? Is there supposed to be a point in there somewhere? :blink:

I was watching the ABC News on the Australia Network last night and a reporter on the scene was saying that a poll conducted indicated that 85% of thai's in the area had no idea about the full extent of the floods

. More strikingly perhaps, the Thai science minister Virachai Virameteekul said he had ordered the construction of 10,000 bamboo rafts to “help the people”

Guess 100,000 bottles of beer would be more helpful now. Isaneros, c'mon take your water buffaloes down to Bangkok....jap.gif

Might laugh in hind sight but just now there is too much suffering and peoples lives unsettled to see any humor in those comments or yours..

Very sad is that always the poor are suffering. The rich always get away. jap.gif