Suvarnabhumi To Kanchanaburi

JayBlake

I always take this:

Motorway towards Bangkok (7)

South on ring road (9). I thin sign say Samut Prakan

Road 338 west sign say Nakhon Pathom. You can take road 4 but have slow traffic.

On to road 4 past Nakhan Pathom

On to 323 to Kanchanaburi.

2½ hours – 40 baht toll.

I always take this:

Road 338 west sign say Nakhon Pathom. You can take road 4 but have slow traffic.

2½ hours – 40 baht toll.

My mistake, I meant to say "using public transport".

Thanks for your kind reply, though.

I always take this:

2½ hours – 40 baht toll.

on arrival just get a taxi from the public taxi rank on the ground level...you queue up and the attendant/dispatcher writes a voucher with the agreed price that you pay to the driver when you arrive at your destination, usually done without the meter if you're going out to the provinces...I paid thb1700 to go to Suphanburi last month which is about the same distance from the airport to Kanchana town...about a 2 1/2hr journey...anyway, the price is agreed before you step into the taxi...

gotta be careful as you normally go thru Nakhom Pathom during the journey, parts of which are flooded now...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

Take the taxi from Suvarn to Sai Tai (+- THB 350 + toll fees) +- 1 hour (not sure with the flooding currently) or big bus no 556, cheaper but longer travel time.

From Sai Tai take mini van (number 81) for THB 100 to Kanchanaburi +- 2 hour (now also depend on flooding) will have to pay extra for the big bag but depends on the driver and how many passengers. Can pay fare at the small booth where the mini van park to the left side of the terminal building.

Alternatively the big bus from Sai Tai to Kan - not sure about price, have to buy inside terminal.

Mini van last stop at bus station in Kan.

I always take this:

2½ hours – 40 baht toll.

on arrival just get a taxi from the public taxi rank on the ground level...you queue up and the attendant/dispatcher writes a voucher with the agreed price that you pay to the driver when you arrive at your destination, usually done without the meter if you're going out to the provinces...I paid thb1700 to go to Suphanburi last month which is about the same distance from the airport to Kanchana town...about a 2 1/2hr journey...anyway, the price is agreed before you step into the taxi...

gotta be careful as you normally go thru Nakhom Pathom during the journey, parts of which are flooded now...

On the face of it, this is my least preferred option (not cuz I'm kee neo - although money's money - but) because I far prefer buses and trains to taxis for long trips. Taxis are so boring and impersonal. Just sat in a glass and metal box being propelled along a highway that could be almost anywhere in the world.

Unfortunately, the local travel infrastructure increasingly appears to - if not out and out thwart - make travelling from Suvarnabhumi to anywhere other than downtown Bangkok as difficult as humanly possible.

So I might end up being effectively forced to follow your advice, which is appreciated.

Take the taxi from Suvarn to Sai Tai (+- THB 350 + toll fees) +- 1 hour (not sure with the flooding currently) or big bus no 556, cheaper but longer travel time.

From Sai Tai take mini van (number 81) for THB 100 to Kanchanaburi +- 2 hour (now also depend on flooding) will have to pay extra for the big bag but depends on the driver and how many passengers. Can pay fare at the small booth where the mini van park to the left side of the terminal building.

Alternatively the big bus from Sai Tai to Kan - not sure about price, have to buy inside terminal.

Mini van last stop at bus station in Kan.

Thank you, but the one hour duration is, I know from experience, extremely elastic - due to Bangkok traffic and the likelihood of some numpty, three blocks ahead, squishing a mototcyclist or similar.

It's just a pity (and frankly incomprehensible) that the Airport does not properly link to the other transport centres (like......let's say "bus-stations" for instance).

Old planning authority law of (almost any random country or of your choosing)..........:

"If it's easy, DON'T do it!"

Edited by JayBlake