Prices For Apple Hardware In Bkk..?

soibangla

hi again all... ok, as first detailed in my earlier post regarding trying to ship my beloved Powermac G5 and its companion 23" display over to Thailand for my extended 'tourist' stay, it is now apparent to me that this just isn't going to work out, not just from the possible duty/tariffs levied but also for the red-flag i might throw by bringing such heavy business equipment into the country w/ me for what is supposedly a "vacation".

sadly, i've come to the conclusion that i will have to sell my hardware over here before i leave, and am now considering purchasing new Apple hardware over there in BKK... i have heard from a few people that Apple equipment fetches *really* high prices in Thailand, is this correct? i don't suppose anyone might be able to supply me w/ a few current prices for comparisons sake, so i won't be shocked and on the floor when i arrive?

specifically a 23" Apple Cinema Display, along w/ a dual 2.5GHz or dual 2.7GHz Powermac, normal selling price in baht would be very welcome if someone could enlighten me... thx in advance all and have a good one..!

:o

Having worked in an industry which relates directly to your concerns and accepting that changes will have taken place since, the tax on electrical goods into Thailand could still be up to 40% of the true value of the item.

Having said that, I have taken personal com equipment into both Thailand and India, countries known for exploiting the unaware traveller over these sorts of things.

As long as you can prove they are not new, you should be able to get past this problem. The authorities will probably make a note in your passport that these items must leave with you when you go or pay tax because they have probably been sold.

I will be bringing a laptop and two desk tops when I come this month. However, to avoid the snooping eyes of customs and really to ease the baggage requirements, I am stripping them down to vitals, i.e. motherboards, hdrives and cdrom.

It's not too expensive to buy new stuff in BKK (based on UK or MY prices).

If you go with this, when you begin stripping down, if you find dust and cobwebs, leave them alone, don't clean it off. Make sure the items are visibly 'used'.

Keyboads and mice too, don't clean them. In fact, go get some chocolate, get sticky fingers and muck them up. (Even just a little.)

It's not dishonest to protect any prior investment.

Having re-read your post, as long as you can prove the equipment is used and that you will be taking it back with you when you leave, there shouldn't be any problems. Might be worth getting in touch with customs where you are and letting them advise you. If there is anything to be paid, duty wise, you may be able to pay before you send if couier or airfreight but that too could work out a bit more expensive than paying in BKK.

Here's a name of an old friend whom I believe still works in the industry and who might be able to either throw more light on the subject or he might know of some strings you can pull when you arrive.

TRANS AIR EXPRESS PVT. LTD.

Address, 77/10 Sukhumvit Soi 4, Sukhumvit Road, Klongtoey Bangkok 10110 Thailand ... Fax, 662-6569022. Contact Person, MR. CHRISTIAN SQUIBB. (He's a Brit) Custom Info, A ...

www.transairexpress.com/agents.asp - (direct from Google)

Currently working in BKK. Courier professional.

Nice chap too! (No, not gay!!)

Edited by mr-chris

specifically a 23" Apple Cinema Display, along w/ a dual 2.5GHz or dual 2.7GHz Powermac, normal selling price in baht would be very welcome if someone could enlighten me... thx in advance all and have a good one..!

I have a price list dated August 25th '05 and not sure if this is the most up-to-date price of the desktop Macs but here you go. This is a price from a shop called copperwired, probably the only Apple dealer with two outlets in the country.

G5 Dual 2.0Ghz B94,900

G5 Dual 2.4Ghz B115,900

G5 Dual 2.7Ghz B135,900

20 inch Cinema B35,900

23 inch Cinema B64,900

30 inch Cinema B125,900

These prices are exclusive of 7% VAT.

You will not be eligible for VAT refund even as a tourist if you are going to live in Thailand on an extended period.

Having worked in an industry which relates directly to your concerns and accepting that changes will have taken place since, the tax on electrical goods into Thailand could still be up to 40% of the true value of the item.

That depends on what electrical goods and for IT products believe the import duty is 5%. Nonetheless I would not personally import a desktop computer myself, as with 7% VAT on cost of the goods + shipping + insurance + import duty all combined, it will probably add up to the price of a new Mac in Thailand so why the hassle.

Edited by Nordlys

That depends on what electrical goods and for IT products believe the import duty is 5%.

Like I said, things change. Well, I'm only bringing the bits this time so I won't be displaying large boxes of monitors etc. Just a bag with clothes (some anyway) and a few bits inside.

There shouldn't be any hassle this way. (He says as he kneels and brings his hands together in prayer!)

:o

As for sending anything by airfreight or courier, these will naturally cost more than just stripping back to the bare essentials and shoving it in the baggage.

Edited by mr-chris