PM Defends Necessity For Flood Water To Be Drained Through Bangkok

webfact

PM Defends Necessity for Flood Water to Be Drained through BKK

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra held her weekly radio address, stressing that Thailand is facing a severe flood crisis and flood water will definitely enter Bangkok but the authorities will protect key areas from flooding. She added that she is preparing 1,743 evacuation centers which will be able to accommodate 800,000 people.

During the PM’s weekly radio address, she noted that key areas in Bangkok which will be saved are palaces, hospitals, government offices and key economic areas such as the Don Mueang Airport, the skytrain and the subway.

She confirmed the authorities will keep expressways and overpasses unblocked to prevent a traffic gridlock. Moreover, electricity and water plants will have to be saved as well.

Yingluck warned Bangkok residents to move belongings higher by at least one meter and prepare for four to six weeks of flooding.

She said for this crisis, everyone must not discriminate nor panic but they must not be complacent either. She added the government will try to minimize damage and lessen people’s sufferings as soon as possible.

YIngluck stated the northern flood runoff has to pass through Bangkok and drained out to sea as soon as possible via the opening of Bangkok canals’ floodgates. She assured the volume will be controlled so as not to cause widespread flooding which will affect residents.

She defended the decision, stating that failures with efforts to block the flood water shows that it is futile to build flood barriers to prevent the flow of water from higher elevation to lower elevation and doing so will only increase its strength and cause an overflow. She added that the temporary flood barriers of sandbags can only slow water but cannot stop it completely. With the added rain, the situation is worsened.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-10-22

footer_n.gif

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yingluck warned Bangkok residents to move belongings higher by at least one meter and prepare for four to six weeks of flooding.

Seem to recall as according to her team of " assorted minsters" everything was is under control and no need to worry.

Seems as if we may all be living in a different world to our Muppet puppet Prime Minister.

They need to get this going ASAP.

I figure 1 or 2 days for us to get an idea of what areas will flood for the 6 to 8 weeks.

Once they get it going & it stabilizes, we can start to figure out how we are going to handle it.

In the meantime, we are all in limbo.

She assured the volume will be controlled so as not to cause widespread flooding which will affect residents.

So a metre of water and 4 - 6 weeks of flooding won't affect residents?

Another useless statement from useless PM....

As if we don't know yet that the situation is serious, and that we gonna have to be flooded....

Rather than talking and talking and talking she'd better give the command to competent people, pack her belongings, and go as far as possible from Thailand....

She assured the volume will be controlled so as not to cause widespread flooding which will affect residents.

So a metre of water and 4 - 6 weeks of flooding won't affect residents?

Evidently she doesn't run these kind of wild statements by her advisors before making them. What's the old saying "the lights are on but no one's home"?

What does she mean by will enter Bangkok? We live in Bangkok, our address is Bangkok, go to Chaengwattana immigration and are we flooded, the floods have already entered Bangkok Ms YS.

And I wonder what allowance will be made for border runners who cant?? same as the volunteers is suspect, still at least its a good job tourist figures are on the up eh?

I figure 1 or 2 days for us to get an idea of what areas will flood for the 6 to 8 weeks.

Once they get it going & it stabilizes, we can start to figure out how we are going to handle it.

Totally different tune from you when i suggested the same yesterday. Here we are still flooded in rising water. But not as hard hit as other villages.

I hope for you guys it will be as much as it is here.

If the Muppets had controlled the flow of water weeks ago through Bangkok, I doubt we would be in the situation we face now.

Will be interesting to see if they start a programme of clearing the drains + canals and klongs. When this is all over and maybe Install some storm drains. I suspect the problem with storm drains is, they would make good rubbish tips?

jb1

Totally different tune from you when i suggested the same yesterday. Here we are still flooded in rising water. But not as hard hit as other villages.

]Rob, I can understand that you guys are doing it tough in the north, but what you wrote is a really weird statement. Sort of like saying … “I’ve got a broken leg … I hope your leg breaks so that you can feel my pain”.

ALL of Thailand is feeling the pain now!

Remember also that the flood did not initiate in the Bangkok surrounds but has travelled to the south from the north. They are simply trying to mitigate the flood risk, the same as you guys did in the north.

Bangkok is simply the exit point for the majority of the flood waters.

Edited by metisdead
Font

What does she mean by will enter Bangkok? We live in Bangkok, our address is Bangkok, go to Chaengwattana immigration and are we flooded, the floods have already entered Bangkok Ms YS.

Evidently K. Pracha is misinformed. I think they need to change their name to CROCK.

Posted 13 minutes ago FROC press con: Pracha assures situation under control; no flooding in BKK yet

Rob, I can understand that you guys are doing it tough in the north, but what you wrote is a really weird statement. Sort of like saying … “I’ve got a broken leg … I hope your leg breaks so that you can feel my pain”.

Remember also that the flood did not initiate in the Bangkok surrounds but has travelled to the south from the north. They are simply trying to mitigate the flood risk, the same as you guys did in the north.

Sorry what i meant to say is i hope you get a similar amount and not much more. Here now it still is manageable. Other places around here are totally flooded. That was what i meant.

As long as the power isnt cut or the water does not rise too much more then it will be ok only the first level flooded partly.

Edited by robblok

1319257677[/url]' post='4784122']
1319252328[/url]' post='4783963']

Evidently K. Pracha is misinformed. I think they need to change their name to CROCK.

Posted 13 minutes ago FROC press con: Pracha assures situation under control; no flooding in BKK yet

Lying scumbags the lot of them. Trying to pretend everything was under control with the Prapa canal, I read that press release on Thursday while waiting for more sand to arrive while we were trying to save the village. And now today this announcement from Pracha, 'no flooding in BKK yet'. I am flooded, I live in BKK, therefore flooding has arrived in BKK. Stay safe everybody, we got out of town as the water started to roll up our driveway. We decided to get out while we could instead of being another family needing boat rescue and shelter. Going to sit things out here in the NE where there is plenty of drinking water and fish in the river and consider if we want to return and try to fix up our home and business that is now flooded, in Bangkok. That's flooding in Bangkok Mr Pracha just in case you are confused about that.

Not at all.

Yesterday you were talking about burning down shopping malls and I was pointing out that your malice towards residents of Bangkok were misplaced.

Nothing at all has changed. Bangkok residents have not made any decision to let water in as it is still not our decision to make.

You made a fool of yourself yesterday and tried to backtrack.

Anyway, I do commend your 'village' for keeping the internet up despite you being waist deep in water. Have you thought of lending a hand instead of posting here all day ?

Not at all.

Yesterday you were talking about burning down shopping malls and I was pointing out that your malice towards residents of Bangkok were misplaced.

Nothing at all has changed. Bangkok residents have not made any decision to let water in as it is still not our decision to make.

You made a fool of yourself yesterday and tried to backtrack.

Anyway, I do commend your 'village' for keeping the internet up despite you being waist deep in water. Have you thought of lending a hand instead of posting here all day ?

Could you tell me where i said anything about burning down shopping malls ?

Yesterday i was saying that Bangkok should take water preferably voluntary to get it all passed quicker. If they did not i did wish them to get flooded. (wont deny that) But never said a thing about burning down anything.

I have done my fair share of helping. Building sandbag dykes, distributing water. (my purifier was one of the few still functioning).

But not much to do now i mean we just have to wait.

I think waiting for the water is almost worse than what the water would be- of course, I'll probably change my mind on this once the water hits...

Even when the water hits its bad, it would not be so bad if you knew how high it was going to be and how long. Now that it has hit us i worry about how deep it will get.

Rob, I can understand that you guys are doing it tough in the north, but what you wrote is a really weird statement. Sort of like saying … “I’ve got a broken leg … I hope your leg breaks so that you can feel my pain”.

Sorry what i meant to say is i hope you get a similar amount and not much more. Here now it still is manageable. Other places around here are totally flooded. That was what i meant.

As long as the power isnt cut or the water does not rise too much more then it will be ok only the first level flooded partly.

Also sorry Rob ... didn't mean to flame you .. my wrong.

Just read it a different way.

Good luck to you guys up north.

My girl is to the south east of Bangkok and nervously waiting.

Also sorry Rob ... didn't mean to flame you .. my wrong.

Just read it a different way.

Good luck to you guys up north.

My girl is to the south east of Bangkok and nervously waiting.

NO problem i put it totally wrong, really its ok as long you have electricity and water and food.