Thai Floods To Last Four To Six Weeks More: Govt

webfact

Then GET ON WITH IT!. They keep talking they're going to open the floodgates, but they aren't people are waiting for it to happen it doesn't happen. They said Klong Sam Wa, where I live, was going to flood last week. Then it was Thursday night at 10... Nothing... Then they said Saturday morning... Nothing.

The problem is that there are too many cooks in the kitchen and the government has thought it politically necessary to bring in so-called experts, former politicians with no flood experience, to act as advisers. They all want to seem and feel important, so they come up with half-baked ideas.

Meanwhile, everybody is left guessing.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW 4 to 6 weeks.....

Since Bangkok is basically at the mouth of the river I do not see how it can handle this for 4-6 weeks,

My flight is in 16 days , I might need to rethink this ,

Or come over and help my friends move everything up 2 meters just for safety !

BK

My flight is scheduled for 15th November, looks like I will be postponing now until January. I just hope the nice man who has rented me an apt will hold my deposit for January or return it.

I wish all people in BKK the very best.

My fiance lives in Nonthaburi, Tiwanon area so if some one can give me an update on that area it would be great. Tanya says she is ok but I would also like to hear it from a fellow Farang.

Edited by Sibbo

Let's see. A human being can last for three days with no water, and can last for three weeks with no food. So if this 4 to 6 weeks number is true, I sure as hell hope they have an intelligent plan to get water and food to all the stranded people.....

i doubt 1 meter of water is going to stop anyone getting to 7/11

What would the point be if it's closed? :blink:

The 7/11 is just a name - they never close. All that will happen is that the dogs will sleep on top of the sandbags instead of across the door.

The idea that the former government would have dealt with this unprecedented amount of water any better than the current government, in office just two months, is laughable. The only measures that could have been taken since they took office are stop-gap measures because the deficiencies have been years in the making. Sure they could have done a better job, but they aren't doing that bad in most areas. Most of the criticism I have seen in the Post and Nation come from the usual suspects with their barely hidden agenda of criticizing anything that is even tangentially related to that twice-elected Prime Minister overthrown in a completely illegal military coup--the kind that have now virtually disappeared in most parts of the world. You know who I am talking about, the one who is he source of all that is wrong in Thailand. Funny that the opposition had five years to fix Thailand's problems and hardly did anything. That is why they were overwhelmingly rejected during the last election despite a MSM pumping out anti-red shirt stories virtually non-stop.

Kermit the Frog would have dealt with the water better than the current government.

I really don't like Abhisit but most probably he would have declared State of Emergency 2 weeks ago instead of making himself to the Disaster Dictator without knowledge like Yingluck did.

I'm sitting here in the UK so in many ways feel what I'm asking may sound insenstitive but I am genuinely curious about the situation regarding the MRT - has there been any safeguards put in place with regards to the potential flooding, especially if some are citing that such an event will happen rapidly?

Apologies if any offence caused by this question.

Funny that the opposition had five years to fix Thailand's problems and hardly did anything.

"Five years"? The Democrat-led governemnt only had less than half that time, during which they were distracted frequently by militant "peaceful protesters" who were funded by their opponents (Thaksin and friends).

That is why they were overwhelmingly rejected during the last election

Do you think populist policies like the 300 THB daily minimum wage had nothing to do with the success of Pheu Thai in the election?

despite a MSM pumping out anti-red shirt stories virtually non-stop.

... whilst red shirt media pumped out anti-government (and some anti-monarchist) propaganda virtually non-stop, funded by their opponents.

Edited by hyperdimension

"The government will oversee the distribution of all consumer goods and ensure that they are sufficient and available for everyone."

"Bangkok residents must be prepared to cope with the situation because there is a lot of water, but don't panic and don't stockpile goods," Yingluck said.

Would people actually trust and rely on these words? "don't stockpile goods" because the government will "ensure that they are sufficient and available for everyone"? That is some of the most idiotic advice and promise I have ever heard from a government. I hope the loyal red shirt and Thaksin supporters do actually take her advice.

The government of the U.S.A. has better advice: Basic Emergency Preparedness Recommendations (though I think a 3 day supply of food and water is still not enough).

Edited by hyperdimension

To all the naysayers, lazy barstewards, and barstool generals, have a very close look at the pics in the following link and HONESTLY tell me anyone could have stopped the amount of this floodwater seen FROM SPACE(!!!!) could actually be stopped! If you have an answer I WILL HIRE YOU AS YOUR AGENT AND JOB YOU OUT TO THIS GOVERNMENT (high dayrate btw....). We will be called gods, superpeople, or whatever... Just have a look at the satellite pics>>>>>

http://earthobservat...ew.php?id=76110

And yet Plodprasob states in the post preceding yours, that it was caused by the BMA closing the floodgates. Surely you aren't accusing the minister of telling porkies so as to play the blame game.

I should have guessed that you were CM.

No Oz, I can categorically deny that I just whipped up that NASA website. I do think the "black / blue stuff (I.E. water) on those maps doesn't have anything to do with the BMA playing with gates. Now the EGAT and Irrigation dept may be queried - heavily - about the dam water getting too high tho'......

I don't think that anyone is questioning the fact that the unprecedented amount of water could be stopped - it's just the governments slow and abyssmal response and pig-headed attitude in not listening to sound advice until 'too late in the day' that has exacerbated the whole disaster and elevated it into a catastrophe :unsure:.

They have got their priorities wrong (putting business, tourism and investor confidence above that of the people), given out so much disinformation that people's heads must be spinning out of control with confusion, failed to issue an emergency situation decree because the red shirt factions in the government are paranoid about the army fashioning a coup - honestly, what is that all about??? Daft prats!!

Please tell me - do you think that the handling has been top notch??, or dire and irresponsible, in abandoning the (foolish) idiots who put these buffoons into power. I know that it is not an appropriate time to be saying "serve them right" but I can't help thinking it, if I'm to be honest!!

sorry!!! but anyone still supporting and attempting to justify the worthiness and abject workings of this government need their brains tested and must simply be in denial on account of them not wanting to lose face, there can be no other reason for this absurd reasoning!!!:huh:.

I'd love to know how credible this statement is. Thinking of moving my work out of Bangkok for a while.

Water was starting to trickle out if the drains at the entrance to Sukhumvit 23 when I passed a couple of hours ago. Black, stinky stuff.Pl

Can you imagine the contamination level of that "tap water" ? How about the food in waist deep flood water? And also "waste" deep. How about all those roaming dogs in Thailand - are they drowned, starved , and just decomposing in the flood water on the streets? What "tap water" and "food" will Plodprasop provide? What has he planned for? This whole mismanagement for months is an outrage.

Can't we stop slagging off the government's handling of the situation?

I wouldn't mind so much if farangs actually had any power to change things by way of, oh I dunno . . . a VOTE but the fact is, we can't. It's not an outrage at all. It's a natural disaster and those who feel that the pros of residence in Thailand no longer outweigh the cons as a consequence of the prevailing situation, are reminded that operations at Suwarnabhumi airport remain unaffected by the flood water at this time.

We know the government's cocked it up but that acknowledgement ain't gonna fill your belly over the coming days.

I'm sitting here in the UK so in many ways feel what I'm asking may sound insenstitive but I am genuinely curious about the situation regarding the MRT - has there been any safeguards put in place with regards to the potential flooding, especially if some are citing that such an event will happen rapidly?

Good question and we are all wondering about that .... although the Govt probably says it's safe .... all the rest of us probably expect it to be flooded.

Minister Plodprasop:

BKK will see 50cm-1m flooding in all districts for 1 month; Electricity and tap water will still be available

All districts?

And is this official, or his normal blurting out of nonsense?

+1 This man has been wrong every time he has opened his mouth.Buggers belief how he hasn't been made to keep quiet.

he is the most unreliable source of information possible.Let's wait and see for a few days and see what the more qualified people say

Let's see. A human being can last for three days with no water, and can last for three weeks with no food. So if this 4 to 6 weeks number is true, I sure as hell hope they have an intelligent plan to get water and food to all the stranded people.....

i doubt 1 meter of water is going to stop anyone getting to 7/11

:-) Was referring more to the people up north , that have been sitting in water for weeks now. According to the Thai tv news, there are a lot of people who are afraid to leave their flooded homes due to fear of theft of their remaining possessions.......

The 7-11 stores appear to be resupplied on a virtually daily basis. If there is a lot of water coming into Bangkok , with no means of resupply, the stores will be emptied in short order.

Nice, Have a high truck so can get to 7/11 problem is it has been closed for 3 days as they sold out and there is no way to get supplied to this 7/11, 3 km the other way also same.. Our Village is dry we are walled in, this morning the entrance was also the wall build, so no way to get out now..

Hope letting the water flow through BKK will help the millions of people north, east and west of the City.

From what I understand is Bangkok from tv is like a bowl, meaning rangsit and zeer is on the highland, this means the, one metre is meant for central bangkok.. But I'm sure they'll be blocking it.

Not really a bowl. Check this out>>>> http://flood.firetree.net/

It looks like a bowl to me:

You can also see that it's an almost smooth downwards slope from Sukhothai, through Bangkok, to the sea. :unsure:

Elevation map: http://www.globalwar...g=101.25&zoom=7

Flood map: http://flood.longdo.com/en

Edited by hyperdimension

They are higher, some steps up and they can close waterproof (I got told) and they have strong pumps so a small leakage isn't a problem.

(That was in one newspaper...don't know which)

Flood water can be purified and drunk using some sort of filter and plastic water bottles for solar purification. see link below

http://en.wikipedia....er_disinfection

That is useful to know. But note that:

Solar water disinfection does not remove toxic chemicals which may be present in the water, such as factory waste.
When the water is highly turbid, SODIS can not be used alone, additional filtering or flocculation is then necessary to clarify the water prior to SODIS treatment.

I hope everyone remembers water filtration and distillation techniques from high school science classes. I presume these are taught in Thai schools too.

Filtration (using paper or sock filled with sand) would eradicate mud and other particles.

Distillation would help to eradicate toxic chemicals but I'm not sure if it would eradicate all - it may depend on what chemicals are in the water.

Hi Mobie .. this might help.

From the website http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MRT_%28Bangkok%29

"Considering that Bangkok is a low-lying plain which is prone to flooding, all of the Metro's station entrances are raised about one metre above the ground level and are equipped with built-in floodgates in order to avoid water inundating the system."

If you happen to be a share holder ... http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/quote?ticker=BMCL:TB

Minister Plodprasop:

BKK will see 50cm-1m flooding in all districts for 1 month; Electricity and tap water will still be available

All districts?

And is this official, or his normal blurting out of nonsense?

As a reply to your second line: Yes and yes.

yes empty vessels make the most sound you know

Yes mate. And those in charge rae making loads of noise and doing zilch.

Thanks for siding with those of us who know that even if any of this gov have a brain cell, it's a recluse.

SIDING with those of you...?? This is what this is about for you? Like an <deleted> football match? shock1.gif

Many thanks for the answers regarding my question concerning the MRT. When in Bangkok I predominently use the system from Asoke to Hua Lamphong and whenever people relate to past floods (and now, this current one) my mind thinks towards the MRT and its ability to cope.

To those currently enduring the present flood - my best of wishes for a rapid and pain-free abatement.

Edited by moobie

To all the naysayers, lazy barstewards, and barstool generals, have a very close look at the pics in the following link and HONESTLY tell me anyone could have stopped the amount of this floodwater seen FROM SPACE(!!!!) could actually be stopped! If you have an answer I WILL HIRE YOU AS YOUR AGENT AND JOB YOU OUT TO THIS GOVERNMENT (high dayrate btw....). We will be called gods, superpeople, or whatever... Just have a look at the satellite pics>>>>>

Can you interpret this map for us. It is hard to know what is what, e.g. what is the black stuff and where does the sea start? Is there a more up-to-date map than the latest here of 11 Oct?

Hope you're not takin' the p _ ss.... I'll bite anyhow.... The black / dk. Blue stuff is WATER in one sat pic there is not very much (as in normal water levels). In the top map there's a lot more black stuff. This means more water. As in a lot more water. Open your Google earth or Yahoo maps and compare the writing on these maps to your google maps. Put 2 screens next to each other or split your screen fpr comparison pictures. This will give you a better understanding of what you are looking at.

I think it's good that it reflects the change from October 8 to October 11.

It puts into perspective the Agriculture Minister's declaration on October 16.

The worst apparently over: Agriculture Minister

BANGKOK: -- Agriculture Minister Theera Wongsamut assured Bangkok residents living along the Chao Phraya River that the worst is over

At the Flood Relief Operations Centre press conference today, he added that water level in Singburi and Ayutthaya tends to be lower today as massive run-off from Nakhon Sawan has passed Bangkok.

Edited by Buchholz

And yet Plodprasob states in the post preceding yours, that it was caused by the BMA closing the floodgates. Surely you aren't accusing the minister of telling porkies so as to play the blame game.

I should have guessed that you were CM.

No Oz, I can categorically deny that I just whipped up that NASA website. I do think the "black / blue stuff (I.E. water) on those maps doesn't have anything to do with the BMA playing with gates. Now the EGAT and Irrigation dept may be queried - heavily - about the dam water getting too high tho'......

I don't think that anyone is questioning the fact that the unprecedented amount of water could be stopped - it's just the governments slow and abyssmal response and pig-headed attitude in not listening to sound advice until 'too late in the day' that has exacerbated the whole disaster and elevated it into a catastrophe :unsure:.

They have got their priorities wrong (putting business, tourism and investor confidence above that of the people), given out so much disinformation that people's heads must be spinning out of control with confusion, failed to issue an emergency situation decree because the red shirt factions in the government are paranoid about the army fashioning a coup - honestly, what is that all about??? Daft prats!!

Please tell me - do you think that the handling has been top notch??, or dire and irresponsible, in abandoning the (foolish) idiots who put these buffoons into power. I know that it is not an appropriate time to be saying "serve them right" but I can't help thinking it, if I'm to be honest!!

sorry!!! but anyone still supporting and attempting to justify the worthiness and abject workings of this government need their brains tested and must simply be in denial on account of them not wanting to lose face, there can be no other reason for this absurd reasoning!!!:huh:.

Sischon,

I know you have been here a while as I have. I know that you are most likely aware of the flooding in the south in Nov. 2010. Hence, you should also know of the slow reaction time of your fav political party wasn't even on par with the scale of this disaster sir! Ergo, this MASSIVE flood appears to be a drop or fraction of the time spent (but OH NO... not the money!!!) by your fav party at it's own power base - the south sir!

Flood water can be purified and drunk using some sort of filter and plastic water bottles for solar purification. see link below

http://en.wikipedia....er_disinfection

That is useful to know. But note that:

Solar water disinfection does not remove toxic chemicals which may be present in the water, such as factory waste.
When the water is highly turbid, SODIS can not be used alone, additional filtering or flocculation is then necessary to clarify the water prior to SODIS treatment.

I hope everyone remembers water filtration and distillation techniques from high school science classes. I presume these are taught in Thai schools too.

Filtration (using paper or sock filled with sand) would eradicate mud and other particles.

Distillation would help to eradicate toxic chemicals but I'm not sure if it would eradicate all - it may depend on what chemicals are in the water.

I filled all available buckets and pots and smaller plastic bottles with tab water. Makes purification easier, I guess!

Here's a map and satellite view from Oct. 19 together. Altogether there looks to be a mass of water about the size of Taiwan heading towards Bangkok.

Thanks for that.

It would appear that 3 days after Ag Minister's statement, water had reversed back after passing Bangkok and returned to Nakhon Sawan.

It puts into perspective the Agriculture Minister's declaration on October 16.

At the Flood Relief Operations Centre press conference today, he added that water level in Singburi and Ayutthaya tends to be lower today as massive run-off from Nakhon Sawan has passed Bangkok.

[

Sischon,

I know you have been here a while as I have. I know that you are most likely aware of the flooding in the south in Nov. 2010. Hence, you should also know of the slow reaction time of your fav political party wasn't even on par with the scale of this disaster sir! Ergo, this MASSIVE flood appears to be a drop or fraction of the time spent (but OH NO... not the money!!!) by your fav party at it's own power base - the south sir!

OK, you and I both accept that this flood is far worse than the one down South - but PM Abhisit not once but TWICE paid a visit to Khanom (30 km away from Sichon) to calm and console the people there (this was gratefully appreciated by the people, by the way). He didn't seek TV exposure time and was composed in public which provides more reassurance than when Yingluck threw the towel in saying quite pitifully "I've done all I can and there's nothing else I can do" in the rather distressed state of a born loser that was out-of-place !!!!:unsure:.

The Democrat government handled the situation far more capably and in doing so managed to minimise the repercussions of the floodwater which succeeded in keeping the damage and loss of life down with their swift and decisive actions.

Admittedly, this is on a different scale, but the shambles that ensued in what was a Mickey Mouse performance by those novices giving conflicting information, warnings that were false alarms, not giving warnings that should have been given, not doing this, doing that when 9 times out of 10 it should have been the other way around, doing things at the wrong time or too late - just where was the co-ordination and decision making????

What really is alarming is the petty power broking that was going on whilst people were drowning and seeing their houses disappear under the water. It is absolutely apalling witnessing the contempt of her cabinet members and red-shirted MP's who refused to listen to or take any notice of what Yingluck was saying. I can partially understand this because "bad advice" is often worse than "no advice at all" - in Yingluck's case it was an unfavourable combination of the two.

Lastly, interesting to see that the Democrat governor has issued evacuation notices to abandon 27 districts of Bangkok - if it had been left to this government then that would probably have been given 'well after the event whereby they would be swimming out of their houses rather than walking out with their precious possessions'!!!!!:jap:.

Edited by SICHONSTEVE

Sischon,

The 2010 floods were flash floods. The government didn't have more than a month's notice that they were going to happen and where they were going to hit.

Perhaps the Fragrant Lady might be spending the weekend praying to Scottie, the God of Teleportation:

Beam yourself down Big Brother, all is forgiven or will soon be forgotten.

Come back and save us all in our darkest hour.

(Well, my darkest hour at least, the rest can sink or swim)