URGENT: Bangkok Governor Orders Evacuation Of Residents Of 27 Communities

webfact

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Chaopraya river is the natural way for Bangkok to be flooded by this deluge. The chaopraya river has never been blocked. Bangkok could never escape "sharing the flood misery" with the rest of central Thailand.

But flooding Bangkok's residential and commercial areas by opening the flood gates of those canals (designed with intention to protect these areas) will have little positive effect (on the dispersion of flood waters) in the final analysis ..... but will have huge negative effect on the population

It was because of the negative effect that the closed gates were having on the population that the gates were open. Helps if you keep up with the rest of the country.

By what stretch of the imagination is this not a state of emergency - Thailand should be asking the rest of the world to help not pretending that it will all be alright!

I will never in a million years understand this "loss of face" thing - life is much more simple "if you are in trouble ask for help" and when you are not in trouble look for others that need help!

I really hope that something is done before any more people needlessly lose their lives - they could have evacuated areas days ago in an orderly fashion - now they are opening the way for panic. I dont think this government or PM are particularly responsible since it seems that no Thai public figures are ever prepared to admit there are problems they cant deal with!

You have never been to Thailand? Thailand should ask foreigners to help in Thailand?? Get real. The government will let people starve and die before that would happen.

Everyone will be glad to know that their fav korean soap is on channel 3, gameshow on 5, sitcom on 7 and 9, nbt is showing old footage of flooding from today, only tnn deams it a big enough story to go live with it.

Exactly, its a joke, also they show these slow motion videos about the flooding and mix it with emotional pity songs, what a joke is this, i just laugh.. But pity those families who live on daily income and now no house, no jobs, no food, no nothing, well done khun mai pen rais... Anyway, its a natural disaster regarding the changing climate same like Katrina or other so they have to put their best efforts to tell the ppl the truth not showing this useless dramas all the time...

Goes to show how little you understand about Thailand.

Don't come.

New TAT slogan?

No, the new TAT slogan will be something along the lines of "Flood? What flood? . . . oh, and don't forget the water wings!"

So many new waterfront vacation opportunities, where miracles never cease.

New TAT press release:

Thailand Awarded BEST Tourist Destination

(hidden somewhere in article: "... was awarded best destination in 2005 by..")

By what stretch of the imagination is this not a state of emergency - Thailand should be asking the rest of the world to help not pretending that it will all be alright!

I will never in a million years understand this "loss of face" thing - life is much more simple "if you are in trouble ask for help" and when you are not in trouble look for others that need help!

I really hope that something is done before any more people needlessly lose their lives - they could have evacuated areas days ago in an orderly fashion - now they are opening the way for panic. I dont think this government or PM are particularly responsible since it seems that no Thai public figures are ever prepared to admit there are problems they cant deal with!

You have never been to Thailand? Thailand should ask foreigners to help in Thailand?? Get real. The government will let people starve and die before that would happen.

Love repeating myself. Goes to show how little you understand about Thailand. The dumb farang is always right and why the Thais call it Thailand.

Definition = free of dumb stupid ignorant god fearing cultural void cheap charlie farangs. Yet to meet one foreigner that is not cultural inept. If you don't appreciate the country there are 63 million Thais willing to to see your potentially flabby backside wobbling through any departures lounge.

"So far, the reasons behind the sharp rise in water level of the Chao Phraya River has remained unknown and unidentified"

Could it have anything to do with this?

ph34r.gif

licklips.gif reminds me: Patpong is still dry! Time for beer and titties!

The Chaopraya river is the natural way for Bangkok to be flooded by this deluge. The chaopraya river has never been blocked. Bangkok could never escape "sharing the flood misery" with the rest of central Thailand.

But flooding Bangkok's residential and commercial areas by opening the flood gates of those canals (designed with intention to protect these areas) will have little positive effect (on the dispersion of flood waters) in the final analysis ..... but will have huge negative effect on the population

It was because of the negative effect that the closed gates were having on the population that the gates were open. Helps if you keep up with the rest of the country.

the closed gates were protecting the residential and commercial areas of Bangkok. If you are one of those who thinks flooding these areas helps the population outside the flood gates in any way except psychologically (why are we flooded and they aren't), then measure the water levels before and after and reconsider.

And HOW do you "plug" your toilets please?

The infographic he attached suggests you throw sandbags down them. dam_n unlucky mum-in-law didn't visit this week, she could have just sat on it. laugh.gif

I have a better idea that involves a lot of meat and beer.....

<Snip!>.... I'm coming to bangkok on the second and i will be staying near the Chao Phya river on the other side of the saphan taksin bridge even if i'm going to be on the 9th floor its going to put a dent in my holiday plans. any advice guys?

Go to Chiang Mai...no problems here.

The thai goverment asked the World Bank and UN for help last week- a massive needs assessment is underway coordinated by the bank. UN will provide relief support.

Not surprising for the UN to be solicited for assistance, but the World Bank? Thailand has billions USD in their war chest, why not us their own funds before soliciting aid from the rest of the world? The sad part of any $$$ aid sent to Thailand is that very little of it will be used to assist those in need as it will find it's way into the accounts of those in power. One only has to recall the tsunami in Phuket and the millions in aid that mysteriously went missing.

After asking for directions to some place or other in Thailand, I can believe some Thais might need to be told, but I cannot believe you dummies need to be told if you live near the Chao Praya river...Duuuuuhhhh!!!!

If high water is 100mm from overflowing in one place it does not mean it is the same everywhere.

The important thing to note is that if the flood water from the North will be flowing through Bangkok one way or another for the next 4-6 weeks as forecast, then there will be 3 'spring' tides when the risk of flooding will be highest. These will be when there is no moon and when there is a full moon. The 1st will be 27/28 Oct -no moon, so obviously the river will be rising between now and then. It will then recede (go down) for one week then start to rise again for the second week until the next full moon, this pattern will be repeated -tides will drop for 1 week then rise again for 1 week until the moon disappears. You can work out the dates! Further, everyday the tide comes in twice and goes out twice;that is to say it rises for 6 hours and drops for 6 hours twice a day. So you need to take this into consideration when observing the river and calculating the flood risk.

Apologies to all grandmothers sucking eggs.

Hello sailors out there! I mean the real ones! Surely one of you can post a set of tide tables on Thaivisa and clarify what I have outlined briefly above.

Also I think that no-one should be lulled into a false sense of security by the apparently gentle and benign flooding from the water seeping into Bangkok from the North. The fast flowing tidal waters of the Chao Praya river are potentially much more dangerous, I think, if they overflow. But this is only my opinion so please correct me if you have experienced the river overflowing previously and this is not the case.

Take care and good luck to you all in Bangkok

One only has to recall the tsunami in Phuket and the millions in aid that mysteriously went missing.

Oh yes.

That is the one thing that I truly hate about this country. There are so many money hungry pigs around, and everything is about money. Even things like love and religion is pretty much focused on profit.

The thai goverment asked the World Bank and UN for help last week- a massive needs assessment is underway coordinated by the bank. UN will provide relief support.

Not surprising for the UN to be solicited for assistance, but the World Bank? Thailand has billions USD in their war chest, why not us their own funds before soliciting aid from the rest of the world? The sad part of any $$$ aid sent to Thailand is that very little of it will be used to assist those in need as it will find it's way into the accounts of those in power. One only has to recall the tsunami in Phuket and the millions in aid that mysteriously went missing.

I suppose as usual the Thai Govt only wants cash donations ... no advice please and also probably no advisors wanted.

To much work issuing work pemit for all the helpworkers?:blink:

[..]

Hello sailors out there! I mean the real ones! Surely one of you can post a set of tide tables on Thaivisa and clarify what I have outlined briefly above.

[...]

Take care and good luck to you all in Bangkok

Look for Tidal Table Bangkok (can't get the link to work)

Good Luck

A post listing the 27 communities ordered to evacuate in Thai script has been deleted as the listing has already been posted in English:

List of 27 Riverside Communities Ordered to Evacuate

UPDATE : 22 October 2011

The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration is evacuating 27 riverside communities in 13 districts as follows:

1. Khlong Bang Khen Mai, 16 households

2. Rama 6 (near river), 25 households

3. Keaw Kai Ka, 20 households

4. Soi Si Kam (the end of Sam Saen Soi 19), 11 households

5. Ratchapa Thuptim Ruamjai (foot of Krungthon Bridge), 40 households

6. End of Soi Mitrkam (Sam Sean Soi 13), 140 households,

7. Tawaratch Khunchorn, 40 households

8. Tah Wang (Pier), 16 households

9. Tah Chang (Pier) , 25 households

10. Tah Tien (Pier), 120 households

11. Pathum Kongka Temple, 12 households

12. Talad Noi, 10 households