Monsoon 2011

Well I guess the monsoon season this year has started already.

What with the rain over the past few days, and leaving a general feeling of dampness even when It stops.

This morning heavy rain just started with high winds and thunder & lightning.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thunder yesterday morning and this morning about 6am was incredible. All the windows were shaking in my house. Never known thunder like it. I thought it was an earthquake or something.

New Mexican in town?

You can keep up to date :Click here for the Thai Meteorological Department's forecast for Koh Samui.

Click here to see the Accuweather 15-day forecast for Samui.

Click here or Click here to see the most recent radar image.

Click here for the TMD's general forecast for Thailand.

Click here for Windguru Koh samui.

Click here for Thaivisa Koh Samui weather.

click here for Wunderground.

Click here for Wolframalpha.

The thunder yesterday morning and this morning about 6am was incredible. All the windows were shaking in my house. Never known thunder like it. I thought it was an earthquake or something.

New Mexican in town?

No - my next door neighbour had beans on toast last night :hit-the-fan:

usually the monsoon season starts when the monsoon starts coming from the North East. If that's not the case, it's just bad weather.

I agree with sketcher - right on schedule.

Yep - the wind is moving round to the NE this week. Finally got the BBQ out again on Friday B)

The wind had started to change direction. Weather forecast seems good till next Sunday.

i think it just has started. Heavy rains now here in Chaweng, with strong gusts coming out of the East. And many lightning strikes very very nearby... I guess I will have to prepare the genny.

Is there any reason yet to suggest we are going to actually have a rainy season? Sure, we've just had a little storm but otherwise the weather so far has been good. I wonder whether the north and central Thailand might have taken our rain too.

I'd be absolutely delighted to listen to your comments. :)

Is there any reason yet to suggest we are going to actually have a rainy season? Sure, we've just had a little storm but otherwise the weather so far has been good. I wonder whether the north and central Thailand might have taken our rain too.

Bit early to suggest there won't be one either.....keep those wellies handy carmine! biggrin.gif

well to a newbie to this island i have to say coming from the north-east of England the weather is fine do you not think us Brits morn to much, i lived in Florida for a year and a half and the rain and thunder and lighting are nothing compared to this.Even did a storm chase for 2 weeks in tornado ally now that's was winding and raining hailstones the size of cricket balls.

check this out and check date.lol https://www.facebook...150296700534349

Edited by doingok

well to a newbie to this island i have to say coming from the north-east of England the weather is fine do you not think us Brits morn to much, i lived in Florida for a year and a half and the rain and thunder and lighting are nothing compared to this.Even did a storm chase for 2 weeks in tornado ally now that's was winding and raining hailstones the size of cricket balls.

check this out and check date.lol https://www.facebook...150296700534349

Aha now there is someone to blame when the rain Gods get angry.....you dare to mock Samui eh? Oh dear......rolleyes.gif

The Northeast monsoon IS upon us.

Really? I heard we have blue sky and sunshine at the weekend.

As long its not -15 and 3 to 4 feet of snow for around 6 to 8 weeks like it was last year in newcastle.

As long its not -15 and 3 to 4 feet of snow for around 6 to 8 weeks like it was last year in newcastle.

Totally agree. Can't stand the cold! But were you on Samui already during this year's March/April? flooding, when we had 1000 mm!!!! of rain in just 2 days. I do hope that we do not get something like that again.

think -15 outside and 3-4 feet snow outside a bit differnt to 3 metres of dirty stinking water inside the house a bit differnt even for a brit from the North East.

think -15 outside and 3-4 feet snow outside a bit differnt to 3 metres of dirty stinking water inside the house a bit differnt even for a brit from the North East.

The house we are renting is about 20 to 30 feet above street level so we should be ok

i think you are talking nonsense.

One thrd of thailand is under water ..FACT.

Samui has a couple of bad days of rain, and its called monsoon.Rubbish

I agree with carmine, samui might miss it this year because the rest of thailand, is getting too much.

The Farangs here are starting to behave like the thais, i go to makro every day,and what do i see . I see Farangs stocking up on water, i know some of these people and i like them dont have a bar, but i see them getting 40, or 50 cases of water, and when i asked this person why ,they have so much, they said in case it runs out.

Well done. it has run out, you win,

If everyone just bought what they wanted ,we wouldnt run out.

Many people on thai visa moan about the thai people and there ways, well i,ve seen it for myself the farangs are worse.

I am glad i.m not living in the flood areas with the farangs that live here

I agree with carmine, samui might miss it this year because the rest of thailand, is getting too much.

The Farangs here are starting to behave like the thais, i go to makro every day,and what do i see . I see Farangs stocking up on water, i know some of these people and i like them dont have a bar, but i see them getting 40, or 50 cases of water, and when i asked this person why ,they have so much, they said in case it runs out.

Many people on thai visa moan about the thai people and there ways, well i,ve seen it for myself the farangs are worse.

[/quote)

i agree panic buys makes running out of water worse,thats what i was saying

I am in agreement with most of the post - but I am confused about one thing. (Only one you say?)

I thought that "monsoon season" was a time of year. (Like autumn or spring back in Europe.) The winter "monsoon season" starts when the winds move round to the NE.

"Monsoon seasons" can be wet or dry, windy or still - we have seen them all on Samui. USUALLY they are wet and windy, but other options have happened. So, as the wind has moved round - I was of the opinion that we are in the winter monsoon. However, it has not been that wet yet. But we have had rain most days since the wind has changed.

Are you saying that it is only "monsoon season" if it pixxes down with rain solid for six weeks? Or is it a seasonal thing? :unsure:

e correc

I am in agreement with most of the post - but I am confused about one thing. (Only one you say?)

I thought that "monsoon season" was a time of year. (Like autumn or spring back in Europe.) The winter "monsoon season" starts when the winds move round to the NE.

"Monsoon seasons" can be wet or dry, windy or still - we have seen them all on Samui. USUALLY they are wet and windy, but other options have happened. So, as the wind has moved round - I was of the opinion that we are in the winter monsoon. However, it has not been that wet yet. But we have had rain most days since the wind has changed.

Are you saying that it is only "monsoon season" if it pixxes down with rain solid for six weeks? Or is it a seasonal thing? :unsure:

Tropicalevo you are correct, there are 2 monsoon seasons which effect the weather in Samui, the southwest monsoon which usually runs form around May to October and then the northeast monsoon which runs from around October to april/may. It is the northeast monsoon which usually supplies the wet weather to samui and it is this monsoon we are entering now. We always have a monsoon weather system here, sometimes its a wet one sometimes its a dry one. What we don't know yet is just how wet its going to be!