Maps Google

JAS21

On my friends computer, he is using Win7 Pro, when he uses maps.google and looks at Thailand the names come up in Thai. Whereas on my computer, again using Win7 Pro the names come up in English.

Can anyone advise how to sort please.

It depends on several factors, namely the default language set in the browser as well as whether you're connected or not to a google account (for example your gmail is opened) it would then use the language set with your account.

Thanks Guys

I have just checked...

gmail comes up in English.

Maps.google.com comes up in English. It defaults to US area...dragging across the world all names are in English, including India, Laos, Burma and Cambodia. China seems to have both Chinese and English....Thailand just has Thai!

On my computer it makes no difference whether google.co.th is set to English or Thai...maps.google always shows Thailand names in English

Any more ideas please.

Quote from "Google Maps Help":

Can I view Google Maps in a different language?

Google Maps automatically displays place names in the local language of each country. While it's not possible to change the language of the place names, you can search for some major cities and locations in a number of different languages. For example, a search for [ München ] and a search for [ Munich ] will both bring you to the same location labeled in the local language. If there is more than one official language for a country, the option to change the language will appear in left-hand panel of the map display. You can view this map display in the following languages:

However, there are various Google Map API's available which could be used for changing languages, maybe your friend has some of them installed (or you have and he does not).

When I go to Google Maps (no matter whether .ch or .co.uk) and search for i.e. Pattaya, then most things I see are in Thai language. But the more I zoom into the city, the more English written details come to view and finally on detail level, most street names are available in both English and Thai language

Thanks Guys

I have just checked...

gmail comes up in English.

Maps.google.com comes up in English. It defaults to US area...dragging across the world all names are in English, including India, Laos, Burma and Cambodia. China seems to have both Chinese and English....Thailand just has Thai!

On my computer it makes no difference whether google.co.th is set to English or Thai...maps.google always shows Thailand names in English

Any more ideas please.

Do you have your browser set to allow cookies?

What browser are you using?

I'm using Firefox 7.0.1, I have cookies enabled and when I go to maps.google.co.th and select English (on the left panel). Everything switches to English. It also works in Internet Explorer 9 as well.

If you are using Firefox or Internet Explorer, and you have a problem, try deleting the cookies for Google.

Edited by BB1950