Que Pasa Mexican Restaurant

JoeInSurin

The website worked fine for me but I am currently in farangland. It is kind of a crazy menu trying to be everything to everybody, Mexican + Italian + Pizza + Steak + Pancakes/Waffles + Thai and throw in vegetarian selections. How could any restaurant make so many different things good? It being in Nontaburi I would probably never go anyway but I would be suspicious of any place with no direction or confidence in what it says it is.

The menu is amusing...so long its crazy. They should trim it to a third of the size and concentrate on doing that well imo.

Yet just maybe the place is amazing...and loved by its local clientele who don't want us all descending and raising the cheap prices....

Another doubter I'm afraid.

Web site works perfect and fast for me. Sounds like the slow web site problem is on your end.

True, but the website problem is related to the failure of the proprietor to understand that the internet in Thailand is not the same as the internet if developed countries. It is a very poor design for this part of the world, making it anything but user friendlty. I also agree with one poster who pointed out the complicated menu and associated attempt to give customers everything, including some Mexican food. That rings an alarm bell that says "we are not sure about what we want to do." Having said that, I have not eaten there and apparently nobody else has. It would be nice to get some feedback from people who have tried the Mexican food.

Web site works perfect and fast for me. Sounds like the slow web site problem is on your end.

True, but the website problem is related to the failure of the proprietor to understand that the internet in Thailand is not the same as the internet if developed countries. It is a very poor design for this part of the world, making it anything but user friendlty. I also agree with one poster who pointed out the complicated menu and associated attempt to give customers everything, including some Mexican food. That rings an alarm bell that says "we are not sure about what we want to do." Having said that, I have not eaten there and apparently nobody else has. It would be nice to get some feedback from people who have tried the Mexican food.

The website works fine for me too. I am located in Rayong(Thailand) Loads fast, including the menu. Looks like it is worth a try once the water subsides. Having Thai food as well as Mexican /Western is a plus for my family.

I've eaten there many times and, in my opinion, the food is great (based on many years of indulgence in good Tex-Mex food in Houston & San Antonio) and the quality consistent.

In simple terms, its worth a visit even if that includes driving across Bangkok like we have to.

It's right off of Tiawanon road. from the KaeRai intersection (tiawanon and ratanatibet) head towards changwatana. turn right on Soi samakke go approx 1 kilometer and turn left at the 7-11 (big sign visible for the moobahn its in just before 7-11) follow the road as it bends right continue following the road past the subway shop, it will bend right. go approx. 200 meters its on the left.

Hope that helps

Greg

Edited by griser

Griser, I don't understand why you said the place is expensive. I checked the menu and it seems very reasonable, especially compared the the other Mexican restaurants in BKK. Maybe it is more then the 30 baht for noodle soup that you would have to be comparing it to. So when you say the food is terrible you lost credibility and are probably a troll. Or maybe your the Greg from sunrise taco. I do agree that there menu is to extensive, but if they can product good tasting food, my hat is off to them. If I'm in the area I will give it a try.

Griser, I don't understand why you said the place is expensive. I checked the menu and it seems very reasonable, especially compared the the other Mexican restaurants in BKK. Maybe it is more then the 30 baht for noodle soup that you would have to be comparing it to. So when you say the food is terrible you lost credibility and are probably a troll. Or maybe your the Greg from sunrise taco. I do agree that there menu is to extensive, but if they can product good tasting food, my hat is off to them. If I'm in the area I will give it a try.

You didn't see my :whistling: ? I was trying to convey the exact opposite. The food IS good and is reasonable. I don't want the place to get overcrowded with folks from Bangkok. hehe.

• 1 month later...

The prices are some of the cheapest around but sorry to say the Mexican is IMOP the worst I've had in BKK. I had a chimichanga and the sauce was sour cream, diced tomatoes and ketchup!

The filling was chicken and cheese with nothing added for flavor, no seasonings, cilantro, or onions. I've tried the tacos and enchiladas, chips and salsa and guacamole and everything pretty much has the same theme - bland. The owner seems to be trying to make a one stop shop for American cuisine to cater to the local university. They have a big menu and the food tastes pretty generic like something you would find at a Denny's or Applebees. On a positive note the owner is a good guy and the place has a very good atmosphere and makes a fun place to hang out and have a beer but if you're foodie like I am and are picky about your Mexican food I would stick to the La Monitas, Coyote, and Sunrise.

• 4 months later...

Ate lunch there today - place was FULL. Consistently good food, good variety. People from Texas might not be impressed, but I'll bet they will at least approve. Saw a mean-looking hamburger pass by, as well as some waffles, so they have variety to please.

Service was reasonably fast, considering the place was packed with big parties, and lots of kids. The local farangs seem to show up in golf carts, and seem to be regulars. The owner has carved himself a nice niche in an otherwise out-of-the-way area.

BBQ King is right around the corner, and I've been meaning to try one of their sandwiches forever. Que Pasa just kind of lures me past it...

GPS coordinates: N13.88779 E100.52438. Type these into Google Map, if you are GPS-challenged.

• 3 weeks later...

Que Pasa has been a staple for the International School Bangkok community for at least the last 10 years, even after going through a number of relocations and owner disputes. More so than staple, but tradition. If its anything like it used to be the place would be packed every Friday and Sunday and be busy the rest of the week.

The food in my opinion isn't the best Mexican grub in the world, but it's definitely one of the top comfort food retreats. The portions are massive, the tastes relatively simple, and that's what makes them so worthwhile. You go there just to gorge on meat and cheese.

• Like 2

Que Pasa has been a staple for the International School Bangkok community for at least the last 10 years, even after going through a number of relocations and owner disputes. More so than staple, but tradition. If its anything like it used to be the place would be packed every Friday and Sunday and be busy the rest of the week.

The food in my opinion isn't the best Mexican grub in the world, but it's definitely one of the top comfort food retreats. The portions are massive, the tastes relatively simple, and that's what makes them so worthwhile. You go there just to gorge on meat and cheese.

Thanks for this. I was considering a visit but...I am more of a La Monita fan....I want quality...not quantity.

Thanks for this. I was considering a visit but...I am more of a La Monita fan....I want quality...not quantity.

Sometimes an ungodly amount of moo cow and fermented moo cow juice is quality, especially in a place like Thailand.

• 5 months later...

I think Que Pasa is the best Mexican restaurant south of Chiang Mai. The salsa (complementary) is a work of art. Homemade chips. All the Mexican staples including awesome chimichangas and enchiladas. Their other western food is great too, especially lasange and steak and cheese subs. I take a taxi there every weekend, which runs about 130 baht from Mo Chit station. Even when you add the taxi fare to the food bill, it's still much cheaper than the Mexican spots in Sukhumvit, and well worth the trip. The big strong margaritas are a bonus, too.

When you talk about the best Mexican restaurant south of Chiang Mai, are you saying that Miguel's Mexican in Chiang Mai is the best in the country? Miguels is the best that I have tried, but there are several newer Mexican places in Bangkok that get rave reviews that I have never been to (La Monita and Salsa and.. something). Is Que Pasa better than these places?

• 2 weeks later...

I was given some salsa and chips as a gift from someone who lives in Nitchada Thani, near Que Pasa, because they know how much I miss mexican food (both tex-mex and taqueria). No joke, the best homemade salsa and chips. The salsa was super fresh when I got it and stayed that way for the next couple days and was real "pico de gallo" style. The chips (i got a huge bag) lasted for another week and were still delicious, perfectly crunchy with the right amount of salt.

I told them how much I loved it and the next time they saw me they brought chips, salsa, and GUACAMOLE. Again, no joke, the guacamole was the best ive had in bangkok, even trumping La Monita. chunky, with the perfect amount of lemon, cilantro....just tasted homemade.

So that is the extent of my que pasa experience. I plan on making a trip out there soon, just haven't had the time yet.