Price Gouging During Flooding

scotbeve

Dear all,

It has come to my attention - as I'm sure all of yours as well - that all the empty shelves in supermarkets, produce markets, and general consumer stores have been emptied by SOME unscrupulous people intending to make BIG profits on goods that will be hard to get soon.

3 days ago, we went into a Kubota center to purchase some spare parts for our rice harvesters. The service people know us quite well and all other customers as well, a friendly lot! Well, they proceeded to tell my wife that some people came in with several pick up trucks and bought out the stock. My brother-in-law was contacted later on by someone on the phone saying that he has spares that he could sell to my bil BUT for a higher price!!!

Has anyone heard of a hotline number to call and complain for the price-gougers? And wasn't it very recently that a certain ministry announced that there were to be no price increases for goods?

Happening at all levels, of course. Price of water as sold on the street last night: 40b for a small bottle.

Report them? What do you want to bet that the 'cops' are *running* them? Even if they aren't, you'd have to expect the 'police' to 'care'. People in Bangkok know they can't do their 'jobs'.

Happy to inform that here where we are flooded no price gauging is going on. In the days before the flooding really got hard i did pay extra (not being forced but out of the goodness of my heart) to the lady where i always eat. She had gone through a lot of extra trouble to get the food.

Now when the flood hits hard there is no price gauging, actually free food is being brought to us at times.

Real decent here.

There's only one shop I've found in all of Pattaya/Jomtien that has Chang soda water, they're selling them for 12 baht for a small bottle that 7-11 sells for 7 baht (when they have them). I would complain if I thought it would do any good. :-(

Some taxis also cashing in on the situation esp. people using them to exit Bangkok.

My niece had to pay 4,500 baht for what would normally have been a 1,500 trip. Maybe a few hundred extra can be justified by need for some detours but rest was pure opportunism.

Anyone ever hear that you can't legislate morality? Especially if the legislation isn't enforced.

When a country is in crisis, the lowest common denominators of the moral fabric seem to take center stage. Happens everywhere. whistling.gif

Happy to inform that here where we are flooded no price gauging is going on. In the days before the flooding really got hard i did pay extra (not being forced but out of the goodness of my heart) to the lady where i always eat. She had gone through a lot of extra trouble to get the food.

Now when the flood hits hard there is no price gauging, actually free food is being brought to us at times.

Real decent here.

I'm really glad to hear this!! This is the cooperation some of us know that the Thais have and accomplish!