Aeon Atm In Ubon

bergen

Since AEON is not a bank they have never charged the 150 THB fee for foreign ATM cards

Hopefully your bank back home doesn't charge a foreign currency exchange fee

But valuable info for some who may not be aware? :D

Bergen,

That is great news. It would be nice not to have to contribute every time I withdraw funds, especially since i do so on both ends. Do they have a withdrawal cap? I will check it out next time. Thanks for the input.

The withdrawal cap is set by your own home bank, AEON ATM's will give you a maximum of 40,000 THB at a time, if your home bank allows that much

Same rate as other ATMs for VISA.

Exchange rate for VISA debit cards can be found here (from 11:00h Thai time for the current day).

http://corporate.visa.com/pd/consumer_services/consumer_ex_rates.jsp

The "percentage" depends on your issuing bank (from 0 to ?).

AEON ATMs will spit 100'000 Baht if your card allows (I took 80'000 in Khon Kaen last saturday).

What rate did you get? If it is less than other banks it's not worth finding one of their ATM's.

At the risk of getting our resident google expert from the Finance sub section interjecting,, but on two separate weekends when rates have been locked down and the same piece of plastic used but I was to receive a higher true cost using AEON.

Yes of course they dont charge the 150 baht, but I dont care what anybody links in a response, but you get a lower rate. Try it yourself when rates are locked but you MUST use the same piece of plastic which allevaites any discussion re bank charges from home.

I am not linking/googling.

What kind of "plastic" did you use?

I have multiple years of experience with two different kinds of german VISA debit cards (Postbank Sparcard, DKB Visa both with internet banking).

Postbank Sparcard is charged instantly after the withdraw with the rate as shown in the website (0% fee in this case).

After withdraw I go to the Postbank website to check and compare.

DKB VISA is not charged instantaneously but sometimes one or two days later with the risk that the rate has changed.

So your "rate fixed" scenario is weird.

The rate is the same at all ATMs for VISA debit (and only that is what I am writing about).

Edited by KhunBENQ

What rate did you get? If it is less than other banks it's not worth finding one of their ATM's.

At the risk of getting our resident google expert from the Finance sub section interjecting,, but on two separate weekends when rates have been locked down and the same piece of plastic used but I was to receive a higher true cost using AEON.

Yes of course they dont charge the 150 baht, but I dont care what anybody links in a response, but you get a lower rate. Try it yourself when rates are locked but you MUST use the same piece of plastic which allevaites any discussion re bank charges from home.

Here we go again, the only person on Thai Visa that has ever reported lower rates on AEON ATM's. Chivas is your AEON ATM still charging you 150 THB for using a foreign ATM card ? (the only one in all of Thailand) :bah:

Here we go again, the only person on Thai Visa that has ever reported lower rates on AEON ATM's. Chivas is your AEON ATM still charging you 150 THB for using a foreign ATM card ? (the only one in all of Thailand) :bah:

You could of course do exactly what I suggest and try it for yourself.

From memory plus or minus one its now 12 people I have received PM's from exclaiming the same probably all of whom are afraid of ridicule-unfortunately I couldn't give a shit, but not one of you will dare stand with me in front of an Aeon. For your information as you dont expand we had an AEON atm in Buriram charging 150 baht fee as well for I believe 2 months before removed.

Edited by Chivas

You could of course do exactly what I suggest and try it for yourself.

From memory plus or minus one its now 12 people I have received PM's from exclaiming the same probably all of whom are afraid of ridicule-unfortunately I couldn't give a shit, but not one of you will dare stand with me in front of an Aeon. For your information as you dont expand we had an AEON atm in Buriram charging 150 baht fee as well for I believe 2 months before removed.

Oh, you mean the one we repeatably asked for a picture of, that was never forthcoming

And please don't embarrass the other residents of Burriram with the WE, YOU had an AEON ATM that was charging 150 Baht fee

• 4 weeks later...

I used the AEON ATM and at the machine there was no alert regarding a 150 Baht fee and asking if I want to proceed. However looking at my bank statement there was a charge for non-bank card withdrawal. So it seems they do charge just don't let you know up front.

That's probably on your bank's end, not AEON's.

I used the AEON ATM and at the machine there was no alert regarding a 150 Baht fee and asking if I want to proceed. However looking at my bank statement there was a charge for non-bank card withdrawal. So it seems they do charge just don't let you know up front.

Chivas, quite funny to see that you are slamming AEON ATMs in this forum as well. Man what has AEON done to you to deserve this? :o

So if I read you correctly, you're here stating that AOEN will give a lesser exchange rate than, some other banks ATM on a weekend?

I had to go through my online statement a few months back before I could find any AEON withdrawals over a weekend.

Here are two that occurred in July this year. As there are no other fees, (since I used an AEON ATM). The rate can easily be calculated.

Each pull was for 15K Baht.

post-70239-0-69789400-1321981417_thumb.j

My withdrawals and the VISA exchange rate are exactly the same.

If you do the math, you should come up with the same result.

Reciprocals in parentheses, as that's what you will see, if you check the exchange rate on VISAs site.

July 30: 29.64 (0.033737)

July 16: 30.05 (0.033277)

Conclusion, AEON provided me with the best possible exchange rate.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Chivas, quite funny to see that you are slamming AEON ATMs in this forum as well. Man what has AEON done to you to deserve this? ohmy.gif

So if I read you correctly, you're here stating that AOEN will give a lesser exchange rate than, some other banks ATM on a weekend?

I had to go through my online statement a few months back before I could find any AEON withdrawals over a weekend.

Here are two that occurred in July this year. As there are no other fees, (since I used an AEON ATM). The rate can easily be calculated.

Reciprocals in parentheses, as that's what you will see, if you check the exchange rate on VISAs site.

Why use an ATM withdrawal from a home country bank if you live here?

Transferring money to a local bank account and specifying baht to your home country bank gets you a better sight TT rate and provided you are doing this is reasonable sized transfers - say 50,000 baht plus, the sending and receiving bank charges (usually fixed or capped) will not eradicate that advantage. For instance if you had a local Bangkok bank account their sight TT rate on 30 July 2011 (actually their rate on the 29th would have applied since 30th was a Saturday) was 30.48, 2.8% better than the Aeon rate quoted. [July 16th was 30.48 at BKK Bank].

Yeah yeah I know - whenever the subject turns to exchange rate there's always some clever-dick like me that comes along (even 18 months later!) and thinks he knows betterlaugh.png

The rate is not Aeon but the Visa or MasterCard rate for the time you pull funds when using a foreign card. You get the same rate in any ATM when pulling Baht (unless you accept Dynamic Currency Conversion that a few banks offer - don't). And normally Visa is a bit better than MasterCard in this regard. But there is no 150 or other fee at the Thai end in such transactions using Aeon. I suspect there profit is a cut in the exchange rate profit taken by the card company. What will be negatives are foreign transaction fees of your home back and any non-bank ATM usage fee they might have.

Chivas, quite funny to see that you are slamming AEON ATMs in this forum as well. Man what has AEON done to you to deserve this? ohmy.gif

Why use an ATM withdrawal from a home country bank if you live here?

Transferring money to a local bank account and specifying baht to your home country bank gets you a better sight TT rate and provided you are doing this is reasonable sized transfers - say 50,000 baht plus, the sending and receiving bank charges (usually fixed or capped) will not eradicate that advantage. For instance if you had a local Bangkok bank account their sight TT rate on 30 July 2011 (actually their rate on the 29th would have applied since 30th was a Saturday) was 30.48, 2.8% better than the Aeon rate quoted. [July 16th was 30.48 at BKK Bank].

Yeah yeah I know - whenever the subject turns to exchange rate there's always some clever-dick like me that comes along (even 18 months later!) and thinks he knows betterlaugh.png

To answer your question. I use the ATM due to getting a better exchange rate than any other option available.

The TT rates you post are totally wrong, they are actually yesterday’s exchange rate.rolleyes.gif

Here are the proper TT rates for Bangkok Bank on the days closest to my withdrawals, (as both were done on weekends and they don’t post weekend rates).

July 29, 2011 29.62 August 1, 2011 29.60

July 14, 2011 29.96 July 18, 2011 30.01

So as you can see, the TT rate is not as good as the VISA exchange rate.

I do have my account set up to do transfers to Bangkok Bank, NY. Sometimes when it’s more convenient, I do use this route. I could go on and post the exact numbers for some of those transfers as well, but on an average, I loose and additional 500 Baht on a 100K transfer and 700 Baht on a 150K transfer, due to the transfer fees. It’s not much, but still dilutes the TT exchange rate even more.

If you want to be a clever-dick, you should do some better research before putting it in print. laugh.png