Bangkok In 'Crisis Mode' As Floods Advance

Lite Beer

Bangkok in 'crisis mode' as floods advance

by Anusak Konglang

BANGKOK, October 25, 2011 (AFP) - Bangkok's second airport shut down Tuesday as floodwaters advanced into the Thai capital, forcing authorities in "crisis mode" to declare a five-day public holiday in preparation for the deluge.

The cabinet ordered an October 27-31 holiday for Bangkok and 20 other provinces affected by the kingdom's worst flooding in decades, amid warnings a high tide would surge up the capital's main river and escalate the disaster.

"The government has switched to a crisis mode as a massive run-off will arrive in the capital on October 26, coinciding with a high tide on October 28," the Flood Relief Operations Centre (FROC) said in a statement.

In a televised address to the kingdom late Tuesday, Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra gave a stark prediction of the potential impact of the flooding, saying the water was "at full force, which is more than the barriers can hold".

She said it was "highly likely" that all of Bangkok, including the inner zone, would flood, with a "worst case scenario" seeing water levels of up to 1.5 metres in some parts.

Her cabinet decided on the extra-long weekend at a meeting in Don Mueang airport in the city's north, which handles domestic flights and has also been doubling as an evacuee shelter and a headquarters for flood relief operations.

But as the waters that have already flooded several northern and eastern districts of Bangkok closed in, airport officials announced the two runways will shut until November 1.

"Because a lot of water is creeping into the northern premises of the airport, it could cause planes to slide on the runways," Airports of Thailand said.

About 100 domestic flights normally operate from the airport each day.

Yingluck, who is facing her first major crisis since coming to power in August, said before the cabinet meeting that the evacuees sheltering there would also have to relocate.

The public holidays are designed to allow Bangkok's 12 million residents to brace for the floods now creeping towards the city centre after swamping other parts of the nation, killing some 360 people and damaging millions of homes.

"The public and private sectors have been urged to allow their flood-hit staff some time off, so that they would have a chance to look after their property and protect their homes," said the FROC statement.

Schools and government offices will be closed, but the central bank said financial markets would not shut down.

Bangkok governor Sukhumbhand Paribatra also made a televised address Tuesday warning residents along the Chao Phraya river in the capital to be on "full alert" after the waterway reached record highs of of 2.30 metres on Monday.

"If the situation continues in these circumstances, the water level this weekend will hit 2.60 metres, while our average flood embankment is 2.50 metres high," he said.

In the city centre, residents were lining up to buy bottled water directly from trucks resupplying shops, after days of panic-buying emptied supermarket shelves.

Information about the floods has often been inconsistent, with politically inexperienced Yingluck apparently at odds with Bangkok's local administration, run by a rival party, and rumours of tensions with the army.

A defence official in Washington said the US navy had withdrawn several ships, including aircraft carriers, sent to help with relief efforts in Thailand after receiving "mixed" messages from the Bangkok government.

"There were two channels (in the Thai government)," the defence official told AFP. "One was saying 'Yes' and one was saying 'No.'"

But Thailand's defence minister, General Yutthasak Sasiprapa, indicated that authorities felt they were able to handle the situation themselves.

"We have not denied their assistance, but we have our own aircraft so we would rather use ours," he told reporters, adding however that he was unclear over the details of the US offer and needed to check with the air force chief.

A spokesman from the US embassy in Bangkok said one ship from the US group had docked in Thailand on October 20 and its helicopters had since been on missions coordinated with the Thai army and other US agencies.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2011-10-25

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've never had to delete all responses to a topic and suspend 2/3 of it's participants before but I guess there's always a first time.

I don't care what country you're from but childish insults against other people's home countries are not welcome here, and everyone being part of it will find themselves removed from the conversation.

Now will some sensible grown ups kindly restart the topic discussion?

It's going from bad to worse and probably much worse. Plus the closing of don mueang is likely to be reported world wide as Bangkok airport awash and shut. Tourist numbers are about to take a big hit

Most people do not know there are 2 airports in BKK.

I got told last night that the BKK airport had been closed due to flooding. Bit of a worry as I am due to fly in this morning.

A quick checkon Thai Visa assured me that it was Dom Muang that was closed not swampy. (Breathes a huge sigh of releif)

It's going from bad to worse and probably much worse. Plus the closing of don mueang is likely to be reported world wide as Bangkok airport awash and shut. Tourist numbers are about to take a big hit

The AP article made it clear that it was a secondary airport

"A spokesman from the US embassy in Bangkok said one ship from the US group had docked in Thailand on October 20 and its helicopters had since been on missions coordinated with the Thai army and other US agencies"

that's the news, different as reported yesterday

Have the Thai navy taken possesion of their antique submarines yet? ,,,, it might be a good time to test them out if they have ,,, having said that ,, our sympathy goes to all those that are seriously affected by these floods ,,

l will see what its like when l get there tomorrow :unsure:

good luck

No, it says the second airport in Bangkok has been closed as in "an airport had already been closed and now so is the second one".

And of course the headline will confuse people, even @Chang_paarp who said "most people know there are two airports" was himself confused and wrong as he believed it meant swampy.

No, it says the second airport in Bangkok has been closed as in "an airport had already been closed and now so is the second one".

And of course the headline will confuse people, even @Chang_paarp who said "most people know there are two airports" was himself confused and wrong as he believed it meant swampy.

I agree. The first story I read about this made it sound as if both airports were closed.

As I don’t have a Twitter (no interest, but an excellent tool in this situation) it would be great to have replies from long term residents of Bangkok as to what they anticipate will eventuate over the coming weeks based on their knowledge of previous flood events.

I’m due to fly in to Bangkok in a weeks time. For me … not a problem, I have friends to stay with outside of Bangkok.

But I am bringing my Sister, first time traveller to Thailand.

Essentially a holiday under the guise of getting some dental work done and I’d dearly love her to have a warm appreciation of the Thai Culture that I have formed over the many years and many visits.

In a nut shell, we are in Bangkok for a week then up to Chiang Mai for Loy Krathong then back to Bangkok.

Currently considering delaying the flight for a week and arriving the day before Loy Krathong if this might help the situation to be faced in Bangkok. Assuming that the water level may have dropped and Supermarket shelves partially replenished and closer to what is called 'normal' in Bangkok :rolleyes:

Thoughts on where Bangkok will be as an assessable City for Tourists.

Oh … my sister’s not a newbie to travel. She replied my email that in Thailand she will be able to skite that she cared and washed an elephant, walked with the Tigers and swam with the crocodiles!

"But Thailand's defence minister, General Yutthasak Sasiprapa, indicated that authorities felt they were able to handle the situation themselves."

Now how did they come to that conclusion. They don't even know how bad it is.

How many people have to die or lose all they have before this government says all help appreciated.

They are on a par with the Burmese government in there flood several years ago.

I've never had to delete all responses to a topic and suspend 2/3 of it's participants before but I guess there's always a first time.

I don't care what country you're from but childish insults against other people's home countries are not welcome here, and everyone being part of it will find themselves removed from the conversation.

How is this a surprise on Thai Visa?

Every thread descends into some pissing match between sad old men with too much time on their hands. Posting 50 times a day??!! Get outside, meet people. Going on about PT vs Dem? Most of you are not Thai so your opinion means nothing.

Its a shame really, 5 years ago this site was like a community, now its just a very bitter place.

Go to Twitter and search #thaifloodeng This community is full of people passing on accurate information,has positive people, news agencies providing updates, charities asking for support - in short just he sort of stuff that is needed at this time.

Hi there Swindon … I agree with the sentiment of what you write … but remember our Culture was based on free speech etc (and no, I'm not a Yank).

As I don't have a Twitter (no interest, but an excellent tool in this situation) it would be great to have replies from long term residents of Bangkok as to what they anticipate will eventuate over the coming weeks based on their knowledge of previous flood events.

I'm due to fly in to Bangkok in a weeks time. For me … not a problem, I have friends to stay with outside of Bangkok.

Essentially a holiday under the guise of getting some dental work done and I'd dearly love her to have a warm appreciation of the Thai Culture that I have formed over the many years and many visits.

In a nut shell, we are in Bangkok for a week then up to Chiang Mai for Loy Krathong then back to Bangkok.

Currently considering delaying the flight for a week and arriving the day before Loy Krathong if this might help the situation to be faced in Bangkok. Assuming that the water level may have dropped and Supermarket shelves partially replenished and closer to what is called 'normal' in Bangkok :rolleyes:

Oh … my sister's not a newbie to travel. She replied my email that in Thailand she will be able to skite that she cared and washed an elephant, walked with the Tigers and swam with the crocodiles!

Has she enjoyed the pleasures of Jet-Skiing yet??

Why is this website constantly censoring peoples thoughts and feelings? Let people speak their dame minds.

Ive been shout out for my opinions and its ridiculous. you guys who run this site need to lighten up and stop acting like Communist china. It pisses me off.

Additionally, there is Forum Rule #21

21) Not to discuss moderation publicly in the open forum; this includes individual actions, and specific or general policies and issues. You may send a PM to a moderator to discuss individual actions or email support (at) thaivisa.com to discuss moderation policy

Supposed to flighting to HK on Monday, wonder if the airport will still be going :/

I too wonder not just about the airport but the surrounding area, especially since I live in this area. The airport was apparently built to withstand flooding but I don't think anyone was prepared for the kind of flooding we're getting now (worst in over 50 yrs.) It looks like we'll have to wait and see on the high water mark. Good luck to all in the area. Hopefully our homes are somewhat above the high water mark...obviously this is a last warning to be prepared in case that isn't true.

I’m due to fly in to Bangkok in a weeks time. For me … not a problem, I have friends to stay with outside of Bangkok.

Essentially a holiday under the guise of getting some dental work done and I’d dearly love her to have a warm appreciation of the Thai Culture that I have formed over the many years and many visits.

Oh … my sister’s not a newbie to travel. She replied my email that in Thailand she will be able to skite that she cared and washed an elephant, walked with the Tigers and swam with the crocodiles!

At this time you should wait until mid November and reassess the situation. This is not something anyone on this forum has any experience with. This flooding is more than any in at least 50 years, and I am quite sure none of us have lived here that long. It seems to me you are approaching this situation with a bit of a flippant attitude. This is no joke, the entire city is likely to flood, people will be without food, water, electricity and so on. Very likely the situation will be grave for many.

"We have not denied their assistance, but we have our own aircraft so we would rather use ours," Do he know that this so called aircraft carrier is no comparison to what the US carrier and support ships has to offer.

In times like this when millions of people are suffering except all the help you can get no matter who offers.

I remember my students in my social studies class here in Ratchaburi last year laughing when we were discussing the Haiti earthquake. I wonder what they're thinking now.

Gloating over the prospect that your former students are now getting their "comeuppance" with this flood demonstrates why you do not belong in the teaching profession. I hope you're no longer in that school. Being vengeful and wishing harm on schoolchildren? Yours takes the prize for the most wicked post I've yet seen on this board.

I remember my students in my social studies class here in Ratchaburi last year laughing when we were discussing the Haiti earthquake. I wonder what they're thinking now.

Gloating over the prospect that your former students are now getting their "comeuppance" with this flood demonstrates why you do not belong in the teaching profession. I hope you're no longer in that school. Being vengeful and wishing harm on schoolchildren? Yours takes the prize for the most wicked post I've yet seen on this board.

Hold on a bit, I dont read goldcountry's post like that. It seems to me he is simply pointing out that kids that were laughing over someone else's plight may just start to understand that it can happen to anyone, it might make them a bit more sympathetic. I don't see anywhere that he is being vengeful and wishing harm on schoolchildren, quite the contrary.

As I don’t have a Twitter (no interest, but an excellent tool in this situation) it would be great to have replies from long term residents of Bangkok as to what they anticipate will eventuate over the coming weeks based on their knowledge of previous flood events.

She may be able to walk with tigers in Bangkok. Three tigers that had been kept illegally as household pets were "arrested" in the Bangkok suburb of Bang Bua Thong which under a metre plus of water. As well as swimming with the crocs in Bangkok, she may also get the opportunity to swim with a variety of poisonous snakes and pythons that, like the human population, are heading for drier ground and now is their mating season which tends to make them more aggressive.

Even our fashion conscious first female PM has virtually admitted she has no idea what Bangkok will look like on Monday but she estimated it will be under between 10 and 150 cm of water. So take your pick depending on whether you see the city as half full or half empty but bring your life vests.

Edited by Arkady

Hold on a bit, I dont read goldcountry's post like that. It seems to me he is simply pointing out that kids that were laughing over someone else's plight may just start to understand that it can happen to anyone, it might make them a bit more sympathetic. I don't see anywhere that he is being vengeful and wishing harm on schoolchildren, quite the contrary.

Totally agree, no impression of gloating at all - go look for your fight some place else.

Re situation, looks very dire - good luck everyone. Don't take any risks you don't need to.

As I don't have a Twitter (no interest, but an excellent tool in this situation) it would be great to have replies from long term residents of Bangkok as to what they anticipate will eventuate over the coming weeks based on their knowledge of previous flood events.

I'm due to fly in to Bangkok in a weeks time. For me … not a problem, I have friends to stay with outside of Bangkok.

Essentially a holiday under the guise of getting some dental work done and I'd dearly love her to have a warm appreciation of the Thai Culture that I have formed over the many years and many visits.

Oh … my sister's not a newbie to travel. She replied my email that in Thailand she will be able to skite that she cared and washed an elephant, walked with the Tigers and swam with the crocodiles!

She may be able to walk with tigers in Bangkok. Three tigers that had been kept illegally as household pets were "arrested" in the Bangkok suburb of Bang Bua Thong which under a metre plus of water. As well as swimming with the crocs in Bangkok, she may also get the opportunity to swim with a variety of poisonous snakes and pythons that, like the human population, are heading for drier ground and now is their mating season which tends to make them more aggressive.

Even our fashion conscious first female PM has virtually admitted she has no idea what Bangkok will look like on Monday but she estimated it will be under between 10 and 150 cm of water. So take your pick depending on whether you see the city as half full or half empty but bring your life vests.

Thanks Arkady, I hadn't heard the '3 Tiger' story.

Maybe not life vests, but what about this idea?

http://www.abc.net.a...4x3-940x705.jpg

And is we get hungry there is all that dynamtic spirit of the street food seller!

http://www.abc.net.a...4x3-940x705.jpg

I just hope that when this is over the spirit of the people that cleaned up Bangkok (Reds and Yellows ... but mostly the 'no shirt' colours) after the protests were disbanded last year prevails.

Keep those travel advices :coffee1: coming please :jap:

(Acknowledge for photos to http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-10-05/floods-in-thailand/3299638 )

Edited by David48