Even This National Disaster Is Being Used As A Political Weapon: Thai Opinion

webfact

Except that when PT were in Opposition, their leading politicians were endlessly ridiculed for all kinds of actions, both real and alleged, on this forum by the usual suspects. So let's carry on ignoring that tiny little nuance in the name of consistency and carry on flagging up the real and alleged shortfalls of the current Opposition. We are all being honest on this forum, right?

When PT were in opposition, their politicians were usually ridiculed for their "political" actions. And their supporters on this forum often defended them.

Of course, there were often cases where there was very little defense offered. A good example of that is the "PTP/Thaksin banners on donated goods" thread.

In the interest of political balance (not to mention your own credibility) could you find something really juicy about the Dems? Go on. I dare you.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Except that when PT were in Opposition, their leading politicians were endlessly ridiculed for all kinds of actions, both real and alleged, on this forum by the usual suspects. So let's carry on ignoring that tiny little nuance in the name of consistency and carry on flagging up the real and alleged shortfalls of the current Opposition. We are all being honest on this forum, right?

When PT were in opposition, their politicians were usually ridiculed for their "political" actions. And their supporters on this forum often defended them.

Of course, there were often cases where there was very little defense offered. A good example of that is the "PTP/Thaksin banners on donated goods" thread. http://www.thaivisa....relief-control/

i'll tell you why i didn't defend that, because there isn't any good defence for it...plus i have plenty of criticisms of thaksin and PTP

you see, some people will not try and defend anything 'no matter what'... and then of course, some people will :whistling:

And on a related point (well not related at all really) it turns out that the PM's infamous Burberry wellies were in fact a Chinese knock off.Whereas the Chanel boots worn by the slightly scary (to my eyes) PAD supporting harpy wife of a leading very rich Democrat politician were the real thing.Go figure

Oh God, don't start with the footwear politics again, please!!! :lol:

Would that be a case of 'putting the boot in' ? Tee-hee ! Sorry, just couldn't resist. :rolleyes:

I suppose the basic question is were the roles reversed and Abhisit was still the PM and Yingluk was leader of the opposition during the current crisis would the posters supporting Abhisit's choice to be away for a few days accept the same arguments defending Yingluk?

Or would there be a gleeful posting of pictures of her dining in a restaurant etc. along with comments such as " You can see how much she loves the Thai people during their hour of need"

Ah, political forums. You've got to love 'em.

If you completely ignore the tiny little nuance that Abhisit is not the current PM, yeah, I guess.

In the reverse case, Abhisit is PM and Yingluck goes on a weekend trip, nobody, but nobody would bat an eyelid; least of all because Yingluck, before being appointed as PM in name had zero history of working for the good of the country and wouldn't be missed by anyone.

By the way, Chalerm, actual, currently serving Deputy Prime Minister, where is he? Haven't seen or heard from him since 4 weeks at least.

Anyone even seen a cop in the last month? Aside from the ones shaking down migrant workers and stealing back their relief supplies, and those charging extortionate fees for boat transport.

there's literally no point in trying to reason with some of ye

i mean, it's gone beyond a joke at this stage.

You can have an easy ride in these political discussions if you just subscribe to the political views of the gang of anti-Thaksin forum bullys and don't deviate from their organised party line. If you want to express your own opinions and have open-minded political debate, you are in for a rough ride because of the aforementioned forum bullys. I, personally, find it fun. But it's certainly not for the thin-cyberskinned.

true

Though i'm certainly not thin skinned, cyber or real life... i've shrugged of a few immature trolling attempts here without lowering myself to getting into a slagging match, it doesn't get a rise out of me no matter how hard some will try

it's not about not being able for it, or finding it a rough ride in the slightest... or that i feel any bit of intimidation from some of the 'wannabe keyboard bully's', who feel a sense of worth by tag-teaming against people with different views

random anon posters on an internet forum don't intimidate me, trust me... :)

and i usually do find it funny, it's just this thread in particular show's there is literally no reasoning with them... no open-mindedness and blatant bias.

it's just so tediously boring reading the same recycled nonsense at this stage.

the comments are a little too 'groundhog day' for me.

i still plan to post here, but i'll save it for the very small few, who at least seem partially open to some objective debate.

That's because you seem to have a tendency to keep on beating the same dead horse over and over and over again.

true

Though i'm certainly not thin skinned, cyber or real life... i've shrugged of a few immature trolling attempts here without lowering myself to getting into a slagging match, it doesn't get a rise out of me no matter how hard some will try

it's not about not being able for it, or finding it a rough ride in the slightest... or that i feel any bit of intimidation from some of the 'wannabe keyboard bully's', who feel a sense of worth by tag-teaming against people with different views

and i usually do find it funny, it's just this thread in particular show's there is literally no reasoning with them... no open-mindedness and blatant bias.

i still plan to post here, but i'll save it for the very small few, who at least seem partially open to some objective debate.

That's because you seem to have a tendency to keep on beating the same dead horse over and over and over again.

my baiting friend, i'm not even going to get into the petty argument with you that you're hoping for... sorry to disappoint

i have to laugh tho, so thanks for revitalizing my sense of humour about some of the things written here....

if ever there was a pot calling a kettle black, the very meaning of the phrase can be defined by your very comment... in fact, it should be the example in the oxford dictionary, as there wouldn't be a person in the world that would be confused by it's meaning

even that dumb yingluck woman, who you're obviously miles more intelligent than, as your comments and contributions to this forum clearly shows.

so keep up you're little pot shots, i'm afraid it doesn't affect me

this is exactly what keeps me amused here.

Edited by nurofiend

Why bother.

The photo has been removed ,

No censorship freedom of the press etc etc under Thaksins regimes ?

Mind you I can think of one political heavyweight whose son had a great interest in, " toilets." rolleyes.gif

Edited by siampolee

Floating toilets donated by Japan now have the name of thai politician on them http://twitpic.com/76sw0x TR @NationChannel24

Can anyone read the "Thai politician"s name?

Original poster took down the pic, too much attention I suppose.

Found an joke-album mocking the banners: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.266552520046587.58784.166265976741909&type=1

true

my baiting friend, i'm not even going to get into the petty argument with you that you're hoping for... sorry to disappoint

i have to laugh tho, so thanks for revitalizing my sense of humour about some of the things written here....

if ever there was a pot calling a kettle black, the very meaning of the phrase can be defined by your very comment... in fact, it should be the example in the oxford dictionary, as there wouldn't be a person in the world that would be confused by it's meaning

even that dumb yingluck woman, who you're obviously miles more intelligent than, as your comments and contributions to this forum clearly shows.

so keep up you're little pot shots, i'm afraid it doesn't affect me

this is exactly what keeps me amused here.

Sorry but I have to jump in here and say that despite numerous denials Neuro fiend seems to be getting a tad thin skinned here with all the stick.

Just an amused observation from afar.

He's right of course. This is the result of decades of failed politics, with friends, family and business connections being placed in important positions instead of those with knowledge and a determination to make a difference. The fact that major decisions and responsibility is placed in the hands of a prime minister with no expertise in the area and no political experience whatsoever, doesn't make the outcome any brighter.

It's years now since they started flooding Ayutthaya and nearby province routinely to "save" Bangkok. Unfortunately, that's like filling a balloon on a daily basis without control of the inflow. Sooner or later it will burst. That's very simple statistics. According to online responses from foreign climate experts, increased flooding is something Thailand has to live with. Sea temperatures are rising, which leads to more evaporation of sea water, and surprise, surprise... more rain. It's called global warming, in case anybody wonders.

Just to be pedantic, it isn't called "global warming" anymore. It's now "climate change".

That became necessary when they realised there was a lot more snow falling than before.

I suppose the basic question is were the roles reversed and Abhisit was still the PM and Yingluk was leader of the opposition during the current crisis would the posters supporting Abhisit's choice to be away for a few days accept the same arguments defending Yingluk?

Or would there be a gleeful posting of pictures of her dining in a restaurant etc. along with comments such as " You can see how much she loves the Thai people during their hour of need"

Ah, political forums. You've got to love 'em.

If you completely ignore the tiny little nuance that Abhisit is not the current PM, yeah, I guess.

In the reverse case, Abhisit is PM and Yingluck goes on a weekend trip, nobody, but nobody would bat an eyelid; least of all because Yingluck, before being appointed as PM in name had zero history of working for the good of the country and wouldn't be missed by anyone.

By the way, Chalerm, actual, currently serving Deputy Prime Minister, where is he? Haven't seen or heard from him since 4 weeks at least.

Anyone even seen a cop in the last month? Aside from the ones shaking down migrant workers and stealing back their relief supplies, and those charging extortionate fees for boat transport.

Aren't they supposed to be protecting all the empty houses from looters, though I'm sure I'm not the only one to think that that is like putting the foxes in charge of the henhouse?

Sorry but I have to jump in here and say that despite numerous denials Neuro fiend seems to be getting a tad thin skinned here with all the stick.

Just an amused observation from afar.

numerous denials?

thin skinned would imply i'm being offended or taking things personal...all i have to say to that is LOL in big capital letters.

all the stick? if you're suggesting i feel that i'm getting stick... i certainly don't see it.

i'm just not gonna rise to childish and poor attempts at baiting people into slagging matches.

if you see at that as being thin skinned, then that's perfectly ok by me.

but i'd be perfectly able and armed, to slag off plenty of members on this forum.. i just can't be arsed

Edited by nurofiend

Is she getting sincere cooperation from the army/yellow camp or are the loving the disaster as a political gold-mine?

After all, they were quite happy and selfish enough to shut down 3 international airports.

So you are saying the army shut down 3 airports. Do you wear your red shirt today?

Full court press from the spin factories this week... You can just smell the desperation. But sadly for all, considering the impact on so many people, this story is well and truly out of the box, for all to see.

Edited by animatic

1319687937[/url]">1319687937</a>' post='<a href="tel:4798777">4798777</a>']<br>
1319687068[/url]">1319687068</a>' post='<a href="tel:4798741">4798741</a>']<br>Surely as the leader of the opposition is not holding power there is no reason that he would need to be in country.. <br><br>Any comments that  may be made by the leader of the opposition would and are according to many to  be criticism of the current administration and it handling of flooding matters.<br><br>Thaksin  has managed  in the past and still is managing his puppet master control even though he is in Dubai or wherever he may be at the moment..None of the Thaksin apologists have commented on that fact.<br>
<br><br><br>The critical and political point is that if it were no problem why did the democrat party lie about it by at first denying he had been away?<br>
Because it was nobody's business, and dealing with the oncoming flood was not Abhisits actual business at that time. - Because The speaker had no clue, and just said what he knew; Nothing. - Because Abhisit deserved a quiet rest without being dragged back for utter B.S. reasons - Because the reporter asking stated he got the story from Nuttawat or Oak, and the responder just assumed it was just another factless attack, and auto-denied, based on source of rumor....Basicly this is a non-story that 'special interests' wanted spun into a scandle from invisible cloth. And far too many helped do so. Edited by animatic

The critical and political point is that if it were no problem why did the democrat party lie about it by at first denying he had been away?

When did they deny that he was away?

• Abhisit admits to Maldives trip amid Thailand flood crisis

A couple of days ago I blogged about allegations that former Thai PM and leader of the oppositionDemocrat Party, Abhisit Vejjajiva, ran away to the Maldives for a quick luxuryholiday as Bangkok faced flooding.

At first the Democrats seemed to deny ‘Mark’ (Abhisit) had been sunning histush at some luxury resort in the Maldives. Or, in typically evasive style,(why aren’t the Democrats and the truth ever on speaking terms?) wouldn’t denyAbhisit had been there.

Now they’ve admitted he was in the Maldives. But only after they got theirstory “straight”.<br style="mso-special-character: line-break;"><br style="mso-special-character: line-break;">

The critical and political point is that if it were no problem why did the democrat party lie about it by at first denying he had been away?

A couple of days ago I blogged about allegations that former Thai PM and leader of the oppositionDemocrat Party, Abhisit Vejjajiva, ran away to the Maldives for a quick luxuryholiday as Bangkok faced flooding.

At first the Democrats seemed to deny 'Mark' (Abhisit) had been sunning histush at some luxury resort in the Maldives. Or, in typically evasive style,(why aren't the Democrats and the truth ever on speaking terms?) wouldn't denyAbhisit had been there.

Now they've admitted he was in the Maldives. But only after they got theirstory "straight".<br style="mso-special-character: line-break;"><br style="mso-special-character: line-break;">

But his whereabouts on holiday is absolutely nothing to do with the press or the public. There is absolutely no need for him to hang around is there. He cannot do anything, he has no authority to demand or organize anything, and if he went up North to give out water he would likely be drowned by an over zealous red shirt. What is the problem? What his aides or party should have said to the journo's is "it's non of your dam_n business where he is". If they said he was in the Maldives, the island would have been tracked down and the place swamped with journo's. Most of the current Governmental Ministers seem very conspicuous by their absence and nobody has said a word. The leader of the opposition is out of this game.

At first the Democrats seemed to deny 'Mark' (Abhisit) had been sunning histush at some luxury resort in the Maldives. Or, in typically evasive style,(why aren't the Democrats and the truth ever on speaking terms?) wouldn't denyAbhisit had been there.

Now they've admitted he was in the Maldives. But only after they got theirstory "straight".<br style="mso-special-character: line-break;"><br style="mso-special-character: line-break;">

But his whereabouts on holiday is absolutely nothing to do with the press or the public. There is absolutely no need for him to hang around is there. He cannot do anything, he has no authority to demand or organize anything, and if he went up North to give out water he would likely be drowned by an over zealous red shirt. What is the problem? What his aides or party should have said to the journo's is "it's non of your dam_n business where he is". If they said he was in the Maldives, the island would have been tracked down and the place swamped with journo's. Most of the current Governmental Ministers seem very conspicuous by their absence and nobody has said a word. The leader of the opposition is out of this game.

You say if he stayed he cant do anything anyway? So why when he came back he stated if the PM askes for his help he will help.

There is no reason he should not have taken a break at that time.

The only reason to criticizes it is for creating political hatchet jobs.

He should have stayed as he is the leader of the opposition, it would have looked good for him and his party if he had of stayed during the crisis, not in another country playing golf while his people the Thai people suffered in a National crisis.Healso stated he would help if asked. Cant help if you arent here.

Sounds a bit like Nero playing the fiddle while Rome was burning.

Playing Golf on a holiday while Bangkok was drowning.

Yeah, he is about as handy as a wheel on a walking stick.

You say if he stayed he cant do anything anyway? So why when he came back he stated if the PM askes for his help he will help.

With all the negative claims of the Nation being lost because k. Abhisit went on a short break at a time of disaster, it's no surprise k. Abhisit felt a need to say "well I'm back, what do you want me to do". Probably since the 23rd still sitting next to the phone waiting for 'the' call <_<

Edited by rubl

True, of course, OZ, but far too obvious for the zealots on here.

I particularly like "animals" ( sorry about the spelling) comment about political hatchet jobs.................

Oz, Phil

you two are making a mountain out of a mole hill. He was asked by a Journo if he was willing to help the PM and he said 'if the PM askes for his help he will help'. The comments get more desperate and pathetic by the minute. Why am I a zealot because I said there was no reason for him not to take a holiday and it was none of anybodies business?

By the way Phil, all you have to do is press the multi-quote button and hit reply and it would make things so much neater.

Edited by GentlemanJim

The Democrats have now admitted that former PM Abhisit flew off to the Maldives, throwing in the lie that it was a 'diplomatic visit' despite no record of it from official Maldive sources.

Badly timed, perhaps, but I'm sure you and I would both like to be able to evacuate to somewhere like the Maldives. But lets be honest he is FORMER PM, so the onus is no longer on him personally to fix the problem and as Taksin has demonstrated beautifully it is easy to orchestrate the 'pawns' from abroad. But nevertheless a show of solidarity with ordinary people would have been benificial in a crisis such as this.

That's pretty naive. He's the current PM by proxy.

"Seemed to deny" .... "wouldn't deny" ... so in other words, there was no denial.

With all the negative claims of the Nation being lost because k. Abhisit went on a short break at a time of disaster, it's no surprise k. Abhisit felt a need to say "well I'm back, what do you want me to do". Probably since the 23rd still sitting next to the phone waiting for 'the' call <_<

But nobody is seriously claiming that.Abhisit was perfectly entitled to take a short break, though some cannier politicians would have changed their plans.The problem was the cover up, not so much lying but telling only half the truth when prompted in a weaselly kind of way.At our own level some forum members tied themselves up in knots on this frankly very unimportant matter

But nobody is seriously claiming that.Abhisit was perfectly entitled to take a short break, though some cannier politicians would have changed their plans.The problem was the cover up, not so much lying but telling only half the truth when prompted in a weaselly kind of way.At our own level some forum members tied themselves up in knots on this frankly very unimportant matter

From the blog it seems that the first time the Democrats were asked about it, they made no comment. After that, they didn't deny it.

Then there was someone saying that someone said that the Democrats said that Abhisit went to the Maldives to meet their president.

What cover up?

The Democrats have now admitted that former PM Abhisit flew off to the Maldives, throwing in the lie that it was a 'diplomatic visit' despite no record of it from official Maldive sources.

Badly timed, perhaps, but I'm sure you and I would both like to be able to evacuate to somewhere like the Maldives. But lets be honest he is FORMER PM, so the onus is no longer on him personally to fix the problem and as Taksin has demonstrated beautifully it is easy to orchestrate the 'pawns' from abroad. But nevertheless a show of solidarity with ordinary people would have been benificial in a crisis such as this.

That's pretty naive. He's the current PM by proxy.

I think you are getting your PMs a bit mixed up there.