A Couple Of Questions About Cycling In Cm

californiabeachboy

I am coming to CM for the first time in a couple of weeks (I have been to other places in Thailand before). I want to do some cycling while I am there and have some questions. I am just a casual cyclist, just looking to explore a bit.

I understand there is a Sunday morning bike ride near old town. I will not have my bike with me so need to rent one. The ride appears to start as 7:00 in the morning so I assume no bike rental shops will be open. Should I just rent on Saturday and keep it in the hotel room with me? Is that the best way to go? I will be staying in either close in North, NorthWest or West CM.

I want to do a half-day cultural tour of CM on the bike. I have done an Internet search and a few companies offer them. Any comments on some of the companies offering the tours, or the tours? It is a nice way to explore a city as a newbie, so that is on my list of things to do.

About the mosquitoes. I am told they don't fly very fast so I can probably outrun them on my bike. But I am curious as to whether the recent floods have increased the mossie problem when you stop for a water or a beer. I am trying to decide if I want to go out of town a bit on the bike.

Thanks.

No mosquitos in the daytime and few anyways. I'm a local cyclist (and ex Cali beach bum who lived on Venice Beach for 10 yrs.). If your interested in a ride for fun (at no charge) thru the hills outside of town I live 12km, that 8 miles to the Yanks, where there are lots of dirt roads and non-technical tracks but not big inclines, get in touch (Thaivias personal message is good). I have an extra Mt. Bike and enjoy a nice casual ride around the rice fields or something more depending on you. There are all sorts of cool things to see and get a look at everyday life here.

Couple of the mountain bike shops do week long rentals, google mountain biking Chiang Mai. Combining this with local transportation makes for great day rides. Take a Song Tao (sp) to Doi Inthanon park, top of the hill before Pai, Chiang Dao, or out to the start of the rural area of Samoeng as just a few ideas. Bringing just a small backpack we enjoyed this area tremendously on our first vacation years ago, with the availability of accommodation, refreshment and always available transportation we could ride where we wanted for how long we wanted - all cheap cheap cost wise as we booked no tours.

You can pack so light for touring the north it makes for great biking, both kinds. Below is a picture from this week, the blue water proof bag with all I need for an overnighter; plus heavy rain gear, spare tube, tools, a first aid kit in there with spare shirt, socks, briefs and toothbrush. No need for the bigger bike bags.

303795_2396699031423_1069408159_32691704_247945867_n.jpg

We drive to Mae Cheam often for a few days riding in the country, though last month we rode around Chiang Klang for a few days.

IMG_0122.JPG

Most of the better bike shops in CM are closed all day on Sunday. The best bikes to rent are probably from Cacti Bike. They may be open on sunday too.

You would think this year's weather would be great for mosquitos, but right now this is the best I've seen in 7 years.

Happy cycling!

Pick up a bottle of non-DEET Sketolene at your nearest Thai supermarket to apply, and you reduce the risk of getting bitten a great deal. An hour before sunset, it's a good idea to change into light, white (or light coloured) long sleeved clothes which also help reduce the risk of the mozzies getting to you (they like dark clothes).

May I expend this post? Can you recommend a really nice resort outside of CM from where to make easy day tours on small paved roads? I.e. resort to feel real good for a week?

How far out of Chiang Mai?

The closest we stay to Chiang Mai, for an explore by cycling trip, is Chiang Dao nest. Our goal is to find nice country side, with plenty of water features, but most importantly little traffic.

Thank you , good recommendation. We like the Chiang Dao Nest very much, Nest2 in particular. Good for cycling.

This time I would like something new, perhaps near the Mekong at place which is still lively after darkness. Lively means people, not Karaoke/Disco. Doesn't need to be cheap.

near the Mekong at place which is still lively after darkness

Not a lot of options if near the Mekong is a requirement, and small towns simply aren't lively after dark, that's just the way Thais are.

The Nan area perhaps?

Save Nan for the motorcycle, down right criminal to go there without a motorcycle.

If you want cultural and rural, with only rolling hills Phayao is ok and it's fun at night.

Chae Hom north is reasonably level, just south of Wang Nuea there's a nice 30 km loop on either side of the river. Plenty of other loops with out killer climbs, which for those of us lazy, old, and it's just plain warm, within a hour or 2 drive around CM.