Essential Tips For The Newbie

At all times, try and be a good ambassador for your country, especially if you are English or American. 

Consult :o for further info on this.

A fine sense of irony, but what why does he lump Americans in with the worst mannered tourists.

Did I not also say English?

And where did I say 'worst manered' ???

The English, I'll be the first to admit, are awful tourists - not all I should add.

Americans have a reputation just for being easy money and for judging people from what they read on an internet forum as if it made up the greater mass of their actual first hand persona.

Yanks! :D So touchy....

Thought he was a Jock? :D

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Be wary of well dressed Thai or other Asian men who approach you at street corners in cities like Bangkok or Chiang Mai and ask you where you are going.

More than likely they're just trying to get you to shop somewhere or enter into some kind of transaction to milk a few baht in commission. Thais usually will not offer assistance unless they are asked first. If you ask them for help, they will do what they can. So if you are offered help or asked a question first, be aware that he might be a potential schiester.

At all times, try and be a good ambassador for your country, especially if you are English or American. 

A fine sense of irony, but what why does he lump Americans in with the worst mannered tourists.

Y'all from the same little-bitty island! :D

(Taffs too)

The English, I'll be the first to admit, are awful tourists - not all I should add.

Americans have a reputation just for being easy money and for judging people from what they read on an internet forum as if it made up the greater mass of their actual first hand persona.

What about the Germans? The guys are huge and sweaty and the women have armpit hair. At least Americans don't seem to have a BO problem.

What about the Germans? The guys are huge and sweaty and the women have armpit hair. At least Americans don't seem to have a BO problem.

I guess we can count you out as not being German then, Skylar :D:D

...now you know why I'm here...btw...what does "BO" stand for?

...and you'll wake up ready to slit the throat of anyone who upsets you. DON'T TOUCH IT!!! 

Speak for yourself RD', I'm meek as a lamb on it mate, it's WITHOUT it that on a bad day with lack of sleep I'm ready to bite somebody's adam's apple out. :o

Not me, but someone I knew who used to come out in an itchy rash after eating very spicy som tam. The doc prescribed it for her so she could sleep. But it contains an anti-depressant too, so the after-effects for some people can be pretty bad.

very good advice scamp, the only thing i would mention is that the incedence of milaria is vey low in most of Thailand and many anti-milarial drugs have some pretty unpleasant side effects. Worst case scenario is severe depresion and suicide. I personally would rather have milaria than be dead so if you have any depresive problems or any family history of such steer well clear of anti milarials.

Feel personnaly to get malaria !

Your ignorance on this is baffling. Every malaria sufferer regrets the day that he did not take the precautions.

There are at the moment a number of alternative prescriptions that will avoid some of the nastier side effects of some earlier medicines.

Consult your family doctor on thyis before you leave and take the bloody pills !

....Consult your family doctor on this before you leave and take the bloody pills !

I've been here over three years and never taken an anti-malaria pill. Where exactly is it prevalent in Thailand? :o

Perhaps if we were jungle treking - anti-malaria tabs would be necessary, but other than that skip the tabs.

See Below:

Thailand: Limited risk in the areas that border Cambodia, Laos, and Burma. No risk in cities and major tourist resorts (Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Pattaya, Phuket Island, and Ko Samui.)

http://www.cdc.gov/travel/regionalmalaria/...htm#malariarisk

Edited by britmaveric

Because we generally are, right after the Germans of course, :D:D

(actually the "ugly American" stereotype isn't so prevalent anymore, though I still know a few that even embarrass me, :D )

If you really are a newbie, all will agree with me, when you first land in Bangkok clear customs etc, and when you first walk out of the terminal and in to what you think is fresh air and, the heat and smell first hit you. Then you know where you are....! :D:D:D

redrus

ps; enjoy. :o

Edited by redrus

<snip> No need to quote the whole da.mn thing Burns! < RDN

Some good advice from Scamps.... :o  :D

Thanks for cutting out my comments that were embedded in the OP. :D

I see quite often where multiple posts are quoted without embedded comments, so why did you snip mine?

BTW didnt see the need for the caustic and aggressive comment either and please call me Burnsie not just Burns.

Some good advice from Scamps.... :D  :D

I see quite often where multiple posts are quoted without embedded comments, so why did you snip mine?

BTW didnt see the need for the caustic and aggressive comment either and please call me Burnsie not just Burns.

Oops, sorry Burnsie :o . I do check about embedded comments, but clearly missed yours. I thought the bit in green was your only comment. Sorry - can't get 'em back either. :D

Edited by RDN

Some good advice from Scamps.... :D  :D

Oops, sorry Burnsie :D . I do check about embedded comments, but clearly missed yours. I thought the bit in green was your only comment. Sorry - can't get 'em back either. :D

:o

No probs.... :D:D

The only drugs you will require, assuming you are not on medication for any malady, are the following:

Norfloxin: This is the healthier alternative to Immodium and you will need this for the first few days while your guts get used to the climate and new food.

I also recommend you take one prior to a long bus journey.

Are you insane? Assuming you mean Norfloxacin, it is an antibiotic, and should not under any circumstances be taken as a prophylactic. Assuming you do not want to promote the development of antibiotic resistent germs, viruses and fungal growth in your body, that is.

Please do not give medical advice unless you are a qualified medical practicioner, or at the very least, know what you are talking about.

....Consult your family doctor on this before you leave and take the bloody pills !

I've been here over three years and never taken an anti-malaria pill. Where exactly is it prevalent in Thailand? :o

I have had it 3 times already and it could have come from a number of places. Khao Sok is renowned for it, with about 20 cases a year. Nasty.

Around the northern areas where trekking is popular, there is a risk also.

As I have been here for over 6 years now, I didn't feel the need to take anti-malarials, as they are an anti-biotic and the long term effects aren't very nice.

But, I can tell you this for free. Having Malaria made me want to die. It sucked. And gets worse every time.

oh, one more thing I forgot is that newbies should not wear those hideous velcro sandals. They're revolting.

Another thing newbies shouldn't wear are those t-shirts you can buy in Pattaya that say:

"Good boys go to heaven bad boys go to Pattaya"

It dosen't make you look cool and it isn't attractive in any way :o

Ah crap! :D

I have had it 3 times already and it could have come from a number of places. Khao Sok is renowned for it, with about 20 cases a year. Nasty.

As I have been here for over 6 years now, I didn't feel the need to take anti-malarials, as they are an anti-biotic and the long term effects aren't very nice.

But, I can tell you this for free. Having Malaria made me want to die. It sucked. And gets worse every time.

I took anti-malaria pills for three months while deployed to the middle-east and saw no affects to speak of. Also, I had about 24 men and none of them experienced any problems either. Considering we were torn to shreds my mosquitoes anytime we came near a water source they might have worked.

The only drugs you will require, assuming you are not on medication for any malady, are the following:

Norfloxin: This is the healthier alternative to Immodium and you will need this for the first few days while your guts get used to the climate and new food.

I also recommend you take one prior to a long bus journey.

Are you insane? Assuming you mean Norfloxacin, it is an antibiotic, and should not under any circumstances be taken as a prophylactic. Assuming you do not want to promote the development of antibiotic resistent germs, viruses and fungal growth in your body, that is.

Please do not give medical advice unless you are a qualified medical practicioner, or at the very least, know what you are talking about.

WS

Norfloxacin/Noroxin used in a 5 day treatment to treat travellers diarrhoea...1 x 400mg tablet twice a day over 5 days. Thats what my MIMS book says.

BTW a prophylactic is something you put over your John Watkins to prevent a sudden surprise or a course of another anti biotics.

:o

I've been here over three years and never taken an anti-malaria pill. Where exactly is it prevalent in Thailand? :D

Gee I thought you only contracted it once.....then have re-occurrences from the original complaint. :o

oh, one more thing I forgot is that newbies should not wear those hideous velcro sandals. They're revolting.

Another thing newbies shouldn't wear are those t-shirts you can buy in Pattaya that say:

"Good boys go to heaven bad boys go to Pattaya"

It dosen't make you look cool and it isn't attractive in any way :o

Ah crap! :D

Aww.....ditto.... :D:D

BTW a prophylactic is something you put over your John Watkins to prevent a sudden surprise or a course of another anti biotics.

A 'prophylactic' is any course of treatment designed to prevent occurence of a disease. Vaccination is a prophylactic.