Thai Defence Minister Affirms Strong Thai-Us Ties

Lite Beer

Thai Defence Minister affirms strong Thai-US ties

image_201110261924534030B5B8-C1D6-B1A2-7CF86FFE151A705A.jpg

BANGKOK, Oct 26 -- Thai Defence Minister Gen Yuthasak Sasiprapa on Wednesday denied news report that Thailand declined an offer for help from the United States and that the US Navy withdrew several ships sent to help with relief efforts in flood-hit Thailand, saying ties between the two nations remain strong.

Gen Yutthasak said the US dispatched one ship now at Laem Chabang in Chon Buri and two helicopters to help Thailand.

The minister said he discussed with Supreme Commander Gen Thanasak Patimaprakorn who confirmed that Thailand did not reject the offer from the US.

Ministry of Defence Office of Policy and Planning director Gen Nipat Thonglek assigned to discuss the issue with Joint United States Military Advisory Group (JUSMAG) said close cooperation would remain unchanged and the close ties would remain the same, according to the Thai defence minister.

"Thailand has asked what we need as the US offer for helicopters to search for flood victims was not urgently needed but we wanted sand bags, boats and dried food," he said.

The US understood Thailand's stance after the discussion, he said.

French news agency Agence France-Presse (AFP) on Monday quoted a spokesman for the US Pacific Fleet based in Hawaii Lt-Commander John Perkins as saying that the aircraft carrier USS George Washington and other ships were deployed to the area on Oct 16 for potential disaster relief work as Thailand faced massive flooding from monsoon rains.

According to AFP, he said the US military never received a formal request from the Thai government and the three-ship aircraft carrier group along with a fourth ship, the USS Kidd, were released and left the area on Oct 21.

Gen Yutthasak however said the US Department of Defence issued a statement affirming close relations between the two countries and praised Thailand for its response to the flood.

US Defense Secretary Leon Panetta was quoted by AFP on Tuesday as saying that the US was monitoring the situation and applauded the Thai government's quick response to this major natural disaster.

"Thailand is a close ally, and we will continue to work with Thai officials to assess what they may need in the form of assistance from the United States," said Mr Panetta. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2011-10-26

US Defense Secretary Leon Panetta was quoted by AFP on Tuesday as saying that the US was monitoring the situation and applauded the Thai government's quick response to this major natural disaster.

Does it say "satire" anywhere?

Yes... such strong Ties that the U.S hasn't even issued an Official Travel Warning yet for tourists coming into Bkk. Seems very irresponsible to me to still let people fly in. How can they guarantee the supply chain of food & water will hold up? Now CAT saying potential for no phone or internet. In cahoots to save the ye ole Tourist dollar? My last smiggen of faith in either of these governments is pretty much gone!!

Probably a case of the U.S. needs to receive a formal request for certain kinds of assistance and the Thai govt is not willing to make such a request as it would confirm their inability to meet the current crisis. There also may be a requirement for the Thai govt to provide reimbursement for certain assistance which the Thai govt is not willing to do at this time....maybe only looking for free assistance at this point in time. But with this being said, I'm sure the U.S. and Thai govt-to-govt relationship is still rock solid.

"The USS George Washington aircraft carrier and other ships were deployed to the area on October 16 for potential disaster relief work as Thailand faced massive flooding from monsoon rains, said Navy spokesman Lieutenant Commander John Perkins.

But the US military never received a formal request from the Thai government and the three-ship aircraft carrier group along with a fourth ship, the USS Kidd, were released and left the area on Friday, said Perkins, spokesman for the US Pacific Fleet based in Hawaii"

Yes... such strong Ties that the U.S hasn't even issued an Official Travel Warning yet for tourists coming into Bkk. Seems very irresponsible to me to still let people fly in. How can they guarantee the supply chain of food & water will hold up? Now CAT saying potential for no phone or internet. In cahoots to save the ye ole Tourist dollar? My last smiggen of faith in either of these governments is pretty much gone!!

If you are registered with the US Embassy in Bangkok, or with the US Department of State for a specific trip, Travel Alerts have been issued numerous times over the past few weeks. But no Travel Warnings. They are also posted here:

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/embassy/wwc/recent.html

I always register my international travel so I get these notices automatically. It can be done here:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/registration/registration_4789.html

Travel Alerts:

Travel Alerts are issued to disseminate information about short-term conditions, either transnational or within a particular country, that pose significant risks to the security of U.S. citizens. Natural disasters, terrorist attacks, coups, anniversaries of terrorist events, election-related demonstrations or violence, and high-profile events such as international conferences or regional sports events are examples of conditions that might generate a Travel Alert.

Travel Warnings:

We issue a Travel Warning when we want you to consider very carefully whether you should go to a country at all. Examples of reasons for issuing a Travel Warning might include unstable government, civil war, or ongoing intense crime or violence, or frequent terrorist attacks. We want you to know the risks of traveling to these places and to strongly consider not going to them at all. Travel Warnings remain in place until the situation changes; some have been in effect for years.

I'm sure most major governments have the same service.

Seems bogus. It's obvious that this is government backpedaling. The U.S. would not risk jeopardizing Thai politics by telling who refused the offer for help.

It's pretty clear now that the Thai military most likely rejected it.

The above post actually says a lot and says nothing. I am pretty disappointed that the US carrier is away now, for whatever reason, but find nothing in the above which actaully proves anything. Conjecture it may well be, but put in such a way that the author might like to provide an understanding of how his mind works

Lets cut up the post and see what it actually says.

"Seems Bogus" To you or am I missing something? Please explain.

"Obvious that this is government backpedalling" Not obvious to me, you have the better of me here, sir and can you please explain what I am missing.

"Pretty clear now that the Thai Military most likely rejected it. How is it pretty clear and how did you come to the "most likely" conclusion?

The above post actually says a lot and says nothing. I am pretty disappointed that the US carrier is away now, for whatever reason, but find nothing in the above which actaully proves anything. Conjecture it may well be, but put in such a way that the author might like to provide an understanding of how his mind works

"Obvious that this is government backpedalling" Not obvious to me, you have the better of me here, sir and can you please explain what I am missing.

"Pretty clear now that the Thai Military most likely rejected it. How is it pretty clear and how did you come to the "most likely" conclusion?

Maybe you should look up what "reading between the lines" means before posting an essay length sarcastic reply.

Yes... such strong Ties that the U.S hasn't even issued an Official Travel Warning yet for tourists coming into Bkk. Seems very irresponsible to me to still let people fly in.

Did you look as there is an Emergency Message to U.S. Citizens posted here: US Embassy - Bangkok. Emergency contact information is supplied there also.

//edit - also current info here > American Citizen Services - Twitter ACS Bangkok

@Craig6635 -

If you are registered with the US Embassy in Bangkok, or with the US Department of State for a specific trip, Travel Alerts have been issued numerous times over the past few weeks. But no Travel Warnings.

Well...Canada seems to consider this worthy of a "Warning" not an "Alert" so your theory of alerts being for natural disasters and warnings being for government related issues doesn't necessarily apply here.

Regional Warning: Bangkok and flood-affected areas

Avoid all non-essential travel

OFFICIAL WARNING: Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada advises against non-essential travel to Bangkok and flood-affected areas. Areas of northern and eastern Bangkok, as well as outlying districts, and 28 provinces of Thailand are experiencing significant flooding. According to the Thai government, all of Bangkok faces serious flooding risk. These conditions are causing travel disruptions and have interrupted other essential services, such as the power supply and communications in some affected areas. Further disruptions to essential services, as well as shortages of drinking water and some food items may occur, including within the Bangkok Metropolitan Area. More than 350 deaths have been attributed to the flooding. Please see section 10 of this Travel Report for more information.

In response to the holiday declared by the government of Thailand, the Embassy of Canada will provide essential services only on October 27, 28 and 31. These include emergency consular, passport and visa services. Please contact the Embassy by telephone first if you require these services.

Edited by jaiyen17

@Craig6635 -

If you are registered with the US Embassy in Bangkok, or with the US Department of State for a specific trip, Travel Alerts have been issued numerous times over the past few weeks. But no Travel Warnings.

Well...Canada seems to consider this worthy of a "Warning" not an "Alert" so your theory of alerts being for natural disasters and warnings being for government related issues doesn't necessarily apply here.

Regional Warning: Bangkok and flood-affected areas

Avoid all non-essential travel

OFFICIAL WARNING: Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada advises against non-essential travel to Bangkok and flood-affected areas. Areas of northern and eastern Bangkok, as well as outlying districts, and 28 provinces of Thailand are experiencing significant flooding. According to the Thai government, all of Bangkok faces serious flooding risk. These conditions are causing travel disruptions and have interrupted other essential services, such as the power supply and communications in some affected areas. Further disruptions to essential services, as well as shortages of drinking water and some food items may occur, including within the Bangkok Metropolitan Area. More than 350 deaths have been attributed to the flooding. Please see section 10 of this Travel Report for more information.

In response to the holiday declared by the government of Thailand, the Embassy of Canada will provide essential services only on October 27, 28 and 31. These include emergency consular, passport and visa services. Please contact the Embassy by telephone first if you require these services.

Please re-read my post and the definitions of "Alert" versus "Warning". This is the US government's definition, not Canada's and for sure not mine! :jap:

Sorry Craig... I'm just so frustrated the U.S and Thailand both won't say.... people should not be flying into Bangkok as tourists/travelers/backpackers!! They're asking people to evacuate...but still not telling people not to come in. It just seems so strange to me. I would llke to see a WARNING and recommendation for a halt to all non-essential travel into Bangkok immediately and it's just not happening. Guess we'll see how the next 24 hours go.... my house was supposed to flood tonight...warnings broadcast over loud speakers throughout the mooban today...and we're still dry. So..like I said..maybe if the embassy floods...they'll issue an official "warning" because they're limited in being able to help us. Interesting they chose to close today too. Hope you're safe and dry...and sorry to say it was your definition. :sorry:

Backpedaling Thais trying to cover up their mistake of turning away life saving assistance to Save Face.

Exactly, how could they know they did not need help more than a week before the real problem hit? Did they not know there was a lot of water yet to reach BKK?

Perhaps I just answered my own question.

Seems bogus. It's obvious that this is government backpedaling. The U.S. would not risk jeopardizing Thai politics by telling who refused the offer for help.

Its pretty clear that this Thai government refused it... Not the military...............

Its pretty clear that this Thai government refused it... Not the military...............

Oh and.... a hedgehog has the pricks on the outside..! (for those who did not know)

The International Airport is not flooded and most of the tourist sites are not flooded (the islands for example). Most tourists only spend a few days in Bangkok and go elsewhere unless you are a "Soi Cowboy/ Nana" tourist.

The International Airport is not flooded and most of the tourist sites are not flooded (the islands for example). Most tourists only spend a few days in Bangkok and go elsewhere unless you are a "Soi Cowboy/ Nana" tourist.

For the sex tourists its the old "One location temporarily out of action, others working fine!" scenario.

Maybe you should look up what "reading between the lines" means before posting an essay length sarcastic reply.

Ok, you got me there. Reading between the lines is one skill you have that I obviously don't have. But you still didn't expain your reasoning. Another(later) member thinks the exact opposite of you, so your skills may be somewhat limited to yourself.

You know, I was once banned from ThaiVisa for calling someone a prick. Kinda feel that wy now