So With All But Essential Travel To Bangkok , How Will This Effect Samui?

the uk and many other Embasseys are advising against all But essential travel to bangkok , but in many people's eye's , this means bangkok , and with Koh Samui's main airline hub being bangkok , how do you think this will effect the island now, and into the high season, esp with europeans looking to book now, but seeing these warnings which go to the agents and sites, will it have a back track effect to samui ??????

Issued by fco.gov.uk:

This advice has been reviewed and reissued with an amendment to the Travel Summary (update to advice and information on floods). The overall level of the advice has changed. We now advise against all but essential travel to the city of Bangkok and the 26 provinces in Thailand affected by flooding. Our advice against all but essential travel to the city of Bangkok does not include transit through Suvarnabhumi international airport. Flights to destinations elsewhere in Thailand (eg the resorts of Chiang Mai, Pattaya, Phuket, and Koh Samui) continue to operate normally. We continue to advise against all travel to the Preah Vihear and Ta Krabey/Ta Moan temple areas and against all but essential travel to the provinces of Pattani, Yala, Narathiwat and Songkhla.

Meaning that at the moment temple-tours are a no-no but it's OK to hit the rain-drenched beaches of Samui.

R

Edited by robsamui

Again the British foreign demonstrate what a bunch of prize plums they are.

To put a brighter slant on this i would remind everyone that if there was one month in the entire year when ill informed beaucratic clowns were going to make such a statement thank heavens it would be moving into november, a month when tourists tend to stay away from Samui anyway. Id dread to think if they made such statements just before christmas.

You could find that the traffic will increase, same as the Tsunami period

Australian travel advisory:

This advice has been reviewed and reissued.

It contains new information under Natural Disasters, Severe Weather and Climate

(revised information on floods affecting Bangkok and other parts of Thailand).

We recommend that you reconsider your need to travel to Bangkok and flood

affected provinces (except Suvarnabhumi International Airport) due to transport

disruptions and reduced access to essential services caused by severe flooding.

The overall level of the advice has not changed.page_top.gif

Summary

• We recommend that you reconsider your need to travel to Bangkok and flood
    affected provinces (except Suvarnabhumi International Airport) due to transport
    disruptions and reduced access to essential services caused by severe
    flooding.
  • Heavy rainfall in September and October has caused widespread flooding,
    flash floods and mudslides in north, north-east and central Thailand, including
    flooding is some areas of Bangkok. Thai officials have warned that further
    flooding, including in inner Bangkok is possible. It is not known how widespread
    the flooding will be, nor how long it will last.
  • At present Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi International Airport is operating
    normally, however, Don Muang Airport in Bangkok has been closed. You should
    check with your airline or tour operator for information on disruptions.
  • If you are in an area affected by flooding you should monitor local media,
    exercise extreme caution and follow the advice of local authorities. Australians
    planning to travel to affected areas of Thailand should contact their travel
    provider or hotel to check on flood conditions. See under Flooding
    in Bangkok and other parts of Thailand
    for further
    information.

To put a brighter slant on this i would remind everyone that if there was one month in the entire year when ill informed beaucratic clowns were going to make such a statement thank heavens it would be moving into november, a month when tourists tend to stay away from Samui anyway. Id dread to think if they made such statements just before christmas.

I think that you should look at the larger picture regarding Embassy statements.

If Samui in inundated with tourists, as in post tsunami 2005, there could be a severe shortage of essential supplies. Last time supplies were unaffected. This time everyone relies on the distribution centers north Bangkok, which are affected. It will take time for alternative supplies.

So, increased tourism here would severely affect us expats and locals very badly.

Edited by trashy

Am I missing something here?

The FO is stating that Suvanabhumi is not affected (which it isn't) and that anyone needing to fly to Samui (etc) from there won't be troubled by the floods.

(and will have an amazing view of them from the air . . .)

In what repect is that bunchily prize-plummed?

R

Edited by robsamui

friend coming from uk to visit has been been told by his travel agent that they cannot fly him to bangkok to fly to koh samui but are trying a different airport so looks like it is affecting flight to bangkok.he booked though a big travel agent in the uk

friend coming from uk to visit has been been told by his travel agent that they cannot fly him to bangkok to fly to koh samui but are trying a different airport so looks like it is affecting flight to bangkok.he booked though a big travel agent in the uk

That's interesting. All the reports are that the airports in Bangkok are unaffected...save for maybe supply and staff shortages I would guess.

Swampy are adamant they are open and running as normal. Suggest you tell your friend to either get a different travel agent or book the flights himself!:D

Edited by itishothere

I am a travel agent based here on Samui but work through a UK travel agency. I can tell you that your friends travel agent is WRONG, he needs to print off and show them the FCO advice. Suv airport is open for business as usual and they have not advised against transitting through there. Only the city itself and northern provinces. If he wants to book with me I can help!!

my son is coming to thailand around the 8th november ,his travel agent advised going to phuket as opposed to bkk,but better if he missed thailand completly and went somewhere else,he's coming to see me but if there telling everyone the same thing i think people will rethink coming here for sure ....

my son is coming to thailand around the 8th november ,his travel agent advised going to phuket as opposed to bkk,but better if he missed thailand completly and went somewhere else,he's coming to see me but if there telling everyone the same thing i think people will rethink coming here for sure ....

The travel agent sounds perfectly sensible. I wouldn't advise anyone to travel to Samui in November. Any other month yes.

The travel agent sounds perfectly sensible. I wouldn't advise anyone to travel to Samui in November. Any other month yes.

ya agree with smokie there. if i was a travel agent and wanted repeat business i would do the same thing. reminds me of the time many years ago now where i was sitting in the restaurant in that spa hotel and there was an english lady at the table next to me complaining bitterly about songkran and "how could these people ruin my expensive new dress".

now i suppose the travel agent could have told her about songkran and it just went in one ear and out the other, but i know i'd appreciate any inside info related to weather and events specific to any dates i might be traveling. if i ignore that advice, well the thai's have a phrase for that don't they.

Looking at the shelve in Lotus to-day and I would assume same in other supermarket's not enough food to feed the people left on Samui so let's hope no more tourist's arrive. Even rice in short supply.I have my own water supply but some don't so I can see problem's in the coming days and week.

Looking at the shelve in Lotus to-day and I would assume same in other supermarket's not enough food to feed the people left on Samui so let's hope no more tourist's arrive. Even rice in short supply.I have my own water supply but some don't so I can see problem's in the coming days and week.

I was In Teso Lotus Lamai this morning - most stuff available. Their only shortage that I noticed was fresh veggies. Found plenty of those at the new Bophut market!

They even had bars of Tesco own brand fruit and nut chocolate. Yummie :licklips:

I was In Teso Lotus Lamai this morning - most stuff available. Their only shortage that I noticed was fresh veggies. Found plenty of those at the new Bophut market!

They even had bars of Tesco own brand fruit and nut chocolate. Yummie :licklips:

Ah! but the Tesco dark chocolate better! but I snapped most of those up! :lol:

There seems to be a good selection of veggies at some of the markets, even stuff one usually cannot find at the big stores (bean sprouts being one).... One wonders how they are getting this stuff... most seems to be fresh.... not sure if they are small farms selling their own produce?....

Getting back to topic, I was in KP for a few days this week and it was actually quite busy with tourists, but also here on Samui, when one drives around there are lots of "white skins" about.... One has to suspect they are traveling here rather than elsewhere in Thailand...

I had one resort manager between Chawang and Lamai, tell me they are almost booked up for November, he says some people actually enjoy the rain... perhaps they live in the Sahara desert?... :D