What can I do with a 2 year license?

1 hour ago, Coach11111 said:

What can I do with a 2 year license?

Only allows to drive car or motorcycle as per license.

For example, can I drive in the other ASEAN countries?

No Get the idp from your home country.

Are there any other perks or useful things to know about it?

Perks? Good grief. How about not getting fined 500฿ for driving without it.

• Love It 1

7 hours ago, novacova said:

No Get the idp from your home country.

IDP can be applied for in any country that you hold a licence for, so the OP could apply for an IDP here as he holds a Thai licence (maybe only when the 5 year). But certainly you do not have to apply in your home country.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

As a foreigner, you must use your passport to fly domestically, driving licence or ID card is no longer acceptable.

Do you have a link to this?

I only ask because TAT say totally different.

https://www.tatnews.org/2024/01/caat-heightens-domestic-boarding-pass-and-identity-verification-rules/

Edited by bigt3116
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

As a foreigner, you must use your passport to fly domestically, driving licence or ID card is no longer acceptable.

My Thai DL was accepted as recently as last month when I flew Samui to Phuket.

I always use my Thai DL.

Same as when renting motorbikes and they ask for passport. I do not carry my passport on domestic journeys - only a copy.

13 minutes ago, bigt3116 said:

Do you have a link to this?

I only ask because TAT say totally different.

https://www.tatnews.org/2024/01/caat-heightens-domestic-boarding-pass-and-identity-verification-rules/

The only problem with using the ID card is that my name there is written in Thai (phonetic translation I think).

It does not match my boarding card where my name is in English

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, JBChiangRai said:

This in case the passport is lost. One would assume only then an original DL can be used and proof that the passport is really lost.?

In case of lost passport or identification documents, non-Thai passengers must provide one of the following documents:

• Original emergency passport or emergency travel certificate.

• Original non-Thai ID Card issued by Department of Provincial Administration of Thailand.

• Original driving license issued by Department of Land Transport of Thailand.

TAT wishes all visitors a safe journey and a relaxing holiday in Thailand.

Edited by freeworld

3 minutes ago, freeworld said:

This in case the passport is lost. One would assume only then an original DL can be used and proof that the passport is really lost.?

In case of lost passport or identification documents, non-Thai passengers must provide one of the following documents:

• Original emergency passport or emergency travel certificate.

• Original non-Thai ID Card issued by Department of Provincial Administration of Thailand.

• Original driving license issued by Department of Land Transport of Thailand.

TAT wishes all visitors a safe journey and a relaxing holiday in Thailand.

I think you will need to provide some proof you have lost your passport, typically a police report or something from your embassy.

They won't just accept you saying "I've lost my passport"

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Coach11111 said:

It seems unclear what I can and cannot do on a 2 year license. 

For example, can I drive in the other ASEAN countries? Can I fly domestically in Thailand as an ID card? 

Are there any real restrictions to this license other than not being able to get an IDP? 

Are there any other perks or useful things to know about it? 

Thanks 

It is a temporary license, states that on the license. Cannot obtain an IDP on a temp license.

perks; you can drive a car on the road in Thailand and can have bragging rights around the world that you have obtained a Thai temporary driving license.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

Wrong. I'm flying a lot of domestic and always only show DL. Have passport with me as a backup but never been asked for it.

Posted (edited)

Some pretty vague uninformed statements here.

For sure:

With a 2 year license you can not apply for a Thai IDP.

With a 2 year license you must not cross border, drive in neighboring countries.

As far as I know:

With a 2 year license you can not rent a car.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, bigt3116 said:

IDP can be applied for in any country that you hold a licence for, so the OP could apply for an IDP here as he holds a Thai licence (maybe only when the 5 year). But certainly you do not have to apply in your home country.

No duh, in case you missed it, the op is inquiring about a two year license not a five year license.

There are vendors on the internet that do idp’s, so there’s another option.

14 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

I can assure you I am not wrong, it may be taking some time to filter through and possibly some airlines may allow it but on 16th January this year the Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand changed the rules for ID for foreigners flying domestically. It sounds like you have been lucky. You should have been screened out at the first check by the airport’s own security staff.

I

First time i heard of this. I have done several domestic flights this year checked in with DL only. Last time was in April. Obviously not enforced much yet.

13 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

With a 2 year license you must not cross border, drive in neighboring countries.

I don't think that is correct. I was stuck with 2 year licenses for a while due to visa issues. I did some extensive research back then, and found as long as you have a valid license in English language; you can use it in most countries. You will however, not be able to get a Thai IDP.