ICQ messenger service to shut down after 28 years

good-bye-icq.webp

After nearly three decades, the pioneering messenger service ICQ will shut down on June 26th, 2024. Developed by Israeli company Mirabilis in 1996, ICQ quickly became a global phenomenon, introducing millions to real-time online communication. Its unique user identification system, based on assigned numbers instead of usernames, was a defining characteristic.

ICQ's popularity peaked in the late 90s and early 2000s, boasting over 100 million users at its zenith. However, the rise of competing platforms like AIM, MSN Messenger, and later, social media giants, gradually eroded its user base.

In 2010, Russian tech company Mail.ru Group, now known as VK, acquired ICQ. Despite attempts to revitalize the platform with new features and mobile versions, it failed to regain its former glory. VK's announcement of ICQ's closure came as no surprise to many, as its user base had dwindled significantly.

VK encourages remaining ICQ users to transition to their other messaging platforms, VK Messenger and VK WorkSpace. While ICQ may be disappearing, its legacy as a trailblazer in online communication remains. It paved the way for the countless messaging apps we use today and will forever be remembered as a significant milestone in internet history.

The closure of ICQ marks the end of an era for many who grew up using the platform. It serves as a reminder of how rapidly technology evolves and how even once-dominant platforms can become obsolete.

-- ASEAN NOW 2024-05-25

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, george said:

The closure of ICQ marks the end of an era for many who grew up using the platform. It serves as a reminder of how rapidly technology evolves and how even once-dominant platforms can become obsolete.

I hope Facebook follows them soon. Not because they are outdated but because they are not a good thing for children - makes many of them narcissistic and socially isolated.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Internet nostalgia.

Do you remember AOL CDs and what to do with it :biggrin:

Still remember my Compuserve ID.

First internet connection to Thailand was Gopher to Khon Kaen university.

I am so old...

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, watchcat said:

Sorry, ICQ never heard of it,

At least you can spell it.

If you were born before 1990 and were an internet user in the mid to late 90s or very early 2000s then there is a reasonable chance you would have heard of it and an OK chance that you would have used it.

4 hours ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

I hope Facebook follows them soon. Not because they are outdated but because they are not a good thing for children - makes many of them narcissistic and socially isolated.

It could be argued that weak parenting does that....   social media just provides the excuse.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Woof999 said:
2 hours ago, watchcat said:

Sorry, ICQ never heard of it,

If you were born before 1990 and were an internet user in the mid to late 90s or very early 2000s then there is a reasonable chance you would have heard of it and an OK chance that you would have used it.

And he also may well have learnt of the utter irrelevance of posting that he's unaware of something, in a topic specifically about that something... 

Just like the guys who post.... 'never heard of him'... when a famous singer dies etc....   as if its important that they let the forum learn of their limited knowledge base !!! 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

It could be argued that weak parenting does that....   social media just provides the excuse.

True - and luckily mine got through that mostly before social media became so dominant. But nowadays social media makes it so much harder to raise non-narccisistic 'balanced' non-karen non-woke girls, and socially capable young men who have grown up and dont play boy's computer games all day/night. 

28 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Facebook is for 'old people' lol, the generation you mention uses shorts all day (yeah facebook too but mainly tiktok, IG etc). It's been proven to work like hard drugs. The issue is that parents fail to control it, because they often not even have basic tech knowledge. When applying the positive things, it is only improvements.

I mean it's Thailand's number 1 nanny: ditch a ipad or smartphone in a toddlers hand and it will be quiet all day. To then add the 7/11 slurpies and look like a oempa loempa by 9-10.

Sadly that is true in a lot of cases.

19 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Internet nostalgia.

Do you remember AOL CDs and what to do with it :biggrin:

Still remember my Compuserve ID.

I am so old...

Me too Mate - I was involved when the Military in Australia and USA were developing their new 'failsafe' network designs, and the Academic Institutions who then developed and took it way further. 

20 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

I'm 41 and I remember using ICQ, modems and gopher in the 90s. Doesn't feel like that long ago really...

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, Woof999 said:

What are you,  a teenager. No I've not heard of it nor used it.

• Confused 2

23 hours ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

as with everything it will be replaced with something much worse