PM Yingluck May Work With Abhisit To Tackle Flood

webfact

Ontopic: Why are some posters trying to justify the main opposition party not needing it's CEO at the height of the country's worst crisis in half-a-century? Idiotic indeed.

Only thing idiotic is people that countries or parties should be run as corporations with an CEO - or that a major party not in any cabinet position would implode because one of their executive members went on a 3 day vacation.

Once again the Red Shirt and PT apologists show they lack of analytical ability.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ontopic: Why are some posters trying to justify the main opposition party not needing it's CEO at the height of the country's worst crisis in half-a-century? Idiotic indeed.

Only thing idiotic is people that countries or parties should be run as corporations with an CEO - or that a major party not in any cabinet position would implode because one of their executive members went on a 3 day vacation.

Once again the Red Shirt and PT apologists show they lack of analytical ability.

a reoccurring theme...

I for one must say I am impressed by the U-turn you've done regarding Abhisit. Many of us saw him as one of the very few competent and trustwory politicians on the Thai political scene and it seems you've now come to the conclusion that his expertise is indispensible as well. Unfortunately the current government didn't see it your way and failed to heed his advice leading to still more deaths and suffering for the Thai people. They seem to have somewhat seen the error of their ways, like you did, and now have called him back in to consult again. It canot but help matters as they stand now.

No u-turn from me, matey. I rate Abhisit very highly as one of the cleanest politicians an the scene, and I'm on record many times over stating this. That doesn't mean he's beyond criticism, which I'm also on record doing.

I for one must say I am impressed by the U-turn you've done regarding Abhisit. Many of us saw him as one of the very few competent and trustwory politicians on the Thai political scene and it seems you've now come to the conclusion that his expertise is indispensible as well. Unfortunately the current government didn't see it your way and failed to heed his advice leading to still more deaths and suffering for the Thai people. They seem to have somewhat seen the error of their ways, like you did, and now have called him back in to consult again. It canot but help matters as they stand now.

No u-turn from me, matey. I rate Abhisit very highly as one of the cleanest politicians an the scene, and I'm on record many times over stating this. That doesn't mean he's beyond criticism, which I'm also on record doing.

Then we are in completete agreement. Who'd have thunk it? :wai:

I would say that the Prime Minister of Thailand (Thai: นายกรัฐมนตรีแห่งราชอาณาจักรไทย) who is the head of government of Thailand leaving during a crisis is a larger gaff.

"who me" posted this comparison a couple of times on page one/two of this thread. I responded because I didn't find it a reasonable comparison between a PM on an official function, literally 'next door' for a day trip and the opposition leader heading off for a long weekend on some holiday islands while a huge quantity of water surrounded Bangkok. I think the latter is actually a political gaff.

IMO anyhow...

No harm done, though, as so many stated in justifying his actions, it wasn't like he was needed anyway, and if you did, just text him, ...

:D

Tom,

Per my response to you yesterday. A state visit can always be re-scheduled, many leaders on many occasions have done so. In the face of a disaster occurring back home, it would not be seen as an insult to the host (sure, there examples of excuses being made, this clearly isn't one). I'm sure, being the reasonable chap that I believe you are, you would acknowledge that not re-scheduling was quite the political gaffe?

I would say that the Prime Minister of Thailand (Thai: นายกรัฐมนตรีแห่งราชอาณาจักรไทย) who is the head of government of Thailand leaving during a crisis is a larger gaff.

"who me" posted this comparison a couple of times on page one/two of this thread. I responded because I didn't find it a reasonable comparison between a PM on an official function, literally 'next door' for a day trip and the opposition leader heading off for a long weekend on some holiday islands while a huge quantity of water surrounded Bangkok. I think the latter is actually a political gaff.

IMO anyhow...

No harm done, though, as so many stated in justifying his actions, it wasn't like he was needed anyway, and if you did, just text him, ...

:D

Tom,

Per my response to you yesterday. A state visit can always be re-scheduled, many leaders on many occasions have done so. In the face of a disaster occurring back home, it would not be seen as an insult to the host (sure, there examples of excuses being made, this clearly isn't one). I'm sure, being the reasonable chap that I believe you are, you would acknowledge that not re-scheduling was quite the political gaffe?

Hi Patjem, Sure, a trip can be rescheduled. To be honest, was her trip to Burma a political gaffe or seen as one? I don't know. It certainly didn't show up on my radar, but I was traveling up north and did not really hear any news about it. Maybe it was seen as a gaffe by the press, at the time.

Certainly, I have no problems with someone heading off for a long weekend, but as in this case, if he takes heat for it, it is probably a political gaffe. And per your argument, he could have rescheduled it, too.

In the end, is it a serious thing - besides the gaffe aspect, probably not - it wouldn't have changed a thing. But, that is one of the issues of politics, regardless of your preferences, ... that appearances often count more than reality.

And my personal opinion, if one wants to compare gaffes, as "why not" did originally, then I still think it is a worse gaffe to take a 4 day vacation to the beach on the other side of India in the middle of a flood crisis than to show up to work and perform one of your duties with a State visit / day-trip next door. Just my opinion.

Hi Patjem, Sure, a trip can be rescheduled. To be honest, was her trip to Burma a political gaffe or seen as one? I don't know. It certainly didn't show up on my radar, but I was traveling up north and did not really hear any news about it. Maybe it was seen as a gaffe by the press, at the time.

Certainly, I have no problems with someone heading off for a long weekend, but as in this case, if he takes heat for it, it is probably a political gaffe. And per your argument, he could have rescheduled it, too.

In the end, is it a serious thing - besides the gaffe aspect, probably not - it wouldn't have changed a thing. But, that is one of the issues of politics, regardless of your preferences, ... that appearances often count more than reality.

And my personal opinion, if one wants to compare gaffes, as "why not" did originally, then I still think it is a worse gaffe to take a 4 day vacation to the beach on the other side of India in the middle of a flood crisis than to show up to work and perform one of your duties with a State visit / day-trip next door. Just my opinion.

Still at it, I see. The affront, k. Abhisit on holiday at a time where the nation has major problems and only PM Yingluck c.s. to cope with it. Shame on him! He should have waited next to his phone for a call for help. Nonsense to distract from incompetent officials and their actions. IMHO.

In the mean time the "Disaster Law" was invoked to give the government and it's FROC more authority to control, report, issue orders, apprehend recalcitrants. Following we hear about 'worst to come', 'worst over', 'evacuate', 'stay calm', 'you have 3-4 hours', 'evacuation space prepared for 10,000', 'all leave BKK now', 'we dig / not dig', etc., etc. This part fact!

Edited by rubl