PM Yingluck May Work With Abhisit To Tackle Flood

webfact

Outstanding. I feel like Mister Disaster--I have been in three floods, four hurricanes, a major earthquake, and a super-cell at the Indie 500 that spawned dozens of tornadoes, one less than 100 meters away from us as we fled. The time for lazy name-calling is over--it's time to either get our hands dirty and help or shut our mouths about the endless power struggle of politics like it is a hooligan fest at a football game. Some of the other teachers where I work were actually glad we have more time off--and when they told me that I literally felt sick. No wonder many Thais don't like foreigners. The vocal minority gives us all a bad name.

If called up, this disaster is bigger than politics, bigger than political parties; every person who can contribute should be doing so.

The offer has been on the table (AFAIK) for the government to get the army to do more; for weeks now for Abhisit to do more, if the PM takes up that offer, then that hopefully will help manage the crisis more effectively.

yes, maybe the red shirts may be trying to milk things, yes maybe Thaksin is branding our donations as his own aid, yes maybe there are people on both sides spreading false rumours about Democrats/Yingluck/others...however the bigger person here needs to set that aside and do the right thing, for the good of the people. On the ground, there are people of all factions working together to distribute aid, and turning a blind aid to the blatant politisation of that. People need food, water, medicine....now.

If we are stuck with FROCwits like Plodprasob and Karun and Nattawut, whose combined expertise in flood crisis management is probably equivalent to an overflowing bath and who to date have proved unable to cope, then any extra assistance to the PM is both needed and appreciated.

To those who say it is too late; that's what some were saying in late august, when we saw the government not doing much and the amount of flooding upcountry and need for aid. The fact is, right now the real number of people in trouble is probably 7m+. It's too late to stop the waters, it's not too late to help fix the upcoming humanitarian crisis.

It takes teamwork, effort, and planning. The more brainpower, the more cohesion, the more cooperation....the better.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agreed with most of what you said, but I have strong reservations about criticisms about anyone's inability to perform here due to legal restrictions and ambiguities about authority. There were real divisions along political lines that both sides exercised, and a gridlock from that contrary climate is unavoidable. The BKK Gov even stated that the decree to invoke the natural disaster act gave him more authority, not less, to decide what water would be diverted where. I fully understand that real ambiguities in Thai language can make legal interpretations murky, English also has a problem in that category, but the loud declaration that he was not going to toe any line was obvious and laughable. Further, the water management monies from 2005-2010 were wasted on ineffective and "buddy bread" projects according to the office of the Auditor General.

In short, I will not exonerate or vilify anyone for being a black sheep in a herd composed entirely of black sheep. Picking a favorite is political punting, at best. An example close to home--in New Orleans, FEMA utterly failed. FEMA was led by a man appointed by that government whose only credential in disaster planning was that he ran very exclusive horse shows. A Mr. Brown. A complete, as we say, putz. Honestly, if every putz in government vanished in one night, half the world's administrators would be gone.

If called up, this disaster is bigger than politics, bigger than political parties; every person who can contribute should be doing so.

It's too late to stop it, it's not too late to help fix the upcoming humanitarian crisis.

+1

I have a horrible feeling that we will start to see the suffering rise exponentially fairly soon while the politicians of both sides keep trying to score PR points.

The American Ambassador has just revealed the numbers used by the Democrats and most NGOs but not acceptable to FROC regarding the level of crisis; insiders have been saying 7.5m affected not counting if Bangkok floods...FROC says 2.5m.

US Ambassador has now stated "Devastating floods have affected 9 million people in Thailand."

She has access to real information, and has made her decision on how many she thinks is true....and is not subject to the pressures that FROC is placing on NGOs and the media as occurred during the tsunami and bird flu (where facts were concealed, repackaged, not presented, hidden, etc).

The first step is accepting the degree of crisis. The next step is doing something about it.

Tlansford I cannot decide whether you don't understand how crisis management works, or you are attempting to subvert conversation regarding cooperation and work needed to ease the pain of this very real crisis.

As stated earlier, and from personal knowledge, there are many MPs and figures on both sides that are ready to drop all allegiances and work with ANYONE to try to help. Senior Democrats included.

The army can be made to help.

Foreign governments are willing to help.

What is missing is the clarity of planning and willingness to hand over control to a person who makes decisions and acts wisely with the experience to know how to manage a crisis. A good leader leads; a better leader finds the person most suited to leading each task, and gives control of tactics to that person; focusing on the overall strategy and plan needed overall.

Right now, Yingluck is obviously unable to perform. Perhaps working with Abhisit they can jointly. Better still....<deleted> hand it over to the army; they don't want it now because no one wants to accept the bag of dog poo after the dog has done its business, but they are the most qualified to manage things from here on in. And we pay them to accept the dog poo.

This Poo government needs all the help it can get; relying on distant relatives (distance wise) is a recipe for poo patpong curry. Now while many of us like Patpong and many like curry, that's not the dish we need to solve this crisis.

The offer has been on the table (AFAIK) for the government to get the army to do more; for weeks now for Abhisit to do more, if the PM takes up that offer, then that hopefully will help manage the crisis more effectively.

yes, maybe the red shirts may be trying to milk things, yes maybe Thaksin is branding our donations as his own aid, yes maybe there are people on both sides spreading false rumours about Democrats/Yingluck/others...however the bigger person here needs to set that aside and do the right thing, for the good of the people. On the ground, there are people of all factions working together to distribute aid, and turning a blind aid to the blatant politisation of that. People need food, water, medicine....now.

If we are stuck with FROCwits like Plodprasob and Karun and Nattawut, whose combined expertise in flood crisis management is probably equivalent to an overflowing bath and who to date have proved unable to cope, then any extra assistance to the PM is both needed and appreciated.

To those who say it is too late; that's what some were saying in late august, when we saw the government not doing much and the amount of flooding upcountry and need for aid. The fact is, right now the real number of people in trouble is probably 7m+. It's too late to stop the waters, it's not too late to help fix the upcoming humanitarian crisis.

It takes teamwork, effort, and planning. The more brainpower, the more cohesion, the more cooperation....the better.

BS you believe in fairies ill still believe in real world if she cared shed have asked for help when it could be useful not now its to late just to try and blame someone else I hope she and her red shirt thugs drown in floods but sadly they will just let poor drown while crying crocodile tears They really have not got an onz of decency amongst them Taksins lot I mean bah.gif

official state visit of newly elected PM in September

Actually, she left for Burma this month on October 5th.

The carnage at that point was already...

From the appropriately titled thread:

Thai Govt Should Have Tackled Flood Crisis Earlier: Experts

Death toll up to 237 now, but still waiting to hear how the Burmese gala dinner went.

Edited by Buchholz

Actually, she left for Burma on October 5th.

http://www.thaivisa...._p__4745643#top

Death toll up to 237 now, but still waiting to hear how the Burmese gala dinner went.

so which was a political gaff, that or Abhisit going to the Maldives this weekend?

so which was a political gaff, that or Abhisit going to the Maldives this weekend?

Both.... But she is actually supposed to be governing the country....................................................... was she, Is she? Have the generals of Burma given any aid?

Edited by thaicbr

I would say that the Prime Minister of Thailand (Thai: นายกรัฐมนตรีแห่งราชอาณาจักรไทย) who is the head of government of Thailand leaving during a crisis is a larger gaff.

Edited by Buchholz

I consider neither a political gaff. I find one reprehensible and the other irrelevant, I'll let you guess which is which.

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra may soon invite Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva to work as a team for flood control in the capital, Army chief General Prayuth Chan-ocha said on Thursday.

"I expect the prime minister to work with Abhisit - this is better than each side going different way," he said following a meeting with Yingluck,

Prayuth said all sides should join together in order to overcome the worst flood in Bangkok.

I'll believe it if it happens.

RIght. This was a NON-news article. It was imagining what would happen if anybody was willing to work with the senseless puppet PM.

But who wants to work with a power-hungry, low IQ dictator who seized control from the only guy who knew what he was doing and was talking sense -- the governor of BKK?

That showed anybody who was thinking of helping her what to expect.

The people are screwed big time and I am very sorry for everyone who is suffering as a result of this power play.

When the big money boys wrestle, the rest of us get trampled.

Edited by plumeria

The knee-jerk Thaksinophobes probably have no idea he spent last week in the Maldives. Not rumor, acknowledged by his spokesman. Some top secret flood meeting with the their president undoubtedly.

The Democrats said it was a long planned 3 day holiday. Was he missed?

Nope, but not politically astute to leave Thailand. Then again political acumen has never been a strength of Mr. Abhisit.

You are so right, he does not cry nearly enough to be considered a political heavyweight like you know who.... idiotic as usual Gk thanks for being consistent.

If Geriatric Kid is an idiot, it's hard to depth-fathom where YellowFeverCad's sentience lies :D .

Ontopic: Why are some posters trying to justify the main opposition party not needing it's CEO at the height of the country's worst crisis in half-a-century? Idiotic indeed.

Tlansford I cannot decide whether you don't understand how crisis management works, or you are attempting to subvert conversation regarding cooperation and work needed to ease the pain of this very real crisis.

All you have to do is follow his posts for a few days and you will see the term troll was coined with him in mind. Great for a laugh but little else...

Posters like Tlansford are everything that's right about the political debate on this forum: Genuine, honest debate from an honest political position. Trolls like you are everything that's wrong with it and are responsible for making these discussions a laughing stock among the Thai-centric international community.

I would say that the Prime Minister of Thailand (Thai: นายกรัฐมนตรีแห่งราชอาณาจักรไทย) who is the head of government of Thailand leaving during a crisis is a larger gaff.

Yingluk went to Burma for a few hours on an official government visit when the floods were still considered by most experts to be manageable. Abhisit went on a family break lasting several days just as his hometown and capital city (governed by his party) was about to be flooded. The latter is clearly a hugely larger gaffe.

Yingluk went to Burma for a few hours on an official government visit when the floods were still considered by most experts to be manageable. Abhisit went on a family break lasting several days just as his hometown and capital city (governed by his party) was about to be flooded. The latter is clearly a hugely larger gaffe.

and so soon after praising "Genuine, honest debate"

:rolleyes:

Yingluck was there longer than a few hours.

The flood was already in crisis with hundreds dead and millions affected at that point.

Yingluck is the head of government for the kingdom of Thailand and makes all the crucial decisions.

As Prime Minister, the whole of Thailand is her "hometown."

so much for your "clearly".

Edited by Buchholz

The flood was already in crisis with hundreds dead and millions affected at that point.

Yingluck is the head of government for the kingdom of Thailand and makes all the crucial decisions.

Flame ignored.

How many hours was Yingluk in Burma For, Buchholz? Was Abhisit in the Maldives for a few days before his hometown and Capital City was about to be flooded or wasn't he? Bangkok is governed by the Democrat Party. Abhisit is leader of the Democrat party and makes all the crucial decisions. But he went on holiday to another country when he was most needed.

Flame ignored.

How many hours was Yingluk in Burma For, Buchholz? Was Abhisit in the Maldives for a few days before his hometown and Capital City was about to be flooded or wasn't he? Bangkok is governed by the Democrat Party. Abhisit is leader of the Democrat party and makes all the crucial decisions. But he went on holiday to another country when he was most needed.

I note you've 'corrected another spelling mistake' :cheesy: since I typed my reply :rolleyes: .

Are you saying the Yongyuth (he is still the leader of the Peau Thai Party isn't he, or has he quit ... again) is making all the crucial decisions for the country?

Abhisit isn't the governor of Bangkok. He has no (official) say in what goes on in Bangkok.

Why was he "most needed" last weekend?

Geez, the way some people are clinging to Abhisit's weekend trip is pathetic. I'm quite awful at drawing cartoons so I'll have to write the description of what I would draw.

A man (identified as PTP supporter) is floating in the middle of the ocean, behind the SS Thailand is sinking and sharks are circling, he is clinging to a tiny peace of wreckage labeled "Abhisit's weekend trip" and exclaiming "I'm saved!"

Can you imagine the outrage if Abhisit had cancelled his trip because of the floods? His detractors would be screaming about his interference with the government's affairs.

Personally, I think he is in a no win situation, let them get on with it

The Maldives are widely-expected to disappear beneath the waves, as Global Climate Change takes effect, perhaps former-PM Abhisit was on a traditional-Thai-politicians' 'fact-finding tour', to see where Bangkok is also headed ? :lol:

But seriously, what does it matter if the former-PM takes a week-end off, as he isn't the one now responsible for leading the country, through the crisis. B)

The Maldives are widely-expected to disappear beneath the waves, as Global Climate Change takes effect, perhaps former-PM Abhisit was on a traditional-Thai-politicians' 'fact-finding tour', to see where Bangkok is also headed ? :lol:

But seriously, what does it matter if the former-PM takes a week-end off, as he isn't the one now responsible for leading the country, through the crisis. B)

indeed, there's nothing at all wrong with that... everyone needs a break afterall

The Maldives are widely-expected to disappear beneath the waves,

Only by people who read nothing more challenging than Greenpeace press releases.

The scientists have measured no dangerous sea level rises there, and the government privately agrees -- they recently launched a plan to build 11 (eleven) new regional airports in the country. Not for evacuating the population, I assume.

Abhisit deserves a break after the turmoil of the past year, and he'd be nuts to get involved with the flood fiasco.

Flame ignored.

I for one must say I am impressed by the U-turn you've done regarding Abhisit. Many of us saw him as one of the very few competent and trustwory politicians on the Thai political scene and it seems you've now come to the conclusion that his expertise is indispensible as well. Unfortunately the current government didn't see it your way and failed to heed his advice leading to still more deaths and suffering for the Thai people. They seem to have somewhat seen the error of their ways, like you did, and now have called him back in to consult again. It canot but help matters as they stand now.

Edited by serenitynow

I for one must say I am impressed by the U-turn you've done regarding Abhisit. Many of us saw him as one of the very few competent and trustwory politicians on the Thai political scene and it seems you've now come to the conclusion that his expertise is indispensible as well. Unfortunately the current government didn't see it your way and failed to heed his advice leading to still more deaths and suffering for the Thai people. They seem to have somewhat seen the error of their ways, like you did, and now have called him back in to consult again. It canot but help matters as they stand now.

i for one don't think he's indispensable and he definitely has something to offer...and even if his suggestions were not being used does that mean he should give up? and say to hell with it?! seems childish to me.

i can't see how much help he was for the country heading off to the maldives while his people suffer...whether "diplomatically' shaking hands, or shaking white sand off his feet, it doesn't matter... he should be there to show unity and empathy

you just don't sit on the beach while babylon burns... (a phrase of course...he could have been in alaska and i'd still have the same opinion of the move)

not sure if abhisit was trustworthy of no corruption, as i've no stone cold concrete evidence, not that it usually matters when bias overrules logic...*cough*

but he certainly didn't have the competence to stop members of his party from being corrupt... and the failure to admit ANY wrongful deaths at the hand of the army during 2010 is despicable, tho 'm open to correction if he clearly and adamantly admitted this.

and before the 'scapegoat reply' to avoid answering this claim...yes i do think thaksin was corrupt.

Edited by nurofiend

i for one don't think he's indispensable and he definitely has something to offer...and even if his suggestions were not being used does that mean he should give up? and say to hell with it?! seems childish to me.

i can't see how much help he was for the country heading off to the maldives while his people suffer...whether "diplomatically' shaking hands, or shaking white sand off his feet, it doesn't matter... he should be there to show unity and empathy

you just don't sit on the beach while babylon burns... (a phrase of course...he could have been in alaska and i'd still have the same opinion of the move)

not sure if abhisit was trustworthy of no corruption, as i've no stone cold concrete evidence, not that it usually matters when bias overrules logic...*cough*

but he certainly didn't have the competence to stop members of his party from being corrupt... and the failure to admit ANY wrongful deaths at the hand of the army during 2010 is despicable, tho 'm open to correction if he clearly and adamantly admitted this.

and before the 'scapegoat reply' to avoid answering this claim...yes i do think thaksin was corrupt.

So, you think Thaksin was corrupt but you've no evidence that Abhisit was untrustworthy or corrupt but still think a person would be biased to label him as trustworthy and not corrupt. Got it. Anyhow that's all off topic. I see it as a good thing he is working with the government at their request. Though I wish the request had come 2 months ago. I am nuch less concerned about the floods affects on bangkok than I am for the poor who have suffered from it for well over a month now. I believe that was largely avoidable.

The one thing we know for certain is that no one here will ever be held accountrable for anything. I'll bet we can agree on that much

So, you think Thaksin was corrupt but you've no evidence that Abhisit was untrustworthy or corrupt but still think a person would be biased to label him as trustworthy and not corrupt. Got it. Anyhow that's all off topic. I see it as a good thing he is working with the government at their request. Though I wish the request had come 2 months ago. I am nuch less concerned about the floods affects on bangkok than I am for the poor who have suffered from it for well over a month now. I believe that was largely avoidable.

The one thing we know for certain is that no one here will ever be held accountrable for anything. I'll bet we can agree on that much

well, do i consider lying as corruption? yes

do i believe that he's well aware that innocent civilians were killed during the 2010 protests? yes... to me. that's proof of corruption.

i'm not saying it was shoot to kill, and <deleted> them dirty red shirts, kill them all.... but for him to say that no innocent civilians were killed as a result of army error, is a blatant lie...he know's it, i know it and i should hope you know it.

lies are the foundation of corruption, as i said, if he adamantly admitted that the army murdered SOME/ANY completely innocent civilians without any allowance for a grey area in this acknowledgement, i'll completely withdraw my statement

as i said "he certainly didn't have the competence to stop members of his own party from being corrupt."

and if he wasn't aware of this going on, then he never deserved to be in office in the first place.... but my guess, is that he was fully aware.

if you don't think he was nay bit corrupt, then fine... i'm far beyond wasting my time trying to change the minds of the unchangeable.

i think both he and thaksin were corrupt, and i know i shouldn't have to state the obvious but corruption doesn't just mean lining your pockets

Edited by nurofiend

- snip -

"who me" posted this comparison a couple of times on page one/two of this thread. I responded because I didn't find it a reasonable comparison between a PM on an official function, literally 'next door' for a day trip and the opposition leader heading off for a long weekend on some holiday islands while a huge quantity of water surrounded Bangkok. I think the latter is actually a political gaff.

IMO anyhow...

No harm done, though, as so many stated in justifying his actions, it wasn't like he was needed anyway, and if you did, just text him, ...

:D

All you have to do is follow his posts for a few days and you will see the term troll was coined with him in mind. Great for a laugh but little else...

Posters like Tlansford are everything that's right about the political debate on this forum: Genuine, honest debate from an honest political position. Trolls like you are everything that's wrong with it and are responsible for making these discussions a laughing stock among the Thai-centric international community.

Thanks for the post Siam Simon - 9 out of 10 posts from YellowFeverCAD seem to serve no purpose except to insult others, so I tend to just let them be and ignore them.