Yingluck Vows To Save City’S Food Courts At All Costs

Boater

SATIRE

yingluck-shinawatra-flood-decison-300x200.jpg

FROC HQ, DON MUANG – The embattled Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra today defended the government’s policy of using all flood resources at hand to protect the nation’s economic heart – specifically, the many basement food courts of Bangkok’s downtown business district.

“If floodwaters of only half a meter reach Sathorn Road, flooding could cripple the weekday-luncheon infrastructure of the city,” she said. “We can’t let that happen.”

In the face of increased criticism over decisions to divert floodwater to Bangkok’s outer districts, and prolong the flooding in Ayutthaya and Nakhon Sawan, Yingluck insisted that the long-term outlook of the nation rested on preserving the economic engines that would drive recovery.

According to charts produced by the PM’s office, Bangkok’s downtown area is home to over 100 large office towers, most of them over 30 storeys high. While 99% of the buildings at risk would be untouched by floods and would even maintain power with light flooding, their basement food courts are considered high-risk zones.

“These food courts provide nourishment for thousands of non-executive office employees, not to mention income for many small businesses and an untold number of jobs,” explained Yingluck. “Without them, workers might have to walk across the street to eat lunch. We can’t put that kind of burden on our Bangkok workforce.”

She further said that although the sacrifice was painful, the loss of 14,000 inundated factories and several million rai of prime farmland was “a small price to pay” in the long run to protect what really mattered.

As a bonus to the food-court-first policy, she added that many of the capital’s best and most pleasant shopping malls would also be protected.

“The food court priority zone also encompasses Rajprasong, which holds our nation’s best indoor shopping destinations,” she said. “As long as Bangkok’s residents and top tourists continue to have a nice place to buy things, eat tasty food and see movies, the economy of our country will be secure.”

Although many people living outside Bangkok’s main flood walls continue their objection to the destruction of their homes and livelihoods to save the food courts and malls, many Bangkok residents have gravitated to the PM’s message.

“I’m impressed with her sensible outlook on the economy,” said Miaow Vongwatkul, a media buyer for ad agency Saatchi and Saatchi. “Our agency won three Cannes Gold Lions last year and did over Bt400 million in billings. A flooded food court in our building would be a real nuisance to our important work.”

With a new wave of northern floodwaters set to approach the capital this weekend, Yingluck has diverted three army battalions from rescue operations in Rangsit to reinforce the main barrier along central Bangkok’s northern edge, raising the wall to 4.5 meters.

When asked whether this would make existing flooded areas just get deeper underwater, including five key industrial estates that contribute massively to Thailand’s manufacturing-export economy, the PM reminded everyone to stay focused on the positives.

“Did I mention that the food court at [new mall] Terminal 21 is Caribbean-themed?” she asked. “It’s really neat.”

source - http://notthenation.com/2011/10/yingluck-vows-to-save-city%e2%80%99s-food-courts-at-all-costs/ :whistling:

A sensible approach given the hysteria around the city. Let's hope everyone can get to work tomorrow and enjoy their lunch as well!

Especially Bangkok Airways staff who I noticed weren't answering their phones yesterday...I hope everyone is OK.

Let's thank the Lord that the best malls would be protected. Who knows what would happen if some of the richest people in Asia, along with the CPB, faced some losses to the pocket!

Excellent input from the Saatchi and Saatchi rep, too. We all know how hard it is to win awards when there's a major catastrophe, hopefully this will enable them to keep sending those invoices.

Top job all round.

Let's thank the Lord that the best malls would be protected. Who knows what would happen if some of the richest people in Asia, along with the CPB, faced some losses to the pocket!

Excellent input from the Saatchi and Saatchi rep, too. We all know how hard it is to win awards when there's a major catastrophe, hopefully this will enable them to keep sending those invoices.

Top job all round.

So if one sees something floating by that looks cheesy would it be a hamburger from the food court or something from Nana plaza?

Edited by losworld

Ermm, i think you'll find if you all look at the article that it's from "NOT the Nation"

so it has an element of slapstick attached to it before you all get too serious about it.

notthenation, FROC or the MP's in general? :lol:

so half the nation is under water - over 300 dead - all to protect the sandwitch bars and shoe shops and shopping malls in Bangkok - is she for real or what

After making a statement like that, if it is true of course, then it would appear apart from being her big Brothers voice piece,she is positively deranged if she considers country wide devastaion and deaths is a small price to pay to save food courts in the capital.

explained Yingluck. "Without them, workers might have to walk across the street to eat lunch. We can't put that kind of burden on our Bangkok workforce."

its probably a bad translation but just seems funny with all the other troubles

BK

I feel saddened for the suffering of Thai people at the moment with nearly 400 dead, 2.5million homeless and things are getting and will get a hell of a lot worse before they get better.

What has to be taken into consideration is YINGLUCK privileged upbringing, She is after all a lady of leisure. butter would not melt in her mouth.

Unbelievable!

It makes me want to cry.

cheesy.gif

me too !, i havent tried that new Caribbean-themed place Yingluck was on about, and if it is good enough for her taste buds, then i am there.....

I love Caribbean food especially "Jerk Chicken in mango sauce"

I'll definitely be going to check that food court out when the water levels are safe. wink.gif

• 1 month later...

Dont get much of a chance to reply as some people know by now I'm offshore so yo will see me replying to stuff i ain't seen for----?.

The girl was admitted to hospital lately with food poisoning, possibly stress brought on with tummy upset, look give her a chance life is to short, wait this could be her DAY and Thailand's.

After making a statement like that, if it is true of course, then it would appear apart from being her big Brothers voice piece,she is positively deranged if she considers country wide devastaion and deaths is a small price to pay to save food courts in the capital.

It's satire you id*#t! :lol: