Bangkok Refugees Overloading The Place

jombom

There are people from Bangkok everywhere, many of them middle class with families etc.

A few cute people have arrived but they all look so serious, dressed in Bangkok Black with a hint of gold, and 500 baht hairdos.

On the coast we are more chilled out. Will they acclimatise ?

Around here most condo blocks have a ban on pets, yet many of the visitors have brought their mooches with them, and appear to have no problem.

I suppose the mooches are refugees too.

Ah well, they will all ( or most) be gone back, in a few weeks time.

But it's amusing watching the Hi-So chicks trying to book rooms in semi bordellos. The locals find it really funny.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

-- I'm sure most of these folks are the "yellow shirt" folks who can afford to stay in hotels; meanwhile think of the average Bankok Thai who can't afford to stay in a hotel but has to mooch off a relative or stay in some tent ... I know a cleaner at my office who now has about 3 families living with her. Poor thing can't afford to feed them. Luckily I found out and gave her some baht to take care of them. I'd rather help out this way than to donate good and have it sit some where in a ware house.

I've got a family of five arriving this afternoon who I barely know - their daughter is a sales rep for a company I once did some business with. They can't find (and most likely afford) hotels. I do hope they are house trained!

Any thoughts on how to deal with this? I don't want them to treat my maid as their maid - should I set some ground rules when they arrive about cleaning up after themselves and doing their laundry etc? Plan to send them off to buy their Thai food at the local market with my maid when they arrive. I have cupboards full of western food to last me 3 weeks. My reason for asking is Thai seem to have a remarkable sense of entitlement that I need to keep in check if my own food is going to last this out.

I've got a family of five arriving this afternoon who I barely know - their daughter is a sales rep for a company I once did some business with. They can't find (and most likely afford) hotels. I do hope they are house trained!

Any thoughts on how to deal with this? I don't want them to treat my maid as their maid - should I set some ground rules when they arrive about cleaning up after themselves and doing their laundry etc? Plan to send them off to buy their Thai food at the local market with my maid when they arrive. I have cupboards full of western food to last me 3 weeks. My reason for asking is Thai seem to have a remarkable sense of entitlement that I need to keep in check if my own food is going to last this out.

I hope you are not their maid. Treat them good and they stay for ever. Remember this will make you wife happy andthat is what we are for.

Edited by harryfrompattaya

-- I'm sure most of these folks are the "yellow shirt" folks who can afford to stay in hotels; meanwhile think of the average Bankok Thai who can't afford to stay in a hotel but has to mooch off a relative or stay in some tent ... I know a cleaner at my office who now has about 3 families living with her. Poor thing can't afford to feed them. Luckily I found out and gave her some baht to take care of them. I'd rather help out this way than to donate good and have it sit some where in a ware house.

Well done....People who can afford a cheap hotel room=rich=yellow shirt=evil.

The communists are barking again.

I hope you are not their maid. Treat them good and they stay for ever. Remember this will make you wife happy andthat is what we are for.

Bloody hell. there's eight of them!

A little sad this post. The poster has a chance to become real friends with a Thai familily who will without doubt repay his generosity in giving them a few square metres of floor many times over. Sadly his atitude already seems to show this will not be the case.

Edited by harrry

What is wrong with you!!! :realangry: :realangry: :realangry:

A little sad this post. The poster has a chance to become real friends with a Thai familily who will without doubt repay his generosity in giving them a few square metres of floor many times over. Sadly his atitude already seems to show this will not be the case.

What's sad.. He is allowing virtual strangers to live in his house.. It is not unreasonable to lay down some ground rules 1st when they get there to alleviate any problems later on.. lets face it they MAY be there for weeks.

Good on you Barry.

A bit judgemental.

I sms'd a few Bangkok contacts (mostly employees of companies I have dealt with) yesterday to offer my home if they needed shelter from BKK. Sure - I live in my priveleged expat bubble in large house with pool. I've never lived so close to locals before and was hoping for some constructive advice on how to make them comfortable without being overly taken advantage of. I scarcely know these people (arriving in 1-2 hours), except the daughter who helped on some technical issues in her role as technical after sales support for her BKK employer.

Do I have to tell the parents to ask their kids not to piss in the pool?

Should I organise a separate cooker for them so they can cook their food?

Get an extra fridge? (mine is full of western food)

Set some ground rules about them receiving visitors to the house?

My maid is a real gem and I don't want them to treat her as their skivvy/ maid. I'm quite aware of how status concious some Thais are.

Any other advice?

Personally i would get the maid to sort out things. It's your house. tell the maid what you are happy with and get her to police it.

if you have access to a 2nd fridge and cooking things then that's a good idea. I would definitely set ground rules as soon as they get there. again it's your house. Think of what you are happy with.

I take it you have spare bedrooms.. you are going to need a tv in there to keep them occupied otherwise you will be watching all the dire thai soups on your big screen tv in the lounge.

Good luck.

Sounds like you are in for an interesting experience. I've had Thais staying with me a few times. They will stand on the toilet seats and break them, move all the furniture so they can eat on the floor, breaking ornaments as they do it, empty your fridge throwing away what they don't like, cigarette burns on tables and beds, drink your best whisky and piss in the garden. And they won't want to leave. I got around this by finding them jobs to around the house and garden. This soon got them to pack up and go back to Essarn!

Sounds like fun . Don't be surprised if they push the dinning table aside put some newspapers down and eat altogether on the floor . If that happens get a few bottles of beer in and sit down with your guests and enjoy the experience . If there are bairns make a little den for them out of chairs with blankets hung over them . Extraordinary times call for extraordinary preparations . Good on ye Barry .

good luck you going to need it, you are rich farang they are entitled to anything that is yours. ground rules yes but re-emforced every day

I think it's good.

Many Bangkokians who would not have DARED to come 'down to' Pattaya before are now forced to and will be able to build their own opinion. With so many beer bars ripped down to earth recently (Soi 1 etc.) their shock will be limited unless they hit one of the entertainment areas 'by accident' (or admitted curiosity).

So at the end, many might come again - I have seen many Bangkokians doing exactly the same thing during the last 1-2 years, as Pattaya's face has remarkably changed - apart from the roads still filled with potholes and the police m*fia of course (but then, they also have that in Bangkok 8-))

cheers,

p.

Padlocks and hasps on your cupboard doors :lol:

Yes, set ground rules. It is your place and they should be dam_n grateful you are letting them stay. They should take care of themselves, clean up after themselves and do their own laundry, cooking and everything.

They are displaced people, not invalids !!

Some very judgmental comments here, luckily I don't have to stay with you!

Well done OP for giving people a home, if they are educated Bangkokians they will be respectful!

"pepi" since when have been Bangkok people been afraid of Pattaya? get real man!

Sounds like you are in for an interesting experience. I've had Thais staying with me a few times. They will stand on the toilet seats and break them, move all the furniture so they can eat on the floor, breaking ornaments as they do it, empty your fridge throwing away what they don't like, cigarette burns on tables and beds, drink your best whisky and piss in the garden. And they won't want to leave. I got around this by finding them jobs to around the house and garden. This soon got them to pack up and go back to Essarn!

Thank God my wifes familly are buisness people ,they behave just like us westerners,(all except her mum who at 70 odd still prefers to sleep on the floor . :)

good luck you going to need it, you are rich farang they are entitled to anything that is yours. ground rules yes but re-emforced every day

They seem like a nice bunch. There's a five your old girl who's a bit wary, but can't be much fun seeing your local streets and home under water. The landlords nosey "managing agent" (German) who lives two doors away has kicked up a fuss about having eight Thais in the house - &lt;deleted&gt;! I live alone in a six bedroom house with my maid in her maid's house in the garden. I told him to <snip> off and gave a month's notice to leave to sweeten the pill. Plenty of empty houses in the same mooban for the same or less money.

They seem quite happy on three double mattresses in two rooms, I offered to move downstairs and give them the first floor with four bedrooms, but they seem OK as they are. Jeez, that neighbour is a prize to55er sometimes.

Edited by metisdead
Expletive removed.

I am sure things will work out fine. Thais in general are loverly people. As you live on your own apparently it may take some getting used to having people there who will always try to involve you in their activities. I am sorry if I upset you previously. I thought youu were just posting how generous you were and how hard done by you would be with the refugees. It seems by this last post I was mistaken in that impression,

Good luck.