Bangkok Refugees Overloading The Place

jombom

It's very easy to be considered a bad driver when you're in a new city you don't know. Recently I toured Australia by road and visited many towns and cities I was unfamiliar with and I'm sure I would have been bothering impatient locals from time to time - it's totally unavoidable.

Baloney. Many of the (sadly displaced) people who have recently re-located to our area are Bangkok City drivers- they drive extremely aggressively and impolitely here. This is totally avoidable (you're at the beach now- it's ok to "chill out" a bit... like the locals). And, it's a big, unpleasant and dangerous side-effect of the unfortunate situation in Thailand/Pattaya at present.

B)

You're entitled to your opinion, but bear in mind that you may be the one talking "baloney". In this particular case it's quite likely. The reason being is that what I stated is so obviously the truth. Try driving in an unfamiliar city and see how many errors you make trying to find your way around. You will be conceived by locals as being a bad driver but in reality you just don't have a clue where you are going.

Edited by tropo

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Baloney. Many of the (sadly displaced) people who have recently re-located to our area are Bangkok City drivers- they drive extremely aggressively and impolitely here. This is totally avoidable (you're at the beach now- it's ok to "chill out" a bit... like the locals). And, it's a big, unpleasant and dangerous side-effect of the unfortunate situation in Thailand/Pattaya at present.

B)

have I been in a coma??? since when was anyone on Pattaya's roads chilled out :lol:

The comment was absurd. Pattaya drivers are the opposite of "chilled out". They're aggressive, impatient and extremely dangerous. Either Michaelway was in a coma or he was joking.

it isn't even that Pattaya drivers are aggressive or impatient, many simply can't drive. So many Pattya drivers have never heard of turn signal, or simply looking in a side mirror before changing lane or making a turn. Pattaya drivers drive like they were alone in an open field, typical Pattaya driver doesn't seem to be aware that they are not the only car on the road. Bangkok drivers know how to drive. They do make sharp cut offs, they keep very short distance to car in front of them, but they don't drive like a blind people. Typical Honda City driver in Pattaya drives like a blind girl. In Pattaya the newer the car, the more unpredictable the driver. Maybe if there was some sort of drivers exam, a test of some sort before people get a drivers licence and are allowed to drive, it would be less hazardous to be in the road here

^ There is a driving test, imagine what it would be like without!

The average Thai drivers order of importance is making noise and looking cool B)

The bigger and noisier the exhaust or blaring stereo - stay clear

Edited by CGW

it isn't even that Pattaya drivers are aggressive or impatient, many simply can't drive. So many Pattya drivers have never heard of turn signal, or simply looking in a side mirror before changing lane or making a turn. Pattaya drivers drive like they were alone in an open field, typical Pattaya driver doesn't seem to be aware that they are not the only car on the road. Bangkok drivers know how to drive. They do make sharp cut offs, they keep very short distance to car in front of them, but they don't drive like a blind people. Typical Honda City driver in Pattaya drives like a blind girl. In Pattaya the newer the car, the more unpredictable the driver. Maybe if there was some sort of drivers exam, a test of some sort before people get a drivers licence and are allowed to drive, it would be less hazardous to be in the road here

It's amazing how some think you can determine the difference between Pattaya and Bangkok drivers. I think it's nonsense to differentiate. They're all crazy drivers and it IS because they are aggressive and impatient.

The reason: Very little traffic law enforcement.

It would be exactly the same in your home country if they didn't clamp down on illegal activities. The Pattaya police are obsessed with stopping motorcycles and leave the cars to do as they please. They really can't stop cars because there is nowhere to pull them over on most streets which are all too busy and narrow - so they're left alone. Perhaps they're worried about the drivers pulling out guns too.

They really can't stop cars because there is nowhere to pull them over on most streets which are all too busy and narrow - so they're left alone. Perhaps they're worried about the drivers pulling out guns too.

and besides, car drivers are not required to wear a helmet, so even if the cops pull them over, where's the profit in that??

Tropo, as busy and intense as Bangkok traffic is, it has it's logic, there are rules. Pattaya traffic is just random

Edited by valgehiir

They really can't stop cars because there is nowhere to pull them over on most streets which are all too busy and narrow - so they're left alone. Perhaps they're worried about the drivers pulling out guns too.

and besides, car drivers are not required to wear a helmet, so even if the cops pull them over, where's the profit in that??

Tropo, as busy and intense as Bangkok traffic is, it has it's logic, there are rules. Pattaya traffic is just random

You guys cannot be serious.... go on Sukhumvit or anywhere east of Suk and the cops stop just as much, if not more, cars/trucks as motorbikes, they dont care if they block a road to get their money, whilst a motorcycle can usually get away with a 200 Bt "donation" they very rarely let a car/truck go for less than a purple note!!

Driving in the "wrong" lane is top of the charity list, seat belts, big wheels, blah blah blah ...... far more opportunities than just not wearing a helemt!!

Quite funny to see them all up at the sports stadium car park around 4 pm divvying up the days take!!:lol:

Be afraid, be very afraid! Many people from Bangkok now get first hand experience of our lovely city. Its not only refugees who come here but also plenty working folks and middle/upper class people who are pissed off with their flooded city. They now find that this place is not all that bad. Many of them are now contemplating to make this their new base. Cheap accomondation, short travel to Suvanabumi by car ( for those who can afford) or by bus and then hop on the skytrain to work. Not much, if at all, longer then how they are used to commute when living in Bangkok. Plus, better quality of life for the family.

One only has to look at our roads the last few days to see how overloaded the place is already. Worst case scenario is that we havnt seen the full extent yet and if my fears are confirmed by tens of thousands people from Bangkok settling here permanently, well that will be the end of Pattaya as we know it. Paradise lost???

Paradise lost? what on earth have you been taking? drama lessons :whistling:

Have you not noted that every weekend for the past 25 years plus the population of Pattaya doubles, hate to tell you, they are the dreaded Bangkokians! with there noisy cars and poor driving skills.

Bangkok folks have been the lifeblood of Pattaya many times over the years, when nobody else was interested in the place! and probably own over 95% of Pattaya? B)

Yet we cant join together and welcome them? :realangry: Just want them to return to a wet life in the city of Angels :blink:

No need to patronize me! I am fully aware of the tradional weekend congestions. Except this time: Every day is a weekend!

Also, your facetious implication that I wish refugees under hardship back to their wetlands is totally uncalled for!:angry:

All I know is its a traffic crush out there again! Since apparently, central Bangkok is predicted to food at some point soon, the Bangkok refugees are staying put.

I'll be in this weekend.

On or off topic :) I noticed many Bangkonians (aka. water hoarders) leaving the place where I stay this morning. I am sure most of us will be sad to see them leave partytime2.gif

Looks like they are moving to FarangBuddha-land from Awohalitsiktoli-land.

I've noticed a lot more law enforcement in the CBD areas of Bangkok.

Yesterday in Pattaya the traffic seemed nearly back to normal. Perhaps I was just lucky at the times I chose to travel.

Edited by tropo

You guys cannot be serious.... go on Sukhumvit or anywhere east of Suk and the cops stop just as much, if not more, cars/trucks as motorbikes, they dont care if they block a road to get their money, whilst a motorcycle can usually get away with a 200 Bt "donation" they very rarely let a car/truck go for less than a purple note!!

Driving in the "wrong" lane is top of the charity list, seat belts, big wheels, blah blah blah ...... far more opportunities than just not wearing a helemt!!

Quite funny to see them all up at the sports stadium car park around 4 pm divvying up the days take!!:lol:

Relax! I was talking about Pattaya and specifically about the main tourist areas where there are usually no areas to pull over cars.

I have been here for a handful of the last high seasons and have never seen so much traffic as there is now, never ever. And it insanely dangerous, the majority of Thai motorcycle drivers think the rear view mirrors are for checking their make-up/applying lipstick and never look over their shoulder when changing lanes. Most Thais become dangerous homicidal maniacs once behind the wheel of a car, and sorry to say many farang drivers,whom should know better, adopt these bad habits.

It was worse years ago, one could go 180kph down the beach road on a superbike, 220+ on the original north pattaya road, now its bumper to bumper and boring, much safer now, yes there are more old Farangs on motorcycles who have never ridden before they hit 65 then take the plunge in Pattaya, but overall, I would say it was worse years ago.

Motorcycles in the hands of the inexperienced are the biggest pain in the azz in Pattaya, old Farangs should be banned from motorcycles and be made to walk or pay for taxis.

Motorcycles in the hands of the inexperienced are the biggest pain in the azz in Pattaya, old Farangs should be banned from motorcycles and be made to walk or pay for taxis.

Agreed. Most Thais drive motorbikes far better than the stupid farangs. I see a farang on a bike, I make sure to stay away from him. And then there's the walking out into the middle of a street or intersection w/o looking . . . .

BTW, Thai driving is wonderfully safe, polite, and skillful compared to Vietnamese driving. You ain't seen nothin' as crazy as the driving in Hanoi or HCM. See youtube for examples. If you get frustrated w/ Thais, just compare them to Vietnamese to feel better.

I think vacationing Arabs are the worse ones on their rented powerbikes - watch out. By the way, so we ever see how many motorcycle accidents /deaths there are ...aren't they reported.?

me too

they need a big bike though to compensate for small equipment................allegedly

I will add from the other side. My wife and son were evacuated more than a week ago in rising flood waters. A few phone calls activated the "village network", and a relative living in pattaya was shortly contacted, she and her farang husband freely offered up the spare bedroom to my missus, her sister and two kids (one mine, one the sisters). My family turned up after a 12 hour journey (from western bangkok!) with one bag each. They were warmly welcomed and made at home. They stayed a week, and have now gone back to the village up country not to impose further.

I, and I am sure many others, are deeply grateful for those who have offered a haven in this time of considerable stress and disruption.