Bangkok Refugees Overloading The Place

jombom

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I live alone in a six bedroom house with my maid in her maid's house in the garden. I told him to <deleted> off and gave a month's notice to leave to sweeten the pill. Plenty of empty houses in the same mooban for the same or less money.

Good for you! :thumbsup:

+1 Good man !

I understand from my friend in Pattaya that among the refugees from Bangkok there are a fair number of young ladies who work in the "Entertainment Industry". With floods disrupting the high season and the general dearth of customers for the Pattaya beer bars and Gogo clubs I think this is liable to produce a fair amount of friction with the local working girls. The supply and demand ratio looks set for a fair amount of disruption over the next week or two!

I've got a family of five arriving this afternoon who I barely know - their daughter is a sales rep for a company I once did some business with. They can't find (and most likely afford) hotels. I do hope they are house trained!

Any thoughts on how to deal with this? I don't want them to treat my maid as their maid - should I set some ground rules when they arrive about cleaning up after themselves and doing their laundry etc? Plan to send them off to buy their Thai food at the local market with my maid when they arrive. I have cupboards full of western food to last me 3 weeks. My reason for asking is Thai seem to have a remarkable sense of entitlement that I need to keep in check if my own food is going to last this out.

I hope you are not their maid. Treat them good and they stay for ever. Remember this will make you wife happy and that is what we are for.

Bloody hell. there's eight of them!

A little sad this post. The poster has a chance to become real friends with a Thai family who will without doubt repay his generosity in giving them a few square metres of floor many times over. Sadly his attitude already seems to show this will not be the case.

Harrry

Now let me see if I have this right.

Originally he was expecting 5 people and now there are 8, a 60% increase.

That means That BarryM needs to provide and extra lot of space, bedding etc.

Do you think that it might have been polite for that Thai family to mention that 3 more people would be arriving before turning up on the doorstep?

We are waiting for my wife's family to come up from Bang Na in BKK and depending if her Dad wants to come there may be her middle brother, wife and son, younger brother though he may stay with Dad, elder brother with my wife's niece and possibly her boyfriend and of course my wife's nephew is already here.

Now, just out of curiosity how many people from BKK will be staying with you?

I understand from my friend in Pattaya that among the refugees from Bangkok there are a fair number of young ladies who work in the "Entertainment Industry". With floods disrupting the high season and the general dearth of customers for the Pattaya beer bars and Gogo clubs I think this is liable to produce a fair amount of friction with the local working girls. The supply and demand ratio looks set for a fair amount of disruption over the next week or two!

:rolleyes: There's always one.

Good on yer BarryM, top bloke.

Now isn't it sad that this question has to be asked here on Thaivisa ?

Good man BarryM !!!!!!!!

Yermanee :jap:

I wasn't asking BarryM who has said how many he will be putting up but harry or harryfrompattaya.

Hopefully the reduction in market price of some things will offset the increased prices for others. Aren't markets wonderful things?

Good man BarryM !!!!!!!!

I wasn't asking BarryM who has said how many he will be putting up but harry or harryfrompattaya.

Sorry,

My post wasn't aimed at you.

I was referring to the mainly negative comments from most of the posters on this topic.

Sorry again

Good man BarryM !!!!!!!!

Sorry,

My post wasn't aimed at you.

I was referring to the mainly negative comments from most of the posters on this topic.

Sorry again

OK Sorry about the reaction.

Well, they are starting to chill out a little. Like a chameleon they have changed colour, so as to blend in. The Bangkok black has been dropped from the wardrobe, and we are now treated to more pastel shades. Some of them are getting the message, that we do not give 2 hoots about Bangkok superiority airs, and they would be better off getting used to it.

Well, they are starting to chill out a little. Like a chameleon they have changed colour, so as to blend in. The Bangkok black has been dropped from the wardrobe, and we are now treated to more pastel shades. Some of them are getting the message, that we do not give 2 hoots about Bangkok superiority airs, and they would be better off getting used to it.

What exactly are you talking about....Bangkok airs ????, read the thread... Barry has opened his house from the good of his heart and seems to be getting on well, These people have been flooded out of their home , Barry steps in cos of a slight business contact in the past.. now you say cos they are from BKK they have to change their so called airs ? why do you assume they have any ? from Barry's post's all seems good..why can't people like you just see the good in the whole thing ?

Congratulations to the OP for one of the most ridiculous and offensive posts I've ever read.

In answer to his question, "will they chill out?"

Yes, when the flood waters have receded, they've cleaned up their houses and neighborhood, repaired their houses and the infrastructure of the city has been repaired and returned to normal and they've finally recovered from the repair cost.... and in some cases when they have recovered from grieving the death of their family members or friends.

Many months or even years down the track for many before they finally "chill out". It would take most of us a long while to "chill out" too.

What did you expect? They're not here on vacation.

I have encountered some of our 'visitors' from Bangkok in the shops and round town, my experience is they are very polite, friendly, well dressed and always have a smile if you make eye contact with them.

Given their terrible circumstances I don't find them up tight at all just ordinary people doing the best they can in difficult circumstances.

I am sure we all wish them a speedy relief from their suffering and a quick return to their normal lives.

I have encountered some of our 'visitors' from Bangkok in the shops and round town, my experience is they are very polite, friendly, well dressed and always have a smile if you make eye contact with them.

Given their terrible circumstances I don't find them up tight at all just ordinary people doing the best they can in difficult circumstances.

I am sure we all wish them a speedy relief from their suffering and a quick return to their normal lives.

here, here, raise my glass to that

me too

i agree with you 100%

nicely put......

I really do wish they would go back to bkk! I didn't even think they liked Pattaya and they looked down their noses at us?? What's changed then?

Because of these refugees I can no longer get a place in my car park, that I pay for, cannot get what I usually get in seven and other local stores etc, the roads are full of cars, and to top it all off I have a load of them next door in my condo making a racket at all times of the day.

Water or no water, please go home and leave Pattaya to the people that actually DO want to be here.

Rant over!

Bangkok motorists add danger to Pattaya's roads

PATTAYA: -- The vast number of cars bearing Bangkok plates seen around the town recently, as well as many from all over Central Thailand, bear witness to Pattaya's popularity as a safe haven from the floods.

The city's roads are now increasingly busy and increasingly dangerous, as many of the new drivers, especially some of the ones with Bangkok licence plates, are even worse than Pattaya's usual bunch of maniacs.

Some of the new guests display terrible driving skills, have no consideration for others on the roads, and they routinely carry out downright dangerous maneuvers, regardless of traffic or pedestrians around them.

Bangkok driver favourites seem to be blocking junctions by ignoring "do not block" hatchings, and zooming up on the inside lane and cutting into lines of traffic with millimeters to spare, as well as (today) seeing one come to a dead stop on Central Road as he talked on a telephone ignoring the horns and flashes of blocked, irate drivers.

Re; "Bangkok Refugees": TMT (too much traffic)!

Re; "Will they chill out?": <deleted> (too many crazy drivers), Chuck?!

B)

PATTAYA: -- The vast number of cars bearing Bangkok plates seen around the town recently, as well as many from all over Central Thailand, bear witness to Pattaya's popularity as a safe haven from the floods.

The city's roads are now increasingly busy and increasingly dangerous, as many of the new drivers, especially some of the ones with Bangkok licence plates, are even worse than Pattaya's usual bunch of maniacs.

Some of the new guests display terrible driving skills, have no consideration for others on the roads, and they routinely carry out downright dangerous maneuvers, regardless of traffic or pedestrians around them.

Bangkok driver favourites seem to be blocking junctions by ignoring "do not block" hatchings, and zooming up on the inside lane and cutting into lines of traffic with millimeters to spare, as well as (today) seeing one come to a dead stop on Central Road as he talked on a telephone ignoring the horns and flashes of blocked, irate drivers.

B)

It's very easy to be considered a bad driver when you're in a new city you don't know. Recently I toured Australia by road and visited many towns and cities I was unfamiliar with and I'm sure I would have been bothering impatient locals from time to time - it's totally unavoidable.

B)

It's very easy to be considered a bad driver when you're in a new city you don't know. Recently I toured Australia by road and visited many towns and cities I was unfamiliar with and I'm sure I would have been bothering impatient locals from time to time - it's totally unavoidable.

Baloney. Many of the (sadly displaced) people who have recently re-located to our area are Bangkok City drivers- they drive extremely aggressively and impolitely here. This is totally avoidable (you're at the beach now- it's ok to "chill out" a bit... like the locals). And, it's a big, unpleasant and dangerous side-effect of the unfortunate situation in Thailand/Pattaya at present.

B)

B)

Baloney. Many of the (sadly displaced) people who have recently re-located to our area are Bangkok City drivers- they drive extremely aggressively and impolitely here. This is totally avoidable (you're at the beach now- it's ok to "chill out" a bit... like the locals). And, it's a big, unpleasant and dangerous side-effect of the unfortunate situation in Thailand/Pattaya at present.

B)

have I been in a coma??? since when was anyone on Pattaya's roads chilled out :lol:

Be afraid, be very afraid! Many people from Bangkok now get first hand experience of our lovely city. Its not only refugees who come here but also plenty working folks and middle/upper class people who are pissed off with their flooded city. They now find that this place is not all that bad. Many of them are now contemplating to make this their new base. Cheap accomondation, short travel to Suvanabumi by car ( for those who can afford) or by bus and then hop on the skytrain to work. Not much, if at all, longer then how they are used to commute when living in Bangkok. Plus, better quality of life for the family.

One only has to look at our roads the last few days to see how overloaded the place is already. Worst case scenario is that we havnt seen the full extent yet and if my fears are confirmed by tens of thousands people from Bangkok settling here permanently, well that will be the end of Pattaya as we know it. Paradise lost???

Be afraid, be very afraid! Many people from Bangkok now get first hand experience of our lovely city. Its not only refugees who come here but also plenty working folks and middle/upper class people who are pissed off with their flooded city. They now find that this place is not all that bad. Many of them are now contemplating to make this their new base. Cheap accomondation, short travel to Suvanabumi by car ( for those who can afford) or by bus and then hop on the skytrain to work. Not much, if at all, longer then how they are used to commute when living in Bangkok. Plus, better quality of life for the family.

One only has to look at our roads the last few days to see how overloaded the place is already. Worst case scenario is that we havnt seen the full extent yet and if my fears are confirmed by tens of thousands people from Bangkok settling here permanently, well that will be the end of Pattaya as we know it. Paradise lost???

I think you fears are overblown and that as soon as the waters have receded, they will all be returning home. Sure, a few might decide they like the place enough to buy a vacation home or condo but that won't do anything than provide a small lift to a rather moribund property market.

Paradise lost? what on earth have you been taking? drama lessons :whistling:

Have you not noted that every weekend for the past 25 years plus the population of Pattaya doubles, hate to tell you, they are the dreaded Bangkokians! with there noisy cars and poor driving skills.

Bangkok folks have been the lifeblood of Pattaya many times over the years, when nobody else was interested in the place! and probably own over 95% of Pattaya? B)

Yet we cant join together and welcome them? :realangry: Just want them to return to a wet life in the city of Angels :blink:

Edited by CGW