Sukhumbhand Finds Predictions Of Bangkok Flooding 'Inconceivable'

webfact

Sukhumbhand finds predictions of capital flooding 'inconceivable'

Pravit Rojanaphruk

The Nation

In a move to play down the government's nightmare scenario for the capital and ease panic, Bangkok Governor MR Sukhumbhand Paribatra met with 500 business leaders yesterday to tell them that it was "inconceivable" that all of Bangkok would be inundated and the entire population would have to move out.

"I respect the government's assessment but as the administrator [of Bangkok] I cannot accept it," Sukhumbhand said. "I will limit the flood area as much as I can. Don't lose heart. I don't think the flooding will be severe in all parts of Bangkok. Do not panic. We are monitoring the situation and our work is second to none.

"At this stage, there is no indication that all districts in Bangkok will be flooded heavily," he said, referring to predictions from both the government and experts saying that many parts of the capital will be under at least a metre of water.

Sukhumbhand jokingly said that water was unpredictable, like a "lady".

"Sometimes water just disappears, but then it can also reappear. I'm not trying to be provocative, but only fortune-tellers can know for certain. Will the water reach central Bangkok? I don't know."

The governor added that the government would have to make a "strategic decision" on how to handle the run-off from the north, which is beyond the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration's jurisdiction.

He later told reporters that he was worried about drainage pipes backing up into homes and in the streets.

Admitting that the volume of water on its way to Bangkok is "most unprecedented", Sukhumbhand added that the capital had never been better equipped to deal with excessive flooding in its entire history.

He explained that Bangkok had 6,000 kilometres of drainage pipes, 158 pumping stations, 21 water catchments and more than 200 sluice gates. Plus, he said, there were seven giant water tunnels that are 5 metres in diameter and can drain up to 155 cubic metres of water per second.

However, he admitted that these measures were not enough if the situation became critical, especially over the weekend. He said ideally the flood barriers along Chao Phraya River should be raised by another 10 centimetres, but that would require another 10 million sandbags, which could not be obtained at this stage.

After Sukhumbhand left, some business leaders said they were not convinced.

Chai Srivikrom, president of the Ratchaprasong Square Trade Asso-ciation and owner of Gaysorn Plaza luxury mall, said he had become even more worried after listening to Sukhumbhand's speech.

He said many foreigners had asked him if it was safe to travel to Bangkok, but he was unable to answer.

"How long will the floods remain? Will we be under a metre of water for a month? How will people survive? Does the BMA have any system of distributing food, maintaining sanitation, looking after people's health and safety?" Chai asked.

He added that one of his friends had to leave his home in Pathum Thani's Muang Ake housing estate, only to find out later that his house was being occupied by strangers.

Another woman, who did not identify herself, sounded even more frustrated. "What if the worst-case scenario does take place? What happens if the BMA hasn't prepared for the worst? Is your prediction based on old data?" she asked.

However, the audience had to leave the forum without getting any of these questions answered.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-10-28

The reality is Thailand has always had floods and Thai people are used to it. In more modern times inner city Thais have lost this connection to the past and have not made enough privisions for flooding. A good example of this was filling in the area traditionally used for diverting water round Bangkok for the new airport, which was designated a flood diversion zone by one of the Thai kings. Taksin was warned about this when building the airport, but chose to ignore the traditional wisdom.

This is reminder that as Thailand modernises it still needs to make provisions for flooding.

"Sometimes water just disappears, but then it can also reappear. I'm not trying to be provocative, but only fortune-tellers can know for certain. Will the water reach central Bangkok? I don't know."

How leaders can inspire confidence in their electorate! People voted for him?????

Edited by msg362

mistakes with dams some few months ago were made and now bangkok has to pay the price.

some parts, like suvarnapoom and south parts, will be saved, but the rest will suffer for a few weeks.

that doesn't mean citisens have to leave, people in townhouses and in the apartment would be able to survive for many weeks, but all living in the one story houses have to move to safety. Better to be prepared for any eventuality, than be surprised the fast unfolding events.

not longer than 2 days ago the governor predicted all 50 bangkok's districts will be flooded, now he changes his tune.

Edited by londonthai

mistakes with dams some few months ago were made and now bangkok has to pay the price.

some parts, like suvarnapoom and south parts, will be saved, but the rest will suffer for a few weeks.

that doesn't mean citisens have to leave, people in townhouses and in the apartment would be able to survive for many weeks, but all living in the one story houses have to move to safety. Better to be prepared for any eventuality, than be surprised the fast unfolding events.

not longer than 2 days ago the governor predicted all 50 bangkok's districts will be flooded, now he changes his tune.

Actually, that was changed to "all 50 districts need to be ready".

"not longer than 2 days ago the governor predicted all 50 bangkok's districts will be flooded, now he changes his tune. "

2 days is a LONG TIME in a flood situation like this. And most Thais believe in fortune tellers so i would not worry to much about that.Very often in the English reporting things are lost in translation.

If it wasn't for the work the he and the BMA have done then BKK would be underwater already.

Edited by thaicbr

I think the government is now in an impossible situation. If central Bangkok is flooded it will be a catastrophe. But if it's only light flooding they will be criticised for an over reaction. This will surely cause a backlash from business leaders and the opposition.

"only fortune-tellers can know for certain."

Perhaps the most intelligent thing uttered by Bangkok Dancing Bear. I loved his comment regarding the huge drain that was dug under BKK - you remember: a Japanese company reported that it had to bribe several BKK officials to get the contract, and that BKK investigated and didn't find anything wrong. Regardless, he mentioned that the drain does not work, and will never work. However, he continued, there are 3 more drains that are being dug right now, and all of them will work properly. I'm sure he misspoke. What he intended to say was "the 3 new drains will work as good as the first one".

Actually, that was changed to "all 50 districts need to be ready".

I was under the impression that this episode was mostly the fault of the media. Maybe less than an hour after the announcement that "all 50 districts will be flooded" was relayed, I started to see corrections on twitter saying that it meant "all 50 disctrict offices need to be prepared".

I think the government is now in an impossible situation. If central Bangkok is flooded it will be a catastrophe. But if it's only light flooding they will be criticised for an over reaction. This will surely cause a backlash from business leaders and the opposition.

I don't think anyone would argue that you can't be too prepared for a threat of this magnitude.

Personally I think the governor has got it right- yes, parts of Bangkok will flood, but thus far Central Bangkok remains bone dry. Areas that were predicted to flood, such as Lad Phrao, Chatujak, Mor Chit, etc are still dry. And in some parts of town that were flooded the water is already receding.

Of course we're not out of the woods yet!

Stay vigilant, but please don't panic :jap:

"only fortune-tellers can know for certain."

Perhaps the most intelligent thing uttered by Bangkok Dancing Bear. I loved his comment regarding the huge drain that was dug under BKK - you remember: a Japanese company reported that it had to bribe several BKK officials to get the contract, and that BKK investigated and didn't find anything wrong. Regardless, he mentioned that the drain does not work, and will never work. However, he continued, there are 3 more drains that are being dug right now, and all of them will work properly. I'm sure he misspoke. What he intended to say was "the 3 new drains will work as good as the first one".

You have any links to substantiate this story?

"The governor said he has instructed all 50 districts to be prepared for flooding and expressed concern for 13 specially at-risk areas along the Chao Phraya River, as well as districts in northern and eastern Bangkok, including Lad Krabang, Nong Chok, Min Buri, Khlong Sam Wa, Khan Na Yao, Bang Khen, Sai Mai, Don Mueang, Chatuchak, and Bang Sue."

He didn't change his tune. Bangkok will still be flooded, but 13 districts along the river are of special concern.

Posted Today, 06:18

Sukhumbhand finds predictions of capital flooding 'inconceivable'

“However, he admitted that these measures were not enough if the situation became critical, especially over the weekend.”

Surely, he has the subject and object the wrong way round in this sentence. If his flood prevention measures are not enough then the situation will become critical.

“He said ideally the flood barriers along Chao Phraya River should be raised by another 10 centimetres, but that would require another 10 million sandbags, which could not be obtained at this stage.”

Understatement – what good English.

"Don't lose heart. I don't think the flooding will be severe in all parts of Bangkok. Do not panic. We are monitoring the situation and our work is second to none."

Clearly someone doesn't know what this statement means, "second to none", HA!

"Sometimes water just disappears, but then it can also reappear. I'm not trying to be provocative, but only fortune-tellers can know for certain.

Clearly this man doesn't know what his responsibility is (Hopefully will be was). Fortune tellers, I sure hope that this isn't where he is getting his information from, maybe this is why he couldn't answer many of the audience's questions.

Admitting that the volume of water on its way to Bangkok is "most unprecedented", Sukhumbhand added that the capital had never been better equipped to deal with excessive flooding in its entire history.

I hope that this information came from the spin doctors, because if it came from the fortune tellers, then we are in real danger.

Note to all, I am well bedded down in our house, we have enough supplies for the duration of this event, we will not be leaving our house to be robbed and plundered.

What on earth kind of statement was that, did you just waken from a long sleep or something, "Bangkok has to Pay the Price" ???????

Well let me bring you up to date my long sleepy friend, the people that have already paid the price are almost 400 dead and several million people

in an area 1/3 the size of the whole of Thailand who have been displaced and had their lives totally destroyed over the last 5 weeks

Bangkok has paid nothing so far and if it does - by comparison will be very little.

In other words: "I am 100% certain, that I am not certain, whether there will or will not be a flood covering all or nothing at all of Bangkok and if the flood does come, I am certain that BKK is flooded and if the flood doesn't come am certain about that also. "

How about those "smarties knowing everything" here in the farang community coming up with a proper drainage and emergency plan, so far I have mostly read heaps of BS of blown up egos!

Well said. Most farangs on here are only capable of making stupid comments. That is the sum of their life.

The gov are damned if they do damned if they don't.

I think the BK governor is probably now saying too much which always leads to contradictions and misconceptions.

Incidentally I can remember wading through 1m floodwater in Ploen Chit lower Sukhumvit back in the late 80's so nothing new and obviously little done since then by successive governments.

How leaders can inspire confidence in their electorate! People voted for him?????

this is a classic its all down to fortune-tellers who know for certain who will be flooded