Just Arrived!

Rusticvilla

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Help is needed to find the true expat living in Thailand."

You probably find them in expensive lounges , clubs, restaurants, hotels, etc - often on corporate accounts.

You sound to me a British-educated Thai brat who tends to look down on normal people.

On top of that, expats who "make their money here" can be just as isolated from the local culture as any retiree who hangs out in English & Irish bars. Unless of course making one's money here here means earning a Thai wage and subsisting on that - expats who do that are certainly the most enlightened people that you'll find in Thailand and well worth seeking out.

Edited by OriginalPoster

You probably find them in expensive lounges , clubs, restaurants, hotels, etc - often on corporate accounts.

You sound to me a British-educated Thai brat who tends to look down on normal people.

Definitely uneducated American - he talks about prices in dollars :whistling:

Yes, I have noticed that. Perhaps it's intentional?

Not many Americans spell favorites as fovourites.

Many British remark on the exchange rates but not many Americans do. When the op comments on the exchange rates he (intentionally) put the dollars ahead of pounds.

The op is proficient in the English language but he doesn't sound like a native-English speaker to me.

Of course I could be wrong but the underlying meaning of the statement I have made does not change.

I am a expat who has retired here because I like the country and the people. The money is not a issue. I put in the time and th effort to get here. I don't complain about the exchange rate and I certainly don't want to meet you.

Life is to good here to wast on narrow minded people. Ulysses G had it right on for you.

Agreed. Who needs the negativity. Perhaps he should return to Bangkok.

I'm sorry if I came across a little bit harsh, but I say what I see. I have stayed with 2 families over the last week. One in Hang Dong and one in Sansai. Both families were very nice, but the local expats had nothing to say but moan. I didn't mind, you expect that every where, but these people where only referencing things that would be important to expats. I didn't come here to eat pizza and go down to the local pub for quiz nights. I bought a bowl of food yesterday for my dinner, it cost 2 dollars. How can you complain at that. I thought by going out of the main tourist traps, would help me discover how to live the Thai way. But because my language skills are very poor, I was directed to the nearest westerner, who assured me that the pizza and Mcdonalds were very good in Thailand. I might not meet many friends here, but if they want to come to Thailand and sit in English or Irish pubs eating pizza, burgers, french fries and pies and then have the nerve to tell me how expensive it is getting towards the dollar or the pound.I don't want to meet anyone.

Help is needed to find the true expat living in Thailand. If I wanted the above, I would have stayed at home.

You claim and I quote you

"I thought by going out of the main tourist traps, would help me discover how to live the Thai way."

Then you go on to say and again I quote you

"Help is needed to find the true expat living in Thailand"

You make no sense. You have met true expats living in Thailand you didn't like them and you figure by meeting a true expat you can learn the Thai way of living. Sounds to me like you have all ready found Loi Kroh road

Or perhaps he should try Udon Thani. I understand there is an Udon bound bus leaving tomorrow.

Edited by venturalaw

I am a expat who has retired here because I like the country and the people. The money is not a issue. I put in the time and th effort to get here. I don't complain about the exchange rate and I certainly don't want to meet you.

Life is to good here to wast on narrow minded people. Ulysses G had it right on for you.

+1

Or an uneducated Australian, Canadian, New Zealander, or perhaps someone uneducated from any one of the following countries that also use dollar to describe their currency: Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Brunei, Dominica, El Salvador, Fiji, Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, Kiribati, Liberia, Namibia, Nauru, St Kitts and Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Singapore, Solomon Islands, Surinam, Taiwan, Trinidad and Tobago, Tuvalu, or Zimbabwe. But then again, maybe he's just another uneducated American, as the man said.

Or an uneducated Australian, Canadian, New Zealander, or perhaps someone uneducated from any one of the following countries that also use dollar to describe their currency: Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Brunei, Dominica, El Salvador, Fiji, Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, Kiribati, Liberia, Namibia, Nauru, St Kitts and Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Singapore, Solomon Islands, Surinam, Taiwan, Trinidad and Tobago, Tuvalu, or Zimbabwe. But then again, maybe he's just another uneducated American, as the man said.

Here here. And let's also not forget that Shakespeare used the word dollar before the inhabitants of the Americas were speaking English. Talking of which, a US citizen recently told me that Spanish is now the national language of USA.

Here here. And let's also not forget that Shakespeare used the word dollar before the inhabitants of the Americas were speaking English. Talking of which, a US citizen recently told me that Spanish is now the national language of USA.

In all seriousness, I have heard that in something like 50 years Spanish will indeed be the most common language in the USA. I'm ready, now all I have to wish for is another 50 years; that's 50 años, not to be confused with 50 anos.

Many British remark on the exchange rates but not many Americans do. When the op comments on the exchange rates he (intentionally) put the dollars ahead of pounds.

The op is proficient in the English language but he doesn't sound like a native-English speaker to me.

Of course I could be wrong but the underlying meaning of the statement I have made does not change.

Could be Canadian or Australian. If Canadian he could be French Canadian. My money is on him being a Australian.

Could be Canadian or Australian. If Canadian he could be French Canadian. My money is on him being a Australian.

I, kind of, regret that I had speculated on who the OP could be. But I resent the statement he has made: you should not be living in Thailand; such statement is often made by some Thai brats who are Western educated when unprovoked. Some expats and I have lived here longer than the age of those who would say such. Granted, we don’t speak Thai as well but we didn’t move here when we were kids.

Anyway, he may just be a troll like other posters here have pointed out. If he is indeed one he is probably laughing his a_s_s off when we are speculating on who he might be. So, we just judge by the manner he presents himself and feed him what he deserves.

p.s: Been watching the flooding conditions in Bangkok particularly around my Bangkok house. Got permission from my wife to buy a case of beer (price had increased a bit…gouging?) so I can stay alert to guard our fort should anything happen. So far so good!

Now this sounds like a guy who is a lot of fun. He doesn't want to spend time with any expats but only true expats. He doesn't want to sit with any complaining expats. So you can go and have a beer with him so you can listen to him "complaining about expats" so he doesn't have to listen to a "complaining expat". Sounds like a win win situation for everyone. Isn't it interesting how floods flush out the rats:)

No your wrong, Aussies spell Favourite with an "A" not an "O" as suggested Fovourite. I would tend to learn to the yanks as they are the one that butchered the original english language and spelling.:rolleyes:

We could run a sweep on this.

Edited by chooka

'would help me discover how to live the Thai way.'

If you're not Thai there is no way on God's great Earth that you can 'live the Thai way'.

Just be yourself,

that's all you nee to do.

or he could stay away from expats and move into a traditional hilltribe village, learn the language cultivate the fields and butcher his own meat etc. No better way to discover how to live the thai way.

Op, for the record - though you sound like a troll - a 'true' expat would perhaps be one on a big corporate package living in luxury in a high-rise condo in the capital - probably into Nana/Cowboy girlie scene, Western pubs, big shopping malls, and though they may speak Thai, they couldn't be farther from the Thai way of life. Not that, you say. Well, sounds like you're looking for the 'gone native', which you ain't gonna find in a tourist city. Suggest heading east and plonking yourself in a remote village on the plain. Give us a shout when you do find what you're looking for, and the inevitable been-there-done-that, now give me a burger!

Op, for the record - though you sound like a troll - a 'true' expat would perhaps be one on a big corporate package living in luxury in a high-rise condo in the capital - probably into Nana/Cowboy girlie scene, Western pubs, big shopping malls, and though they may speak Thai, they couldn't be farther from the Thai way of life. Not that, you say. Well, sounds like you're looking for the 'gone native', which you ain't gonna find in a tourist city. Suggest heading east and plonking yourself in a remote village on the plain. Give us a shout when you do find what you're looking for, and the inevitable been-there-done-that, now give me a burger!

Or better still; when you find what you are looking for don't bother returning to tell us anything because we are far better off without people like you bothering us.

'would help me discover how to live the Thai way.'

If you're not Thai there is no way on God's great Earth that you can 'live the Thai way'.

Just be yourself,

that's all you nee to do.

Well he could learn to live the Thai way by going to live in a village with the hill tribe people.

Problem with that is it would be real Thai's teaching him to live the Thai way not real expats.:jap:

Yes 'Rusticvilla" you might be unaware (as many people are when the type things rather than say them) that you are coming across as quite rude. Do you mean to be that rude? As it stands I wouldn't talk to you. Good Bye... Mike

You left out Ecuador.

You left out Ecuador.

All I know is what I read on the computer...a vulnerable way to live. You're right, the US dollar replaced the sucre notes in March of 2000, and is now legal tender in Ecuador.

You left out Ecuador.

All I know is what I read on the computer...a vulnerable way to live. You're right, the US dollar replaced the sucre notes in March of 2000, and is now legal tender in Ecuador.

As long as we're compiling a complete list of where the troll might be from by using "dollars", add these to the list:

East Timor

Hong Kong

Panama