Suzuki Hayate Troubles

ClareQuilty

A friend of mine has a few years old Suzuki Hayate.. strong bike, engine is strong, not many kilometers. However, for a year or two now it has had a dangerous problem - it will often 'race', to the point where he can barely control the bike. Sometimes it doesn't do this, but other times it will be racing for weeks - very hard to drive.

One time when I was on the back we overturned because of this racing engine (inherently much more dangerous on an automatic than a real bike).Anyway, of course he has had it into various motorbike dealers and repair shops about once a month for the last year, and each time they just 'adjust' the bike. Sometimes it is better for a while, sometimes no change. A few times after the adjustment the bike ran too low and would always die at stop lights.

So, I'm wondering - what could be the problem with this bike. These 'modern' bikes, particularly automatics, aren't my cup of tea.. I'm clueless.

Edited by ClareQuilty

I had a similar problem with my old Hayate, the cause was the accelerator cable was getting water into it and it had started to fray due to the corrosion. replacement cable was plastic coated and the guy at Suzuki said it was common on the earlier ones hence they went to the improved cable.

I had a similar problem with my old Hayate, the cause was the accelerator cable was getting water into it and it had started to fray due to the corrosion. replacement cable was plastic coated and the guy at Suzuki said it was common on the earlier ones hence they went to the improved cable.

HMM.. thank you Spoonman, I'll pass this information to my friend immediately and see if it helps.