Bangkok Flood Satellite Image

melsnet

@MJCM

I travelled the road from Bangkok to Chonburi this afternoon and could see absolutely no water in places where it shouldn't have been.

It is an area with numerous irrigation ponds and other deliberate bodies of water, but none of the klongs were over their banks, and even the Bangpakong river was well under control.

Chonburi town was so hot and dusty you would think there was a drought on.

The only chance of Chonburi flooding is if Yingluck chooses it as her new Flood Operations HQ -- the water seems to follow her around.

EDIT: In short, that BBC satellite image looks rather overblown -- maybe a Photoshop job.

Edited by RickBradford

It is simply a re-coloured capture of the following website (which was linked to in this thread last Sunda):

http://cernunosat05....ch/gp/flex/tha/

@MJCM

EDIT: In short, that BBC satellite image looks rather overblown -- maybe a Photoshop job.

It's definitely overblown - if you zoom into Suvarnabhumi, you'll notice both runways are apparently flooded. This hasn't changed since the weekend...

@MJCM

I travelled the road from Bangkok to Chonburi this afternoon and could see absolutely no water in places where it shouldn't have been.

It is an area with numerous irrigation ponds and other deliberate bodies of water, but none of the klongs were over their banks, and even the Bangpakong river was well under control.

Chonburi town was so hot and dusty you would think there was a drought on.

The only chance of Chonburi flooding is if Yingluck chooses it as her new Flood Operations HQ -- the water seems to follow her around.

Exactly what I thought as I travelled from Bangkok to Pattaya last week and there were no signs of flood. A lot of the area around Bangkok and heading to Chonburi is fish/shrimp and salt farms and rice paddy so you would expect to see a lot of water there normally. Obviously the BBC doesn't know this and their 'Man in Bangkok' has probably never left the Press Club Bar.