Landlords Gouging Flood Victims With High Rents: Thailand

webfact

A post has been removed as a poster had deleted quoted post headers as he had reached the maximum number of nested quotes allowed leading to misunderstanding of who posted what. When deleting quoted posts to meet the nested quotes criteria, be careful so as to delete individual posts while keeping the quote headers intact. When replying to certain parts of a post, learn how to use the Insert quotation feature, just copy the content you wish to respond to and paste the content in between the quote brackets.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Price gouging is a pejorative term referring to a situation in which a seller prices goods or commodities much higher than is considered reasonable or fair. In precise, legal usage, it is the name of a crime that applies in some of the United States during civil emergencies. In less precise usage, it can refer either to prices obtained by practices inconsistent with a competitive free market, or to windfall profits. In the Soviet Union, it was simply included under the single definition of speculation.

The term is similar to profiteering but can be distinguished by being short-term and localized, and by a restriction to essentials such as food, clothing, shelter, medicine and equipment needed to preserve life, limb and property. In jurisdictions where there is no such crime, the term may still be used to pressure firms to refrain from such behavior.

The term is not in widespread use in mainstream economic theory, but is sometimes used to refer to practices of a coercive monopoly which raises prices above the market rate that would otherwise prevail in a competitive environment.[1] Alternatively, it may refer to suppliers' benefiting to excess from a short-term change in the demand curve.

As a criminal offense, Florida's law[2] is typical. Price gouging may be charged when a supplier of essential goods or services sharply raises the prices asked in anticipation of or during a civil emergency, or when it cancels or dishonors contracts in order to take advantage of an increase in prices related to such an emergency. The model case is a retailer who increases the price of existing stocks of milk and bread when a hurricane is imminent. It is a defense to show that the price increase mostly reflects increased costs, such as running an emergency generator, or hazard pay for workers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Price_gouging

So Thais are complaining they are being "Faranged" wonder if the irony of someone charging more because of who you or the situation sinks in on them?

The situation being addressed is an entirely different context from what you are referring to. But what the heck- It is an opportunity to spin it into some Thai bashing, so step right up and have a ball ;)

'travelmann' timestamp='1319844222' post='4803895'

Hm many problems here I too have been asked " have you got a room for a month"

My fear is

they move in not only themselves but 5-6 other people into a studio room , dont want to pay a big deposit and then dissapear after the month leaving my room destroyed, what they want is a room at a 12 month price for 1 month, well it aint hapening in one of my units :whistling:

You want to stay a month your'e gonna pay a 3 month price.

Its people like you that are making this situation so bad. And if you are a westerner then its DEFINITELY people like you that make the rest of us look bad.

Why could you not just do the same price and take a larger deposit???

People are in hard times here.

I would love to have encountered you on my travels to find a condo after my house flooded>

I agree entirely what an unpleasant person he is. Albeit I live on Koh Samui, I have several fully furnished westernised houses for rent and I am happy to let the two bedroom houses for 10K per month and the single bedroom houses for 7K per month for two months for flood victims if that helps anyone, plus a security deposit in case of damage. This is in some cases is a 50% reduction on the normal rent, as a goodwill gesture to those who are having an unpleasant time of it due to the floods. I would want proof that you are a flood victim either by producing your House Blue Book or a copy of your Lease Contract in Bangkok, showing your address. Hopefully ThaiVisa will allow those in need to contact me (they have my phone number) so that I can help in this small way, but could be quite critical to someone stranded in BKK. Sorry I am not nearer to BKK, but if you have the means to get here, we will do our best to take good care of you until the floods recede. I also hear this morning of a Family member who is buy a truck full of bottled water and is off to BKK to sell them for 150 baht each. They were surprised to hear how disgusted I am that they consider it good business to profit from those who are in desperate times - the nature of some members of the human race, I am sorry to say>

What kind of gesture of goodwill is that? These people want to pay 2500 a month? You think 10K a month is a gesture of Goodwill? You think a 50% reduction on already inflated rental prices is good? If your neighbour is buying water in bulk and driving all the way from Koh Samui to Bangkok to sell it, taking two or three days in the process, do you think he will make a vast profit? And if he does, then so what, he is getting off his arse to make money for him and his family. Just like you charge tourists over the odds to stay in your properties. Hell, I am a bit short of cash this month, can I come and stay for a 60% discount? Why not, have you no compassion man? If you want to help these people then why not let them stay in your properties for free? Now that would be a gesture of good will. There are a lot of sycophants on this thread.

Gentleman Jim

Do you know the price of real estate in Samui???

Obviously not.

This is a nice gesture and I can think of one or two that would be happy to take it. And likely becomes friends for life with him too. They just haven't decided to come this way or not yet.

Getting a 20-30,000 baht place for 10K a month is a great deal, especially when so many are gouging left and right... And this IS the opposite of gouging. He's just not doing it firesale.

And not everyone wanting to escape Bangkok is looking to live in 2,500 baht lodgings on any day.

You can find 3,500 baht lodgings on Samui, but they will be like 2,000 baht lodgings in Bangkok or Chaing Mai

Edited by animatic

The folks complaining are ones that see rentals go from 2000 to 3000 baht. Those in support of them please let a family of 6 into your home for 60 baht a day and then maybe the example you set will persuade us all to do the same. Alternatively, how about the Government sort out some proper relief and shelter and aid for their citizens. Do you think Thai landlords are offering discount rentals? I bet they were the first to increase them. If you want a property for 12 months it may cost you 2000 baht a month, if you want it for 3 months it will set you back 2500-3000 a month. Simple, common and standard business practice.

Animatic

:D

You can find 3,500 baht lodgings on Samui,

but they will be like 2,000 baht lodgings in Bangkok or Chaing Mai

Well that proves the point exactly doesn't it. So why is a 2000 baht rental in Bangkok the same as a 3500 in Samui, can you enlighten us on the mechanics of that one.

Edited by GentlemanJim

The theory of price gouging was invented by politicians, those who wish to win favor with the public by spending/dispensing private (other people's) capital/money. It is not an economic theory.

Also from wikipedia:

Nobel prize winner Milton Friedman said "We economists don't know much, but we do know how to create a shortage. If you want to create a shortage of tomatoes, for example, just pass a law that retailers can't sell tomatoes for more than two cents per pound. Instantly you'll have a tomato shortage. It's the same with oil or gas."

It should say some people are gouging! We are open and free to all affected at our Inn for as long as it takes in Pattaya! All rooms are 2 room suites and comes with 15 new Thai friends. New Slogan: Pattaya City of Angels wink.gif ( We have been full since yesterday.) They were falanged in a good way!

Good on ya. It is refreshing to read after BigRick's "Kick em when they're down" post.

My fear is

they move in not only themselves but 5-6 other people into a studio room , dont want to pay a big deposit and then dissapear after the month leaving my room destroyed, what they want is a room at a 12 month price for 1 month, well it aint hapening in one of my units :whistling:

That's disgusting you will charge someone 3 months rent for a one month stay. Talk about exploiting people in desparate times. You make all the thai scammers look like angels. Bet you have a great time counting your money whilst people are treading water.

i think they call this supply and demand.

I think its pretty unfair to change the rent price at a time like this for EXISTING lease contracts.

Lets face the truth here, this is a dog eat dog society and money is god, thought before this it was only farangs that were fair game to be ripped off, here in Hua Hin the merchants are just the same bottled water has gone up 35% as the stores run out, eggs have doubled in price in the local market today 60 baht for ten last week 30 baht and so it goes in the miracle land of smiles.

And do you think that they will lower their prices when things are back to more normal? If they have seen that they can sell the products at inflated prices now?

That's disgusting you will charge someone 3 months rent for a one month stay. Talk about exploiting people in desparate times. You make all the thai scammers look like angels. Bet you have a great time counting your money whilst people are treading water.

What's disgusting about that? Even when it's not flooding most places charge 2x-3x for short stay rentals. Why should someone rent a condo out for a month and forgo someone potentially renting under a 1-year lease?

An exploitative practice would be illegally raising rents on people under a contract or attempting to evict people through price controls.

This has nothing to do with eggs, rice or higher fees due to gasoline pirce increase.

This is not about business and making money. The people are in tough times, hotels at the moment are dropping their prices by upto adn over 70% for flood affected people.

Its so simple to just ask for a higher deposit and get their I.D so that you have record of their whereabouts if they do pi** off.

If cards were in the other hands I wonder what the ones overpricing would be saying?

My wife's relatives recently finished refurbishing after their rental property was burned down by tenants who then fled. She has had the police on the case for 3 months, with copies of their ID cards.. That is the end of my story.

The relative has a property used for renting but did not have it insured? Think I leave any comments on that.

And do you think that they will lower their prices when things are back to more normal? If they have seen that they can sell the products at inflated prices now?

Of course they will lower the prices when supply increases and demand withers. This is not complicated.

Btw, when you let prices rise, it is more likely that those who truly need the goods are the ones to buy them. Example. Let's say I have stocked a bunch of food but I see some food selling at it's normal price. I might as well purchase it as I could end up needing it and either way I will have to buy it next month. Now, say that the food is raised by 500%. I won't buy it at that price but the bloke who has only two packs of instant noodles left to eat will be happy to pay that price.

The relative has a property used for renting but did not have it insured? Think I leave any comments on that.

There is always opportunity cost: your deductible, legal costs, having your capital tied up waiting for rebuild, higher future insurance premiums, loss of time and energy.

No matter how veiled the insinuations are, do not go there.

2) Not to express disrespect of the King of Thailand or anyone else in the Thai royal family, whether living or deceased, nor to criticize the monarchy as an institution. Speculation, comments and discussion of either a political or personal nature are not allowed when discussing HM The King or the Royal family. Discussion of the lese majeste law or lese majeste cases is permitted on the forum, providing no comment or speculation is made referencing the royal family. To breach this rule will result in immediate ban.

One post removed.

The folks complaining are ones that see rentals go from 2000 to 3000 baht. Those in support of them please let a family of 6 into your home for 60 baht a day and then maybe the example you set will persuade us all to do the same. Alternatively, how about the Government sort out some proper relief and shelter and aid for their citizens. Do you think Thai landlords are offering discount rentals? I bet they were the first to increase them. If you want a property for 12 months it may cost you 2000 baht a month, if you want it for 3 months it will set you back 2500-3000 a month. Simple, common and standard business practice.

Animatic

Well that proves the point exactly doesn't it. So why is a 2000 baht rental in Bangkok the same as a 3500 in Samui, can you enlighten us on the mechanics of that one.

Why?

Because it is an Island. It has increased costs of all things because of transport distance from Bkk and ferry fees. etc.

It is also a resort Island and as such all things are a percentage higher, as is typical in all resort areas world wide. Not because it is a special price for the disaster.

I have worked at 65,000 baht a night villas,

and seen to girl / housemates get in an argument with each other, and one bought out the others 'house split' for 7,000 baht... yes the 'house' cost 14,000 baht total, to build / own, not to rent. So there are all levels of accommodation here. 1,500 to 6,000 a night is pretty typical here. But you can find 290-350 as night in several less convenient or upscale (noisy) places.

But basic 1 bedroom houses renting for 10,000 baht and 1st last deposit are not unusual at 3 month leases. 20-30k a month for the same is also quite normal.

Edited by animatic

So Thais are complaining they are being "Faranged" wonder if the irony of someone charging more because of who you or the situation sinks in on them?

I'm sure the irony went right over their heads. :-)

Maybe the complaints are born from a guilt-complex for supporting the two-tier Thai/farang pricing system throughout the land, especially national parks? whistling.gif

well, I guess I have to mind my manners, it is people like you, could use more colourful language, that make human beings the scum of the world. Money over humanity is the cause of every problem in this world, the root cause is greed period, and you my friend, are the proof. Gouging is the topic of this and how people turn into scum sucking animals when the opportunity arises. People are homeless and in need of help, food and water are scarce, children are hungry and scared and heartless people who put their own greed above a human in need will get their dues. Yin and yang. You have done the yin and I hope with all my heart that yang comes to see you soon.

My fear is

So why don't you send him the deposit for 10 rooms and you'll get it back if all 1-month tenants have left them undamaged when this is over?

well, I guess I have to mind my manners, it is people like you, could use more colourful language, that make human beings the scum of the world. Money over humanity is the cause of every problem in this world, the root cause is greed period, and you my friend, are the proof. Gouging is the topic of this and how people turn into scum sucking animals when the opportunity arises. People are homeless and in need of help, food and water are scarce, children are hungry and scared and heartless people who put their own greed above a human in need will get their dues. Yin and yang. You have done the yin and I hope with all my heart that yang comes to see you soon.

My fear is

So why don't you send him the deposit for 10 rooms and you'll get it back if all 1-month tenants have left them undamaged when this is over?

All this talk about bigger deposits solving the problem.

Get real folks. dry.gif

Do you know how hard it is to get back a deposit in Thailand? Admittedly, it'll probably solve the immediate problem for you (getting a dry place to stay), but don't count on a high ethical standard from your price-gouging new landlord to cough up your money at the end of the rental/lease period. You can count on him feeling less-magnanimous when you leave, than when he fleeced you at the start.

Here, always consider a deposit something to be kissed-goodbye forever. In other words, never put up a deposit bigger than you're willing to lose.

Edited by Fookhaht

Animatic

Why?

Because it is an Island. It has increased costs of all things because of transport distance from Bkk and ferry fees. etc.

It is also a resort Island and as such all things are a percentage higher, as is typical in all resort areas world wide. Not because it is a special price for the disaster.

and seen to girl / housemates get in an argument with each other, and one bought out the others 'house split' for 7,000 baht... yes the 'house' cost 14,000 baht total, to build / own, not to rent. So there are all levels of accommodation here. 1,500 to 6,000 a night is pretty typical here. But you can find 290-350 as night in several less convenient or upscale (noisy) places.

But basic 1 bedroom houses renting for 10,000 baht and 1st last deposit are not unusual at 3 month leases. 20-30k a month for the same is also quite normal.

So you accept that when things are more difficult to get to then it is ok to have a price hike? So when people are delivering water to Bangkok from Samui, then they are expected to charge the normal price for a bottle of water when they eventually sell them on. When people send a truck to Laos to collect water and eggs, they can't put the prices up, yet it is ok to do so on Samui. Why is it ok to charge 3500 baht on samui when the same property is 2000 baht in Bangkok? I even have to pay to get over to Samui myself in addition. The reason it is more expensive is simple...market forces and tourism.

My family moved to a flat in Pattaya that charges 80,000 for a three-bedroom flat per month. We're paying a discounted rate of 30,000 a month.

Well it sounds over priced in the first place. Be assured the owner will not be taking a 50K baht loss. They will still be making a profit, or your family know someone in their family. Either that or it was already paid for and had a last minute cancellation. Whatever the reason I am glad you feel you got a bargain and that your family are safe and dry. With all those rooms it sounds as if you could offer a few of them up to some needy poor families that you don't know from bangkok.

Edited by GentlemanJim

Totally untrue. We've never had any troubles getting back the amounts owed to us. Its simple, abide by the contract, keep things clean, don't break anything, etc. I think there are too many people not following the contract they agreed to, and then complaining that they didn't get their deposit back

BTW, asking for a large deposit is not price gouging, its about securing your investment.

My fear is

Get real folks. dry.gif

Do you know how hard it is to get back a deposit in Thailand? Admittedly, it'll probably solve the immediate problem for you (getting a dry place to stay), but don't count on a high ethical standard from your price-gouging new landlord to cough up your money at the end of the rental/lease period. You can count on him feeling less-magnanimous when you leave, than when he fleeced you at the start.

Here, always consider a deposit something to be kissed-goodbye forever. In other words, never put up a deposit bigger than you're willing to lose.

Totally untrue. We've never had any troubles getting back the amounts owed to us. Its simple, abide by the contract, keep things clean, don't break anything, etc. I think there are too many people not following the contract they agreed to, and then complaining that they didn't get their deposit back

BTW, asking for a large deposit is not price gouging, its about securing your investment.

Get real folks. dry.gif

I could probably match you story-for-story, but I don't have the time. I know of scores of (especially recent Thai university graduates just launching out on their own) who cannot get their money back from deposits. Mostly unscrupulous landlords prey on those who don't have the weight to throw around in a legal/financial dispute. You, as a farang, probably fare much better than the average Thai.

Animatic

Why?

So you accept that when things are more difficult to get to then it is ok to have a price hike? So when people are delivering water to Bangkok from Samui, then they are expected to charge the normal price for a bottle of water when they eventually sell them on. When people send a truck to Laos to collect water and eggs, they can't put the prices up, yet it is ok to do so on Samui. Why is it ok to charge 3500 baht on samui when the same property is 2000 baht in Bangkok? I even have to pay to get over to Samui myself in addition. The reason it is more expensive is simple...market forces and tourism.....

I accept that when it is NORMALLY the case that costs are higher, then prices will be higher.

But that is NORMALLY, not in a disaster situation such as what we are discussing.

I accept that there is a difference from selling and transporting from a distance at increased costs, and selling at a moderate amount relative to that cost,

versus gouging hugely on things in stock.

Costs are costs, but we should never add on userous amounts on top of costs to profit on the backs of those in distress. By very the nature of a 'Disaster situation' the regular rules of 'get what you can' should be strictly moderated for the public good.

Edited by animatic

I didn't mean to make it sound like all owners are great people. Obviously there are snakes in the grass where ever you go, But also from experience (the wife has 50+ rental properties in CM), young students are some of the worse offenders. They don't realize the damage they are doing, and don't realize the importance of paying on time. The when they don't get the full deposit back, you have to sit down and explain everything again and again. The concept of planning (giving 1 month's notice), there is a difference between the due date and the grace period etc, etc, etc.....

i don't mean this as an argument with you, I just don't believe that things are that bad. Its becoming to a point where there is some urban legend between foreigner about the security deposit abyss in Thailand. It's simply not the case.

Get real folks. dry.gif

I could probably match you story-for-story, but I don't have the time. I know of scores of (especially recent Thai university graduates just launching out on their own) who cannot get their money back from deposits. Mostly unscrupulous landlords prey on those who don't have the weight to throw around in a legal/financial dispute. You, as a farang, probably fare much better than the average Thai.

These laws preventing increasing in prices are ridiculous. A first years economic course indicates that the most goods reach consumers if price is set based on supply and demand.

Firstly, price capping encourages hoarding by the first people to get the goods rather than the people who are willing to pay the more. As an example, a consumer may buy 10 bottles of water if they each cost 30 baht but that consumer would only buy 2 bottles if each bottle cost 30 baht. With the lower price you get fewer consumers buy more water than more consumers buying a few waters.

Secondly, the supply chain is also competitive and a store is competing against other stores for a finite number of goods. A store that can pay more money for goods will generally be able to buy more. If there is a shortage in the supply chain suppliers will generally increase prices. If that store cannot pass the increased costs of purchasing goods onto consumers they won't be able to order as much, and that means hat the stores will have no goods rather than expensive goods.

In regards to rent, price capping encourages people who don't need to stay somewhere safe to move to an apartment rather than someone who is willing to pay more because they really need to because they have been evacuated.

The final spin on all these scenarios is that you can get the consumers reselling the goods/property they got from businesses at a cheaper price. This means that using the scenario above, the business owner that bought water in a competitive market, and chose to keep their water bottles at 10 baht, may make less profit than the consumer who bought ten of them.

My fear is

I disagree with what allot of the posters are saying about you being a part of the problem. If someone wants a short term lease they should be prepared to pay a short term price. If they were legitimate long term tenants then that would be different.

My fear is

I disagree with what allot of the posters are saying about you being a part of the problem. If someone wants a short term lease they should be prepared to pay a short term price. If they were legitimate long term tenants then that would be different.

Short Term not Short TIME rentals.

If I rent for 3 months I am just as legitimate as if I rent a full year.