Qantas Grounds Entire Fleet In 'Unbelievable' Step

webfact

Yes its a great move by the CEO...alienate your customers and antagonise the workforce still further. Brilliant.

No doubt anyone who has a flight with Qantas or its codeshare partners will be leaping for joy over this move. Mind you those partners are just as cavalier about passengers needs.

You have thousands of passengers stranded around the world because of this stupid move. Given Qanta's record over the last 2 yrs with engines exploding and pieces falling of the planes and now this it will definately deter future customers from flying with them. I would predict that in 5 yrs Qantas will be no longer around. You can fly with Thai Airways on the same routes for a 3rd of the price and 100% better service. The cost of1st class with thai will get you cattle class on Qantas.

Your running them down for calling this action yet in the same sentence your saying there prices are to high.

Don't you understand they are taking this action to remain competitive?

By taking this action they have told their customers they have poor relations with their workforce and don't care a jot for their travel plans. Qantas is now permanently on my don't fly list.

Edit: sp

Edited by smokie36

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

By taking this action they have told their customers they have poor relations with their workforce and don't care a jot for their travel plans. Qantas is now permanently on my don't fly list.

A luxury you have.

What about all the offshore workers on the NW shelf?

QANTAS are the only carrier between Perth and Karratha, Port Hedland etc.

A luxury you have.

How about, Virgin Australia?

Yes its a great move by the CEO...alienate your customers and antagonise the workforce still further. Brilliant.

No doubt anyone who has a flight with Qantas or its codeshare partners will be leaping for joy over this move. Mind you those partners are just as cavalier about passengers needs.

You have thousands of passengers stranded around the world because of this stupid move. Given Qanta's record over the last 2 yrs with engines exploding and pieces falling of the planes and now this it will definately deter future customers from flying with them. I would predict that in 5 yrs Qantas will be no longer around. You can fly with Thai Airways on the same routes for a 3rd of the price and 100% better service. The cost of1st class with thai will get you cattle class on Qantas.

Your running them down for calling this action yet in the same sentence your saying there prices are to high.

So it's ok for unions to call the strike but not the airline ?

These unions have not backed down they were warned further action from them would cost jobs .

They gave Joyce no option and it's about time.

A luxury you have.

How about, Virgin Australia?

Yes, you're right.

Surprised QANTAS was allowed to hold that monopoly for as long as it did.

CEO had to give Qantas customers more time to change there traveling plans, would have less impact but much more customer friendly.

Joyce doesn't give a nuts about QANTAS. He is just wanting to strip it down and receive whatever performance bonus he has negotiated to strip it down. Much like the waterfront workers strike, except in that case the waterfront workers were far more militant beforehand. he is looking to get rid of staff and re hire overseas workers at a pittance.

So it's ok for unions to call the strike but not the airline ?

These unions have not backed down they were warned further action from them would cost jobs .

They gave Joyce no option and it's about time.

Fatcat execs who will be gone in a couple of years time....leaving behind the wreck of what was Qantas.

ACTU calls urgent hook-up of Qantas unions

THE Australian Council of Trade Unions (ACTU) has called an urgent hook-up of Qantas unions to night to discuss the the lock out of the airline staff and the grounding of its fleet.

ACTU Secretary Jeff Lawrence said the airline's management should reconsider their decision and get back to the negotiating table to get an agreement with their workforce.

Alan Joyce needs to urgently reconsider this lock-out and grounding, Mr Lawrence said in a statement tonight. This is a most unusual decision which is completely unwarranted, and will only hurt Qantas brand and customers.

Qantas employees are as shocked and stunned at this extreme decision as passengers are. He said Qantas workers were were simply seeking to negotiate new pay and conditions, and some guarantees from management about job security.

But bargaining at Qantas has broken down because of managements refusal to negotiate, Mr Lawrence said. Industrial action at Qantas has been limited, and some unions have actually called off industrial action for several weeks, but Qantas has continued to snub its workforce.

This irresponsible action by Alan Joyce will hurt innocent bystanders, including the travelling public and the majority of the Qantas workforce who are currently not in bargaining with management.''

Pilots have accused Qantas of ''holding the country to ransom'' with its decision to ground all its planes over an industrial dispute.

Herald Sun

Qantas justifed in its action: think tank

Qantas' decision to ground planes and lock out workers was justified, a right wing think tanks says.

John Lloyd, director of work reform and productivity at the Institute of Public Affairs, said the airline was subjected to "destructive and at time vicious industrial campaign for weeks".

"A number of the union claims are excessive," Mr Lloyd said.

More here ninemsn.com

AirAsia X offers Qantas 'rescue fares'

Low cost carrier AirAsia X has created special 'rescue fares' for passengers affected by the grounding of Qantas planes due to on-going industrial action.

AirAsia X head of commercial Darren Wright said anyone holding a valid Qantas ticket to any AirAsia X destinations for immediate travel in the next 48 hours can access our special rescue economy fares of AUD$150* (all inclusive) per sector outbound from our Australian ports.

“For example it will be possible for these passengers to reach destinations including London and Paris for $300 one way from Australia.

flightcentric

"I would predict that in 5 yrs Qantas will be no longer around" ?

The same prediction was made 30 years ago when all the pilots got laid-off !!!

Do they still get paid while they're on strike?

"In a hastily called media conference on October 29, Joyce said the airline would be grounded from 5.00pm on October 29, but that all employees are required at work as normal and will be paid until the lockout begins at 8.00pm eastern time on October 31. Once the lockout starts, those employees who are locked out will not be required at work and will not be paid."

Australia Aviation

very ballsy move, the bottom line is that employers should be allowed to run their business as they choose and provided this does not abuse empoyees while remaining competitive then thumbs up, I agree with unions but sometimes individuals lose sight of what they are all about, in this environment of turmoil throughout the world qantas employies should take a long hard look at what they have

Agreed, sometimes individuals lose sight of themselves. A CEO paying himself a salary of AUD 5 million is a good example. That's 14 times what Australia PM earns, and a 71% increase in pay. He should take his own haircut.

Its ok to say that Joyce and his cohorts salary increases were ratified by share holders at the AGM but it begs the question, given all these lurks and perks that go with senior management salary packages these days how many votes did the board get to give themselves such exhorbitantant increases. Bearing that in mind the current board hasnt returned a dividend for the past 2 years, so we cant say its performamance based. Why doesnt Joyce come clean and tell the general public what the unions are seeking instead of using such terms as exhorbitant and unjust. Qantas has had it to good for to long and this idea that all Australians must use Qantas is a fallacy. The Commonwealth Bank and Telstra work on this same theory, all once great Australian companys that were privatised. Privatisation to these companys is to sack 30% of the workforce and expect the same amount of productivity not to mention Australian workers skills lost forever. I can't complain, it worked in my favour, my job in the Australian Defence Department was sourced out to overseas, so I took my redundancy package which enabled me to set up my base in Bangkok with my Thai wife. The flying kangaroo maybe a very extinct specie in the not to distant future.

Do they still get paid while they're on strike?

"In a hastily called media conference on October 29, Joyce said the airline would be grounded from 5.00pm on October 29, but that all employees are required at work as normal and will be paid until the lockout begins at 8.00pm eastern time on October 31. Once the lockout starts, those employees who are locked out will not be required at work and will not be paid."

Australia Aviation

Sorry - I wasn't specific enough. Were they getting paid for being on strike before the lockout?

Joyce doesn't give a nuts about QANTAS. He is just wanting to strip it down and receive whatever performance bonus he has negotiated to strip it down. Much like the waterfront workers strike, except in that case the waterfront workers were far more militant beforehand. he is looking to get rid of staff and re hire overseas workers at a pittance.

They have been trying to get rid of thier Australian workforce for 2 yrs, about 8 months ago they offered thier entire flight crew redundancy packages and wanted to replace them with Thai crews. Paying them minimum thai wages. They actually want to move the entire operation offshore to Indoneasia or Thailand. You have the idiot CEO saying they can't afford a pay increase inline with the CPI but they posted a 90 million profit last quarter and the CEO recieves a payrise in the millions. The management could not care less about the customers by calling this snap grounding which is stranding 13,000 passengers around the world in the next 24 hours. about 120,000 people stranded from home around the world in the next 7 days. Some of these people who have already maxed out thier credit cards whilst on holidays and now have to try and support themselves overseas. Let's not forget those in Thailand who could face fines for visa overstays.

I worked in Melbourne myself for 15 months. The demands of the unions were far away from realistic. At the end the procedure was pretty much the same. All the stuff was kicked out, later few were taken over for maintenance people, and we could start to work on our equipment, there was no skilled people around who have could done the job.

The step Qantas took, seems drastic, but seems to comply with local customs.

Edited by jethro69

Thumbs up. Its time for companies to take a stand against unions.

It is unbelievable how unions threaten to strike whenever they want to negotiate higher wages.

Only wished the U.S. auto makers took this route instead of having billions of dollars bailing them out.

How about go back and do a bit of reading the unions did take a big hit as part of the bail out. What is the most sucessful airline in the United States? How about the most unionized Southwest Airlines. In operation since the 1970s has only missed 2 quaters in that time they didn't make a profit. So donot start on unions until you gut management, where all decisions are made that turns out a crappy car no one wants or run an airline into the ground. Southwest is the only US airline that doesn't charge to check every bag only the 3rd and no fees for changing flight. In the end its up to management to lead and set a fair course for employess and customers.

I don't think Qantas will cease to exist but they will not be operating out of Australia. I guess in a yr or 2 it will be Captain Somchai addressing the passengers and the lovely Thai flight crew will be serving you your Chang beer instead of Fosters. For all the girls of Thailand looking for work start brushing up on your english skills but do not expect Aussie wages you will still only get your 175 baht per day.

Edited by chooka