Where Are The Eggs Now?

Jingthing

Easy for you but why would you assume everyone eats 1 egg a day? I could easily polish off 10 a day with 4 or 5 for breakfast.

Have you checked your cholesterol levels ? If not, maybe you should.

I was waiting for such a comment. Do some research - eggs don't increase cholesterol levels - that's an old myth that is just never going to die. I can eat a dozen a day and my cholesterol stays well within the normal range.. in fact the more I eat the better my levels.

Having said that, it has been shown statistically that people over 50 live longer with high cholesterol levels. The cholesterol lowering drugs are the real killer.

Anyway, this can spark a heated debate which is not within the scope of this thread. Suffice to say I enjoy at least 6 eggs a day. I managed to score 3 dozen yesterday at normal prices from supermarkets.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Easy for you but why would you assume everyone eats 1 egg a day? I could easily polish off 10 a day with 4 or 5 for breakfast.

Hmm. Are you that muscle-bound body-builder chap that I often see at breakfast who eats a mound of boiled eggs and nothing else?

I was always told that even one egg a day is more than one should really be eating, for health reasons. I eat one most days, but not all.

No. I cook them at home.

Couldn’t help but humm along to this old classic by Pete Seeger while reading this thread….with slightly modified lyrics

WHERE HAVE ALL THE CHICKENS GONE

Where have all the chickens gone?

Long time passing

Long time ago

Girls have picked them every one

When will they ever learn?

When will they ever learn?..............

I have just got back from my daily shop in Friendship :

Eggs large size 40 baht/half dozen, previously 36 baht

Milk fridges are full

Loads of freshly made bread from local bakeries and hotels.

I have to congratulate the panic buyers, as all they have done is driven up prices and I am still able to buy all I want on a daily basis.

Chicken Little eat your heart out.

AGREE 100% RAB

i was there yesterday morning and it was much the same as usual and as you have reported

Last night they had them on ration at 1 carton per household. 15 eggs = 81 baht.

"So unless you have been advised otherwise by your doctor or

dietician, if you like eggs, they can be included as part of a balanced and

varied diet."

Somehow I dont think that eating 10 eggs a day, or even a mound of 5 for breakfast, can be described as "part of a balanced and varied diet".

It sounds like just eating a lot of eggs to me.

My breakfast is one egg, some bacon, some cereal and milk (no sugar), some brown toast, a little butter, loads of stir-fried vegetables, some curry sauce (usually without the meat), plain rice, a good dollop of chilli, and some Thai soup, coffee and juice.

I would describe that as varied and balanced.

My place had a new sign up today saying "maximum two eggs per person, please".

Friendship near 2nd road, yes they have a few bananas, but no bloody eggs!

Loads at 08:00 as with most of their stock, set your alarm.

Edited to add

I may have been too quick off the mark there I mean the main Friendship on S Pattaya Rd.

Edited by RabC

sounds more excessive than balanced.....a diet may be called for

varied diet."

Somehow I dont think that eating 10 eggs a day, or even a mound of 5 for breakfast, can be described as "part of a balanced and varied diet".

My breakfast is one egg, some bacon, some cereal and milk (no sugar), some brown toast, a little butter, loads of stir-fried vegetables, some curry sauce (usually without the meat), plain rice, a good dollop of chilli, and some Thai soup, coffee and juice.

varied diet."

Ah but you see as a devout Cheep Charlie he has to get value from his buffet breakfast whether he needs it or not.

I dont remember saying that the quantities were in any way excessive, or even large.

I like variety, not quantity.

I do like a good plateful of vegetables though as you rarely get enough in Thai food, except for somtam etc.

i have been to freindship, foodland, central and big c extra this morning

all had eggs, water and rice

wheres the panic?

Certainly none in your worldsaai.gif

for sure, all's well as i look down from my ivory tower

it would be so different if i had to live in red central

varied diet."

You sound like my mother. Back in the 70's after my father died from a heart attack we were strictly limited to 1 egg per day and switched over to (toxic) margarine.

When I visited my mother last year (first time in 14 years) she freaked out when I started to fry up 4 eggs for breakfast. I wanted 5 but the pan was too small - she freaked out about the same way you have here.

Breakfast ain't breakfast with less than 4 eggs. During most of my early years all my omelets were 6-eggers. I wouldn't much be interested in nutritional advice from anyone who considers bacon part of a "balanced and varied diet".

Would you like to see my lipid profile? Had it done last week and it was very good.

varied diet."

You sound like my mother. Back in the 70's after my father died from a heart attack we were strictly limited to 1 egg per day and switched over to (toxic) margarine.

When I visited my mother last year (first time in 14 years) she freaked out when I started to fry up 4 eggs for breakfast. I wanted 5 but the pan was too small - she freaked out about the same way you have here.

Breakfast ain't breakfast with less than 4 eggs. During most of my early years all my omelets were 6-eggers. I wouldn't much be interested in nutritional advice from anyone who considers bacon part of a "balanced and varied diet".

Would you like to see my lipid profile? Had it done last week and it was very good.

Eggs are great...low calorie and you won't be stuffing yourself with snacks all day.....

How bizarre to consider a simple comment about eating a lot of eggs "freaking out". Maybe your family is very stressed and thinks that everyone else must be as well.

Hmm. "Balanced and varied" to me means a small amount of many things. Or precisely the opposite of a 6-egg breakfast, unless you also eat many other things as well, in which you probably look more like my avatar than I do. I doubt you would find any health professional anywhere who would recommend eating 6 eggs for breakfast on a regular basis, whilst the same health professionals would probably have little or no problem with the amount of bacon I eat (about the same weight as one egg).

Would you like to see my lipid profile?

Probably the most enticing offer I have had all week, but I'll pass thanks.

There are some things that mankind was never meant to see.

How bizarre to consider a simple comment about eating a lot of eggs "freaking out". Maybe your family is very stressed and thinks that everyone else must be as well.

Hmm. "Balanced and varied" to me means a small amount of many things. Or precisely the opposite of a 6-egg breakfast, unless you also eat many other things as well, in which you probably look more like my avatar than I do. I doubt you would find any health professional anywhere who would recommend eating 6 eggs for breakfast on a regular basis, whilst the same health professionals would probably have little or no problem with the amount of bacon I eat (about the same weight as one egg).

Probably the most enticing offer I have had all week, but I'll pass thanks.

There are some things that mankind was never meant to see.

First of all, a lipid profile is merely the results of a test for total cholesterol, HDL/LDL etc. It's just a chart.

I'm sorry to hear that you look somewhat like your avatar. That pretty sums up what your "balanced diet" has achieved.

Yes, 6 egg omelets was (I don't eat many omelets these days) only a very small portion of my diet.

You really should stop stressing about the cholesterol in eggs and get yourself out of the dark ages.

Four eggs in a meal does sound unusual and extreme. The most I go is three eggs with one yolk discarded. Usually two will do. A matter of taste I guess. I think it's weird to need to eat them everyday for brekkie. What's wrong with oatmeal?

Oatmeal consists mainly of carbohydrates in the form of starch, that's the problem. If I eat oatmeal I'll still need at least 4 eggs for protein, and even then that's only about 24 grams of protein - not much for a first meal. Excessive carbs will make you fat and probably diabetic in time. Apart from that, I can't stand the bloating effect from eating oatmeal. Better leave it to the horses.

You're another person living in the dark ages when everyone believed that cholesterol in food translated to high cholesterol in the blood.

Edited by tropo

Everyone is different as far as their cholosterol profile. Many of us have high cholestorel because our own bodies are genetically programmed to produce it.

Personally I don't take much notice of cholesterol levels, but one of the first questions I was asked was about my cholesterol levels, which happened to be 176 mg/dl as of October 22 - on at least 6 eggs per day for over 30 years

For a person who doesn't think high cholesterol is an issue, why are you so frightened of eggs? By throwing away the yolk you are losing 90% of the nutritional value.

I never said that. Chill out. Diets are personal. What's good for you won't be good for everyone.

But Tropo is eggzactly right, you see. Better start w/ this article

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/07/magazine/what-if-it-s-all-been-a-big-fat-lie.html?pagewanted=all&src=pm

and then hit Taube's books (Amazon.com).

Excuse me, but I never said I usually have three eggs in the first place! And I never said I tossed the yolk of one when I do have three because of cholestorel. Have you heard of CALORIES! Most in the yolk.

Two eggs is usually plenty for my appetite when I am having eggs. Like I said, diet prefererences are PERSONAL.

Also if you noticed, I brought up the issue of people producing cholestorel from their own bodies, having nothing to do with diet.

Carbohydrates have different nutritional value. Whole grain oatmeal is a healthy food and certainly does not promote diabetes. PROCESSED white bread does.

Edited by Jingthing

Excuse me, but I never said I usually have three eggs in the first place! And I never said I tossed the yolk of one when I do have three because of cholestorel. Have you heard of CALORIES! Most in the yolk.

Two eggs is usually plenty for my appetite when I am having eggs. Like I said, diet prefererences are PERSONAL.

Also if you noticed, I brought up the issue of people producing cholestorel from their own bodies, having nothing to do with diet.

Carbohydrates have different nutritional value. Whole grain oatmeal is a healthy food and certainly does not promote diabetes. PROCESSED white bread does.

Of course it will kick off another debate, but oatmeal will promote diabetes, something eggs will never do. All starchy foods are in the same boat - bread, rice, oats etc. They stimulate a huge insulin surge. Complex carbs are a fat person's worst enemy, not fat.

The glycemic index of starchy foods is very similar whether you're looking at oats or white bread. As far as weight gain is concerned it doesn't make any difference. You've just fallen prey to marketing hype to sell oats, a popular American food.

You'd be far better off cutting back on oats and keeping that 3rd egg yolk, which is loaded with good nutrients including healthy fat. How are you looking these days? Lean?

Edited by tropo

loads of stir fried vegetables as you stated sounds both excessive and very unhealthy, I imagine the oil they are fried in is probably not top shelf either

note somtam is made from papaya which is a fruit. not a vegetable

in general buffets tend to be very unhealthy as they promote overeating for greedy types always trying to beat the system...the cost per gram you eat may be less, but the health effects on your body could be catastrophic

I dont remember saying that the quantities were in any way excessive, or even large.

I like variety, not quantity.

I do like a good plateful of vegetables though as you rarely get enough in Thai food, except for somtam etc.

First of all, a lipid profile is merely the results of a test for total cholesterol, HDL/LDL etc. It's just a chart.

I know that. Some people are decidedly lacking in humour on here.

I'm sorry to hear that you look somewhat like your avatar. That pretty sums up what your "balanced diet" has achieved.

I dont remember saying that I looked like my avatar. In fact I said the opposite.

You really should stop stressing about the cholesterol in eggs and get yourself out of the dark ages.

I am not in the least concerned about the amount of cholesterol in eggs; I don't eat enough of them (or anything else) for it to make any difference to me.