Baby Spinach

There are only a few specialty supermarkets that have Baby Spinach. They don't always have it and when they do, it's always imported and pretty expensive. The good stuff comes from the US and is about 250 Baht for enough to make two salads for myself. I'm perplexed as to why this is not grown locally. I would happily buy Thai grown Baby Spinach, but it seems that it is simply not grown here. Any idea as to why?

there is local spinach available but it is tough and stingy and has a different flavor and is unsuitable for salads...

in Vietnam I was surprised to find 'european style' spinach everywhere and went crazy with the spinach salads and in stir fries and etc...the vietnamese just boil it until it's limp then serve it with 'spinach soup' on the side...after being served the spinach and fried tofu separately once I said to a vietnamese dining companion: 'ye know, if they stirred fried the tofu in garlic and onions and then lightly steamed the spinach on top with some cooking sauce they would have a tasty dish...' she looked at me as if I was mad...

It is a mystery to me also , but here is what i have learned.

Some areas including mine don't know what spinach is... some call it "Popeye"

I get spinach and a lot of it in Mahasarakam....really cheap, really good, but you have to go to the local fresh markets!