All Bangkok Districts To Be Flooded If Klong Sam Wa's Sluice Gate Further Opened: Deputy Governor

webfact

If I may write an unrelated comment...

When tsunami hit Japan and knocked out their infrastructure, logistics, and supplies of foods in shops, people got together and worked out a plan, how they will all make it over it together.

I was amazed at their strength and sense of community, and wondered what would have happened if a similar disaster was to strike somewhere else.

Walking into supermarket 2 weeks+ ago and seeing a guy buying 4 shopping carts of noodle packs and 3 more shopping carts of canned fish kind of gave me that answer.

Now to the sluice gate... I do understand the anger of the people on the wet side of the barriers. But flooding the dry neighbours will only make help to arrive to them later, and less of it, as there would be more damage area to cover.

Flooding the airport, the remaining industrial zones and commercial center would be like cutting out your heart to save your arm.

Afterall, Thailand does not drive self-sufficient economy and heavily depends on tourism and foreign investment, 2 things that will evaporate the moment first centimetre of water reaches business district or Suvarnabhumi airport.

IMO your comment is not irrelevant. Simply put those are differences between Japan and Thai society. While some can argue Japan is a conformist society, Japan's education system is way different as it trains the mind to think, analyze, conceptualize, plan, connect the dots, etc etc etc. I need not point out other factors in Japan such as organization, efficiency, planning, and HONOUR. Yes, Thailand may also have those things but in a limited MINUTELY SMALL fraction of the population.

My heart goes out to the poor who are typically the ones that suffer the most or suffer primarily, albeit the poor are among the group that votes for "more of the same" in their political system.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am fully in agreement with these people, why should they endure more days of flooding just to keep a few places dry! Here in Don Muang I as still experiencing rising water in my house, I will be unable to work today and will lose income because of it, why should I have a few more days of this if it can be lessened?

Unlike many here (it seems) I am not sufficiently knowledgeable about the situation to judge whether the locals are right or not. In order to be able to make a judgement, I would need to know (inter alia):

When were the flood defences for Inner Bangkok, that are now being breached, built?

When did the people outside the flood defences, whose property is now being affected construct their properties - if after the construction of the flood defences, then they should have been aware of the likely consequences at times of flood

Did the authorities responsible for the area outside the flood defences make a decision about whether or not to construct their own defences - and then failed to construct adequate defences?

If those living inside the flood defences paid their taxes to be defended against floods, and those outside either knowlingly built properties in at-risk areas, or failed to ensure that their own authorities similarly built adequate defences, then I don't think those inside the defences should now suffer for the failings or inadequacies of those outside

now i understand more of the problem. Wuite logical that they want that opened more. It drains through BKK straight in the sea. Its madness blocking North to South connections and expecting the locals to endure more hardship.

It might GO through Bangkok straight to the sea, but how much will it flood on the way ... especially as it goes past Suvarnabhumi and not far from the Lam Lukka industrial estate.

With Bangkok making up around 40% of the GDP of Thailand, it's understandable they're trying to protect it. The damage is already done in the surrounding areas, does it really have to get even worse? It's terrible for the locals who are now up to their waste in water, but forcing more of Bangkok to flood will not lessen their damage, and will cripple the Thai economy even further.

Besides that, it's pretty insane that the government is allowing local people to affect their plans so much. Normally if people would forcibly try to do major damage to a major city like Bangkok they'd be branded terrorists.... Someone needs to take charge and look at the bigger picture, then enforce the plan for the greater good of the country. If the local police can't handle it, have the army protect the sluice gates and dams....

WOW! This is a 100% logical and sensible statement.

"Normally if people would forcibly try to do major damage to a major city like Bangkok they'd be branded terrorists...."

Not in Thailand, judging from the recent past. No one stopped the red shirts setting up barricades when they first invaded the city last year, no one stopped the reds invading the asean summit, no one stopped the yellows invading the airport.

All these actions were illegal in any country and highly damaging to Thailands image, yet authorities failed to take any action.

TIT

Since when does this become "farang thinking".

What I can tell you for sure is this.

If BKK floods tomorrow, sure the countryside folks will be able to see their land. Agreed.

What you fail to understand is that tourism will stall to a halt.

That is exactly what I was referring to, too many angry farangs on this forum thinks flooding the centre of Bangkok is the correct way to go! They fail to see the big picture.

Edited by forumuser10

I am reminded of the movie “The Man Who Would Be King” (based on a Kipling book). Two fortune hunters venture into the mythical kingdom of Kafiristan, and find bunch of locals who hate the people who live up the river. “Why do you hate these people so much?” to which they reply “Every time we go to the river to bathe the tribe upstream pees in the river”, the protagonists Daniel and Peachy travel further up the river and find the people living there equally loathe the another tribe further up the river, again they ask “Why do you hate these people so much?” to which they reply “Every time we go to the river to bathe the tribe upstream pees in the river”……….. so it goes.

please get me on your medication..!

The short sightedness of many on this forum amazes me. If Bangkok floods, the situation will only get worse. Right now they're already slashing the economic growth of the country by several percentage points. With Bangkok making up almost half of the countries GDP, guess what will happen to the economy if the city floods for several weeks? Companies shut down, economy will shrink, more people will lose their jobs (lots of them not living in Bangkok, only working there...). And why? Because others want another "quick fix" to their own problems.

I say again, I feel incredibly sorry for those who have lost their homes, everything they had, and are now desperately waiting for the water to drain, but just putting that same water on your neighbor's porch is not going to fix this problem for the country as a whole. The individual needs will have to be set aside for the good of the country, difficult as that may be.

Just to clarify, I am not trying to choose sides here on a political basis. This is just common sense, try to limit the damage to those areas already hit. Using this disaster for political gain is a very sad state of affairs, which just goes to show how low the political climate in this country has sunk.

If it ends suffering a week earlier im all for it. Then we can all start to rebuild. The Thai economy is still growing according to forecasts. It wont mean a breakdown of everything. Right now i have been living flooded for more then a week. (and could not get out because of flooded roads before that). Im getting sick of it.

Opening this gate wont help me, but i understand how the people are feeling. Maybe if the people on the other side of the gate compensated them for 10.000 bt a head for staying longer in the water they would agree.

Now they are taking an extra hit and later can only beg for handouts. While the people on the dry side go on acting like nothing happened.

The Thai economy is still growing according to forecasts??? What news are you checking? I quote:

"The central bank last week slashed its economic growth forecast for 2011 to 2.9 percent from 4.1 percent after floods swamped almost 10,000 factories and threatened to seep into the capital."

Guess what will happen when Bangkok floods as well for a few weeks? Letting Bangkok flood will not end the suffering a week earlier, it will exacerbate it. Those in the poorer provinces who rely on money sent by family members from Bangkok will no longer get this income. Companies will relocate because of the poor management, as well as the view that the government lets itself push over by a few thousand people with hoes and rakes. I'm sure you are in a poor situation right now, and I feel for you. But flooding Bangkok will not change the fact that your home is flooded and that the damage is already done. The company I work for is right in the middle of Bang Bua Thong, and many of my colleagues have been affected and forced out of their homes, while the company itself remains dry due to the relentless efforts of our local staff to build and reinforce the dykes they put up, so I am not ignorant to the situation. But "sharing the burden" just does not work in this case.

Now then I understand why the Navy is screaming to buy Submarines. It will be useful to navigate the street of bangkok right now.

Better than the useless white elephant aircraft carrier, which has tern into a permanent tourist attraction in sattahip. If only the engine could be started, it could be use to propel water out od Chao Praya rivers. Anyone have a jump start cable long enough to jump start up the aircraft carrier?

Bkk Governor Press Con on Nov 1, 11.40 AM

The Bangkok governor expressed grave concern for flooding situation in west of Bangkok due to the poor drainage capacity for the areas west of the Chao Phraya River. He added the government must be strong in its resolve in order to effectively manage the flood crisis for east Bangkok.

Bangkok governor Sukhumbhand Paripatra held a brief press conference at 11.40 PM on Tuesday as Bangkokians returned to work for the first day after the flood emergency holidays declared by the Cabinet on Oct 27-31. He reiterated the call for residents in Bang Pai area of Bang Kae to evacuate while Bang Chan, Klong Sam Wa was added to the flood watchlist.

The governor revealed the opening of Sam Wa Canal floodgate and the inability of the government to close the gates in Klong 8 and 10 will put communities in east of Bangkok at risk of flooding. These include the Nong Jok, Minburi and Lad Krabang putting both the Bang Chan and Lad Krabang industrial estates at risk of floods.

Sukhumbhand also expressed grave concern for west Bangkok with its existing drainage capacity. He said the existent drainage system in west Bangkok, both owned by the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration and the government, are most likely inadequate to protect communities west of Chao Phraya River from floods.

The Bangkok governor also commented on the government's decision to give in to the demand made by locals living near the Sam Wa Canal floodgate, forcing the government to open the gate to as wide as 1 meter (Nov 1). He said he's confident the flood situation in east of Bangkok is manageable if the government remain strong in its resolve to adhere to the flood management plans. He said as a Bangkok governor, he cares about the public as much as politicians who were elected into office by the public.

This could be an evidence of a new round of tension between the Bangkok governor and the Flood Relief Operations Center (FROC). The two agencies are constantly at odds over the severity of the flood crisis that Bangkok is facing and continue to hold separate press conferences even after the premier invoked Article 31 of the 2007 Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Act to give her full authority to assign responsible officials to solve the flood crisis.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-11-01

footer_n.gif

I am just curious how much money has been donated to help the common people by Thaksin Shinawatra, Potjamin Domapong and Yingluck Shinawatra. My guess is that it is dam_n little and that donation of a few water pumps by Thaksin was a token effort for publicity.

The elites will only become even stronger after this this is over because they will still have all their wealth and their "red" supporters will have even less than they had before. It is naive to think the government is going to reimburse all of the flood losses. The rich will get help to rebuild their empires and the poor people are Sht Out of Luck.

It is very interesting how Thaksin seems to have distanced himself from Yingluck now that the flood disaster has been so poorly managed. Yingluck may well drown before this is over but the real leader of the country, Thaksin will just swim away.

Normally if people would forcibly try to do major damage to a major city like Bangkok they'd be branded terrorists....

The Reds who damaged Bkk in Spring '09 and Spring '10 were terrorists in every sense of the word (remember commandeering LP gas truck? .....and raiding hospital?). Yet Thais like them, and voted their leaders in to political power positions months later. The message: It's ok to be a Thai terrorist, particularly if it relates to damaging Bkk.

Tolerating terrorism in Thailand, whether it's practiced by militant muslims, Burmese ethnic minorities, or rural Thai folk, is an incredibly dangerous precedent. But completely consistent with the passive, non-confrontational style of law enforcement employed in this country that allows various factions to sort their grievances among themselves.

"Normally if people would forcibly try to do major damage to a major city like Bangkok they'd be branded terrorists...."

Not in Thailand, judging from the recent past. No one stopped the red shirts setting up barricades when they first invaded the city last year, no one stopped the reds invading the asean summit, no one stopped the yellows invading the airport.

All these actions were illegal in any country and highly damaging to Thailands image, yet authorities failed to take any action.

TIT

Only foreigners can be terrorist. They can terrorize each other and it's ok. :whistling:

The short sightedness of many on this forum amazes me. If Bangkok floods, the situation will only get worse. Right now they're already slashing the economic growth of the country by several percentage points. With Bangkok making up almost half of the countries GDP, guess what will happen to the economy if the city floods for several weeks? Companies shut down, economy will shrink, more people will lose their jobs (lots of them not living in Bangkok, only working there...). And why? Because others want another "quick fix" to their own problems.

I say again, I feel incredibly sorry for those who have lost their homes, everything they had, and are now desperately waiting for the water to drain, but just putting that same water on your neighbor's porch is not going to fix this problem for the country as a whole. The individual needs will have to be set aside for the good of the country, difficult as that may be.

Just to clarify, I am not trying to choose sides here on a political basis. This is just common sense, try to limit the damage to those areas already hit. Using this disaster for political gain is a very sad state of affairs, which just goes to show how low the political climate in this country has sunk.

If it ends suffering a week earlier im all for it. Then we can all start to rebuild. The Thai economy is still growing according to forecasts. It wont mean a breakdown of everything. Right now i have been living flooded for more then a week. (and could not get out because of flooded roads before that). Im getting sick of it.

Opening this gate wont help me, but i understand how the people are feeling. Maybe if the people on the other side of the gate compensated them for 10.000 bt a head for staying longer in the water they would agree.

Now they are taking an extra hit and later can only beg for handouts. While the people on the dry side go on acting like nothing happened.

The Thai economy is still growing according to forecasts??? What news are you checking? I quote:

"The central bank last week slashed its economic growth forecast for 2011 to 2.9 percent from 4.1 percent after floods swamped almost 10,000 factories and threatened to seep into the capital."

Guess what will happen when Bangkok floods as well for a few weeks? Letting Bangkok flood will not end the suffering a week earlier, it will exacerbate it. Those in the poorer provinces who rely on money sent by family members from Bangkok will no longer get this income. Companies will relocate because of the poor management, as well as the view that the government lets itself push over by a few thousand people with hoes and rakes. I'm sure you are in a poor situation right now, and I feel for you. But flooding Bangkok will not change the fact that your home is flooded and that the damage is already done. The company I work for is right in the middle of Bang Bua Thong, and many of my colleagues have been affected and forced out of their homes, while the company itself remains dry due to the relentless efforts of our local staff to build and reinforce the dykes they put up, so I am not ignorant to the situation. But "sharing the burden" just does not work in this case.

You just quoted the news i was reading. There will still be growth. Yes growth is less then before but there is still be growth. Sot its not all as bad as people are saying.

I am in Bang Bua Thong, i can survive. It just pains me to see that not all is being done that could be done. I don't want Bangkok to flood but i want them to take some risks so its done faster for all of us. Now it seems they are too cautious.

The short sightedness of many on this forum amazes me. If Bangkok floods, the situation will only get worse.

You see!? This is so typical farang thinking, and add to that, the sense of individualism and independency that is so important in farangland, they just don´t care about each other. They fail to see the big picture.

This has nothing to do with "farang thinking". This is about mitigating the damage. What good will it do if the whole economy grinds to a halt? At least now Bangkok can more or less operate. My company (located in Bang Bua Thong) is now temporarily relocating its office to Sukhumvit so that we can at least continue operations to some extend. If Bangkok floods, we're stuck again and no sales are made at all. How does that help the situation?

It is not me who has a sense of individualism. It's those who now scream that the flood gates needs to be opened so that their homes will dry up quicker, at the expense of others who are not yet affected. It is those people who selfishly park their cars on top of bridges and expressways blocking roads and evacuation routes and causing further traffic jams just so that "their" belongings are safe, and screw the rest. You call me individualistic, but I have never been so amazed at the Thai selfishness and individualistic mindset as I have been during the last few weeks. It is not me who fails to see the big picture here....

I can fully sympathise with these people, I am now into the second week of waist deep water, and with every none metal or plastic piece of furniture ruined, not to mention 2 submerged aircon compressors and walls covered in slime, plus the all pervading sewer smell. They have endured this three times longer than me! I think many here have no idea what this is like.

We are suffering to protect inner Bangkok, but is Bangkok grateful, will they help us refurnish and repair our homes? Obviously as a farang that is out of the question, but what about the Thais?

Just what is being protected that is so important, inner Bangkok is a commercial centre, yes a nexus of head offices, but what use are they with their up country factories and manufacturing bases destroyed. Just tell me in simple language just what is so vital in inner Bangkok that my home is ruined? Then convince the Thais in my area.

These people live from week to week, unlike the salaried elite in Bangkok, how can they start again from scratch, how will they cope with the filth and destruction of their communities. Bangkok has a lot to answer for, I hope they have some damned good answers.

The governor revealed the opening of Sam Wa Canal floodgate and the inability of the government to close the gates in Klong 8 and 10 will put communities in east of Bangkok at risk of flooding. These include the Nong Jok, Minburi and Lad Krabang putting both the Bang Chan and Lad Krabang industrial estates at risk of floods. Sukhumbhand also expressed grave concern for west Bangkok with its existing drainage capacity. He said the existent drainage system in west Bangkok, both owned by the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration and the government, are most likely inadequate to protect communities west of Chao Phraya River from floods.

The Bangkok governor also commented on the government's decision to give in to the demand made by locals living near the Sam Wa Canal floodgate, forcing the government to open the gate to as wide as 1 meter (Nov 1).

He said he's confident the flood situation in east of Bangkok is manageable if the government remain strong in its resolve to adhere to the flood management plans. He said as a Bangkok governor, he cares about the public as much as politicians who were elected into office by the public.

This could be an evidence of a new round of tension between the Bangkok governor and the Flood Relief Operations Center (FROC). The two agencies are constantly at odds over the severity of the flood crisis that Bangkok is facing and continue to hold separate press conferences even after the premier invoked Article 31 of the 2007 Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Act to give her full authority to assign responsible officials to solve the flood crisis.

Excuse me.

What about using the police to enforce the law which is what ,"a government" should be doing. Where is Chalerm, still looking for prairie oysters ?

Seems to me that Anarchy rules.

Edited by siampolee

I am fully in agreement with these people, why should they endure more days of flooding just to keep a few places dry! Here in Don Muang I as still experiencing rising water in my house, I will be unable to work today and will lose income because of it, why should I have a few more days of this if it can be lessened?

I sympathise with you but why do you want to inflict misery on others just to help you a little? Your thinking is seriously flawed.

You are welcome to my house, where even now as I type the water is still rising, I have been unable to work today and will lose because of it, there will be nobody to compensate me. I have been marooned in the house for over a week with dwindling supplies. With waist deep (and rising water) outside and above ankle depth inside, if that can be alleviated by other areas taking some of that water then I am all for it. I don't need sympathy, just the water to start going down, if that means my thinking is flawed then so be it!

The longer the gates are kept shut the worse the division. This is a divided country and BKK is a very divided place as someone else pointed out too. The political divide worsens the flood water management problem and is another example of why the political divide needs quick resolution. It is making everything in the country more difficult to manage

I wonder If anyone has thought of clearing/dredging the Canal. Just in case they had to open the gates?

jb1

I can fully sympathise with these people, I am now into the second week of waist deep water, and with every none metal or plastic piece of furniture ruined, not to mention 2 submerged aircon compressors and walls covered in slime, plus the all pervading sewer smell. They have endured this three times longer than me! I think many here have no idea what this is like.

We are suffering to protect inner Bangkok, but is Bangkok grateful, will they help us refurnish and repair our homes? Obviously as a farang that is out of the question, but what about the Thais?

Just what is being protected that is so important, inner Bangkok is a commercial centre, yes a nexus of head offices, but what use are they with their up country factories and manufacturing bases destroyed. Just tell me in simple language just what is so vital in inner Bangkok that my home is ruined? Then convince the Thais in my area.

These people live from week to week, unlike the salaried elite in Bangkok, how can they start again from scratch, how will they cope with the filth and destruction of their communities. Bangkok has a lot to answer for, I hope they have some damned good answers.

If your house is in fire and your next door neighbour is spraying his house to cool it down to prevent the fire from spreading to his house. You call your neighbour selfish, and you want his house burn to the ground too.

10 million people in flooded is bad. Perhaps you want to make it 20 million people in flood, to make the 1st 10 million people feel better.

I am just curious how much money has been donated to help the common people by Thaksin Shinawatra, Potjamin Domapong and Yingluck Shinawatra. My guess is that it is dam_n little and that donation of a few water pumps by Thaksin was a token effort for publicity.

The elites will only become even stronger after this this is over because they will still have all their wealth and their "red" supporters will have even less than they had before. It is naive to think the government is going to reimburse all of the flood losses. The rich will get help to rebuild their empires and the poor people are Sht Out of Luck.

It is very interesting how Thaksin seems to have distanced himself from Yingluck now that the flood disaster has been so poorly managed. Yingluck may well drown before this is over but the real leader of the country, Thaksin will just swim away.

I think you are missing a few things there. Like support for Yingluck and ther reds upcountry isnt going away easily, and even if the PTP lose support it certainly isnt going to switch to the Dems under any circumstances. And many many blame the BKK governor as much or more than Yingluck. However, how the recovery goes will be crucial and PTP control that totally so their destiny is in their own hands unless extra-parliamentary powers try to use legal and bureaucratic means to stylie the recovery. That though will likely backfire as badly on them as every other recent manouver has. The elite would be best to just let PTP do what it wants and hope they screw up, but I wouldnt think they will sit back and not interfere.

Also the rich/poor divide has worsened over this as has the BKK/elsewhere divide and the divide in BKK has worsened.

The longer the gates are kept shut the worse the division. This is a divided country and BKK is a very divided place as someone else pointed out too. The political divide worsens the flood water management problem and is another example of why the political divide needs quick resolution. It is making everything in the country more difficult to manage

I wonder If anyone has thought of clearing/dredging the Canal. Just in case they had to open the gates?

jb1

The canals were not dredged during the dry season. They had emergency dredging a few weeks ago when it was obvious a big flooding was coming.

This is the correct location

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=202464815194156148718.0004b0a54bb471bca688e

They are not "villagers", it's in suburbia, though more affluent estates have build houses on higher landfills.

The gate has been closed, water was not flowing past it and backed up in the surrounding klongs causing massive flooding in low lying areas. I think it's the last gate before water freely flows into San Saeb.

Some said it was red shirt on their elected MP violence but it wasn't an official red shirt outing.

I'm surprised no one from Minburi showed up yet - they've been flooded for weeks, too and now they will have more water coming their way because Klong Sam Wa started the mob first and got the upper hand.

I think you are missing a few things there. Like support for Yingluck and ther reds upcountry isnt going away easily, and even if the PTP lose support it certainly isnt going to switch to the Dems under any circumstances. And many many blame the BKK governor as much or more than Yingluck. However, how the recovery goes will be crucial and PTP control that totally so their destiny is in their own hands unless extra-parliamentary powers try to use legal and bureaucratic means to stylie the recovery. That though will likely backfire as badly on them as every other recent manouver has. The elite would be best to just let PTP do what it wants and hope they screw up, but I wouldnt think they will sit back and not interfere.

Also the rich/poor divide has worsened over this as has the BKK/elsewhere divide and the divide in BKK has worsened.

You appear to have amazing insight into my comment. None of your reply has anything to do with what I said.

I think the electorate should throw them all out.

There is so much hatred now, the only way to live in peace is to wipe the slate clean. And this means no red shirts, no yellow shirts, no PTP, no democrats, etc etc etc ... and especially no Shinawatras!

While I may not agree with the actions of these people in forcing open flood gates and tearing down barriers to try and get some relief from the flooding in their area, I can fully understand their anger and frustration.

These people are tired of the property, their houses and their lives being destroyed just save precious Bangkok year after year. How would you feel if your moo ban was flooded year in and year out just to so the one next to you could be saved? If you can imagine that, then you can understand these people and their actions.

While Yingluck & Company can be, and should be, blamed for the mismanagement of this situation, they can't be blamed for the flood itself. And no one can convince me that any other government could/would do a better job.

For to many years the rich and powerful, which means about .05% of the population, have been allowed to destroy what is, supposedly, protected forest areas to build their mansions and resorts, thereby destroying the ecological balance that Mother Nature provided. For too many years these same people have built, or have allowed to be built, factories, housing and condo projects, and other structures in low lying areas that block the natural flow of water, with zero forethought of what might happen. For too many years the experts, both Thai and foreign, have done studies, made recommendations, and issued serious warnings about what could/would happen, but since there was no "graft" or "corruption" money in it for anyone, they were ignored.

If anyone is to blame for this situation it is EVERY member of EVERY government for the past 50+ years since the last flood for not doing what was necessary to prevent it from happening again.

The one good thing from this is now maybe, just maybe, they will listen to the experts and finally do what needs to be done for ALL of Thailand, and not just Bangkok. We can only hope.

Excellent post.

inner Bangkok dry, you get relief , food, shelter and donation......inner Bangkok wet you get nothing because now people have to worry for themself, simple as that.

Donations?!!! You're dreaming. Thai people have no concept of charity! They could watch you die in the street.... Just look how wealth is distributed in a RICH country like Thailand. How many humanitarian THAI organizations do you know of?

I'm sorry. I really have to strongly disagree with your comment: "Thai people have no concept of charity!" I think I learned more about generosity and charity from Thai people than from any other group of people on the planet, and I've lived in several places. If you look back at when the Tsunami hit, large numbers of young people and Thais of many professions went down to help. I would say that the charity and generosity displayed there was extraordinary.

With the floods, the restaurant where I often go to eat in the evening closed down for three days so the owners and staff (all part of the same family) could purchase and receive donations of food, then deliver it to people in I think Lopburi, at the time. It might have been Ang Thong. In any case, they put aside their ordinary business in order to be part of a caravan organized by a local temple. For the most part they refused donations of money, because they said they didn't want any questions to arise about how the money was spent. I for one am impressed by these actions.

And they are not isolated. Being outside of the flood zone, and walking down the street here, various people and organizations are collecting to provide assistance.

So I respectfully disagree with your comment. Besides my counter evidence, please remember that generalities like this about a whole culture are pretty much bound to be wrong.