Where To Find Uprated Mio 125 Brake Pads

karlos

The brakes on my Mio 125 have been fine for 20,000Km, however i have just had them replaced at Yamaha and the pads they used (after breaking them in and 1500Km later) fade a hell of a lot sooner than the pads that came with the bike did, they also lack power and bite too when compared to the originals :S

Yes yes, it's just a little Mio and she only has a single pot caliper with a milk bottle top for a disc brake but the pads last time around honestly were much better, does anyone know where i can get some uprated pads from, ideally a shop i can visit within Bangkok? :)

thank you in advance for any advice and/or links, Karl :)

What is your area? There are a ton of scooter and small bike shops with lots of aftermarket goodies.

Check out Chan Road area I believe it is soi 18 they have a large shop with many parts in stock

Narathiwat Soi 14 about 100m down entering from Narathiwat there is a small shop on the left. Very nice, old Chinese lady, forget her name though.

If you are heading north on Chan Road and make a left on Sathorn towards Thanon Tok/Rama 3, go down a couple hundred meters and on the left there is a large shop with 2 floors specializing in scooter stuff, mostly aftermarket, they even had Brembos for clicks and waves last time i was there. Not sure real or not. Big orange sign on the front.

Also Saphan Kwai just under the BTS has many shops. Sathu Pradit, the list goes on and on. Thais really love to fix those things up. Or if none of those work just ask a dek waan.

Thanks for the information, my area is Latkrabang (not far from Bang Kapi)

I have always been sceptical about the fake products and 150Baht 'uprated' brake pads. I guess it's going to be trial and error until i find something that works.

Edited by karlos

There is a shop in Bang Kapi at the intersection of Lat Prao and Srinakarin road. Its been a while since I've been there (roughly 2 years) so not sure its still there or still as nice, but last time i went they had lots of aftermarket stuff. Its was very clean, had good toolboxes full of good tools for the mechanics to use, which was very impressive. About the level of professionalism you would find at a factory garage here. i.e. Yamaha, Honda, etc. Nice lady runs it, speaks enough English to communicate as well.

Check the caliper for thickness?

I think you mean the disc, which is well within tolerance :)

I'll go and take a look at that shop today providing it's there / open due to the floods, thank you for your advice.

Karl

Check the caliper for thickness?

I think you mean the disc, which is well within tolerance :)

I'll go and take a look at that shop today providing it's there / open due to the floods, thank you for your advice.

Karl

hahah ya meant to say the disc. i dont think the caliper should have any issues wearing down over time :)

Did they use genuine Yamaha brake pads? If the genuine ones were OK before they should be OK now. I use genuine Yamaha pads on the Mio, XJR1200 and FJR1300 and have no problems with them, I changed them myself. Did you watch them they replaced the pads? Maybe they just pushed the pistons back in the caliper without cleaning them before they fitted the new pads. I have found the only way to do anything correctly is to do it yourself. It is hard to say what they have done, maybe air got in the system?

Did they use genuine Yamaha brake pads? If the genuine ones were OK before they should be OK now. I use genuine Yamaha pads on the Mio, XJR1200 and FJR1300 and have no problems with them, I changed them myself. Did you watch them they replaced the pads? Maybe they just pushed the pistons back in the caliper without cleaning them before they fitted the new pads. I have found the only way to do anything correctly is to do it yourself. It is hard to say what they have done, maybe air got in the system?

The Yamaha Franchise belongs to one of my girlfriend's friends, so the only thing i have to pay for (parts) are discounted hence the reason i don't work on the Mio myself, you wouldn't catch me being so laid back when it comes to my bigger bikes though :)

The new pads had Yamaha branding over the packaging and painted on the plate side of the brake pads BUT i'm guessing they were of a different compound to what was originally installed on the production line, they truly are terrible pads.

As you mentioned my first port of cool was to check the system for air, none found, i cleaned the disc and scuffed the pads up a little, tested the bike.... Same again.

Maybe the dirty flood water i had to ride through a last week soaked into the pads and whatever greasy crap was absorbed is now coming out every time the pads heat up.

I'll try some aftermarket pads first to see if i can kill two birds with one stone :)

If all fails i'll whack a set of Brembo MonoBlocs on the front and prepare myself for a lot of stoppies :D

I couldn't find the shop at the junction mentioned above, it may have been closed do to the recent flood chaos.

I did however find a shop near me that sold brake pads....69 baht....hmmmm might be worth a try but at 69 baht i doubt they will be much cop.

Next to those 69B brake pads there was a glass cabinet housing a twin pot brembo caliper, uprated master cylinder and a 250mm disc, mmmmmm.... over kill??

I'm going to try and do a bit of research online about the products i saw today and also a nice steep variator that i had my eyes on too.

It turned out to be a hose that runs to the front caliper (behind the bodywork of the bike)

The hose in question was expanding far too much when i applied more than moderate force upon the lever, it's a little scary to see this happen after just 6 months (22,000km's) of ownership.

Now if only i could find a genuine Goodridge or Earls brake line i'd have a little more confidence in her

Edited by karlos