Pm Asks Western Bangkok Residents For Patience As Flood Will Last Longer

Lite Beer

PM asks western Bangkok residents for patience as flood will last longer

image_201111041753416E3670D7-018D-915C-D903DFAE2892DBFF.jpg

BANGKOK, Nov 4 -- Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra on Friday told residents living in western Bangkok to come to terms with the severe flood sweeping those areas for weeks already as it would no doubt linger for a long period of time.

She said her government has no plan to relocate the Flood Relief Operations Centre (FROC) from the Energy Ministry headquarters after deep floodwater encroached Vibhavadi Rangsit Road.

Ms Yingluck chaired a meeting of FROC chiefs and Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) executives including Bangkok Governor Sukhumbhand Paribatra at Bangkok City Hall 2 in Din Daeng district to see the city operation in action tackling flood crisis.

Speaking to reporters after the meeting, Ms Yingluck admitted that there were some problems of cooperation, particularly regarding information and techniques, among the agencies concerned, and adjustments were needed to enable them to work together efficiently.

A working group will be set up to address flood problems in the long term, but there is no need to establish a new ministry to manage water concerns, she said.

“I would like to ask the people not to dismantle earthen dykes as I don’t want to take harsh measures against those who refuse to cooperate,” the prime minister said.

Ms Yingluck however said the situation in the east of Bangkok is gradually easing as the volume of water is diminishing, but western Bangkok is the main cause for concern as the water flowing through from Nonthaburi, Pathum Thani and Nakhon Pathom provinces is running into the Bangkok districts.

Western Bangkok has no infrastructure designed to handle waterflows of huge volumes, so some districts will be under water for a longer period. She asked local residents to understand and accept the situation.

Asking the people to be strong, Ms Yingluck said there would be no more additional holidays. FROC will not be relocated even if the water on Vibhavadi Rangsit Road reaches its offices at the Energy Ministry, located behind PTT headquarters.

The Bangkok governor told Ms Yingluck that the capital’s drainage system was designed to respond heavy downpour-induced inundation but not the massive run-off from the north.

Governor Sukhumbhand expressed concern that Bangkok would face a critical situation from flood if the authorities cannot convince residents near Khlong 8-10 to understand the reasons for closing the sluice gates at Khlong 8-10.

BMA Drainage and Sewerage Department Director Sanya Cheenimitr told the meeting that if the authorities could prevent the floodwater from the east and west of Bangkok from entering inner Bangkok, it was expected that the water could be drained out into the sea within 2-3 weeks.

He also expressed worried that if the huge sandbags could not work properly to prevent flood water, the flood would enter into inner Bangkok.

The authorities are using unusually large 2.5 tonne sandbags piled for five kilometres at the Chulalongkorn sluice gate in an attempt to restrain the deluge from the north from overflowing into inner Bangkok.

The action is expected to reduce water overflowing into two key roads, Phaholyothin and Vibhavadi, as well as Khlong Prapa, the main source of tap water in the capital and neighbouring provinces. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2011-11-04

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Come to terms with the flood", eh? Well, we'll see about that. The person who needs to come to terms with things is the incompetent, arrogant, indifferent PM who puts in worthless PR appearances, makes inarticulate contradictory statements from one day to the next, and then is paralyzed into inaction and reaction. And, now, to top it all off, she comes out with this "shut up and put up with it" statement. It doesn't matter whether you believe in Jesus, Buddha, Allah, or Zeus, this sort of tinpot arrogance will meet its comeuppance soon enough.

"Come to terms with the flood", eh? Well, we'll see about that. The person who needs to come to terms with things is the incompetent, arrogant, indifferent PM who puts in worthless PR appearances, makes inarticulate contradictory statements from one day to the next, and then is paralyzed into inaction and reaction. And, now, to top it all off, she comes out with this "shut up and put up with it" statement. It doesn't matter whether you believe in Jesus, Buddha, Allah, or Zeus, this sort of tinpot arrogance will meet its comeuppance soon enough.

As she would say "Let Them Eat Cake"

It is really getting bad here and no information. My neighbor has not in his small house 15 people and 3 dogs upstair and of course the toilet does not work. And all we get is that PR bs.

If she would that "we are sorry we messed it up and we have no idea how long it will need, but we try to improve the situation" she would have my sympathy.

I saw here: a group of policemen came to stay in the villa of a police boss to protect it (they just stay inside day and night)

I hear day and night the army and you can get somewhere on a truck to somewhere and back.

Once the Democrats came and brought some care packages. But complete without promotion. If the neighbor wouldn't know them we would not have recognized them.

Where is the government, where the police, where are all the red shirts?

"... it would no doubt linger for a long period of time"

could be a little more specific, this sounds like an eternity.

the previous estimations, just before the flood in bangkok within the last week, were for 30-45 days. But when the flood has already come, nobody comes with any figures.

looks, like they are scared to say, as not to upset millions of bangkokians

There is a report in a major English language newspaper that Governor Sukhumbhand is angry because requested for pumps for Thonburi (Phasi Charoen) have not arrived.

The Irrigation Department claims they never received the letter while the municipal government said they submitted it via FROC.

lol

You can be assured they'll say they're doing something important.

Like licking the boats of a great leader who is currently in Dubai?

"The Bangkok governor told Ms Yingluck that the capital’s drainage system was designed to respond heavy downpour-induced inundation but not the massive run-off from the north".

He got it right with this one. Heavy rainfall-run-off has to be dealt by those big dams in the north such as Bhumibol & Sirkit. Unfortunately, they have failed dramatically. Those two dams have the total storage capacity close to 17billion cubic meter. This figure is actually bigger than the troubled flood water which is just over 10billion cubic meter. My estimate is that these two dams shall be prepared to hold at least 7 billion cubic meter during the peak monsoon. Unfortunately, at least during the recent flood event, these two dams even released at least 0.5billion cubic meter of flood water in less than a week. That made task deficit of 7.5 billion cubic meter. Too bad if the authorities are still struggling to explain what was going on.

Anyway, that drainage is still can be used to divert a fraction of flood water to the open sea. Just control the sluice gates to pass water without allowing any spill over. Then, everybody is happy irrespectively what color of shirts they are wearing....

I just wonder what the 2000 + smaller flood control dams were doing during the recent event.

There is a report in a major English language newspaper that Governor Sukhumbhand is angry because requested for pumps for Thonburi (Phasi Charoen) have not arrived.

The Irrigation Department claims they never received the letter while the municipal government said they submitted it via FROC.

lol

And FROC is continually loading, unloading and paddling to escape the ever expanding and rising waters.

I am sick and tired of hearing about how much more I will have to sacrifice in this charade.

Fine. Some Phua Thai big wig decides he doesn't want the farmers in his province to have to suffer and orders the RID to ignore the meterologists and keep the water in the dams, thereby precipitating this crisis. Now, I am told I need to suffer even longer to pay for their political BS.

I'm pissed. Truly. There is over a million baht in damage in my house. I'll accept as much hardship as needed to get everyone out of this disaster, BUT PAY ME DAMNIT!!!!

30,000 baht for your screwup? What an insult. There is only one thing that can fix this Miss Bad Luck Yingluck. Money. Lots of it. Not your pissy 30k maximum either. Promise each resident of Western Bangkok another 200k for their additional 2 weeks of sacrifice, as well as real relief for everyone who was affected by your political crony's bad policy, and then maybe you'll get that patience you want.

Money is the only thing that will fix this. It was one of yours who created this crisis miss PM. You need to fix it. Don't ask me for patience. Mine has run out. I'm going to set up a yurt in the middle of Ratchaprasong intersection until you start being reasonable. If it is good enough for your precious red shirts, it is good enough for me.

And anyone who thinks I don't deserve to rant is someone who deserves to lose everything the way I have.

Opps! Let the people suffer while I'm waiting for the paperwork that has to be signed by 6 officials, one that fled the flood to Hong Kong, and must have the 13 officail stamps on it and they ran out of ink yesterday and can't find anymore because 7-11 sleves are empty!

lol

I feel awful for everyone who has lost so much

It is so sad to see Gov't and FROC unable to do anything useful

All they seem to be good at is photo ops

Why have we not heard from Yingluck older brother ... seems to me

he has tossed his sister under the bus

It is really getting bad here and no information. My neighbor has not in his small house 15 people and 3 dogs upstair and of course the toilet does not work. And all we get is that PR bs.

If she would that "we are sorry we messed it up and we have no idea how long it will need, but we try to improve the situation" she would have my sympathy.

I saw here: a group of policemen came to stay in the villa of a police boss to protect it (they just stay inside day and night)

I hear day and night the army and you can get somewhere on a truck to somewhere and back.

Once the Democrats came and brought some care packages. But complete without promotion. If the neighbor wouldn't know them we would not have recognized them.

In order to make myself useful since I evacuated a week ago, I went in with a relief truck yesterday into lamlukka in Pathomthani. They told me they have been living off relief supplies for over a month but that NOTHING has come in from the government and no government official has visited them--an NGO and private donations make up their suppliers. The lesson is, if you're staying in Thawi Wattana, you and your neighbors will need to organize things yourself. Effectively, Yingluck and the BMA have told you (and me) to go to hell. In Lamlukka, the mayor, a teacher, and a nurse seemed to be at the center of the organization. But I will also say this, Lamlukka was in better shape than my area on Phutthamonthon Sai 3, where EVERYTHING is under a meter or more of water. You can't go anywhere without a boat. Large swathes of Lamlukka were dry and/or sealed off from the flood waters.

BTW, for gregb, as for whatever amount of money the authorities agree to pass out, because we're foreigners, I doubt we'll get a single baht.

Would anyone agree? that Thailand is a messed right now? because someone is totally fuc_ked up!!! where are all the wannabe heroes?

they're all gone and scared like a rat, hiding somewhere safe... soon bangkok will be totally flooded and Thailand's economy will crash down up to the point that Vietnam will rise up in sky rocket.. jap.gif

The business elite left for their UK and Singapore condos a long time ago. Maybe some are bivouaced in at their in Bangkok villas with the high shrubbery covered concrete walls with the cut glass cemented in to the top. We'll have to see how long the water lasts once Bangkok gets inundated. Many people say that water is starting to come through the floor in many locations in inner Bangkok. Not surprising since it's sitting on silt, sand, and clay. So after all the water is drained, then the cleanup goes in to phase two or three. The cleanup will never be done properly for two reasons. It will be monumental and almost impossible to really clean. Secondly, the Thai politics and maneuvering for money and grabbing power will interfere with and impede any legitimate effort to get it right. They will open shop with muck and residue fecal matter still on the baseboards and walls and windows and doors. It will never be clean up. Soon after serious mold will form, people will get deathly sick from terrible bacteria mold. But all the people have to do now, according to the leadership, is be patient. What a mess.

I am sick and tired of hearing about how much more I will have to sacrifice in this charade.

Fine. Some Phua Thai big wig decides he doesn't want the farmers in his province to have to suffer and orders the RID to ignore the meterologists and keep the water in the dams, thereby precipitating this crisis. Now, I am told I need to suffer even longer to pay for their political BS.

I'm pissed. Truly. There is over a million baht in damage in my house. I'll accept as much hardship as needed to get everyone out of this disaster, BUT PAY ME DAMNIT!!!!

30,000 baht for your screwup? What an insult. There is only one thing that can fix this Miss Bad Luck Yingluck. Money. Lots of it. Not your pissy 30k maximum either. Promise each resident of Western Bangkok another 200k for their additional 2 weeks of sacrifice, as well as real relief for everyone who was affected by your political crony's bad policy, and then maybe you'll get that patience you want.

Money is the only thing that will fix this. It was one of yours who created this crisis miss PM. You need to fix it. Don't ask me for patience. Mine has run out. I'm going to set up a yurt in the middle of Ratchaprasong intersection until you start being reasonable. If it is good enough for your precious red shirts, it is good enough for me.

And anyone who thinks I don't deserve to rant is someone who deserves to lose everything the way I have.

I am not entering the political discussion of which Gov't would have coped better with floods. Or how much money should be paid to people in compensation for their damages. But one issue has been overlooked here: HEALTH DANGER to people wading in sewerage infested water. The results will surely appear in all forms. Sooner rather than later. But the Gov't inaction in this respect is bordering on criminal. Huge numbers of people are forced to stay in BKK, live in inhuman conditions and risk their health and very lives, by being forced to KEEP TURNING UP FOR WORK, UNDER THE THREAT OF LOSING THEIR JOBS FOR NOT TURNING UP! This situation is directly manageable by the Gov't, yet they prefer to issue emotional pleas and slogans. They can make themselves look good and concerned on TV, but when people will start to die of contageous disease this once again be written off as 'accidents caused by natural disaster'. Thai people must realise that this coming new malady is not accidental, but a direct result of Gov't policy.

Many people in BKK would opt to go out of the city, if they were free to make such a choice without the risk of losing their jobs.

Ms. Yingluck, please, act quickly on this one, or take the blame for inaction in the near and certain future. :jap:

PM Asks Western Bangkok Residents For Patience As Flood Will Last Longer

BANGKOK, Nov 4 -- Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra on Friday told residents living in western Bangkok to come to terms with the severe flood sweeping those areas for weeks already as it would no doubt linger for a long period of time.

preceded by

BANGKOK, Oct 30 -- Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra yesterday urged Bangkok residents to be patient and refrain from destroying water barriers as the worst flood crisis in more than five decades was expected to pass soon.

"Please hang on for a few more days," she said.

which was preceded by

BANGKOK, Oct 16 -- Agriculture Minister Theera Wongsamut assured Bangkok residents living along the Chao Phraya River that the worst is over.

At the Flood Relief Operations Centre press conference today, he added that water level in Singburi and Ayutthaya tends to be lower today as massive run-off from Nakhon Sawan has passed Bangkok.

In order to make myself useful since I evacuated a week ago, I went in with a relief truck yesterday into lamlukka in Pathomthani. They told me they have been living off relief supplies for over a month but that NOTHING has come in from the government and no government official has visited them--an NGO and private donations make up their suppliers. The lesson is, if you're staying in Thawi Wattana, you and your neighbors will need to organize things yourself. Effectively, Yingluck and the BMA have told you (and me) to go to hell. In Lamlukka, the mayor, a teacher, and a nurse seemed to be at the center of the organization. But I will also say this, Lamlukka was in better shape than my area on Phutthamonthon Sai 3, where EVERYTHING is under a meter or more of water. You can't go anywhere without a boat. Large swathes of Lamlukka were dry and/or sealed off from the flood waters.

BTW, for gregb, as for whatever amount of money the authorities agree to pass out, because we're foreigners, I doubt we'll get a single baht.

Well here, the few people who didn't left are from deep south or Chinese....they cooperate very well together. (and the policemen who are with a lot supply locked into the police boss house, we never see them).

This Moo Baan has a Southern owner and a lot Southeners and Chinese. I am sure the Democrats have here a strong majority and only a few PTP votes. That might explain the lack of support.

I am not entering the political discussion of which Gov't would have coped better with floods. Or how much money should be paid to people in compensation for their damages. But one issue has been overlooked here: HEALTH DANGER to people wading in sewerage infested water. The results will surely appear in all forms. Sooner rather than later. But the Gov't inaction in this respect is bordering on criminal. Huge numbers of people are forced to stay in BKK, live in inhuman conditions and risk their health and very lives, by being forced to KEEP TURNING UP FOR WORK, UNDER THE THREAT OF LOSING THEIR JOBS FOR NOT TURNING UP! This situation is directly manageable by the Gov't, yet they prefer to issue emotional pleas and slogans. They can make themselves look good and concerned on TV, but when people will start to die of contageous disease this once again be written off as 'accidents caused by natural disaster'. Thai people must realise that this coming new malady is not accidental, but a direct result of Gov't policy.

Many people in BKK would opt to go out of the city, if they were free to make such a choice without the risk of losing their jobs.

Ms. Yingluck, please, act quickly on this one, or take the blame for inaction in the near and certain future. :jap:

I Did actually see a pretty fair health advisory on TV yesterday. Probably, though, a very small percentage of people will see it. Also, I saw on TV a heart-warming video clip of rescue workers delivering a 12-pack of bottled water to a household. How far will that go towards a household's needs for clean water? Not far.

If Ms PM is asking people to be patient, she ought to be giving them some real tools to cope with their situations in the meantime, such as water filters rather than bottled water, ways to dispose of sewage, and health advisories that will reach people and give them information on how to survive this.

I can annecdotally back this one up.

Some of my wife's cousins were due to come stay with us (relocate from Bangkok to Chonburi). At first, they couldn't get out, due to the flooding (they can't swim, and are in a badly hit area). By the time systems were able to move around (military trucks, I'm told), they were required to go to work. One of them works at a beauty supply shop. Who is buying make-up in Bangkok right now?! But, she is told, if she doesn't come to work, they'll fire her. Now, she is sick (red spots all over) - from the stagnant, infested flood waters.

I can annecdotally back this one up.

Some of my wife's cousins were due to come stay with us (relocate from Bangkok to Chonburi). At first, they couldn't get out, due to the flooding (they can't swim, and are in a badly hit area). By the time systems were able to move around (military trucks, I'm told), they were required to go to work. One of them works at a beauty supply shop. Who is buying make-up in Bangkok right now?! But, she is told, if she doesn't come to work, they'll fire her. Now, she is sick (red spots all over) - from the stagnant, infested flood waters.

Puntmeister, I'm sorry for your loved ones.

You must be really insensitive to the Nation's woes at this critical times, asking silly questions about who needs make-up products now in BKK.

First,- your cousins. How are they going to cover the red spots?

Second,- the Gov't. How can they appear on TV and look good?

As to the red spots, black spots, crock inflicted wounds, snake bites, disentery and cholera,- all these things are unfortunate, unforseen and unpredictable events, for which nobody is responsible. Right? :blink::ermm::rolleyes:

Second

Puntmeister, I'm sorry for your loved ones.

You must be really insensitive to the Nation's woes at this critical times, asking silly questions about who needs make-up products now in BKK.

First,- your cousins. How are they going to cover the red spots?

Second,- the Gov't. How can they appear on TV and look good?

As to the red spots, black spots, crock inflicted wounds, snake bites, disentery and cholera,- all these things are unfortunate, unforseen and unpredictable events, for which nobody is responsible. Right? :blink::ermm::rolleyes:

Second

Why would anyone want to cover up the red spots? Don't you know there are boats with stickers on them saying "For red spots only"?

I truly wish that Abhisit was still in power, just so that everyone could see how totally useless would be his efforts to cope with the floods, with information, and with relief supplies. Most Thais could not organise a booze up in a brewery. No one can correct in a few months the mistakes that have been accumulating for years. It's nice to blame and abuse Yingluck, but she is simply the current scapegoat and her abusers just show a lack of scientific and historical perspective.

I truly wish that Abhisit was still in power, just so that everyone could see how totally useless would be his efforts to cope with the floods, with information, and with relief supplies. Most Thais could not organise a booze up in a brewery. No one can correct in a few months the mistakes that have been accumulating for years. It's nice to blame and abuse Yingluck, but she is simply the current scapegoat and her abusers just show a lack of scientific and historical perspective.

Yingluck was placed there to be a scapegoat until HE arrives back (but even the almighty will have a rude awakening).

Because the P.M. is taking some flack as anyone in any country would---she will have to take it, if her decisions were wrong she will have to take the consequences in the end...that's what she is paid for, (this is what people tend to forget).

As for your hatred of Abhisit, (seems that way with most of your posts) as when there is a red party problem you always bring him back into it, and to say what he would have done in Yinglucks position is pure speculation, and anti democratic stance. Why not treat things as they are now and denounce when things are wrong rather than use other people as a scapegoat.

Yingluck was placed there to be a scapegoat until HE arrives back (but even the almighty will have a rude awakening).

Because the P.M. is taking some flack as anyone in any country would---she will have to take it, if her decisions were wrong she will have to take the consequences in the end...that's what she is paid for, (this is what people tend to forget).

As for your hatred of Abhisit, (seems that way with most of your posts) as when there is a red party problem you always bring him back into it, and to say what he would have done in Yinglucks position is pure speculation, and anti democratic stance. Why not treat things as they are now and denounce when things are wrong rather than use other people as a scapegoat.

I think you misunderstand me, I don't hate Abhisit, however I do dislike those people who think the sun shines out of his anal orifice and that he can do no wrong. If I sound over supportive of Yingluck see it as partly an attempt at balance and partly that as a scientist with expertise in disaster management (in the UK) I realise that there is very little she can do at this time. It is not just inexperience, it is inheriting a structure where numerous agencies each has an axe to grind, an image to protect. Where the Governor of Bangkok and MP of both parties roam around like loose cannons. A country where scientific advice has always been subordinate to immediate financial gain.

After these floods there is potentially a bigger disaster looming, rather than preparing for it people are wasting time with political bickering, farangs and Thais alike, sad and pathetic.