Retirement Visa

Well I've now had it confirmed by at 4 (rather surprised) Chiang Mai immigration employees that I do not have to renew my multiple entry retirement visa (Expired in Oct 2011) because my "Extension of stay" (passport stamp) is for one year and that expires in July 2012. When I said that I'd like to renew it, they said that I couldn't - until June 2012 (30 days before the stamp date). Or I could always go back to Australia to renew it right now - which I don't want to do. And it is also true that if I leave the country before July 2012, I would need a reentry-permit to re-enter.

The question is: When I renew the visa, what do they actually put in my passport? A new visa with a years validity? And do I have to leave the country and re-enter? Or do they give me another passport stamp (Extension of stay) at the same time? If they don't do that, then long term retirees would have to leave the country every year????

Thanks,

Doz

If your extension of stay expires in July 2012 then go in with all of the required paperwork within the last 30 days of it validity and they will extend it for another year. No need to leave the country.

You clearly have a multiple entry O-A visa, and it sounds like you exited Thailand during the initial year, thus getting an additional year stay stamped into your passport on entry.

Now to stay further after July 2012, yes indeed apply for an annual extension of stay based on retirement at CM immigration June 2012 (with qualifying financial proof) You DO NOT need a new visa. You DO NOT need to travel back to Australia. Under current Thai law you may apply for continuous annual extensions based on retirement for the rest of your life, all without ever needing a new visa other than the original O-A you started with. That is, unless you break the chain of extensions, then you can start over with an O-A or O.

Reentry permits may be purchased anytime from Thai immigration, single entries, or multiple entries, protecting any current allowed stay period. Buy as needed or don't buy if not needed.

Edited by Jingthing

Hi,

If your extension of stay (retirement stamp), expires for example, on the 29th July 2012, if you go to renew on June 30th 2012, (30 days early), you will get a further extension until July 29th 2013, that is you won't lose 30 days, for going early to renew........that's always been my experience, and I've been retired here quite a few years now.

Also the qualifying financial proof, as mentioned by Jingthing, if you use the money in the Bank method, make sure that the Bank letter, and the copies of your bank statement or book have the same date, which should ideally be the day you apply, though depending how far you are from an immigration office, a day or two before the application is usually acceptable....at the immigration officers discretion. Also ensure the money has been in the Bank for the qualifying period, which offhand I can't remember, I'm sure someone will post what it is, if you're unsure. As long as you complete the relevant documents, particularly the 90 day reports, you should never have to leave Thailand again, unless you want to, of course. Ensure you get a re-entry permit if you do leave, as this will allow entry back to Thailand, and allow you to go back on the retirement extension, without the hassle of qualifying again with the O, or O-A visa.

Hope this helps, good luck.

I always keep one re-entry permit in my passport rather than "buying as needed". I've seen too many retirees called away suddenly for a family emergency, only to have to add "go to immigration" on their "to-do" list during the 24 hours that they scramble to find a flight, tie up lose ends in Chiang Mai and deal with whatever the family emergency is over the phone.

Yes, I know you can get a re-entry permit at Swampy, they aren't open 24/7 there. Nor is the local immigration office open 24/7 to issue re-entry permits. I know of one person who had to abandon his O-A visa due to lack of time to get a re-entry permit before leaving the country. Sure, it's not the end of the world, but it does make for some hassle in re-entering on a 30-day visa exempt status, getting a 90 day O visa at CM immigration during those 30 days and then applying for a 12-month retirement extension during the last 30 days of that 90 day O visa. Makes for two trips to the consulate and paying for two income verification notarizations. A 1000 baht re-entry permit in the passport would have been much, much cheaper and less hassle.

And paying 2,000 baht to a Consulate for a single entry non immigrant O visa while away could have avoided most of this bother/expense and extra trip to immigration for most. But agree single re-entry at time of extension is good insurance for most people.

And paying 2,000 baht to a Consulate for a single entry non immigrant O visa while away could have avoided most of this bother/expense and extra trip to immigration for most. But agree single re-entry at time of extension is good insurance for most people.

Yes, that's an option, but they don't have Thai consulates in every major U.S. city and often the reason that a retiree got called out of Thailand suddenly is going to consume most of their time in their home country. Plus, you'd still have to pay $50 to the U.S. consulate in Chiang Mai to extend that newly issued O visa into a 12-month retirement extension once back in Chiang Mai.

Do they have multi entry reentry visas? And a price?

Are you asking about re-entry permits or Consulates visas?

For extensions of stay re-entry single 1,000 and multi 3,800 baht.

For visa retirement O-A single 2,000 and multi 5,000 in local currency. This requires med/police in home country and allows one year stay on entry (each entry).

For visa O single 2,000 and multi 5,000 (multi valid for one year of up to 90 day stays).