Transport Minister Expects Bangkok Floods To Ease In 2 Weeks

webfact

Minister Expects Bangkok Floods to Ease in 2 Weeks

The transport minister has expressed confidence that the “big bag” flood defense line will help the floodwater recede within two weeks.

Transport Minister Sukampol Suwannathat expressed confidence that the floodwater flowing in from the north will recede within two weeks as the flood walls created by stacking “big bags,” or one ton sandbags, have already been built.

The Transport Ministry laid the “big bag” flood defense lines to stop the floodwater from flowing in from the northern part of Bangkok.

However, some people are skeptical as the water continues pouring into the capital despite the fact that the flood barriers were completed two days ago.

About the claim made by his personal secretary that former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra has ordered he be dismissed from the Cabinet, Sukampol said that he has not heard about this but will inquire with his secretary about the matter.

On November 5, a number of Pheu Thai MPs and party members, including some red-shirt leaders, traveled to India for a religious pilgrimage organized by Thaksin.

During the trip, Thaksin discussed the flooding situation with the MPs, asserting that the the country must be fully restored within three months.

However, there were reports that at the meeting the transport minister was criticized for abusing his authority.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-11-07

footer_n.gif

Rama II to be inundated: transport minister

Transport Minister ACM Sukampol Suwannathat said Monday that the Rama II Road, which links Bangkok to the South will be left to be flooded.

Sukampol said Rama II is near the sea so any effort to keep it dry would delay the draining of water into the sea as well.

He said motorists travelling to the South should instead take the Bangbua Thong - Suphan Buri Road to go to Nakhon Pathom instead of using Rama II Road.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-11-07

The Transport Ministry laid the “big bag” flood defense lines to stop the floodwater from flowing in from the northern part of Bangkok.

If that doesn't work we can always try the "bigger bags" flood defense option. :rolleyes:

During the trip, Thaksin discussed the flooding situation with the MPs, asserting that the the country must be fully restored within three months.

Odd ..... his time-frame is usually six.

He's gotten older and time is short!

"During the trip, Thaksin discussed the flooding situation with the MPs, asserting that the the country must be fully restored within three months"

What is wrong with this guy, he must think he is the God

Well, after all:

On November 5, a number of Pheu Thai MPs and party members, including some red-shirt leaders, traveled to India for a religious pilgrimage organized by Thaksin.

"During the trip, Thaksin discussed the flooding situation with the MPs, asserting that the the country must be fully restored within three months"

Well, after all:

Maybe they went to Ayodhya (the non-flooded one or Lumbini while they were there.

Perhaps k.Thaksin feels the need to do great things in his reincarnation?

And yes, everything will be back to normal in three months with divine intervention.:whistling:

I guess unlike a former PM who was sorely missed in these dire times, these MP's could stay away for a moment. I hope they found the inner peace they probably sought :rolleyes:

Well you can credit Thaksin with having a following wherever he travels. It would appear that he left a few folks out of the discussion circle, with his 3 month mandate. This seems to be another habit which he has not been able to get past. I was hoping we would be spared any mention of the man, much less his blathering, for the next few months while some good souls try to do something positive for all sectors of the Thai system.

Well you can credit Thaksin with having a following wherever he travels. It would appear that he left a few folks out of the discussion circle, with his 3 month mandate. This seems to be another habit which he has not been able to get past. I was hoping we would be spared any mention of the man, much less his blathering, for the next few months while some good souls try to do something positive for all sectors of the Thai system.

Mr Thaksin has a following wherever he travels in much the same way a lion has a following wherever it goes. Namely jackals, hyenas and vultures.

Any connection between lions and politicians is purely incidental.

October 16th

Agriculture Minister Theera Wongsamut assured Bangkok residents living along the Chao Phraya River that the worst is over

October 30th

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra yesterday urged Bangkok residents to be patient as the worst flood crisis in more than five decades was expected to pass soon.

November 7th

Transport Minister Sukampol Suwannathat expressed confidence that the floodwater flowing in from the north will recede within two weeks

I believe it's the Labor Minister's turn to be due up next in 2 weeks to reassure Bangkok that the floods are nearly done.

Edited by Buchholz

I guess unlike a former PM who was sorely missed in these dire times, these MP's could stay away for a moment. I hope they found the inner peace they probably sought :rolleyes:

Indeed. What happened to all the vociferous Maldives posters? :ermm:

It is a real joke that the Transport Minister can ease the flood within 2 weeks. It is better for the government and BMA to tell the truth instead bringing the people round the bush. Let the people ready for the worst scenario.

If the Big Bags doesn't work, what will end up? It will create a real tsunami flood to Bangkok because the water level will increase till the high of the big bags as well 6km range distance. Never play a fool with water.

Indeed. What happened to all the vociferous Maldives posters? :ermm:

They went on a holiday to India.

The sad thing is that these political truth benders believe themselves too and they think Mr. and Mrs Somchai are as silly as they are too.

Went to Suvarnabhumi airport today to pick up a visiting friend. Had the chance to overhear (eavesdrop on) a Thai mother talking to her perhaps 8 or 9-year-old son. He asked whether it's true that ALL airplanes are OWNED by Thai people. Mom explained to him that it was not true, and went on to point out the different airlines and their home countries. The mother was dressed very well, Chinese-looking and obviously rather berated at her son's question. She looked at me a couple of times, but I played it cool and pretended not to understand Thai. I can only guess, but I think she was rather flabbergasted at her son's notion that ALL airplanes are OWNED by Thai people, and she probably wondered where and how he would pick up such misinformation.

Another facet to Thailand, the HUB of misinformation, where information is juggled as it pleases Krusty the Clown. Or Homer Simpson. Or Dubai.

Yeah, the silence is deafening. Where's the outrage for the MP's leaving the country during a flood. My only outrage is that more didn't leave and for longer.

Well, he is, isn't he?

And on the fourth month, T will rest.

Edited by erobando

Anybody who thinks it will be better in two weeks is deluding themselves. The satellite pics still show a huge mass of water and a 6 km big bag dam is not going to help.

Assuming that every two weeks a different member of the cabinet says that the situation will get better in two weeks, one of them will eventually strike paydirt.

Edited by yoshiwara

Well, he is, isn't he?

And on the fourth month, T will rest.

Whilst awaiting a visit from the next group of Unwise Men seeking Gifts or Instructions ? :rolleyes:

Edited by Ricardo