Grand Hillside.......anyone Know Of It?

dan@fresh

Hillside is the fancy one on Huay Kaew isn't it? Say about half-way between Central and the Rincome intersection?

ANyway, why aren't they selling.. Perhasps they want 2-3 times the price of a nice house for a pretty cramped condo-apartment?

Condo's make a lot of sense in places like Bangkok, Hong Kong and Singapore.. in Chiang Mai, drive the additional 8 minutes and get a nice house and yard..

(All strictly IMHO, of course. :o I don't really see why a cramped condo should cost more money than a cramped townhouse/row-house, i.e. 500K-800K or so.. Yet they want millions of baht for them!

Hillside is the fancy one on Huay Kaew isn't it? Say about half-way between Central and the Rincome intersection?

ANyway, why aren't they selling..  Perhasps they want 2-3 times the price of a nice house for a pretty cramped condo-apartment?

Condo's make a lot of sense in places like Bangkok, Hong Kong and Singapore.. in Chiang Mai, drive the additional 8 minutes and get a nice house and yard..

(All strictly IMHO, of course. :o  I don't really see why a cramped condo should cost more money than a cramped townhouse/row-house, i.e. 500K-800K or so.. Yet they want millions of baht for them!

chanchao,

they are between 2 and 12 million baht for 1 - 3 beds.

is this too high?

look at Fresh Invest for more details.

2- 12 million is a big range.. :o Prices quoted are in UK pounds, so I get the feeling it's not quite directly from the source either..

It's not too high for anyone willing to pay that for an apartment in town. 3 bedroom detached houses outside of town start at like 3-5 mil baht.

2- 12 million is a big range.. :o  Prices quoted are in UK pounds, so I get the feeling it's not quite directly from the source either..

It's not too high for anyone willing to pay that for an apartment in town.  3 bedroom detached houses outside of town start at like 3-5 mil baht.

I paid 2.8 mil for a large (151sq m) three-BR condo in a quiet, leafy area near the university. I prefer condo living as I travel frequently and find the added 24-hr security very handy, not to mention availability of a swimming pool, weekly maid service and someone to pay the bills while I'm gone. The title is in my name, and I have a tha-bian baan booklet in my name as well. Both of these help with PR (permanent residency) and PM (peace of mind). :D Not for everybody, if you have kids and pets a house is the way to go I'm sure.

> Just really wanted to know if peope had heard of the building

> and what their thought were?

Big, high-end luxury condominium building. Very, very good location on Huay Kaew road, close to the shopping mall (Central) and ring road. As far as condo locations go, it's among the very best, keepin gin mind that they cant build structures that size actually in the city center.

THey started a second big building behind the original one, just as the Asian economic crisis hit in the late nineties. That building has remained unfisnished for years and years, but I presume it's finished now. You'd have to chexck that actual apartment in person to see how the location is relative to the main building, what the view is like, etc.

While it IS close to the ring road as I mentioned earlier, getting there from the Huay Kaew exit would require an impossible U-turn in rush hour. That traffic situation is not improving the coming years to put it mildly! I'm not sure ifg there is a back-exit towards the Superhighway, but if there is then that would be great. If not, then traffic jams will become an increasing concern in the years to come.

THey started a second big building behind the original one, just as the Asian economic crisis hit  in the late nineties. That building has remained unfisnished for years and years, but I presume it's finished now.  You'd have to chexck that actual apartment in person to see how the location is relative to the main building, what the view is like, etc.

It was built nearly twenty years ago, and has remained a skeleton untill recent times. There was a demolition order on it originally, as it was deemed an illegal construction on account of no planning permission (read not enough paid to the city surveyor) Magically it has been completed in the last couple of years, and one has to wonder exactly how much was needed to "surmount" the existing orders :o

Poor access from small sois does not enhance the fact that the structure has been rotting away quietly in the back blocks.

Pantip Plaza is another example. It was shell of a structure for eons, till it magically sprung to life.

wow that is intersting. thanks all.

It is Grand Hillside 5 so im not sure if thats the same one, leads me to believe there have been 4 before this one!

One in the same Dan. I actually went to have a look to see how they had hidden all the rusting reinforcing and crumbling cement. Ten coats of the best Thai paint did a great job :o

I was going to buy in Hillside 5 in June 05, but it got too complicated as the whole block was under offer from a company in Singapore.

I bought in Hillside 4 (next door) instead.

So far, everything has been fine and staff have been very helpful and friendly.

I am a lot happier when returning to the UK knowing I have 24/7 security in the building, and nice neighbours too.

There is a rear exit out of the underground car park.

P.S. Great views and no snakes (can't work the elevator)

Edited by Markymark

I live in Hillside 4. I really like it.... The small units are not huge at 45 sqm but very good quality and there are a lot of units being renovated.... Great views. Lots of amenities like 2 swimming pools and a health club....

I just rent and you can expect to pay between 8,000 and 12,000 Bhat a month for a studio. I find the place quiet and run well. Very good restaurant and room service at reasonable prices. If you can afford it I highly recommend it... I like it because I dont want to worry about security and maintenance issues. Also its nicknamed Falang Towers since so many westerners live there so you will have someone to talk to and the staff can speak some english so you don't feel like a complete retard.

It is a little funky getting there but with a little practice its not hard to do it efficiently. Its particularly easy on a scooter to pull a U turn at Rin Kham intersection. Its really nice location wise because you can walk to Central shopping center in about 5 minutes as well as some markets nearby.

3 Million for a 44 sqm condo, or respectively 9 million for a 135 sqm condo sounds like a total rip off (targeted at foreign buyers of course), if one considers that a 150 sqm middleclass single house, or respectively a 300 sqm high end single house with gardens can be owned at the same price in the vicinity (5m drive) of that place.

X-Pat

A property's value is what it will sell for.

Condo ownership is attractive to farangs because of the vagaries of Thai property law in respect of foreign ownership of land. Accordingly, this makes the cost comparision between a condo and a house rather academic for many people.

Useful info here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/own_land_thailand.0.html

For a farang who wants to be in a good city location, and who is often out of the country, a condo is the sensible choice.

• 10 months later...

you can rent directly from the owner; Hillside 4 mountain view fl. 9&12. 45 sq.m., 1 A/C, 1 TV., 1 fridge, 1 microwave, water heater, telephone line, kitchen area, security guard 24 hours, key card, restuarant, swimming pool, Suthep view. 6 months/1 yr contract would be more prefer. 10,000-12,000 Bht.

[E-mail addresses removed as per Thaivisa forum policy. Please PM this poster for more contact details. /Meadish]