740 locations in Bangkok under water as flooding continues

News_Editor

740 locations in Bangkok under water as flooding continues

2011-11-08 08:39:24 GMT+7 (ICT)

BANGKOK (BNO NEWS) -- At least 470 locations in the Thai capital of Bangkok have been submerged by high flood waters, affecting hundreds of thousands of people, a survey by the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) showed on Monday.

Bangkok Governor Sukhumbhand Paribatra said 470 spots in the capital city are now under at least 80 centimeters (31 inches) of water, affecting more than 800,000 people. The locations are in Sai Mai, Nong Khaem, Bang Phlat, Khlong Sam Wa, Bang Khae, Min Buri and other flood-hit districts.

"The BMA has ordered the district offices and their agencies to pay special attention to these places because a large number of people, especially the elderly, have not evacuated the area. This is particularly worrisome," Sukhumbhand said.

Bangkok authorities declared more sub-districts evacuation areas on Monday because of the heavy flooding, which has affected the country for months. The people in the affected sub-districts were advised to seek refuge at BMA evacuation centers.

Many roads across the city are impassable to small vehicles, while commercial buildings, shops, offices and banks have been closed due to the flood waters. The Bangkok Transit System skytrain and Mass Rapid Transit underground trains are still operating as usual although the floodwater at some stations is more than 50 centimeters (20 inches) deep, the Bangkok Post reported.

Thailand has been hit by unusually heavy monsoon rains in the past months, killing more than 500 people in flood-related incidents and affecting thousands of villages. Late last month, Thai Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra assumed powers under the natural disaster law, giving her full authority to implement a nationwide disaster relief plan as more than one-third of the country was underwater.

In April and May, Thailand was also hit by flooding in the country's southern region, causing billions in damages to their fishing industry, industrial sector, tourism, and business and trade, among other areas.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-11-08

Is the thread title "740 locations" correct? The body of the article only references "At least 470 locations..."

the 470 are flooded with over 80 cm, whilst the others are up to 80cm

No ... there's no mention of "more" places that are flooded. I'd go with the "740" being a mistake.

It is clear that with BNO news (BIG NUMBERS ONLY), readers should just change any three digit numbers to "many" or "plenty".

And Nation articles ... well they don't pay very well and you have probably heard the modern Thai proverb: "If you pay peanuts, you get ... "

AFP seems to have slightly more facts and with slightly better translation and verification but with way too much reliance on the 70% stock paragraph background information to pad out the story as is the standard wire service formula for the benefit of readers just finding out Thailand is flooded.

Yes, it's true.

Lot's of educated people in the rest of the world still have no idea what's happening in Thailand because the news organizations don't consider it "newsworthy".

When TVF members provide facts on the ground about their situation and when members share perspective based on personal expertise in a certain area, TVF can be one of the best sources of info.

Unfortunately, lately, it has been a bit thin on facts and rather heavy on harangues and rhetoric and even people trying to save the PMs reputation despite the Lake of Thailand we can all see.

Right. There is nobody in Thailand who could do a better job than the PM.

I must agree.

There is nobody who could have more masterfully destroyed the independent farmers of the country and put food production, processing and distribution more completely in the hands of CP.

And only a genius could have found a way to create restoration projects out of totally raped forests that will enable billions of US$ in restoration funds to be siphoned off.

Plus, taking everything away from millions of people and than making it easy for them to sell their souls and the souls of their children to the banks by giving them "help" in the form of loans (debt) and claiming it's a rescue package is BRILLIANT!

And certainly it would be impossible to find a more heartless person who would be willing to do this to their own country and their own people ... then smile and give the thumbs up and tell people sitting in floods for weeks to "be patient".

There is no more suitable Thai on the planet to pilot this project and she gets my vote for orchestrating the most stunning display of exploiting the trusting average citizen I have seen anywhere on the planet in my lifetime. And I've been around for awhile.

I just cannot do the subject of flooding in Bangkok justice. I am truly dumbfounded and befuddled.

I have been masterfully manipulated so I have no idea if the water is getting higher or going down anywhere at any particular moment.

So, once again, thanks to the TVF members who are helping make sense of what is going on and giving me tips to help me make informed decisions on what to do today, this week, this month, this year and with my family.

Please don't let nonsense posts discourage you from posting more useful info, insights, maps, photos, links and comments. THANKS SO MUCH!

And very sorry for this man-made disaster that has been done to millions of people here, Thai, farang, or other.

Does 500+ dead now qualify it as mass murder? How obvious does it need to be before this can be categorized as pure class warfare of the 1% of super rich against all the rest of us?

I do not believe at all this is a "natural" disaster despite the weapon of war being water.

And I don't believe everybody in the national government was unable to mitigate the effects of the water much better than this.

How do they count the "locations"? Is each street a location, or each block or building? How many total "locations" are in Bangkok?

They measure an area 740mm away from the first at 1mm intervals, its a meaningless comment...................normal then.

It is clear that with BNO news (BIG NUMBERS ONLY), readers should just change any three digit numbers to "many" or "plenty".

And Nation articles ... well they don't pay very well and you have probably heard the modern Thai proverb: "If you pay peanuts, you get ... "

AFP seems to have slightly more facts and with slightly better translation and verification but with way too much reliance on the 70% stock paragraph background information to pad out the story as is the standard wire service formula for the benefit of readers just finding out Thailand is flooded.

Yes, it's true.

Lot's of educated people in the rest of the world still have no idea what's happening in Thailand because the news organizations don't consider it "newsworthy".

When TVF members provide facts on the ground about their situation and when members share perspective based on personal expertise in a certain area, TVF can be one of the best sources of info.

Unfortunately, lately, it has been a bit thin on facts and rather heavy on harangues and rhetoric and even people trying to save the PMs reputation despite the Lake of Thailand we can all see.

Right. There is nobody in Thailand who could do a better job than the PM.

I must agree.

There is nobody who could have more masterfully destroyed the independent farmers of the country and put food production, processing and distribution more completely in the hands of CP.

And only a genius could have found a way to create restoration projects out of totally raped forests that will enable billions of US$ in restoration funds to be siphoned off.

Plus, taking everything away from millions of people and than making it easy for them to sell their souls and the souls of their children to the banks by giving them "help" in the form of loans (debt) and claiming it's a rescue package is BRILLIANT!

And certainly it would be impossible to find a more heartless person who would be willing to do this to their own country and their own people ... then smile and give the thumbs up and tell people sitting in floods for weeks to "be patient".

There is no more suitable Thai on the planet to pilot this project and she gets my vote for orchestrating the most stunning display of exploiting the trusting average citizen I have seen anywhere on the planet in my lifetime. And I've been around for awhile.

I just cannot do the subject of flooding in Bangkok justice. I am truly dumbfounded and befuddled.

I have been masterfully manipulated so I have no idea if the water is getting higher or going down anywhere at any particular moment.

So, once again, thanks to the TVF members who are helping make sense of what is going on and giving me tips to help me make informed decisions on what to do today, this week, this month, this year and with my family.

Please don't let nonsense posts discourage you from posting more useful info, insights, maps, photos, links and comments. THANKS SO MUCH!

And very sorry for this man-made disaster that has been done to millions of people here, Thai, farang, or other.

Does 500+ dead now qualify it as mass murder? How obvious does it need to be before this can be categorized as pure class warfare of the 1% of super rich against all the rest of us?

I do not believe at all this is a "natural" disaster despite the weapon of war being water.

And I don't believe everybody in the national government was unable to mitigate the effects of the water much better than this.

As a English man who has spent the last twenty UK winter years in Bangkok, I have been following this forum with much interest because frankly here in the UK there is bugger all news in the main media about the Thai floods.

The above post is the best I've read - thank you 'plumeria'

I am due to fly out in 3 weeks for my six month stay, however, judging from these posts things are NOT getting better in Bangkok as the PM has stated.

Looks like I'll be canceling my flight...

Peace...Captain Peacock

Already, nearly everything Thai has to go through Bkk. For decades there've been concerted efforts to make Bkk the center of everything Thai. Of course, that includes the airport, so nearly 100% of all flights coming from outside, have to go first to Bkk. IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE THIS WAY. With a modicum of creative thinking/planning the whole paradigm could be adjusted for the better. If common sense affected leaders' decisions, Bkk would be phased out as the center of all things Thai. It's like a sinking out-dated boat. You cut your losses and go on to a better locale. Many of the major cities of antiquity are either under water, under sand, or have been phased out, AND THAT'S NOT ALWAYS A BAD THING.

How do they count the "locations"? Is each street a location, or each block or building? How many total "locations" are in Bangkok?

They measure an area 740mm away from the first at 1mm intervals, its a meaningless comment...................normal then.

Or is that 470mm????? :rolleyes: