Bangkok To Be Submerged Under Water In 50 Years: International Experts

webfact

International Experts: Bangkok to be Submerged under Water in 50 Years

Many international experts believe that due to global warming, Bangkok will be permanently submerged under water within 50 years.

The foreign press reported that the current flood, which has now engulfed a quarter of Bangkok's total area is a clear demonstration that the capital of Thailand is sinking slowly and at a great risk of being submerged under water due to global climate change.

Bangkok is located only about 30 kilometers from the Gulf of Thailand and may face between 19 to 29 centimeters or higher sea levels within the next 50 years due to the effects of global warming; judging by the annual rise in the water levels of the Chao Phraya River and repeated overflows.

The global warming effect is not the only reason behind the sinking of Bangkok.

Over the past years, groundwater under the capital has had to be pumped out in order to sustain industrial growth and a population of more than ten million.

According to reports composed by the World Bank, the Asian Development Bank, and the Japan International Cooperation Agency, Bangkok had been sinking by about 10 centimeters per year, though this has slowed down to about one centimeter since the late 1970s after the government decided to prohibit the over-use of groundwater.

Because of the sinking ground and rising sea level problems, Bangkok is listed among the ten largest cities that might be flooded by sea water by 2070.

The foreign press has also indicated that all of Bangkok is likely to be deluged by the current flood.

The BBC pointed out that the Thai government has not been able to protect its capital because of the extensive canal systems in the region and the continually rising water level.

Meanwhile, attempts to drain the floodwater into the sea have been relatively slow.

CNN has quoted a government official saying that the situation is still under control.

However, that does not seem to be the case as the businesses located in Bangkok's inner areas are suffering because they have been cut off, as transportation in the capital is paralyzed.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-11-08

footer_n.gif

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

An ice age will kick in in a couple of days ... or, to be more specific, the day after tomorrow.

And if we're lucky enough to escape that, Bangkok will be underwater when "everything" happens in 12 months.

But I reckon the "experts" have it wrong. The politicians are saying it's all going to clear up in 2 weeks.

Edited by whybother

The mainstream estimates of sea rise are about half an inch in the last 100 years (some say less). This would be a problem for Bangkok if the people and buildings could be damaged by half an inch of water. But I have been there and I remember that the people and buildings are much taller than that.

Of course any opportunity to beat the drum for the old warming chestnut.

Sticking a city in the middle of a river delta might be the primary cause of the Bangkok flooding, but I am just thinking out loud here.

Seems to me we have misjudged the current government . Looks as it is actually proactive in letting the deluge come as a practice for the upcoming projected submerging of Bangkok. Plainly they are having prophetic dreams. whistling.gif

Dreaming.jpg

Edited by siampolee

Edited to take out the fantasy aspect

Posted Today, 12:25 International Experts: Bangkok to be Submerged under Water in 50 Years

Many international experts believe that due to global warming, Bangkok will be permanently submerged under water within 50 years.

The foreign press reported that the current flood, which has now engulfed a quarter of Bangkok's total area is a clear demonstration that the capital of Thailand is sinking slowly and at a great risk of being submerged under water due to global climate change.

Bangkok is located only about 30 kilometers from the Gulf of Thailand and may face between 19 to 29 centimeters or higher sea levels within the next 50 years due to the effects of global warming; judging by the annual rise in the water levels of the Chao Phraya River and repeated overflows.

The global warming effect is not the only reason behind the sinking of Bangkok.

Over the past years, groundwater under the capital has had to be pumped out in order to sustain industrial growth and a population of more than ten million.

According to reports composed by the World Bank, the Asian Development Bank, and the Japan International Cooperation Agency, Bangkok had been sinking by about 10 centimeters per year, though this has slowed down to about one centimeter since the late 1970s after the government decided to prohibit the over-use of groundwater.

Because of the sinking ground and rising sea level problems, Bangkok is listed among the ten largest cities that might be flooded by sea water by 2070.

The foreign press has also indicated that all of Bangkok is likely to be deluged by the current flood.

The BBC pointed out that the Thai government has not been able to protect its capital because of the extensive canal systems in the region and the continually rising water level.

Meanwhile, attempts to drain the floodwater into the sea have been relatively slow.

CNN has quoted a government official saying that the situation is still under control.

However, that does not seem to be the case as the businesses located in Bangkok's inner areas are suffering because they have been cut off, as transportation in the capital is paralyzed.

Edited by travelmann

The mainstream estimates of sea rise are about half an inch in the last 100 years (some say less). This would be a problem for Bangkok if the people and buildings could be damaged by half an inch of water. But I have been there and I remember that the people and buildings are much taller than that.

Of course any opportunity to beat the drum for the old warming chestnut.

Sticking a city in the middle of a river delta might be the primary cause of the Bangkok flooding, but I am just thinking out loud here.

Dont be ridiculous DENIER DENIER yer PANTS ON FIRE!! Burn him at the stake, string him up, shame on you, long live the ................ooooooooooooooooooops nooooooooooooooooooo nooooooooooooo

My prediction: Within two years Bangkok will be under water. Thais could avoid it if they do something drastic before the rains start again, but we all know they won't. This year political fighting and crime will increase due to this years disaster. The economy will tank because Thailand will not be able to dig themselves out of this current flooding before next rainy season.

Thailand won;t be the only country to have multitudes of disasters and economic problems.

Just my prediction.

Seems to me we have misjudged the current government . Looks as it is actually proactive in letting the deluge come as a practice for the upcoming projected submerging of Bangkok. Plainly they are having prophetic dreams. whistling.gif

Dreaming.jpg

You mean like an exercice for what to come?:blink: (Sorry for the double post)

Unless I live to see 90, which is unlikely, looks like I'll miss the party.

Anyone remember the movie Water World? Horrible movie, but Bangkok will adapt and the people will find a way to live there.

Why would they bother? What's so special about it?

Anyone remember the movie Water World? Horrible movie, but Bangkok will adapt and the people will find a way to live there.

We will all have to live somewhere. Pattaya with an extra 12mill people, you ready for that?

Here we go. I just saw this on yahoo and maybe whoever runs the country should make one also. The thing is impressive...

"Tokyo's gigantic flood prevention system

The Metropolitan Area Outer Underground Discharge Channel, also known as the G-Cans Project or the "Underground Temple", is an subterranean water infrastructure project built to protect the capital Tokyo against floodwaters during rain and typhoon seasons. It is believed to be one of the largest water collection facilities in the world. Building began in 1992 and the massive structure now consists of five concrete silos, a large water tanks and 59 pillars connected to a number of pumps that can pump up to 200 tons of water into the Edogawa River per second. It has also become a tourist attraction, as well as a location for movies, TV shows and commercials."

http://news.yahoo.com/photos/tokyo-s-gigantic-flood-prevention-system-1319761029-slideshow/1-photo-1319757337.html

post-38575-0-77248900-1320738429_thumb.j

Looking forward to all politicians, saying they didn't see that one coming and all the TV posters that will blame it on the (then ) current government!

You mean like an exercice for what to come?:blink:

It's called a "dress rehearsal"!

"Bangkok To Be Submerged Under Water In 50 Years: International Experts"

I have a feeling these International Experts are off by 50 years. Are you blind or something?

This is a plot by the international bankers to buy the land cheap.

The best investment to day for the next 6 months is real estate in Bangkok just watch who is buying

The rich of the riches and who is selling is the poor

Yes I am one of those looking to buy

We will all have to live somewhere. Pattaya with an extra 12mill people, you ready for that?

There is lots of land in Thailand other than Pattaya that isn't doomed to the waters. I realize Bangkok is a great city but bottom line the most special things about it are the river and the historic buildings. I just don't have any confidence the Thai government can get it together to make the hard political decision, which would directly hurt rich and powerful people, to effect a save Bangkok plan. Do you?

Here we go. I just saw this on yahoo and maybe whoever runs the country should make one also. The thing is impressive...

The Metropolitan Area Outer Underground Discharge Channel, also known as the G-Cans Project or the "Underground Temple", is an subterranean water infrastructure project built to protect the capital Tokyo against floodwaters during rain and typhoon seasons. It is believed to be one of the largest water collection facilities in the world. Building began in 1992 and the massive structure now consists of five concrete silos, a large water tanks and 59 pillars connected to a number of pumps that can pump up to 200 tons of water into the Edogawa River per second. It has also become a tourist attraction, as well as a location for movies, TV shows and commercials."

http://news.yahoo.co...1319757337.html

Well, the problem is, that even with a total holding capasity of 676,000 m3 in the Tokyo project, Bangkok will need a system that is 20,000 times bigger to contain the water that is currently north of the city. You want to start dig now?

http://news.yahoo.co...1319757337.html

You should see the one below Istanbul; or is it Rome? Whatever.

There is lots of land in Thailand other than Pattaya that isn't doomed to the waters. I realize Bangkok is a great city but bottom line the most special things about it are the river and the historic buildings. I just don't have any confidence the Thai government can get it together to make the hard political decision, which would directly hurt rich and powerful people, to effect a save Bangkok plan. Do you?

True. And a primate city on a flood plain is a disaster waiting to happen as "development" occurs. The only question remaining is is this year the big disaster or just an indication or foretaste of what is to come?