Tuktuk Driivers Scam Tourists

farangchef

^^'...in Bangkok a metered taxi is cheaper, from my experience, over any distance.'

So true. I was reluctant at first,for fear of gouging; but I was pleasantly surprised how inexpensive and direct to destination they are. I now use nothing but taxis in Bangkok.

I've not yet tried the few metered taxis I've seen in CMai, for probably an unfounded fear of gouging; can anyone enlighten?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^'...in Bangkok a metered taxi is cheaper, from my experience, over any distance.'

So true. I was reluctant at first,for fear of gouging; but I was pleasantly surprised how inexpensive and direct to destination they are. I now use nothing but taxis in Bangkok.

I've not yet tried the few metered taxis I've seen in CMai, for probably an unfounded fear of gouging; can anyone enlighten?

Buddha is supposed to do just that , if you want and ask

Sadly it doesn't work that way in Chiang Mai.. Or any other town outside of BKK that has meter taxis, like Phuket and Pattaya. Songthaew red buses are the way to go. Unless you don't mind paying 100 baht and up for any distance no matter how short. Also they don't cruise around like they do in BKK; it's mostly on appointment unless at certain hot spots like the airport.

I love the tuk-tuks. But then too, I usually grab them at Central Airport Plaza, where there's a big sign clearly showing what the rates are to the various destinations in town. Had one take me to a destination that was 90B on the sign, waited five minutes, and then returned me to where we started, all for 120B.

Beats the snot out of the experience in Bangkok or Pattaya (though I do greatly prefer the baht buses to the songthaews). And if you're coming from the Philippines, then you're comparing with the trike drivers, and believe me, there is absolutely no comparison here (unless you're way out in the provinces, then it can be a decent experience).

Except, in Phuket all you have are those tuk tuks. In Chiang Mai, tuk tuks are blissfully a tourist side-show to the actual public transport, provided by those Red Bus songthaews. (converted pick-ups. ). Not saying that none of those drivers ever try it on with tourists, but by and large if you know the lay of the land they are a solid public transport option.

This is definitely the way to go. I have visited C.M. regulary over the past 7 or 8 years. From the bus station, to a destination on a regular route, 5 to 10 minutes away, a tuk tuk will quote 100 baht. This fare can be negotiated down, but now I can not be bothered. I hail a red bus (on the move). The standard fare quoted (always ask first) is 30 baht. 99% of the time I am the only pax and go direct to my destination.

This is not Phuket.

The price of a tuk tuk is negotiable. If you don't like the price you have been quoted, ask another driver, simple as that. You can also try negotiating.

One thing for sure is you will not get a ride for under 50 Baht. Thais don't complain, why do so many foreigners whine all over this forum over 10, 20, or 30 Baht? What is wrong with some of you people? This is not the Thailand it was 20 years ago. Have any of you whiners taken a look at what it costs to feed a family and send kids to school in Thailand these days? These people that operate tuk tuks and songtaews are barely getting by. I know a tuk tuk driver personally. He rents his tuk tuk. His rent is something like 15,000 per month. If he is one day late on the payment, thugs show up at his house warning him that he has 3 days to pay. On the 4th day his tuk tuk is confiscated if he has not paid. Come on whiners, get real.

This is not a scam.

The price of renting a tuk tuk has gone up hugely then. Three years ago a mate of mine was paying 185bt a day to rent a tuktuk. Add onto that the 100bt he had to pay for gas and he had to make 285bt before he began to see a profit. He did rent a song thaew for a while and that cost 12,000bt a month but he had to put down a 15,000bt deposit. Tuktuks don't require a deposit to rent.

I hail a red bus (on the move). The standard fare quoted (always ask first) is 30 baht. 99% of the time I am the only pax and go direct to my destination.

Never ask the price first unless you know you're going out of the way.

Just state your destination and if he nods yes, give him 20 Baht when you get off.

If he's prepared to take you 'out of the way' he'll state a price, which is also negotiable.

Edited by uptheos

iv lived in cm about 5 years i drive but never drink drive always use a tuk tuk if im goin for a beer my advice is find a tuk tuk driver that gives you a good deal i know a few

as iv lived here a while they normally are in the same spots every day they never forget your face something that always surprises me about thais is there ability to never forget a face

in general i find them really decent when you get to know them in fact and i promise im not making this up iv been given free tuk tuk rides on the odd time iv felt like walking home if one of the guys i use

is passing the same way as me back to his pitch these people have very little in life and of course the temptation is to try it on a bit but iv never had a rude comment or any problem if iv said

i think that's to much i find if you smile and have a bit of fun with them then 9 times out of 10 you will both get a fair deal that your both happy with

its just part of life here so just try to have fun with it there nothing like phuket tuk tuk drivers they really are the pits

enjoy your day

Spot on. I have far more sympathy for the tuk tuk driver who has a tough life than a whinging foreigner who isn't being forced to do anything he doesn't want to do.

You really think the Tuk Tuk drivers have a tougher life than foreigners...? The foreigner escapes from his/her life and goes to Thailand... So far I met more unhappy foreigners than unhappy Thais.

I hate Tuk Tuk + drivers, the way they drive and how they approach you. Tuk Tuks are also more polluting than songtheaws.

Why are metered taxis not like taxis in BKK?

I donot know which is worse, post about sin sod, double pricing, or if it cost more than 5baht it is a scam----BORING. I had to pay 12baht yesterday for lemon ice tea and it cost me 12 baht must have been a scam because 10 years ago it cost 5 baht. But I do know a scam and it is starbucks some where around 100baht for a lemon ice tea.

atalos.

re ... I've not yet tried the few metered taxis I've seen in CMai, for probably an unfounded fear of gouging; can anyone enlighten?

ill probably get shot down here but going by these notice boards at arcade bus station

outside the zoo . wat prah singh and chiang mai airport

taxis and tuk tuks are regulated by the council .. government or someone ?

i own a bike so i dont use any taxis tuk tuks or songthews and i dont doubt some of them try it on

a bit and you can try to negotiate from there but i really dont thnk they would gouge you badly

like we hear of in phuket but some smart a#rse in here will know better

dave 2 ... going to get my flak jacket now : (

post-42592-0-57539200-1320844838_thumb.j

post-42592-0-57948600-1320844908_thumb.j

post-42592-0-38146100-1320844956_thumb.j

post-42592-0-03360200-1320844993_thumb.j

post-42592-0-65901400-1320845044_thumb.j

post-42592-0-02049200-1320845120_thumb.j

iv lived in cm about 5 years i drive but never drink drive always use a tuk tuk if im goin for a beer my advice is find a tuk tuk driver that gives you a good deal i know a few

as iv lived here a while they normally are in the same spots every day they never forget your face something that always surprises me about thais is there ability to never forget a face

in general i find them really decent when you get to know them in fact and i promise im not making this up iv been given free tuk tuk rides on the odd time iv felt like walking home if one of the guys i use

is passing the same way as me back to his pitch these people have very little in life and of course the temptation is to try it on a bit but iv never had a rude comment or any problem if iv said

i think that's to much i find if you smile and have a bit of fun with them then 9 times out of 10 you will both get a fair deal that your both happy with

its just part of life here so just try to have fun with it there nothing like phuket tuk tuk drivers they really are the pits

enjoy your day

bravo!

it's definitely not a scam - a scam is when they scam you, not when you disagree with the price. There's no tuk tuk mafia in Chiang Mai like there is in Phuket. And you can always flag a Songthao which will eventually get you there for 15 or 20 baht (just never ask the price in a songthao, that's inviting trouble)

I am happy to give them 100 baht if it's a busy day and I am going far - seems to be the rate from Nimman to the city for example.

Oh and if you are a tourist, NEVER go with a "free" or "10 baht all day" tuk tuk. Those are the actual scams. Pretty rare, but I think they still exist. They'll either take you to buy some wonderfully discounted gems, or some other scammy place.

The Taxi-Meter is I think an insider joke in Chiang Mai. None of them have meters, or will go for a metered rate. If you ask "but... it says "Taxi-Meter"... they'll laugh. One of them even explained to me there's no way he'd make enough money if he actually had a meter.

I think it's quite funny too: To not offer the one feature that receives the most attention in your advertising. TIT :D :D

Edited by nikster

<br />
<br />This is not Phuket.<br /><br />The price of a tuk tuk is negotiable. If you don't like the price you have been quoted, ask another driver, simple as that. You can also try negotiating.<br /><br />One thing for sure is you will not get a ride for under 50 Baht. Thais don't complain, why do so many foreigners whine all over this forum over 10, 20, or 30 Baht? What is wrong with some of you people? This is not the Thailand it was 20 years ago. Have any of you whiners taken a look at what it costs to feed a family and send kids to school in Thailand these days? These people that operate tuk tuks and songtaews are barely getting by. I know a tuk tuk driver personally. He rents his tuk tuk. His rent is something like 15,000 per month. If he is one day late on the payment, thugs show up at his house warning him that he has 3 days to pay. On the 4th day his tuk tuk is confiscated if he has not paid. Come on whiners, get real.<br /><br />This is not a scam.<br />
<br /><br />The price of renting a tuk tuk has gone up hugely then. Three years ago a mate of mine was paying 185bt a day to rent a tuktuk. Add onto that the 100bt he had to pay for gas and he had to make 285bt before he began to see a profit. He did rent a song thaew for a while and that cost 12,000bt a month but he had to put down a 15,000bt deposit. Tuktuks don't require a deposit to rent.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Three years ago the expat club had a tuk tuk driver that was about the price he quoted including insurance. That is a fair amount of work before you can start making food money. Perhaps if there were fewer tuk tuks they would be able to do better.

The green and yellow taxis have meters, have used them from the airport. With the airport 50 baht fee and the meter cost 100 baht to my room. Just call my tuk- tuk driver friend pay him 100 and he helps me with bags to room. It is good to get to know a driver, when I was admitted to Ram Hospital last trip my tuk-tuk driver helped me with bags and also delivered food to me in the hospital, get tired of that hospital stuff after a few days, yes I did pay him standard fare and tip but no body else was doing it.

Folks stop being so cheap with these guys there all just trying to support there family and themselves and as we all know it isn't so cheap here anymore.

The green and yellow taxis have meters, have used them from the airport. With the airport 50 baht fee and the meter cost 100 baht to my room. Just call my tuk- tuk driver friend pay him 100 and he helps me with bags to room. It is good to get to know a driver, when I was admitted to Ram Hospital last trip my tuk-tuk driver helped me with bags and also delivered food to me in the hospital, get tired of that hospital stuff after a few days, yes I did pay him standard fare and tip but no body else was doing it.

Folks stop being so cheap with these guys there all just trying to support there family and themselves and as we all know it isn't so cheap here anymore.

When was that? I ask because I was at the airport last month and tried to get a taxi. They wanted 250 Baht to my house. Previously it was 200 including the 50 Baht fee. We asked the girl who was coordinating and she said that there just been a 50 Baht increase last month. We had kept the card of the guy who took us from our house to the airport a week before and we called him and he was there in 5 minutes and took us for 200. Up until about 8 months ago it was 150 for the same fare...

I really don't think any taxis in C.M. have used a meter in about 18 months now.

And I agree it is not cheap here anymore so people have to stop being so cheap and get used to it. The driver we had is a good guy who is driving day and night in order to pay for his 10 year old daughter to attend private school. We found his number on a Thai web board and he almost always drives Thais as he does not speak a word of English. He told us that Thais never complain about the cost of the taxi; only farangs do.

Your last statement may be generally true for most drivers. However, there are drivers that are tryiing to gouge people on the prices, which is not unique to Chiang Mai.

You can deal with a problem... much better than ignoring a problem. It's like pain..... ignoring pain is not a good thing to do... dealing with pain is a better way, in my opinion.

MSPain

You can deal with a problem... much better than ignoring a problem. It's like pain..... ignoring pain is not a good thing to do... dealing with pain is a better way, in my opinion.

MSPain

Are you referring to dealings with your good self? biggrin.gif

MSPain

Don't know if I would refer to my self as "good" !

MSPain

Is that because ignoring Pain is not a good thing to do? wink.gif

MSPain

Is that because ignoring Pain is not a good thing to do? wink.gif

I think everyone ignores Pain (and yes, I do)... it's ignoring pain that can cause someone problems.

I donot know which is worse, post about sin sod, double pricing, or if it cost more than 5baht it is a scam----BORING. I had to pay 12baht yesterday for lemon ice tea and it cost me 12 baht must have been a scam because 10 years ago it cost 5 baht. But I do know a scam and it is starbucks some where around 100baht for a lemon ice tea.

Indeed; expats get scammed every day in Rimping and the like when they insist on buying Western foods because for some reason they cannot, or will not, eat Thai food for the most part, which is cheap and easily available. Don't see them whinging about the price of Western food but they moan like hell about paying 50 Baht to get to the shops. Amazing Expats !

Indeed; expats get scammed every day in Rimping and the like when they insist on buying Western foods because for some reason they cannot, or will not, eat Thai food for the most part, which is cheap and easily available. Don't see them whinging about the price of Western food but they moan like hell about paying 50 Baht to get to the shops. Amazing Expats !

Just wait until they have dealt with the beer Drought for a couple more days!

MSPain

I think for the most part, I eat a variety of cuisines, including those from the west. We don't moan about that because we are used to it, having no doubt done the same in our home countries. It doesnt have to be expensive either.

What I do like to moan about is people whinging because not everyone has to survive on 20 baht meals, and the people that try and twist that to being someone not being worthy of living here. You will find many Thai people eating international cuisine, albeit perhaps a Thai with a bit more money than another Thai. That must really put your head in a spin!

When was that? I ask because I was at the airport last month and tried to get a taxi. They wanted 250 Baht to my house. Previously it was 200 including the 50 Baht fee. We asked the girl who was coordinating and she said that there just been a 50 Baht increase last month. We had kept the card of the guy who took us from our house to the airport a week before and we called him and he was there in 5 minutes and took us for 200. Up until about 8 months ago it was 150 for the same fare...

I really don't think any taxis in C.M. have used a meter in about 18 months now.

And I agree it is not cheap here anymore so people have to stop being so cheap and get used to it. The driver we had is a good guy who is driving day and night in order to pay for his 10 year old daughter to attend private school. We found his number on a Thai web board and he almost always drives Thais as he does not speak a word of English. He told us that Thais never complain about the cost of the taxi; only farangs do.

I used a taxi from airport in Feb. 50 baht airport charge 48 baht meter charge to my room at Smith Residence near Chiang mai gate. This was the last time I used the taxi can't speak for any time since. When I arrived last week just called my tuk-tuk guy from bangkok and he met me at door 2 and away we went 100 baht to room all to him.

As we all know things can change very fast here especially if it envolves money.

Edited by moe666

I think for the most part, I eat a variety of cuisines, including those from the west. We don't moan about that because we are used to it, having no doubt done the same in our home countries. It doesnt have to be expensive either.

What I do like to moan about is people whinging because not everyone has to survive on 20 baht meals, and the people that try and twist that to being someone not being worthy of living here. You will find many Thai people eating international cuisine, albeit perhaps a Thai with a bit more money than another Thai. That must really put your head in a spin!

Indeed. Many of my Thai friends love to eat at the Sizzler. Some have modest means but will save up all week to spoil themselves on the weekend. They don't moan about the prices either! Just take a peek in any Sizzler in Thailand at any time of the day and you will find perhaps 75% Thai clientele. Here in C.M. Thais love to eat at the Dukes.

I think it's time to start a new thread entitled...'People who moan and whinge at people who moan and whinge' !!

You are all pissed off because the tuk tuk driver wanted 50 baht for a short trip? To take you exactly where you wanted to go without any other passengers? Come on....it's less than $2 American....

Just knew it wouldn't be long before a TV poster decided to slander someone's nationality. Can't change the stripes on a Zebra.